Decades-old Bountiful case alleges church connection to abuse allegations

• Jkminor Henderson, NV
    Jan. 22, 2019 9:21 a.m.

I have Known Dick and Brenda Miles for 14 years. I worked for them as well as my son was around them. These allegations are completely false and have no basis. These are two of the most wonderful people you could ever hope to know. Why should this be brought up again to ruin their lives again 30 years later. They were cleared and innocent then and NOW.

Dick and Brenda are outstanding people and would NEVER do anything like this.

Jaunice Minor

• David Cox West Valley City, UT
    Oct. 14, 2018 5:45 p.m.

I don't know any of the parties involved in this case except for Barbara Snow.

When I was a child, I was forced to go see her and her associate Teena Sorensen by my mother. Barbara vigorously tried to get me to believe in fictitious memories that I had been sexually abused by my father. She would yell, threaten and berate me if I didn't admit that I had been abused. She came up with the most outlandish ideas and then tried to convince me that they were my own memories. She destroyed my family with her false allegations. She does use recorders, but conveniently loses them when it makes her look bad.

DOPL's own investigators found that Barbara Snow tried to convince her own family member they were sexually abused and a victim of government mind control. DOPL called these charges against Barbara Snow "Statements of Fact". Barbara later stormed her relatives house with a baseball bat and destroyed a computer. DOPL went soft and only put her on probation.

Due to Barbara Snow being at the center of this entire case, I can say with 99.9999% certainty, that nothing occurred and these people are innocent.

• Linus Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 8, 2018 6:27 p.m.

My brother, now deceased, was accused of heinous crimes against one of his daughters. The accusations were based on "recovered memories" established during hypnotherapy. During the nineteen-eighties, this was the rage. People went to prison based on "real" memories planted in the minds of vulnerable patients during hypnosis during "psychotherapy," which turned out to be "psych therapy." During the nineties, these practices and the recovered memories were completely debunked by accredited memory experts. Look up Elizabeth Loftus. Her research led to many falsely accused and mistakenly convicted "victims" of false accusations to be released from long prison sentences. The adults thus falsely accused by troubled patients and their diabolical therapists went through literal hell. It shortened my brother's life, and destroyed family relationships. I say, don't believe "recovered memory." It makes victims of everyone.

• Scott5 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 5, 2018 12:14 a.m.

Don't forget that we choose to be offended.

• TrueBleuCoug Salem, UT
    Oct. 4, 2018 11:58 p.m.

I know nothing of the facts of this case but I think it's despicable that our court system allows ANYONE to file a lawsuit with no basis of truth that forces innocent people to spend thousands of dollars defending themselves.

Reputations, relationships and families are destroyed because of baseless accusations.

These people and lawyers should be held accountable.

• Marigold Provo, UT
    Oct. 4, 2018 2:22 p.m.

I don't know any of these people except from what I have read and my personal opinion is that 30 plus years is a long time to try to prove something. Where is the evidence? I just see Mr. Vernon and his clients trying to line their pockets. I believe it is the 9th Commandment that says something about how wrong it is to "bear false witness" against one's neighbor. This investigation was conducted and closed years ago because there was no credible evidence. Why sling mud and impose hurt once again? This gives a bad name to lawyers and victims of "real" abuse.

• Valleyview Emmett, ID
    Oct. 4, 2018 1:06 p.m.

It's obvious that this is false and is being used to discredit the church. I wonder if Sam Young had anything to do with it?

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Oct. 4, 2018 12:43 p.m.

I guess my earlier comment about unethical lawyers was rejected because it suggested that there should be repercussions for filing frivolous law suits to basically extort money from others. I will stand by that comment, though. Lawyers should be concerned about how the unethical behavior of some taints the entire legal system.

• Becka55 Orem, UT
    Oct. 4, 2018 11:28 a.m.

My heart goes out to this couple and their family. If nothing came of the investigation 30 years ago and they passed the lie detector tests, what more do they want?

• 83Ute Ogden/Weber, UT
    Oct. 4, 2018 11:24 a.m.

@I'm Smart (12:48 pm):

"There needs to be a law with very stiff penalties for false accusation of sexual assault. If there is no actual evidence beyond an angry woman's word, then she should be the one going to jail "

I absolutely agree that anyone that is convicted of making false accusations should face very severe consequences, including jail time. However, the absence of evidence is not proof that the accusation is false.

In order to be penalized for a false accusation, the fact that the accusation is indeed false needs to be proven beyond a reasonable doubt in a court of law. Sometimes, things can't be proven one way or the other and neither side should face legal penalties in those cases.

• SharonOBurt Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2018 11:03 a.m.

I feel absolutely sick to my stomach after reading this article. I know the Miles and my heart goes out to them for being forced to defend themselves for something they never did.
    The people who are accusing them should be ashamed of themselves! Their decision to make these accusations at General Conference time is disgusting.
    I applaud Brenda and Richard for using their real names and for defending themselves against such evil intentions of people who seem to have too much time on their hands. I am against abuse of any kind, but to bring it up 30 years later...REALLY?

• erwad whoville, UT
    Oct. 4, 2018 9:26 a.m.

Fredex makes a valid point. Men everywhere should be absolutely terrified of any functioning in society, period in today's world. If you've done nothing or done anything it is irrelevant. You can be accused in public and held to account for any event in your life (or not event) as a disqualifying factor for you to even exist.

• brad R Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 4, 2018 8:09 a.m.

This attack on the Miles' character to advance an thinly veiled, vitriolic agenda against the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is appalling. The underlying claims are pure fiction. I have known the entire Miles family for over 30 years and would trust my life, the lives of my children and grand children to their care.

• Orson Woods Cross, UT
    Oct. 4, 2018 7:11 a.m.

You can tell when General Conference is approaching because the critics become loudest and try to cause the most trouble.

I figure this means some wonderful and powerful things will happen or be announced during the conference as the work is hastened. Meanwhile, good fine wonderful people get smeared in the name of striking a blow against the Church of Jesus Christ.

• hrbcraig Orem, UT
    Oct. 4, 2018 3:01 a.m.

Mr Vernon has taken a noble cause and perverted it in to a for profit search and destroy with collateral damage being of no consequence to him. Like the ADA for profit attorneys that now file law suites daily, we are not going to see the end of this guy for years to come. We need to find a way to legally stop this kind of shameful lawyering.

• QuackersLaDoo Centerville, UT
    Oct. 4, 2018 1:10 a.m.

I feel truly sorry for anyone who has had sexual abuse perpetrated against them. Given that, I feel that maybe this is a story meant to point fingers at the near top of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints on conference weekend. Why is it 30 years since we've heard this? Why exactly now? I hope truth will prevail.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Oct. 4, 2018 12:54 a.m.

The difference between the Mileses and Kavanaugh is that the former were thoroughly investigated, and the latter has not.

• Ombh Riverton, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 9:35 p.m.

The Mileses are some of the most honorable people I know. There is no doubt in my mind that they are 100% innocent, and therefore no cover-up of any kind on any level would have been necessary.

• Helen M Kimball Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 9:31 p.m.

Dick Miles was my Bishop and I spent a lot of time in a calling with him. He was always honest with me and I spent many nights as his "second" during interviews. Nothing untoward ever happened. I found the Miles to be good, generous people.
    He was also very kind and caring as I thoughtfully, walked away from the faith.

I am sure the truth of everything will come out. I will wait and see what happens...

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    Oct. 3, 2018 9:09 p.m.

From reading the comments, it looks like most think this didn't happen. What is clear to me is that something happened a long time ago.

I would just point out that it was the Miles family who chose to go public with their name.

• BeUTAHful-day1 Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 8:56 p.m.

This is ridiculous. The timing of these accusations is absurd. 30 years later?!?! The accusations being made against the miles’ are 100% FALSE. I grew up with their children. I was in their home often while growing up. I went on trips with their family. They are kind people. They love and serve others. I was always treated with respect. Their children were always treated with respect. I stand behind them 100%. This case really should be dismissed before even going to trial. It’s so sad that this is now the trendy thing to do, to drag someone’s good name through the mud. Good will prevail. Truth will be made known. The miles have a HUGE support team standing behind them. They are the ones who wanted their own names published. They have NOTHING to hide. They have addressed this head on. And we will stand behind them. As for the accusers. They are too small and tiny to even let their names be known. That screams weakness.

• RC in WJ WEST JORDAN, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 8:51 p.m.

Re: H S Tucker

Count on you to politicize the issue!

• Utah Valley Guy Springville, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 8:49 p.m.

When will we start hearing from authorities on the ways abuse victims react psychologically to being sexually abused?

I know from personal experience (I was married to an incest victim who began to falsely accuse me of sexual abuse, infidelity, and physical abuse after we lost a daughter) the need for far more research into the effects of sexual abuse. The field has only scratched the surface in understanding how dissociation and transference play significant roles in the lives of adult victims of childhood abuse.

Suffice it to say that I'm confident that it is fairly common for those abused as children by someone they loved and trusted to cope by disassociating the innocent, loving self from the self participating (involuntarily but without resistance) in sex with a trusted other. Later, as adults, the negative aspects - particularly the anger and reviling - of such complex emotions are transferred to someone as equally innocent as the victim in bizarre accusations such as this one.

In an age when even unsubstantiated accusations alone are enough to stain reputations and destroy lives, journalists need to do their homework and start reporting these things.

• Fanofutah Draper, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 8:15 p.m.

Another witch hunt.

How unfair that the Mileses good names are in print for the world to speculate about, but the accusers aren’t.

Print their names! Every single one. They shouldn’t get to hide.

• thebig1 Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 8:09 p.m.

Woo we are in trouble as a society, can anyone sleep at night having to worry someone will name them from 30 plus years ago.

• DistantThunder Vincentown, NJ
    Oct. 3, 2018 7:57 p.m.

The Presumption of Innocence is a human right.

• OTRcougar Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 6:56 p.m.

The Constitution and the laws states and accused has the right to face his accusers this is definitely not being done early and properly here and this set of allegations is only really showing up now because of me too and the Kavanaugh Publicity everybody’s jumping on the bandwagon to destroy somebody else’s name

• Chessermesser West Valley City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 5:49 p.m.

@dejah
    She was only asked two questions on her polygraph. That is hardly a conclusive exam.

• atn984 Draper, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 5:30 p.m.

I grew up with the Miles' children and spent many days and nights in their home. I never once felt uncomfortable there, it was always the exact opposite. They're some of the most kind, respectful and generous people I've ever known. It's sad their name is being dragged through the mud for something they were never involved with - and it's double sad it's happening again 30 years later.

• NeifyT Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 4:48 p.m.

@David,

I liked your comment; though I would only slightly disagree with your statement: "these types of investigations or accusations should not be reported in the papers until a conviction occurs."

I would say it should be fair game to publish the accusations once it goes to trial, so long as the names and pictures of the accusers are included as well.

This per the US Constitution that requires trials to be "public" and yet grants the accused the right to "face his accusers" -- which means that:

1) the public should be able to see what is going on even before a conviction but only once a trial is in progress. (Meaning ALL Due Process was followed before that, demonstrating things such as: that there was probable cause to conduct searched for evidence; evidence of a crime was found enough to proceed with a trial; an impartial jury was picked; and the defendant has legal council and has procured witnesses for his defense.)

2) The accuser is made just as public as the trial (name and picture); and just as liable for perjury when accusations are shown as false.

(An accuser, even when truly a victim, should not have any more rights than the accused, under our rule of law.)

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 3:23 p.m.

If Barbara Snow was involved in the original accusations, it is all bunk. She got a lot of innocent people convicted because of her shoddy methods and the fact she never taped, either video or audio tape, any of her conversations with these kids. Had she done so, she'd have been debunked years ago.

I investigated a case she was involved in back in my cop days and even after she presented her results to us, I rejected them because of the methodology that she used.

Any competent judge should dismiss with prejudice these allegations.

I don't know the Miles family but knowing a couple other of President Nelson's children, I'm sure nothing ever happened.

Hopefully this lawyer will be disbarred at some point.

• utah cornhusker Norfolk, NE
    Oct. 3, 2018 2:37 p.m.

It’s sad that after such a long time they are getting a lawsuit filed against them. I’m surprised it took the accusers this long to file, especially when the charges were never filed. I’m just shocked they did it after this long.

• Seamonster Layton, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 2:22 p.m.

These Allegations are 100% bogus. I grew up with the Miles also, anyone who knows that family doesn't buy into any of this garbage. All their children were positive, outgoing and very popular and teenagers that turned into great human beings. No basis behind any of these claims.

• kim c DFW, TX
    Oct. 3, 2018 2:21 p.m.

If these allegations are found to be false, the lawyer needs to be investigated by the Idaho state bar for bringing malicious lawsuits against innocent people.

• LDSAZ Casa Grande, AZ
    Oct. 3, 2018 2:07 p.m.

This attorney and Robert Sykes always seem to show up with cases to harm innocent people, if it gets them a big settlement. The truth is of no interest. It's all about the money. And it gives attorneys a bad name. But they don't care about that if there's money to be made.

• JulietsDaBomb Bountiful, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 1:23 p.m.

I grew up with the Miles and their kids. Dick donated his blood for me when I had open heart surgery. This sort of thing never happened with them. They babysat me plenty of times and never had anything like this happen

• FredEx Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 1:21 p.m.

It seems that every American male above 12 years of age is at risk of being accused of some misdeed. When the FBI investigates the behavior of a 17-year-old boy from the mid 1980s, there's something seriously amiss with our social structure and justice system.

I have determined for myself that if I am ever asked to be a bishop or other similar assignment, I will decline on the grounds that I do not wish to be a target for someone who thinks they might have a faint recollection of something that might or might not have happened in 1977.

• Dejah Provo, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 1:04 p.m.

Sorry, I mixed up comments from NoNamesAccepted and Chessermesser

@NoNamesAccepted I don't need your lecture on polygraphs. I think they should be done away with and that they prove nothing. I wasn't the one that said they exonerated someone or didn't that was Chessermess, I just wanted to point out the hypocrisy of believing one and not another. And off people went to prove their hypocrisy, no surprises here.

• Bifftacular Spanish Fork, Ut
    Oct. 3, 2018 1:03 p.m.

This accusing people of sexual abuse is becoming all the rage these days. What a formidable weapon against someone with whom you have a vendetta. 35 years ago? No problem. No evidence the first go around? No problem. The accusation is enough. And what damage false accusations will have for those whom have really been abused and need justice. I'd like to see some very, very stiff penalties against anyone, male or female, who falsely accuses someone else. Of course, this will have to be proven, just like accusations must be proven

• SKIHIKEBIKE Morgan, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 1:02 p.m.

I am appalled that anyone would dare make such accusations against the Miles. As a child and teenager, I spent as much time with their family as I did my own- camping, skiing, family dinners, sleepovers, boating...never ONCE was I ever put in a position of harm or abuse. Dick and Brenda have always been examples to me of how I want to live my life- full of integrity, respect, and service to others. I support them 100%.

• MoreMan San Diego, CA
    Oct. 3, 2018 12:57 p.m.

"Interesting" is the only word I could think of.

• bamafone Salem, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 12:52 p.m.

To any accuser, you better have some proof.

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 12:48 p.m.

"Decades old allegations of abuse", seems to be the popular thing with angry women now days. There needs to be a law with very stiff penalties for false accusation of sexual assault. If there is no actual evidence beyond an angry woman's word, then she should be the one going to jail because that accusation will destroy a man's life even if he is innocent. We need to stop all the accusations.

• mightyhunterhaha Layton, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 12:38 p.m.

Reporting allegations need to end! it ruins peoples lives and reputations. If the evidence supports a charge then print but going off an allegation to totally wrong and is against the Constitution. "Innocent until Proven Guilty." The Deseret News and any other news organization should be ashamed. If you have evidence in your Investigative Report stories then share with the police.

• scanner Tooele, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 12:36 p.m.

They put the names of Miles in the paper. How about putting in the names of the false accusers in the paper.

• Cougarbib2 Moorpark, CA
    Oct. 3, 2018 12:21 p.m.

An anonymous person(s) can make public claims against a person - using the full force of the media to try a case in the press, bit nobody gets to talk about their credibility.

And a commentor that posts something supportive of the accused gets mocked by another commentor.

• Dejah Provo, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 11:49 a.m.

"For both to pass a lie detector test is pretty strong evidence that they didn’t do what is claimed."

So ... Dr. Ford passed a polygraph, I assume you believe this is strong evidence Kavanaugh is guilty?

Also just because you were neighbors of someone and you and your children were treated respectfully means respectfully, nothing. My stepmother was nice as pie when we had company but as soon as she was alone with us the tables turned dramatically. I'm not saying anyone is guilty or innocent, just that your anecdotes are not evidence of anything.

• Olen Layton, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 11:34 a.m.

Is it because of who they are and their religion that you are defending them? It doesn't matter what race, religion, income, Male or female, people are people and we're not perfect. You shouldn't judge them based on their beliefs. They said in their statement that "to abuse would go against our beliefs." It's not about beliefs, its about being human. I'm never surprised by comments on here. It seems comments and opinions are based on the wrong thing.

• HSTucker Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 11:28 a.m.

Interesting timing on such a lawsuit.

If the left succeeds in supplanting reliance on evidence with believing abuse accusations at face value, then no one is safe and civilization will have been toppled.

• David Centerville, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 11:27 a.m.

These sexual abuse accusations are so destructive when thrown at innocent people. I believe these types of investigations or accusations should not be reported in the papers until a conviction occurs. It is easy for someone to throw around false accusations at innocent people, but the effect is devastating.

• NeifyT Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 11:06 a.m.

With the MeToo and now the Kavanaugh thing; it seems to be in vogue or sexual abuse allegations to be made against anyone and everyone; even when allegations are clearly false.

The MeToo movement is actually destroying real victims credibility; a major hurt to the cause of justice for sex abuse victims.

If these allegations were made 30 years ago; and found not credible then; to bring them up yet again especially right now is nothing more than political; and more specifically political against The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

But, hey, its in vogue isn't it?

• Chessermesser West Valley City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 10:51 a.m.

For both to pass a lie detector test is pretty strong evidence that they didn’t do what is claimed. 30 years ago is a long time to make such a claim. And the police involved didn’t press charges. This case should get tossed before a trial.

• Bob V. Salt Lake City, UT
    Oct. 3, 2018 10:49 a.m.

30 years ago, we lived in the same neighborhood as the Miles. Our children knew the Miles children and spent time at their home. These claims against them are completely and utterly outside the realm of belief. My children were never abused, were always treated with respect, and enjoyed their time at the Miles' home. In my opinion, the Miles deserve the benefit of the doubt until such issues are factually proven true, and I honestly don't believe they can be.

I would sure like to know who these people are that are accusing them of abuse.

We haven't seen Dick and Brenda for years, but consider them to be outstanding people.