She supports Trump. He can’t stand him. How this Utah married couple finds common ground during the Jewish holidays

• Capsaicin Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2018 12:48 p.m.

I don't know how those who profess to believe in fidelity to spouse, and honesty and integrity in daily living, can throw their support behind politicians that clearly are borderline morally bankrupt.

• Thomas Jefferson Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2018 11:54 a.m.

Opinions if I am allowed to have them.

Re: The trump economy

We could have not elected a president at all and the economy would have done exactly what it has done during his presidency...but without taking the deficit back up over $1000000000000/year. Its only by an amazing lack of understanding that you can think trump presence in the white house has led to the things trump supporters 'brag' about.

Re: Israel

It almost as if the people demanding support of Israel dont understand that barely half (if that) of the people of Israel dont support Netenyahoo who is under investigation for fraud. Just because you dont support every warmongering whim of a madman doesnt mean you dont support Israel.

And just what kind of sick deity has a 'chosen people' in the first place?

The answer is obvious. The kind invented by ... the people the deity has 'chosen'.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    Sept. 17, 2018 11:24 a.m.

A big part of the divide can be understood by understanding what the Left and the Right are looking for in a leader:
    The Left is looking for an icon of their ideals; a virtual "Dear Leader" in the tradition of all Leftist regimes. They may not be as extreme as Maoist China, Stalinist Russia, Nazi Germany, or North Korea, but the zeal of a ideological icon runs deeply through all socialist-leaning political movements. They are looking to "fundamentally change" America, and freely admit that.

The Right (conservatives) believes that America is already a basically pretty good idea, even if flawed. They do not want to fundamentally change America, even if we do need someone to help make subtle course corrections. That is why they are willing to tolerate a lot of personal imperfection if the the leader can simply competently navigate us away from the shoals of socialism and group-think.

• samhill Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 17, 2018 9:26 a.m.

My Dad was a Democrat and my Mom a Republican. Many times they laughed at how their votes would cancel each other out. Neither were deeply or even overtly political and I never remember any arguments of politics. But, they held some divergent ideas on policies and would vote accordingly.

Perhaps partly because of this opposing but not polarizing environment I've never joined any political party and have voted for candidates of several. However, I was frustrated in 2016 when presented with two of what I consider two of the worst candidates in my lifetime from the two major parties. I couldn't hold my nose tightly enough to vote for either. Instead I opted for someone who I viewed as vastly preferable to either Hillary or "The Donald" but had no chance of winning.

When those parties can take many months, millions of $$ and sift through almost two dozen candidates to end up with those two as their "preferred" choices, I don't see any chance of ever joining either.

Our problem isn't Trump. Our problem is that from a country of over 320 million people we came up with him, Hillary and even Obama as our choices.

In short, our problem is **US**.

We MUST do better.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Sept. 16, 2018 2:30 p.m.

@peabody

Oh, we will vote in November.

God bless President Trump and conservatives everywhere.

God bless America.

😊

• CMTM , 00
    Sept. 15, 2018 2:22 p.m.

Tyler D –“Can you find a sacred book in antiquity in which the tribe who wrote it said ANOTHER tribe was actually the “chosen people.”” Yes,

Peter quotes from(O.T. Malachi 3:17). But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's special possession, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.(1 peter 2;9)

& Paul, For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile--the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him,

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 15, 2018 2:10 p.m.

@Boyd
    "With the full support of the Republican party behind Israel for many years I am still puzzled why the majority of the Jewish faith in this country cannot fully understand which party is more loyal to their country of origin?"

Most people know that disagreeing with Benjamin Netanyahu's stance on some issue doesn't make someone anti-semitic.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 15, 2018 1:51 p.m.

@Red Smith
    "President Trump created 4 million jobs"

His job creation rate is slightly slower than Obama's last 6 years average (though in fairness to Trump that would be expected as we get closer to full employment).

"increased Black and Latino jobs to historic levels"

Anyone holding onto Obama's pace would've done that.

"moved the US Embassy to Jerusalem,"

Needlessly inflammatory action.

"war on Christians"

Which didn't exist.

", brought back Merry Christmas"

Really?

", brought back manufacturing jobs in steel,"

About time you list something decent.

"decreased the trade deficit"

By a little.

", stopped giving billions to America haters"

He promised prosperity to North Korea, he'd have done an Iran deal with them easily if they would do it but they haven't budged aside from closing a site they accidentally damaged.

" put two conservative judges on the US Supreme Court"
    ", de-nuked North Korea,"

That's a lie.

" de-fanged Iran, "

They get to keep the money and are justified in building nukes now. Only Europe is keeping them from doing it.

"wiped out ISIS."

Their strongholds were already under siege when he got in.

• DKC Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 15, 2018 1:40 p.m.

I’ve heard it said that many Jews are liberals first over their faith. This has to be true given Obama spent State Dept Tax Payers $ “meddling” in our closest alley’s Israel’s election trying to defeat Bibi Netanyahu.

• STTNGfan15 Ogden, UT
    Sept. 15, 2018 12:57 p.m.

The point of this article isn't that we shouldn't focus on what divides, but what joins us together, and caring about each other and respecting other points of views. Coming together for the important things. I admire this couple for doing so. I will inspire to be like them.

• no comment South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 15, 2018 11:20 a.m.

Big deal. I support Trump AND I can't stand him.

• CMTM , 00
    Sept. 14, 2018 5:10 p.m.

RE: Tyler D -Can you find a sacred book in antiquity in which the tribe who wrote it said ANOTHER tribe was actually the “chosen people.”e.g….

Habakkuk 2:4(O.T.) is quoted three times in the New Testament. Paul quotes it in Romans 1:17, emphasizing the idea that righteousness by faith is for both Jews and Gentiles:

@You are a chosen race . . . a holy nation” (1 Peter 2:9). The chosen race are people who are “born again to a living hope” (1 Peter 1:3). Their new identifying DNA is from the Holy Spirit. Race and ethnicity are not unimportant in our common cultural life. But they are not what unites us to God or to each other in Christ. We are a new creation, a new humanity. Peter even says, a new race! A “chosen race.” A race taken from all races.

• Boyd in Provo , 00
    Sept. 14, 2018 3:36 p.m.

@ Unrepentant Progressive

You answered the question very well. I thought I might get an "expert" on the subject to help me understand the mind of the Jewish faith better and I believe you have done so. Thank you.

• Tyler D Prescott, AZ
    Sept. 14, 2018 3:33 p.m.

@dski – “I voted for him to lead us out of the hole the Obama Administration dug for us.”

What hole was that?

The one where when he assumed office the economy was in freefall collapse but by the end of his term, we were the 2nd fastest (behind Germany) growing economy in the world?

Or the one were Obama’s predecessor handed him a $1.1T deficit which he shrunk to under $500B by the time he left office?

Or the one where unemployment was +10% when he assumed office and below 5% when he left?

Or the one where the DOW was below 8000 when he assumed office but had risen to almost 20,000 by the time he left?

Or the one where in 2008 we were one of the largest importers of oil in the world and by 2016 we were one of the largest exporters?

You mean those holes?

@CMTM – “God blesses those who bless Israel.”

• dski HERRIMAN, UT
    Sept. 14, 2018 2:50 p.m.

A good relationship flourishes when both sides agree to disagree. For the Trump part, I was not looking for a religious leader to be president of the country. I voted for him to lead us out of the hole the Obama Administration dug for us.

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    Sept. 14, 2018 2:17 p.m.

Boyd in Provo wants to know why so many Jews supported Clinton. IMHO, this is way off topic but I think it needs a response. Hopefully the DN moderator will let this through.

Well, it is not as if Democrats are against the state of Israel. Democrats are not crazy about the Netanyahu administration, and that includes a lot of American Jews who don't like his policies as well. Most Jews in this country are Reform, and the current administration in Israel is decidedly Orthodox. The Orthodox in Israel do not consider Reform Jews as "real Jews". A fact well known in this country and Israel. Are you aware of this.

Most Jews in this country are liberal in social policy. The party of trump is not liberal. So, most Jews will vote for Democrats.

Does this answer your question?

• Boyd in Provo , 00
    Sept. 14, 2018 11:10 a.m.

"They were drawn together by their Jewish heritage, their support for the state of Israel..."

"And yet 71 percent of Jews voted for Clinton." And this after their Democratic president in the previous administration had such an intense dislike of Israel and its leader. With the full support of the Republican party behind Israel for many years I am still puzzled why the majority of the Jewish faith in this country cannot fully understand which party is more loyal to their country of origin? Elections do have consequences and they might want to reconsider their voting habits.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Sept. 14, 2018 11:06 a.m.

@BYUalum

Well said, my friend. Well said.

🤗

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Sept. 14, 2018 11:00 a.m.

Apparently, it's ok to say, "He can't stand him." in an article about Donald Trump but I am not allowed to say, "I can't stand to listen to that man" in an article about Barack Obama.

Go figure.

🤗

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    Sept. 14, 2018 10:50 a.m.

So many comments from trump supporters accusing the previous adminstration of all kinds of ills, a "deep state conspiracy" to threaten the president and assorted other claims and innuendos utilized as political weapons to wound trump critics.

Wasn't this sort of thing bemoaned in the In-Depth piece. Wasn't the article an appeal to our political opponents to find common ground for the good of the country? Why the political rhetoric during a time of contemplation and reflection for many in the country, and a lesson for us all.

I wonder why DN censors don't remove such blatant attempts to further divide in the wake of a message to unite, forgive and move on for the good of the country and our personal lives.

• CMTM , 00
    Sept. 14, 2018 10:38 a.m.

RE: Peabody. The "Deep State" Hillary and ”Benghazi” unlike Larry Green, in Sandy UT, I was in the Vietnam war and without air support of our bunkers I would probably not have survived

RE: Tyler D. I’m Pro, Trump administration do to the support for Israel. The Bible is clear when it comes to God’s promises for those who bless his people. God blesses those who bless Israel. These promises are repeated throughout Scripture:
    “How beautiful are your tents, O Jacob, and your dwelling places, O Israel!… Blessed is the one who blesses you, and cursed is the one who curses you!” (Numbers 24:5, 9).
    Blessing is promised to those who bless Abraham and his descendants: “I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you” (Genesis 12:3).
    The lover of Jerusalem prospers: “Pray for the peace of Jerusalem! May those who love her prosper!” (Psalms 122:6)

• BlueMoonOden Hinckley, IL
    Sept. 14, 2018 9:50 a.m.

I went to a high school outside Chicago that was half Jewish and grew up very pro Israel as a result. Israel is America's strongest ally and our biggest supporter. No way should we turn our back on such a loyal and important ally. The previous Commander in Chief was openly hostile to them. Trump recognizing Jerusalem was one of the best foreign policy decisions made in recent memory.

• peabody Steamboat Springs, CO
    Sept. 14, 2018 9:16 a.m.

The "Deep State" is but a figment of Trump's reckless imitation. Trump is solely responsible for the mess he's in.
    Vote in November.

• Tyler D Prescott, AZ
    Sept. 14, 2018 9:17 a.m.

This read almost like a Jesus parable (i.e., as a lesson and path for the country as a whole).

• t702 Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 14, 2018 9:06 a.m.

The more and more we learn about the deep state and what they did and are currently doing to take down Trump, the more we Trump supporters are thankful that we have a leader that has the strength and will to stand up for America. We learned this week from Peter Strzok and Lisa Page texts that FBI and CIA leaked classified info to the media in their efforts to take down Trump. Revelation like this make Trump's presidency that much important because without Trump we wouldn't know about how corrupt DOJ and intelligence agencies are.

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    Sept. 14, 2018 8:18 a.m.

Mr Draper

You leave a reader the impression that only those of us who disagree with the president are the only ones who can not understand those of you who adore the president.

My experience is completely the opposite of yours. I have tried, to no avail, to get my trumpista family/friends to just listen to my reasons for refusing to support the president and his political party. These people can not even be bothered to hear out one sentence. I have been told repeatedly to mind my own business, that a mind has been made up. Closed minds, closed hearts as well. Some of these relationships are irreparable, despite my best efforts to avoid the political after the rebuffs. Furthermore, I did not even start the political discussions. I know better and wished to maintain the strained cord that bound us.

The lesson from this article is to leave the political at the front door when entering into your friends/family homes, and find the common thread that binds. My experiences have led me to believe that this lesson is lost on most trump fans.

Good for this couple. However, most likely a lesson ignored by the rest of the country.

• BradJames Manti, UT
    Sept. 14, 2018 7:44 a.m.

so, because of identity politics, this is actually a story. That's disappointing.

• Red Smith American Fork, UT
    Sept. 14, 2018 7:24 a.m.

President Trump created 4 million jobs, increased Black and Latino jobs to historic levels, moved the US Embassy to Jerusalem, ended the gov't war on Christians, brought back Merry Christmas to the White House, brought back manufacturing jobs in steel, decreased the trade deficit, stopped giving billions to America haters, put two conservative judges on the US Supreme Court, de-nuked North Korea, de-fanged Iran, wiped out ISIS.

How ungrateful we are to a 71 year old man relentlessly attached by Dems, Republicans, Hollyweird, Acedemia, and the fake Press.

There isn't another man who could have done this in 20 months. Yet, people say they hate him. By their fruits ye shall know them.

What a wonderful imperfect man we have as president. May God continue to bless and protect President Trump.

• Dave T in Ogden Ogden, UT
    Sept. 14, 2018 7:08 a.m.

Let's do something about the high rate of suicides and divorces in this state; let's try contacting this rabbi to be one part to accomplish this goal.

Let's compare 2 states' data.
    Utah suicide rate - 21.8 (5th worst) Utah divorce rate - 14.0 (9th worst)
    Massachusetts suicide rate - 8.8 (1st best) Mass. divorce rate - 5.5 (3rd best)_

A CDC report: depression is not the only factor to cause suicides, but that of worries about finances and problems with relationships. Teens are at risk of suicides with parents fighting. Get rid of the current couples getting marriage counseling talking to one psychologist. How many couples getting this type of marriage counseling still end up in divorced? I bet this is a large number. Why should it continue?

A new national grading system should be created; marriage classes that are successful based on surveys of the couples even years afterwards gets an A+. Utah should duplicate these A+ classes.

In Massachusetts, a pair (married) counselors run marriage classes, this Rabbi could pair with another teacher to run these classes. With education, you lower the divorce rate, means lower suicides numbers. Why not try?

• Nichol Draper West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 14, 2018 6:46 a.m.

About a year ago I posted an article on Facebook about a liberal group who put on a recreation of a debate with a man who repeated Hillary Clinton's words and a woman who repeated Donald Trump's words. The outcome was surprising. I posted it as an interesting read for those who do not understand the appeal Trump has. One of my cousins posted that she could not understand anyone finding Trump appealing. I answered her back that while I disliked Obama I understand those who do and their reasons for liking him. And if she could not understand my point of view -- I didn't ask her to agree, just understand, then she was telling me that she was a person who refused listen and lacked empathy. Think about it, where are you?

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 13, 2018 11:27 p.m.

I am so grateful to have not had to fight this kind of battle with my spouse. We are in total agreement in supporting President Trump and all he has and is doing for our country. He has been amazing in his support of Israel and its leaders. He has done a stellar job with our economy, job creation, strengthed the military and police force, and rolled back needless regulations from the prior administration. I don't always agree with his rhetoric, but I always agree with his aggressive strong leadership that is recognized around the world!

I pay no attention to the pundits who want to destroy him. There has always been good vs. evil since the beginning. I am appreciative of all the good that President Trump has accomplished in face of a heavy cover-up of corruption in our leading law enforcement higher offices of the FBI and CIA.

The more he achieves, the more the Deep State and the left attack him. That means he is doing something right. I hope the American people can see the recklessness of the Democrats are now doing everything to divide us, encourage violence and disruption at every turn. Let's support our great President and vote Republican!

God bless the USA!