President Nelson announces 12 new temples for global church

• Terry29 Gadsden, AL
    Oct. 14, 2018 8:15 p.m.

It brings tears to my eyes hearing how the members react to the announcement of new temples and where they are. Remember when the Rome, Italy, temple was announced! And the Washington County, Utah, temple! We love our temples! We are close to shouting, "Hosanna!"

• Oatmeal Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 8, 2018 12:32 p.m.

"Seems like the LDS culture promotes reverence and shouting out in a meeting isn't encouraged anywhere else."

"Reverence" does not mean silence. It means "deep respect for someone or something." Sometimes a little volume is required to truly be reverent. One of my favorite stories is the account in Luke 19: 37-40 about Jesus' triumphal entry into Jerusalem.

"And when he was come nigh, even now at the descent of the mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen; Saying, Blessed be the King that cometh in the name of the Lord: peace in heaven, and glory in the highest.

"And some of the Pharisees from among the multitude said unto him, Master, rebuke thy disciples. And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out."

Let's just say when temples are announced for a person's home or place of missionary service, the presence of God grows so close that if some Saints did not shout out in joy, the very stones would cry out.

• PacificCreek Puyallup, WA
    Oct. 8, 2018 10:14 a.m.

I get that people are excited when a temple is announced in their area but the outbursts in conference surprise me. Seems like the LDS culture promotes reverence and shouting out in a meeting isn't encouraged anywhere else. I will admit that we did make comments as they were being announced and was especially excited for the Philippines as I have many friends there.

Maybe I am just getting old and all you young whippersnappers need to stay off my lawn....

• mhenshaw Leesburg, VA
    Oct. 8, 2018 6:04 a.m.

>>What is the membership growth looking like?

The Church hasn't updated its facts and statistics page for 2018 yet (haven't reached the end of the year); but --

Year Total Membership
    201315,082,028
    201415,372,337
    201515,634,199
    201615,882,417
    201716,118,169

So 1.1 million new members over five years as of last December. A bit of a slowdown towards the end, but still a good rate of growth. The church wouldn't be building new temples if the total membership wasn't growing. And note that some of these new temples will be in countries where the church previously hasn't had many members (India, Cambodia, etc). I think that's a good sign.

For those who wish the church's growth was more explosive (or who want to criticize it for not being more explosive), remember that this is a global church and truly explosive growth would create all kinds of logistical issues that we're probably not ready to manage. So moderate-and-steady growth is more desirable at this point.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 11:35 p.m.

When I was a youngster there were just ten temples. Years would pass before even one new temple would be announced. We lived in Bountiful when our stake president (an attorney) was sent to Mexico to negotiate with the Mexican government to build the first temple in that country (and all of South America). Prior to the revelation on the Black people and the priesthood, and prior to the Berlin wall coming down, some church leaders said these things would happen, but not during our lifetimes. Now I have witnessed an acceleration of temple growth, the inclusion of worthy members of ALL nationalities, as well as adjustments to the way things are done, to accommodate a world wide membership. This is truly an amazing time to be alive!

It has been said that we can choose to join in the work or not, but we cannot stop the work of the Lord. I like being a part of it, how about you?

• 79Grad Orange County, CA
    Oct. 7, 2018 9:27 p.m.

I think he meant to say Washington County and I’m not sure.

• utah cornhusker Norfolk, NE
    Oct. 7, 2018 9:16 p.m.

So happy for Davao, Philippines. Now when done, they won’t have to travel to Manila and Cebu which is a long ways from Davao and with it being a impoverished nation it is so hard for them to travel. God bless the Philippines and the church.

• Rightasrain Heber City, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 6:33 p.m.

I think he meant to say Wasatch County not Washington but I’m not sure.

• MoreMan San Diego, CA
    Oct. 7, 2018 6:24 p.m.

Like a stone hand cut from a mountain rolling forth. What is the membership growth looking like?

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 4:11 p.m.

This fulfills past prophecies of temples dotting the globe. Isn't this wonderful!?!