President Nelson issues 4 invitations during historic women's session, talks about 'eternal divine destiny'

• hbeckett Colfax, CA
    Oct. 13, 2018 11:07 a.m.

why is it so hard to just be who you are just be your divine self you can't be who you are not there is nothing wrong with being different I thought that the message that was delivered was applicable to all that is why we believe that our father directs this work we are on this earth for a particular reason just get with it and live your very best person none of us are mind readers that I am aware of just be your best self we have been taught since birth our best role in life is to serve I know because there were good examples in my life called parents who just lived and let the chips fall as they may so just live and move on about living and see how joy full it is smile and love others.

• ProudMama/Grandma Taylorsville, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 6:23 p.m.

Seriously I M LDS 2...You can't just accept that someone was trying to do something nice? When was the last time you gave some service to someone???? Did you do something that added value to their lives? Maybe they felt that same way as you did...Can't We ALL just be Nice and Kind to others and accept the good intentions of others??? Can't we all just assume Good Intent??? Let's try that instead of finding fault with someones tries at Ministering!!!

• S.M.I.L.E. Springville, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 2:18 p.m.

Hello JaneB - It sounds like you feel left out of Pres. Nelson's message? You are not alone or forgotten! Yes, our faith includes a lot of mothers with children and it includes mothers with no children. In Sister Patricia Holland's (wife of Elder Jeffrey R Holland) book "A Quiet Heart" she points out that Eve was called "mother of ALL living" before she bore children. Motherhood is not exclusive to maternity or the bearing of children. It is a state of divine qualities and gifts interwoven into our eternal natures, beings, and potential as daughters of God. In so many ways "mothering" includes mentoring, teaching, encouraging, guiding, nourishing. If you have engaged in any if those behaviors you have "mothered". ❀

• ServeHappy Springville, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 1:57 p.m.

Hi I M LDS 2 - Yes, it can feel sad when those who minister to us seem to not know us very well. I've experienced that as I'm confident many have, too. I agree with @Monicatries that clear and honest communication can go a long way to feel understood and help others understand. If I have a specific need, it would be my job and responsibility to communicate that with others who wouldn't otherwise know without my sharing with them. They remembered you in the way they knew how at the time. And I agree with @Monicatries that if you shared your health needs with them they'd likely bend over backwards to meet your need. Let them know what you need! πŸ’›

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 7, 2018 1:55 p.m.

This was an amazing talk, it's so wonderful to appreciate the women in our lives!

• K Mchenry, IL
    Oct. 7, 2018 1:50 p.m.

Creepy all these social media fasts. What does the church not women and youth to miss? Will see see a men social media fast of 14 days in a few months?

• Just saying 7 Indianapolis, IN
    Oct. 7, 2018 7:01 a.m.

In the past I would have been upset by emphasis on motherhood. I think over half of LDS women are not mothers. That is a large percentage. Yet, a wonderful, elderly, childless, very devout Catholic friend taught me about spiritual motherhood. She 'adopted' me as her spiritual child as she has done for many others who needed a spiritual mother. I believe this is the eternal perspective Pres Nelson is talking about. I believe this nurturing stewardship applies to nature and animals as well. Women as protectors and promoters of life. All of which God blesses. A 'blesser' may be another name for mother.

• Monicatries Idaho Falls, ID
    Oct. 7, 2018 6:56 a.m.

Dear I AM LDS 2,
    I read your comment and you are so right, "Actually adding value to people's lives is not simple nor easy." I worry all the time that I'm missing the mark on helping people as they want, in lieu of my awkward guesses as to what they need. It's hard to do unto others as THEY would have you do unto them, not as you would have them do unto you. I think your post has made me shy of ever making another food item of any kind for anybody, ever, unless I've asked in advance about their nutritional needs. But I bet if you call those women who made you the cookies and kindly explain that you can't eat the them, and would prefer _________ instead, they will bend over backward to listen. People want to reach out, and sometimes they just need to be corrected through good communication, but changes can be made.

• M_Hawke Golden, CO
    Oct. 6, 2018 11:43 p.m.

JaneB Pres. Nelson said it in his talk--his remarks apply to ALL women of the church due to the eternal nature and their eternal role in motherhood. And besides, with so many women that do have children, why is it inappropriate to address them? I get it, it can be painful for those women who do not/can not have children or are not married. We all have our crosses to bear, and in saying that, I am not demeaning their position in life. However, we mortals sure look at life with mere mortal eyes and do not see the big picture, that this life is Eternal School and is a very short and short-sighted life at that. Back to Pres. Nelson's and Pres. Oaks' and Eyring's talks--everything they said could apply to the sisters of whom you say were neglected, regardless of age.

• JaneB Wilsonville, OR
    Oct. 6, 2018 9:34 p.m.

Sister's talks - excellent! President Nelson - also excellent! All very inspiring. But why, oh why do the Brethren always fall back to the themes of putting women on a pedestal, saying women are better nurturers, more spiritual etc, and always always always emphasizing - to the exclusion of anything else - the role of mothers. The church has so many single women (and girls) to whom these constant messages about motherhood do not apply.

• John Brown 1000 Laketown, UT
    Oct. 6, 2018 8:49 p.m.

Thank you, DN, for this helpful report.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Oct. 6, 2018 7:33 p.m.

Can you think back on a time when you lovingly reached out with sincere effort to help someone in need and felt that your efforts went unnoticed or perhaps were unappreciated or even unwanted?” Sister Joy D. Jones, Primary general president, asked. β€œIn that moment, did you question the value of your service?”

Perhaps we should be more thoughtful and less eager to get our "rewards in heaven".

I had a couple "minister" to my family - "serve" us - by cooking us some beautiful chocolate chip cookies!

They never thought to ask if we are diabetic and gluten intolerant. We are. Their "service" added no value to our lives. But they didn't care. They "felt good" about their service.

Actually adding value to people's lives is not simple nor easy. But too often we see so-called "service" that is merely the easiest thing to do.