Fasting may help you live longer, new study says

• Thomas Jefferson Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2018 8:39 a.m.

@Max

"You are a better reader than I am (or maybe you just read things that aren't there) but for the life of me, I can't find where Thid says he was "born" into any religion. Maybe you can point it out to me."

It was an assumption I made. But it is based on very good data. Nearly everyone who has a religion learned it from their parents, aka 'born into it'. It is totally possible that thud was raised a muslim from Egypt who then immigrated here and found a new religion...but come on. I am playing the odds and he/she being a mormon who lives in south eastern Idaho, I am not making any wild assumptions here.

• wjaygold Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 11, 2018 8:47 p.m.

I'm turning 72 in a week. Spent my life learning about ways to better health on the side. There has been many studies on fasting for decades. It's nothing new. Just not given to mainstream audiences, and not taught as beneficial by the medical industry. There are clinics in parts of the world that actually use fasting as a cure of many diseases. One is in Russia, and is sanctioned by their government. Another is in Germany which also has local fame. Finally, the Longevity Center in California began taking a serious look at actual human controlled fasting for longevity and health. The results are amazing! Numerous articles, videos, and other forms of media are available on the Internet. I have spent a lot of my own time in life intermittently fasting. To this day, I fast most Sundays, and eat a very conservative diet, mostly of vegetables and fruit. But I also eat meat but not much. And I stay away from GMO grains and seeds for the most part unless sprouted. To this day, my health is excellent. I don't exercise. I work at a desk. But I can still work a full day in 115 degree Arizona summer sun without bad effects. Fasting can dramatically reverse bad health.

• RJohnson Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 8:31 p.m.

@Maxm.

"I can't find where Thid says he was "born" into any religion."

I remember Primary and Sunday school teachers tell us "how blessed we were to have been born in to the church." My mother went so far as to teach us that we were in the last group of souls in Heaven and were special because we were held to be born near the time of the second coming."

But, you are correct. I was not born into a church. I, like everyone on the planet, was born Atheist; it's the default state.

• esther414 Elk Grove, CA
    Sept. 11, 2018 5:22 p.m.

Our bodies are so amazing! Interesting to have this article regarding the health benefits of fasting come across my news feed today. Just a couple of days ago I watched a documentary called "Science of Fasting." (You can find it on youtube, it's 56 minutes.)

• my_two_cents_worth university place, WA
    Sept. 11, 2018 5:01 p.m.

@Thid Barker

“This provides a new prospective about the Lord's law of the fast”

"O you who have believed, decreed upon you is fasting as it was decreed upon those before you that you may become righteous -"
    — Quran, Surah Al-Baqarah, Ayah 183

• Max Upstate, NY
    Sept. 11, 2018 5:00 p.m.

Thomas:

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    Sept. 11, 2018 3:38 p.m.

I search too, and I am not wrong! But why argue? If you don't believe it, its ok! Believe what you want!

• Thomas Jefferson Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 3:30 p.m.

@ thud

You should really actually READ* your supposed references before you post them. That verse doesnt say anything like you seem to think is says.

Also, you do know that Allah demands fasting too, right? Muslims fast from dawn to dusk for a month (Ramadan) out of each year. So that means the Islam is the 'true' religion?

And Hindus fast as well, a few times a month. Something I didnt personally know but a simple google search revealed.

So according to your metric, I must conclude that Islam, Hinduism, and Mormonism are the 'true' religions. Arent you lucky that you were born into 'one' of the true ones?

You are clearly engaged in confirmation bias. Its par for the course with religions. That is why they all think they are the 'true' one.

Religion: They cant all be true but they can all be false.

*And understand.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 3:10 p.m.

Thid,

I did search.

You are wrong.

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    Sept. 11, 2018 2:37 p.m.

Jesus taught us about the law of the fast in Luke 5:33-39, among other places. I suggest you go to LDS.org and do a search about the law of the fast! You will get tons of references. Have a great day!

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 2:16 p.m.

Thid,

There is no such thing as "the law of the fast" in all of LDS scripture. Recent General Conference talks that discuss it do so from the perspective of "helping the poor and needy", NOT for its health benefits. There are NO health benefits identified nor promised in the scriptures attending "fasting" in any way, shape or form.

And, therefore, no identifiable "Lord" gave any "law of the fast". TJ's question is valid.

You are substituting your own speculation and opinion for doctrine. Not a good idea.

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    Sept. 11, 2018 12:38 p.m.

"And which 'lord'?" Easy question: The only Lord that gave us the law of the fast! See how easy that was?

• Thomas Jefferson Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 11:48 a.m.

@ thud

And which 'lord'? We all know that humans have invented thousands of deities so if you are going to reference one then you should be more specific.

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    Sept. 11, 2018 10:40 a.m.

This provides a new prospective about the Lord's law of the fast and "fast Sundays" doesn't it? Aren't we all blessed when we live the Lord's laws, even if we don't know why, yet?