BYU's defense working on stopping the run as it gets set to take on No. 6 Wisconsin, nation's leading rusher

• CV Storm Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 14, 2018 1:24 p.m.

The plain fact is that the difference between the Ute and BYU programs is microscopically thin. The Cougs with their schedule are probably going to end up 4-8 this season. The Utes with their schedule are going to end up around 4-8. And they are playing basically the same level of teams with a few exceptions. The Utes aren't playing a team the level of Wisconsin and the Cougs aren't playing as consistent level of teams as the Utes. The stretch where the Utes play the PAC12 Northern Division teams is brutal. So the Cougs and Utes ought to work to keep their marriage intact because they both thrive on the rivalry. My Ags are still a little behind them as far as being competitive year in and year out, but I think the Ags are getting more consistent.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Sept. 13, 2018 11:36 a.m.

Husky,

Some ute fans are looking for a rise.

Some have emotional issues, this is their escape and it's rediculous.

Some retaliate against byu fans who make comments on the Utah boards.

By a large margin, most utes want to play byu. It's generally by far the most respectable occ play they get, and they keep winning in dramatic fashion.

That's a great rivalry - I'm all for it continuing. Some of the smack is rediculous, but overall fans from both sides respect the excitement of the game.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 13, 2018 6:39 a.m.

@ Henry and Impartial,

I agree with your comments. But why some Ute fans want to cancel the BYU rivalry forever is beyond me. They don't play any other good OOC teams, instead "concentrating" on winning their division with Div 2 tuneups.

They don't realize that the rest of the country, outside the mountain - pacific time zones, including journalists, never see the Utes play. BYU plays a national schedule. BYU is a national brand. Utah? Just another PAC12 also ran. Sure, BYU gets beaten recently by LSU, Wisconsin, but the've also beaten Texas, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, to name a few. And last year BYU earned over 15 million in TV revenue. The BYU-Arizona game was 2nd in national audience with 1.5 million viewers.

Personally, I don't care if BYU never plays Utah again; I'll be enjoying games against national powers. Yes, Utah is P5, but the last time I looked at the BYU schedule, 40-50% of the future BYU schedule is against PAC12 teams.

So Ute fans, it is strange that BYU plays nationally, and every other PAC12 team, but many Ute fans don't want to play them. U will get more TV coverage playing BYU than U playing USC.

Just sayin.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Sept. 13, 2018 12:38 a.m.

These conversations need to be more common among us all.

• StocksOnTheRocks Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 12, 2018 11:41 p.m.

BYU's defense working on keeping the game with in "30"

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 12, 2018 9:20 p.m.

@Jello is Good

When in doubt, blame Bronco.

Personally, I just hope BYU goes into the game and plays assignment sound football. Wisconsin is loaded at every position and will be hard to stop, but playing a team like this can still pay dividends.

I've always appreciated your approach to a good rivalry so I'll save my trash talk until November. Until then best of luck.

Peace. Out.

• Jello is Good ,
    Sept. 12, 2018 5:37 p.m.

@Impartial

Thank you for honest discussion. It is a rarity on these comment boards. The rivalry used to be fun, and not just when BYU was winning. When did it turn so nasty?

Good luck to Utah this week.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Sept. 12, 2018 4:09 p.m.

I love to trash talk BYU football. (Not volleyball- they're world class). But, I have to give them credit for their schedule this year. AZ, Cal, Washington, Boise State and Utah. If they have a good season, no one can say it was a cupcake sked. The only way to improve is to play good competitive teams. Good job to the Coach and AD.