Jody Genessy: Random observations from the BYU football game

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Sept. 12, 2018 11:13 a.m.

@ Real Ute - Dallas, TX - Sept. 11, 2018 3:27 p.m. - "I think James Taft Fredette should not be the continuous, annual sideline attraction at all Y home football games. The dude needs to move on to adulthood.......
    I never hung out at the U after I graduated other than buying tickets to watch the games in the stands where I belonged. I never went back to my high school, junior high or elementary schools either........"

Hey, that was really mature of you to tell us all how mature you are. Thank you.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Sept. 12, 2018 11:04 a.m.

@Real Ute

"I think James Taft Fredette should not be the continuous, annual sideline attraction at all Y home football games. The dude needs to move on to adulthood......."

This is a terrible take. Every school has famous/legendary alums back at football games. It's fun for them, good for fans, good for the team, and good for recruiting. I love seeing guys like Kuzma, Poeltl, Bogut, Delon, Weddle, Steve Smith Sr., and many other Utes at football games, and I love seeing the applause from the fans that these Utes deserve.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Sept. 12, 2018 11:03 a.m.

@ Real Ute - Dallas, TX - Sept. 11, 2018 3:17 p.m. - "Hey Jody, if BYU fed the "grub" that you boast of that the media eats to the BYU teams every day, they would play far better. I've shot many times at the Y and the media eats like kings........I couldn't believe how well the Y treated the media, far better than Augusta National Golf Club does during "The Master's"...........all a promo show so the media says good things is all."

Or....maybe BYU personnel just have a generous spirit about them and want to make visitors feel welcome.

• NoCal_Native Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 6:46 p.m.

Real Ute - Yeah, hanging out at the old university is very uncool... kind of like what Kyle Kuzma did at the Ute opener against Weber State. Or like what those immature former players like Andrew Bogut have done... or Alex Smith & Eric Weddle at BB games. Yep, Jimmer is pretty lame.

• nananana batman saint george, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 6:39 p.m.

We know the screen name of real Ute is used sarcastically!

• CO Ute Chandler, AZ
    Sept. 11, 2018 5:57 p.m.

For all of you that might happen to read this, Real Ute is not really a Ute fan ... or at best not one that any of the true fans claim as one of their own.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 11, 2018 4:12 p.m.

@Blue Husky,

James Taft is only a "celebrity" at BYU. I hear ya "brother." You people worship your heroes 1000%. JTF needs to stop milking Y fans for money and hugs......that is Y he shows up every home game.

I don't think we are childish enough to go back to a school and parade around Blue Husky. I consider us both adults, sir.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 3:55 p.m.

wahului - Stockton, CA
    Sept. 11, 2018 3:47 p.m.

14-1 1996 team

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 11, 2018 3:49 p.m.

Hey, Real Ute, same with a million other fans. We weren't superstar celebrities that Jimmer was. Nobody cares about us.

Frankly, after not watching ANY college hoops since the 12 - 10 four corners offenses destroyed college hoops, I chanced on a BYU vs Arizona game, where Jimmer was lighting it up. I watched the game and was hooked! I still love me some Jimmer.

• wahului Stockton, CA
    Sept. 11, 2018 3:47 p.m.

I have a problem with the idea that MLP voiced about him not showing enough leadership, although I appreciate his willingness to step up . He can't provide that for anyone else. During this last offseason, there was a human interest story on BYU Sports Nation, featuring BYU former linebacker extraordinaire Shay Muirbrook (1993-1996), who made 46 a number no-one wanted to run into on the field. During the interview, the question was asked about who he remembered most as the leaders of BYU's 14-0 1996 team. Without hesitation, Muirbrook responded "EVERYBODY!!!". "Every guy on that team thought he was the leader". There you have it Every player needs to live that role and fulfill it. Work like it, play like it, think like it, DO IT. Live your dream.
    Make it happen, COUGARS!!!!!!!!!!

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 11, 2018 3:27 p.m.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 11, 2018 3:17 p.m.

• daver Provo, 00
    Sept. 11, 2018 11:51 a.m.

Definitely looking for more rewarding ways to spend 3 hours of precious time. I'm much more tolerant of a loss, when my team plays good football, win or lose. BYU didn't.

• David Centerville, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 9:54 a.m.

I think receivers holding onto passes would have made a difference. Finding a way to not stall out on drives would help. There was a series of sweeps by Hoge that didn't get enough yards on a hopeful drive that ended with BYU turning the ball over after a failed 4th down attempt. They only needed 4 points to have won that game, but the offense was very weak.