Utes bounce back to defeat No. 14 Stanford, 40-21

• zipadeedoodah Lehi, UT
    Oct. 9, 2018 12:06 p.m.

Congrats to the Utes!!!

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Oct. 9, 2018 8:35 a.m.

Any true fan wants all teams in state to do well.

Why wouldn't you?

Beyond that, "best in state" can't be known unless the presumed top 3 teams play each other. You can't tell me that BYU and Utah isn't a unique game each year. Usu gears up for BYU like no other game they play as well, so each match is very unique and so this year nobody can say who would win out in a game.

The way USU played last Friday night was amazing - if they come out like that against boise and the championship game then they'll be deserving of a NY6.

All I can do is hope for the best - I want byu to play the best in state teams so I just want all teams to win.

• ArizonaUte SLC, UT
    Oct. 8, 2018 2:49 p.m.

@london_josh - Lincoln, CA

Excellent take. Our teams are going to win some and, unfortunately, going to lose some.

Let's celebrate the wins and while frustrating, support our teams in their losses.

Who is the best college football team in the state? Who knows. And frankly, who cares? Just play the teams on your schedule and try and win those games.

I have seen national rankings. I have yet to see a state ranking that ins't a list of High School teams.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Oct. 8, 2018 12:38 a.m.

Oregon ute,

Spot on about BYU fans.

As a byu fan I'm sick of the hysteria, it's like those who can't use an automatic car thermometer but instead go from high heat to max cool over and over again.

Both BYU and Utah have had ugly weeks and both have looked great.

If your a fan, be a fan. I'm a fan, I was at the game, stayed until the end with my kids, traffic was easy getting home because the rest of the BYU fans were gone and usu fans celebrated.

I'm not fond of fickle fans.

Wilson looked good, but garbage time. Tanner had a lot of great passes and the problems went beyond him. Wilson should have gone in during the 3rd to upset the momentum usu had - and in that case we can evaluate him.

I think that there are more byu fans, but Utah fans seem more solid than byu fans. I'm a byu fan to the core, but in many ways I'm more like the Utah fans when I'm at a PAC game wearing red. Whatever team you have support them. Byu-usu was the only byu game I'll get to go to this year, I had my sons with me, the outcome was rough but I can still say that I loved being there.

• Oregon Ute Hermiston, OR
    Oct. 7, 2018 8:57 p.m.

Great win for the Utes. Great win for USU. Those Y fans who are calling for Mangum's head need to chill. You can't judge his backup by watching his mop up time against backups. If you think you know better than the coaches who see them play day in and day out then you are awfully arrogant. BYU will get back in the win column soon, until then, just chill a bit.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 7, 2018 8:35 p.m.

“Most USU fans wouldn't argue that. Most would argue they would be 5-0.”

You made a funny! HaHa!

Go Utes!

p.s. Current Sagarin ratings—

U #20 [#4 SOS]
    usu #39 [#104]
    byu #72 [#10 — usu made byu’s SOS double]

• BYU/USU/JAZZ Wellsville, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 5:56 p.m.

Uteology 12:07pm
    "No sane Aggie fan would argue that USU would be 4-1 against Utah's opponents."
    Most USU fans wouldn't argue that. Most would argue they would be 5-0.

• CV Storm Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 4:51 p.m.

Still a lot of football to be played before the best team in the state can be declared. Utah State has a long history of losing games they shouldn't and Hawaii looks like they could go stride for stride with the Aggies, and Boise State is well Boise State. Utah still has Oregon, USC, and Colorado to play. Only thing that can be said is that BYU is not the best team in the state, thanks to the unexpected beatdown by USU. Unless they change quarterbacks BYU is going to see the same strategy every week. Stop the fly sweep and make BYU beat you with the pass. Or put a little pressure on their quarterback and watch him throw pick sixes. A lot has been said about the Ags and the Utes playing. I have said it before and I will say it again. The Utes have absolutely nothing to gain by playing the Aggies. If they lose it is an upset, if they win by a slim margin they are under performing, if they blow the Aggies out it is what they should of done. There is no win for the Utes by playing the Aggies. Of course I could say that the same holds true for the Utes playing the Cougars.

• SameJersey Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 3:48 p.m.

Honestly, I think it is hard to say who would actually win this year: the Aggies or the Utes.

Given these teams have one of the oldest rivalries in FBS Division I college football, it is sad they didn't meet this year.

Here is to hoping the ADs at both schools can remedy this.

Great job this weekend to both teams and I hope they do well the rest of the season.

• CougarCat Tucson, AZ
    Oct. 7, 2018 1:53 p.m.

Well done, Utes. This is the team all the sports writers were looking for in the preseason. Stanford started out well - but their last 2 games have been real downers (for them).

Whatever Whittingham fed the Utes for breakfast I want some of that too.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 7, 2018 1:24 p.m.

BlueCoug - Provo, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 10:43 a.m.
    Utah played a nearly perfect game and Stanford suffered a near perfect storm meltdown.

-----

Like BYU at Wisconsin!

The difference, Utah didn't squeak by with 3 point win when WI missed a FG.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Oct. 7, 2018 12:59 p.m.

@london_josh

Very reasonable suggestion. Utah State was the best team in the state on Friday. Utah is ahead of them in the Coaches Poll today - but only by one vote. One thing shouldn't be in dispute and that is that the Aggies are an exciting team to watch this year.

• MesaAZCoug Mesa, AZ
    Oct. 7, 2018 12:46 p.m.

Yeah, you're lucky you got a cupcake like #14 Stanford instead of a powerhouse like USU... Nope; doesn't work. USU is better than they've been getting credit for, but all the same, great job to the Utes. I really hope we can get our game together before we meet in November. I'm sick of hearing how many in a row it's been. Here's to hoping for a good game then. Cheers!

• top of the world ,
    Oct. 7, 2018 12:36 p.m.

After the last two games it was fun seeing the excitement in the Ute crowd. There is no doubt that an important aspect of any sport is taking advantage of opportunites. The Utes were awesome in that regard last night...and they pretty much gave Stanford nothing in return.

Big road win on the road against a good team.

I realize the national experts feel otherwise, but here's my weekly big three. The top two have both distanced themselves from my Cougars (brilliant deduction), and they have perhaps pulled a bit closer to each other, but it remains Utah State #1, Utah #2 and BYU a very distant #3.

If Utah State wins out this personal ranking of the Big Three will remain the same, regardless of how Utah does. That is not a slam at Utah. For me, the slot I give them is Utah State's to lose, not Utah's to win. The final Aggie regular season game is at Boise. Utah's second to the last regular season game is at Colorado. There's much happening between now and then, but those two meetings loom large. If Utah qualifies for a bowl game, (no doubt about that), how about Las Vegas for both of them? Problem is, Ut St will deserve a much bigger payday at 11-1.

Keep smiling!

• SameJersey Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 12:18 p.m.

It is killing me that USU and Utah isn't an annual rivalry anymore.

I am really hoping the AD departments at both schools can figure out how to make this happen. It would have been really fun to see these two teams play this year regardless of the the outcome.

Great game, Utes. That was very impressive.

• SameJersey Kaysville, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 12:13 p.m.

I am an Aggie and a Ute, though I tend to cheer for the Aggies.

Last night made me proud to be a Ute again -- I guess it is a good weekend all around.

Good job to the brothers in red! That was an impressive win and one I was not expecting at all.

Great job defending the honor of the Beehive State, Utes!

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 7, 2018 12:07 p.m.

Allen - Riverton, UT

Whether the U is the best team in Utah, the final answer is if they can beat USU. Not just one game, though. Even the best teams have off-days.

----

Please Aggie fans stop acting like Cougar Nation, face reality.

Utah is the top football program in the state. This is not for debate, but a fact.

You have 4 good wins over Bo Diddly Tech, while Utah is 3-2 playing the nations top FOUR SOS.

No sane Aggie fan would argue USU would be 4-1 against Utah's opponents.

• Stringer Bell Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 11:31 a.m.

matman: "My Cougars will take down the mighty Utes in November though!"

AKA "whistling through the graveyard."

• GoRed Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 11:18 a.m.

worf,

No need to disparage Stanford, who Utah pounded last night. Remember, they are the only team to defeat San Diego State this year (31-10), a team who yesterday defeated Boise State.

Since Boise State will be playing both Utah State as well as BYU, let’s hold off judgement on Stanford.

• EightOhOne St. George, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 11:11 a.m.

worf - McAllen, TX

Stanford beat 2 ranked teams, and until last night, their only loss was against a probable playoff team. Now why shouldn't they have been ranked?? And I hope you don't think BYU is one of those unranked teams that could beat them

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 10:57 a.m.

“Stanford should never had been ranked! Only because they're in the PAC12. Many unranked teams could beat them.”

woof:

Funny. I was just thinking the same rhing about Wisconsin and the B1G.

• BlueCoug Provo, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 10:43 a.m.

• Wallbanger Spanish Fork, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 10:16 a.m.

Wort:

Funny, we were all thinking the same thing about your cougs. Never should have been ranked, and many unranked teams could beat them!

As for the game, I haven’t had that much fun watching a game since Utah took Oregon to the woodshed in ‘15 at Autzen Stadium and the Vegas Bowl in the same year. Oh...and the Utah State beat down on Friday! What a perfect weekend!

• CO Ute Chandler, AZ
    Oct. 7, 2018 10:03 a.m.

@UU - you were correct about one thing. There was an absolute dismantling at Stanford.

• worf McAllen, TX
    Oct. 7, 2018 9:57 a.m.

I predicted:

Utah 37
    Stanford 21

• Idaho forever South Jordan, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 9:54 a.m.

I texted "pleasant dreams" to my brother.............he texted back "....you too". Slept like a log. Keep up the good work Utes!!!!!!!!!

• Allen Riverton, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 9:54 a.m.

As a USU alum, I was glad to see USU win over BYU. I am also glad to see the U beat Stanford! Good job, guys! I like all the Utah teams to do well!

• Aggielove Caldwell, ID
    Oct. 7, 2018 9:42 a.m.

Usu at #50?
    Yea no
    Try top 25

• Mowgli54 Granite Bay, CA
    Oct. 7, 2018 9:37 a.m.

Big BYU fan here. Grew up in Palo Alto, going to Stanford Stadium all the time. Gotta say the Utes looked really good. Really clicking. Speed, power, aggressive front 7, great protection for Huntley. To beat this Stanford team away is a legit win.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 9:21 a.m.

@UU-Provo

Had to post this gem;

"Why even post this? This is going to change dramatically tomorrrow. With Utah State certainly jumping into the top-25 and Utah dropping even further down the ladder after the absolute dismantling that is about to take place against Stanford"

Good job Utes. See what happens when you hang onto the ball?

• Lia Sandy, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 9:19 a.m.

@P5proud,
    That was actually a great bet, as Stanford star Bryce Love was out.
    Utes +5 was tempting, and we took it.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Oct. 7, 2018 9:18 a.m.

I'd contend that USU was the best team in the state for a night, I think that they deserve that night.

Each team now has had a statement win, byu has a statement against Wisconsin, usu against byu and Utah now at Stanford.

The Stanford win was huge, but given that it happened a day after usu, let them wear the crown for a day. You can only beat who you play and usu has boise state and possibly a championship against sdsu to finish off what could be a near perfect season.

As a byu fan one must admit when we are defeated, no question that USU beat byu - if the Utah team that shut down Stanford shows up to the holy war Utah wins, but if the BYU team that beat Wisconsin shows up against the early Utah team byu wins - doesn't look good for my cougars right now but leave that game aside, the game that's been played is byu and usu and they rocked us.

You play the game to see who wins, Utah was so impressive last night, but you don't get awarded projected wins due to a great game, go on and win those battles.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 9:16 a.m.

I'm a Cal alumna, so I have no love for Stanford. Great game Utes! You flogged them, and in their house!
    A thing of beauty.

• dski HERRIMAN, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 9:05 a.m.

Go UTES! As a fair weather fan of Utah schools football, this is great. Hopefully, the rest of the season will be on the upswing. I hope the Utes remember, the team with a complete team execution (coaching, offense, defense and kicking) during the game, wins. Can’t wait for the next game.

• wxute Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 8:46 a.m.

Great team effort.
    Shine should be congratulated because he stepped up when he had the chance.
    Gay was key in this win with no misses.
    4-0 in the turnovers is a good start for the rest of the season.
    Despite what Gilmore said on ESPN we play Arizona in Salt Lake next Friday night!

• thebigsamoan Richmond, VA
    Oct. 7, 2018 8:30 a.m.

I have no problem giving credit where credit is due and as a diehard Cougar fan, without any reservation whatsoever, I boldly and loudly declare that both Utah and Utah State at this point are clearly head and shoulder above BYU in football, no question about it period! And after watching their last games against BYU and Standford respectively, I think they are evenly matched and I for one would love to see them play at this point. It would undoubtedly been a very intriguing match up for sure. But as it is, we'll never know! My hat is off to both those teams nonetheless for an unbelievable weekend of football. Way to represent the state of Utah! Hope they both win their conferences!

Good luck to all the Utah schools!!!

• Tudedude Heber City, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 8:19 a.m.

With 2 losses I would expect to see UTAH and UTAH state in a bowl game.

• IAMUTAH Fruita, CO
    Oct. 7, 2018 7:53 a.m.

The key was 0 turnovers and an aggressive defense. If This team shows up the rest of the year the Utes will be hard to beat. That's a big if, but I can have hope. If the Utes played USU, like they did Stanford, they would win a hard fought game, probably by a field goal at the end. USU is really good and I'll be the first to say the Aggies could be the best team in the state. Too bad we won't find out. It would be a great game. If this Utes team shows up to play byu in November the score will be worse than what the Aggies just did to them. The only way byu has a chance is if they change QB's. Mangum might as well be wearing the opposing teams jersey. He's just the gift that keeps on giving. Hopefully he stays the starter, as that is 2-3 turnovers with a guaranteed pick-6 for the Utes defense.

• UU Provo, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 7:51 a.m.

Had to post this gem

Alex T - Murray, UT
    Oct. 6, 2018 1:54 p.m.
    @Uteology

"According to national polls Utah is the top football program in the state.

#31 Utah
    #50 Utah State
    #64 BYU"

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Oct. 7, 2018 7:25 a.m.

The touted Ute secondary did some things well ( such as Johnson's pick 6), but were consistently burned by Stanford's passing. At least the defense didn't use the foolish 3 man rush except one time that I recall (resulting in a good completion down the middle). Frankly, I worry more about the defense than I do the offense. The offence is coming along pretty well. Go Utes!

• AlwaysAnAggie Hyrum, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 7:15 a.m.

Congratulations on a great win. That was the Utes that we were expecting.

• UteNationAlum Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 7:08 a.m.

45-20

40-21

2 Hour Church

What a great weekend!

• matman Provo, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 7:08 a.m.

My Cougars will take down the mighty Utes in November though!

• Go Utes Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 1:29 a.m.

Great to see a game where the Utes got out of their own way. Last week was killing me when every big play was called back for some stupid penalty. I hope this good trend from tonight continues for the rest of the season. Go Utes!!

• Valyrian Steel Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 12:41 a.m.

Utah State: “We’re the best team in the state after crushing BYU!”

Utah: “That’s cute.”

• Simple Holladay, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 12:13 a.m.

Dear Coach Shaw. Thank you for not double covering Covey. Also, Huntley finally had someone open enough that leaving it short didn't matter. Extra Bonus that Nacua caught it

• ArizonaUte SLC, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 12:09 a.m.

This is what we have been expecting out of Utah all yr.

Looks like they have identified the areas that needed to be fixed and worked on them. The Utes aren't perfect by any stretch, but nice improvement. Love to see it.

And the coaches are good enough that the improvement was also expected. After starting the season so.....crazy.

• GoRed Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 12:07 a.m.

A totally dominant victory over the #14-ranked team in the country. Utah finally put together a complete game. Kudos to everyone—-Johnson and his 100 yard pick six, Hansen, Anae, Covey, Gay, Moss, and especially Huntley. That last TD pass where Huntley got out of being sacked, then threw the touchdown pass, was incredible.

And USU/BYU fans, based on tonight’s performance, Utah is still the #1 team in the state.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 7, 2018 12:06 a.m.

jpc53 - Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 6, 2018 11:51 p.m.
    Maybe USU isn't the best team in the state.

----

They never were.

That's was just Dick Harmon and Cougar Nation envy and fantasy, desperately trying to make USU the top team after BYU fell to 3rd in state.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Oct. 7, 2018 12:00 a.m.

Like I said, we match up well with Stanford and would win something like 24-21.

I am shocked that the offense put up 33 points. Great game by Moss.

Let's continue this play next week.

Go UTES!

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 6, 2018 11:58 p.m.

Now that was Utah football. Establish the run, and then pass.

• itswhatithink West Jordan, UT
    Oct. 6, 2018 11:56 p.m.

It is obvious that Mr. Facer had a difficult time writing about an outstanding win. In reality Stanford really never came close and was never in the lead the entire game. Go Utes!

• Guido Pescatore Layton, UT
    Oct. 6, 2018 11:55 p.m.

Huntley to Nacua is one of the craziest touchdowns I have ever seen! I was expecting a loss after the 3rd quarter - way to finish men!

• P5Proud Santa Monica, CA
    Oct. 6, 2018 11:52 p.m.

Did not see this coming and I would NOT have put money on the Utes to win this. Never been so happy to be wrong wrong wrong. Thank you Tyler. Amazing win Utes!!!

• jpc53 Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Oct. 6, 2018 11:51 p.m.

Maybe USU isn't the best team in the state.

• PacUtes Orange County, CA
    Oct. 6, 2018 11:43 p.m.

Well played game.
    Aggressive and not conservative when the Utes had the lead.
    When Stanford seemed to gain some momentum to cut the Utes lead,
    Utah stepped up and played well to hold them off.
    Go Utes!

• utahute69 Laguna Niguel, CA
    Oct. 6, 2018 11:44 p.m.

Dear Coach Whit, I will get back with further comments after I finish eating this cold crow sandwich.