Could addiction, overdose warnings on prescription painkiller bottles lessen opioid crisis?

Sen. Orrin Hatch sponsors bill requiring labels

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 14, 2018 8:49 p.m.

Whether they do or don't ut us a good idea to gave a good visual string warning. People won't be able to say they didn't know. Larger print w/less words on it.

• Thomas Jefferson Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 13, 2018 9:10 a.m.

Is there anyone in the country who doesnt know that prescription painkillers arent addictive?

• Hemlock Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 13, 2018 8:22 a.m.

If one were to query everyone who takes prescription opioids about the hazards of overdose or addiction, very few would be naive about the risks. New labeling would be as effective as alcohol advertisements that say "Drink responsibly", i.e. become impaired responsibly.

• 1Reader Alpine, UT
    Sept. 12, 2018 10:44 p.m.

• BJMoose Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 12, 2018 7:09 p.m.

About as effective as a band aid on an artery. Ridiculous

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 12, 2018 5:47 p.m.

More nanny-state foolishness which will do nothing to prevent people from abusing opioids.
    The only things another warning label will do is give lawyers another excuse to file lawsuits against drug makers.
    If you want to ban opioids, just do it. If you want to continue to allow people to benefit from the legitimate use as a necessary pain killer then don't ban them.

Meanwhile increased publicity about that dangerous aspects of these drugs should alert doctors to avoid prescribing them, to be stingy with refills, and to strongly warn patients.

Of course none of that will do a thing to prevent folks who chose to abuse these from buying them on the black market, stealing them, doctor shopping for multiple prescriptions in order to feed their habit.

More labels are a waste of time.

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    Sept. 12, 2018 5:07 p.m.

More useless legislation. This won't do anything to stop addiction.

• aceroinox Farmington, UT
    Sept. 12, 2018 3:55 p.m.

@imsmarterthanyou wrote:
    "The only people who are addicts are those who choose to be."

That simply not true.

Earlier this year I had my knee replaced. In spite of all precautions on my part and my surgeon's part, I became physically dependent on oxycodone. Once the dependence was diagnosed, I stopped cold turkey, and went through more than three weeks of withdrawal symptoms, but after that it was pretty much done.

Why didn't I become addicted? Because I don't have the disease. Yes, that's right: addiction is a disease, not a choice. Here's the problem: doctors don't have a reliable test for the disease. Family history can be an indicator, if there are instances of substance abuse or addictive behaviors. The first dose can be a telltale sign: if it makes you feel "happy", floating or detached in addition to relieving pain, you may have the disease. If so, don't take the second pill before consulting with your doctor, the ER, or the Substance Abuse Hotline 1-800-662-HELP (4357). You don't want to become a statistic!

Please spread the word! Let's hope we can keep innocent folks who unknowingly suffer from this disease from becoming trapped, by preventing the first step.

• ConservativeCommonTater Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2018 3:10 p.m.

Of course Orrin wants to put a warning label bill before the Senate so he can get his name on another useless bill/law.

Labels already tell people that "alcohol may enhance effects" so that people that want to get buzzed can amplify the effect.

Don't we already have warning signs about speeding, murder, sexual assault, etc? They are called "laws."

People don't pay attention to anything they don't want to pay attention to. If you don't already know that opiates can lead to addiction or death, you must live somewhere that doesn't have mass media or that doesn't sell opiates.

• bassoonlady OREM, UT
    Sept. 12, 2018 3:03 p.m.

I think labels could help, especially if they give you warning signs to look for and not just a general "this drug can cause addiction" warning.
    When I first started anxiety meds (some of which can be addictive), I was very naive. Even knowing that prescription drugs can be addictive, I didn't know the beginning signs of addiction, and therefore didn't know when I was starting down the path to addiction.
    This information would have been helpful to me then, and could save others like me.
    I was fortunate that I felt prompted by the spirit to stop taking the meds and had the help of my mother to wean me off of them,
    I didn't know I was on that path until I had gotten off of it, and I might not have had a very good outcome.
    Even if it only helps a few naive souls like me, the labels are worth it.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Sept. 12, 2018 1:45 p.m.

@imsmarterthanyou - Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2018 12:51 p.m.
    No, warning labels will do nothing. The only people who are addicts are those who choose to be."

I'm with you that the labels will do nothing. However, your statement about people choosing to be addicts is misinformed. Utah has many opioid addicted people. Many of them middle to upper class, white, church going people that were injured and got addicted. You can read about Utah, LDS politicians, fire department leaders, and white collar workers that got in trouble from their addiction. They did not choose to be addicts.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Sept. 12, 2018 1:23 p.m.

Riiight. Like nobody doesn't know from their doctors or the media about opioid addiction. Hatch has been in Big Pharma's pockets for decades. Big Pharma doesn't want to compete with legal marijuana. This is nothing but an attempt to try to show the public they're trying to not sell so many opiates. Too late. Putting labels on them will be as effective as putting labels on guns to say do not shoot up schools.

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2018 12:51 p.m.

No, warning labels will do nothing. The only people who are addicts are those who choose to be. Telling them it isn't good for them is as useless as putting that same label on tobacco.

• SMcloud Sandy, UT
    Sept. 12, 2018 12:11 p.m.

It would probably help. I know three people who overdosed who started on their path to addiction because of legitimate surgeries and injuries that required a painkiller.

Three people who worked hard and had families and had never smoked a cigarette or had a sip of alcohol. They were lied to about how addictive opioids were and now they are dead.