BYU goes toe-to-toe with Wisconsin, wins physical battle in knocking off No. 6 Badgers

• ND95CA Lincoln Park, IL
    Sept. 17, 2018 1:05 p.m.

Talk of BYU getting a CFP berth is crazy talk, even if BYU were to run the table, which they won’t.

The best that BYU can realistically hope for this season is to finish 9-3, with a bowl win and a final Top 25 ranking in both polls.

That would be a huge improvement from last season, and a solid foundation to build on for 2019.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Sept. 17, 2018 2:21 a.m.

I do expect Wilson and Hall to see some reps in this McNassy game, they've both got 4 games to play on a redshirt. I hope Critchlow doesn't go in, Wilson and Hall are the future.

Washington has amazing DBs, BYU will need to pass to them just enough to keep them honest in terms of play - the jet sweep is a formidable weapon, the OL can push Washington around if they can push Wisconsin around, and the TEs have a play that we really haven't seen much of yet but would be ideal against Washington.

To those wondering why BYU is running so much - it's called an SEC running game coordinator as OC, and it's safe.

For next week, I hope it's a QB exhibition game where they go out, have fun, and the new guys put numbers on the board.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Sept. 17, 2018 2:06 a.m.

"I think I’m going to wait for a few more wins before crowning them national champs."

Let's be crazy and say we go undefeated from here on out, end result is BYU finishing in an NY6 bowl game, no higher and maybe not even that.

So 2019 BYU plays Utah, Tenn, USC, Washington, Toledo, USF and Boise to start - so undefeated would put BYU in the top 5, but maintaining that is impossible playing USU, Liberty, Idaho State, UMass and SDSU, perfect numbers still drop BYU, they'd be lucky to finish in the top 10 but not in the top 5 with that schedule.

So 2020 BYU would need to again run the table to get to an NC after running it in 2018 and 2019.

The system is stacked against outsiders - 1984 was a total fluke which BYU had the fortune of taking advantage of. That was great, without a P5 affiliation it's nearly impossible.

enjoy the top 25 ranking - should go to about 21 after next week then comes Washington where BYU faces hard odds and a loss kills a ranking despite their ranking.

i was going for better than last year in terms of competition - I've already got my smile for the season come whatever may from this point on.

• H. Fullmer Springville, UT
    Sept. 16, 2018 10:01 p.m.

I love my Cougs and loved the win. But, after a 4-9 season, I think I’m going to wait for a few more wins before crowning them national champs.

• Pagosa Kid SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 16, 2018 8:37 p.m.

What a great win but we can’t expect to beat Washington, Utah St, Utah and Boise St without a legit passing game. Mangum threw some nice balls but he’s not consistent. Plus his mobility is lacking big time. I still think we need to give Wilson and Hall some reps. If we don’t develop a passing game, I’m afraid what happened to us against Cal will repeat itself with some of the other oppenants. .

• SLCWatch Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 16, 2018 7:10 p.m.

I would venture McNeese State is scrambling to reconsider their game plan. And everyone else isn't going to take BYU lightly anymore. BYU's season is one game long from now on. One game. That's all. For those "dissing" Mangum, consider what you would think if Hooker had made his catches, if the other long balls weren't dropped, if he hadn't thrown the ball away but tried to force the ball into tight coverage while Wisconsin was pressing with every full blitz they owned. He was playing what the coaches called. He was doing what it took to win. We're not coaches. Let's let them run the team.

• OldCougarGuy Salem, OR
    Sept. 16, 2018 6:42 p.m.

What happened against Cal? 3 turnovers and dropped passes on 3rd down. What happened against Wisconsin? No turnovers and fewer drops. Fix the drops against Wisconsin and BYU outgains Wisconsin through the air. It looks like the coaching is there and the wins and losses will depend on the execution.

• Eastern CO Coug Elizabeth, CO
    Sept. 16, 2018 2:50 p.m.

Great win BYU. The line play was good on both sides of the ball. Loved the trick play! Got to see more of that especially when the passing game is so bad. Reminds me of Boise State of old.

• Oh Really? Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 16, 2018 12:57 p.m.

It is highly likely Wilson will see some playing time this week (assuming BYU can build a lead) as one of his four freebies the NCAA allows without burning eligibility. That will give coaches — and fans — a look at what he can do.

• BC-Cali21 , CA
    Sept. 16, 2018 10:42 a.m.

BYU v Wisc was like a Harvey weight fight where the two stood toe-to-toe and hit each other in the face all day long. Wisconsin was stunned that the Y didn't go down after the first punches, the FBS was shocked (the TV ticker on ESPN only focused on the 5th year senior's missed FG and nothing detailed about BYU's stats in their upset), and the announcers were taken aback at how physical BYU was playing v the big hogs of Wisc on both fronts--the Y O-line playing bully ball and the Y D-line absorbing blows from the Wisc O-line--and Takitaki numbing the Wisc Heisman hopeful running attack. (Isn't this the 2nd Heisman hopeful we've played this year that we've exposed?--maybe Sione Takitaki should be in the Heisman conversation because he's the heartbeat that has squelched both the UofA QB and the Wisconsin RB's run toward FBS's most prestigious award).
    I love watching the new BYU, pro offensive style and their attitude of "I'm ok with getting punched in the mouth because I'm going to punch you in the mouth too all day long, too). This is exactly what what I as BYU fan love to watch.

• search diligently Lehi, UT
    Sept. 16, 2018 9:45 a.m.

Okay, pat BYU on the back for well-deserved recognition for what they just pulled off. And Tomorrow get to work.

If BYU is going to have a prayer against Washington however, they need a balanced passing and rushing attack. And to do this BYU needs to tap into a different QB. Yes, Tanner "led" the team to a win against Wisconsin, but I submit that the team won in spite of Mangum. Put a quicker thinking, more agile and more accurate passing QB in and BYU would have a lot better potential to beat good teams.

I love Mangum the man, but come on coaches, do the right thing and be willing to make the switch.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 16, 2018 8:39 a.m.

The game ball deservedly went to the strength and conditioning coaches.

• TripleCrown Santa Ana, CA
    Sept. 16, 2018 7:53 a.m.

I agree with CY1951 that BYU needs a better passing game, but his assertion that BYU can’t beat Utah without it is dubious.

I had to turn off the Ute-Husky game because it was too painful to watch so many Utah mistakes, penalties, ejections, fumbles, dropped passes, etc, etc.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 16, 2018 6:59 a.m.

Celebrate today, then get back to work. Forget this game, destroy McNeese State and then get ready for the real test: Washington.

Wisconsin is in the past and Washington is in the near future. But don't let up and lose to McNeese. One step at a time.

• MBAGLEY Pleasant Grove, UT
    Sept. 16, 2018 5:51 a.m.

Man! Who would have thunk?... WHO? The coaches and players!

Coach Roderick last week: “For me, I think the margin is so slim between teams at this level. The margin between a ranked team and us isn’t that much. Just like teams you may think we’re better than, they’re not that far behind us, either,” he said. “Every week at this level, you have to be ready and you always have a chance.

"If we go in there and take care of our issues, we’ll be in that game and have a chance to win. We’ve got to take care of the ball and we’ve got to execute. We’ve got to worry about our stuff and improve from last week.”

Kudos to the coaches for this kind of positive attitude which has been passed on to the players and is key to building their confidence. Your mind-set is so much a part of the battle! And your preparation is next. You CAN compete, even if the other team has supposedly 'superior' talent.

So happy for team BYU who believes great things can happen! It showed in Wisconsin yesterday in a big way.

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    Sept. 16, 2018 4:51 a.m.

As a BYU fan, I was happy to see BYU look pretty good. Biggest thing missing from their game plan was stupid mental mistakes. They played good, even almost really good. But I wouldn't go to great yet.

And Wisconsin looks lost. I'm not sure if they simply looked past BYU, remembering last years game too much, or what the issue was. But they looked really ill prepared. I remember last year watching warm ups knowing that BYU was in trouble because the Badgers even looked like a tightly trained machine - agains - in warm up. That was not the case this year.

Don't know the reason why. But BYU exploited that fact. Thats what a good team does. Not willing yet to say this team is "good" yet, but they looked lt saturday afternoon. Hopefully this was not just a "sought the team on the right day" and is rather the beginning of this coaching staff finally coming together.

• Jack from little rock Little Rock, AR
    Sept. 16, 2018 4:35 a.m.

What a great win. I think I may have an answer to last weeks game Coach Grimes put in several easy to read plays and gave Wisconsin a feeling that this game would be a push over then we came in this week and dropped the hammer on them. I love BYU football and I will support them win or lose
    But this was an historic win and I am so proud to be a cougar.

• MikeVike66 St. George, UT
    Sept. 16, 2018 3:14 a.m.

I must agree that the passing game still needs some major improvement if we want this season to have more memorable wins. We have to find ways to get the ball to Bushman. Zero catches is a major problem considering his talent. 80 yards passing and a 4.4 yd per attempt is not good. Mangum made some decent throws today, but it's obvious that the offensive staff does not have a ton of confidence in Tanner right now. I love Mangum, he's a solid young man, but he just doesn't look comfortable out there. The offensive line, especially Hoge, have made great holes for Squally and along with the our stellar defensive play, have made this nice start to the season possible. I really hope that Mangum improves and gets more comfortable in Grimes' system and is able to lead this team to more impressive wins. If the Cougs can play solid offense and get a lead going into the second half against McNeese, I hope that coach Grimes gets the freshman in there to get some actual game reps to see how he does when it counts. Some kids just have intangibles that can only be discovered in the real game situations. I love what I see in the re-vamped O-line and hope the Cougs continue to improve.

• worf McAllen, TX
    Sept. 16, 2018 1:07 a.m.

@cy195,

You go with what the defense gives you.

@Scores,

What if the BYU tight end caught the ball at the goal line?

Three MWC teams beat PAC12 teams and Texas clobbered USC. Great day of football!

• Deanvrtc Vancouver, WA
    Sept. 16, 2018 12:13 a.m.

Great win for the Cougars. My take aways were that BYU can mix it up with very physical teams and hold their own. Offensive play calling was good in weak one. BAD last week....and good today. Grimes is learning. Mangum still can’t throw past 10 yards accurately ...and when he does try it....he is always short. He has happy feet and dumps too early for his outlet receiver. A senior QB should be better. Opposing coaches know this and will continue to stack the box because Mangum can’t throw long . We need to give the youngster QB some time next week.
    Squally seems so much improved as did the O-line today.
    Sitake dances pretty well....and I love his desire to play big boy football.
    Great job Cougs. Awesome win....!

• Down under Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 16, 2018 12:03 a.m.

A great day in utah sports. BYU takes down a legit #6 team on the road and a poor utah team gets kicked by a very overrated Washongton at home.
    Can life get any better?

• mabramso Orem, UT
    Sept. 15, 2018 10:51 p.m.

This was a truly great win that nobody saw coming, including me. What this shows is that, (1), last year was an aberration, and (2), talent-wise, we are not that far off from the P5 teams. This was not just a Big 10 team -- this was one of the best programs their conference has. Perhaps they will get hit with the BYU curse (any team that loses to BYU goes on to have a crappy season), but for now, this win looks as impressive as any I have seen in my 40 years as a Cougar fan.

• Dibs Alpine, UT
    Sept. 15, 2018 10:45 p.m.

Great win.

Has anyone else noticed that Sitake refuses to wear the current BYU blue? Lets go back to the Royal Blue. We changed it for Crowton so why are we keeping the Utah State color?

• Scores Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 15, 2018 9:55 p.m.

Sorry, but if's don't count in college football. You see, if the Wisconsin kicker makes his FG try, we are tied and go to overtime. What you see in college football is what you get, and BYU came up with a very good it is what it is football win.
    Go Cougars!

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Sept. 15, 2018 9:26 p.m.

"What in the heck did happen with Cal?"

I really thought it would take at least another year to turn around BYU's program after 2017. But, the coaches seem to have made the players believe they could do it this year. And, it seems to be working.

Perhaps BYU's biggest improvement this year was not from game one to two, but from game two to three. That is what happened with Cal. BYU got motivated to prove themselves. Go Cougars!

• wattsde Sandy, UT
    Sept. 15, 2018 9:26 p.m.

big, bad Wisconsin? Really? I like that Badger team but my Cougar team was better. There are no bad team.

• GilmerTexasCougar Gilmer, TX
    Sept. 15, 2018 8:42 p.m.

After last week's Cal game, I thought this team is no better than last year's team. We owe an apology to the fired offensive staff, because the new staff is doing no better. Then comes the game today against the best offensive line and running back in college football!! Wow!!! It was amazing. I have new hope now for BYU football. The Ute fans who hate BYU had me thinking they were probably correct that BYU just didn't have the players who could compete. This was a wonderful day for BYU football.

• cy1951 Arlington, VA
    Sept. 15, 2018 8:29 p.m.

A great win over a legit Top 10 team. You want to know what happened against Cal? Jeff Grimes learned that calling plays is not as easy as it seemed against a poor Arizona D. But if he walks away thinking his offense can gain fewer than 100 yards in the air against Washington or Utah or Boise State and keep the team in the game, he is dreaming. Same goes if he does not learn it is a good thing to run a successful play more than once. What happened to play action pass to TE all-american Bushman - the AZ game winner? It apparently is gone from the playbook. He needs more play action passes on 1st down. More quick passes to TEs especially off fly-sweep/Squally fakes. The OC needs to grow and learn, or HC Chris Peterson at UW and UofU coaches will adapt and foil his predictability. Grimes showed he is growing and learning, but he better keep getting better, or this great win will be wasted by future disappointment. Hurray for a great win. But come on, Coach Grimes, you gotta do better, because 80 yards passing in a game from your fifth-year Sr QB won't cut it long term.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Sept. 15, 2018 8:08 p.m.

This sure is a far cry from the comments people were posting last week, like:

"Time to bench Tanner no matter what"

"If BYU plays perfectly we still lose by 20"

or, "What's the difference between this team and last year's team?"

This is why I love college football - amazing game!

If you are a fan, be a fan, stay a fan, don't let a Cal game that had many odd elements with BYU ultimately losing by a FG ruin your season. This is an amazing ride to be on, win or lose, just be a consistent fan.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK