Kalani Sitake admires Wisconsin's style of play, wants BYU to play like Badgers

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Sept. 11, 2018 10:55 a.m.

I don't understand fans who want BYU to play a vanilla schedule to get to a game with a formidable opponent.

You know we can play big teams throughout the year, right? so why sacrifice 12 games to get 1 game?

Somebody said that nobody gives BYU a chance in this game which is why they have one - I've seen some big teams get shocked by BYU, Why don't we just wait and see what happens.

• Red Corvette St George, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 10:50 a.m.

"If wishes were fishes..."

• 1984 for life Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 10:48 a.m.

london_josh - Lincoln, CA
    Sept. 10, 2018 11:36 p.m.

Loved your bold prediction last week about starting off 2-0 and "BYU should beat Cal."

How'd that crow taste ?

• Carnak Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 10:44 a.m.

This is hilarious. Sitake wants BYU to play like Wisconsin. Well, I want to play tennis like Nadal.

Neither one is going to happen based on the huge difference in talent level.

• BlueAgBone Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 10:36 a.m.

@CougarForever

I think you're in for a rude awakening against the Wisconsin Badgers. Alex Hornibrook rarely beats himself and his receivers are very reliable. BYU's receivers are not reliable and Mangum has looked mediocre this year. Wisconsin is in another stratosphere compared to Cal, so the comparison to Alabama is irrelevant.

New Mexico hung with Wisconsin because New Mexico has a reliable running game in their option offense. That type of play tends to frustrate teams early. BYU has neither of those things going for them. I bet Wisconsin will stack the box and dare Mangum to throw.

Cougs will probably lose by 21+ points. Wisconsin's depth is far superior to BYU's and you'll see it first hand in Camp Randall.

• Caddis Terry, MT
    Sept. 11, 2018 10:04 a.m.

I'm tired of Independence. Already we are out of the running for a nice meaningful bowl game. There is no conference championship to chase. Already... Two games in. It's dumb.

• Teancum.45 Bogue, NC
    Sept. 11, 2018 9:57 a.m.

To London Josh,

The facet of the cougar offense that has stayed the same is Tanner Mangum. Bad decisions at the most inopportune times. No life or urgency until end of 4th qtr. I'm tired of watching the "Losing cycle with Tanner Mangum." A losing cycle with Zach Wilson would refreshing at this point.

• blue & white Boise, ID
    Sept. 11, 2018 8:32 a.m.

What prevents us from playing like Wisconsin or how Boise State plays? We did get a recruit from Wisconsin Ula T. What happened to him? He can certainly help in the running game. One thing can help is take what the game gives you. In the first half vs Cal we had a 47 yard FG opportunity and instead KS wanted to get a couple of yards with Hodge three times who is not our best running back. We turned the ball over on downs.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 7:03 a.m.

To play like Wisconsin you have to recruit like Wisconsin. Sadly, that is not going to happen.

• slackoff green river, WY
    Sept. 11, 2018 4:22 a.m.

We want to play like Wisconsin. What a statement for a coach to make. Kind of like " why can't you be like your brother". What does a statement like that do for the players? Well it doesn't build confidence. I feel for sitake but he may have to much to learn in a short time to survive.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 11, 2018 3:27 a.m.

Well, clearly BYU is in for trouble here. But we can hope for a stout effort. I don't think BYU will use Zach Wilson here ... not a game to throw a freshman into. But we'll see how things go. BYU is a lot bigger than last year, so lets see what they can do.

Man up Cougs.

• CougarForever Holladay, Utah
    Sept. 11, 2018 1:50 a.m.

Those of you who think that this will be a walk-through for Wisconsin apparently didn't watch them struggle in the first half of their two games against teams that are much worse than we are. The Badgers are good but the gap between Wisconsin and BYU is not nearly as great as most think. Despite all the hype and talk about how fabulous their OL is, etc, etc, Wisconsin is not a superpower team the way Alabama is this year.

We likely won't win but if just a few breaks go our way (such as a forced fumble from Taylor given how loosely he carries the ball, an interception on an errant throw from Hornibrook given that he seems to be less polished this year) and if our front seven do a reasonable job limiting Wisconsin's run game (definitely possible) then it could well be a single digit difference in the scores.

All this talk about Wisconsin being better than they were last year is folly -- watch their games against the Hilltoppers and the Lobos. The Badgers actually have regressed. They still are good but not nearly as scary as this article makes them out to be.

Wisconsin by 7 (and a return of some respect for us).

• Spoons lake tahoe, NV
    Sept. 11, 2018 12:43 a.m.

Can’t believe Gary Anderson left Wisconsin to go to Oregon State. He could have been competing for national titles and making millions.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Sept. 10, 2018 11:36 p.m.

"So, how has this team's offensive performance been different from last years??"

Let's see:

Tanner has a higher rating.

We beat a P5 team and hung in with another one where last year we didn't look good against any P5.

BYU put up 28 against Arizona, last year BYU started with only 20 against Portland state, then 0,13, and 6 in the P5s (averaging 23 against P5s so far this year). On BYU's 9th game at home against SJSU they went past what they did to Arizona on opening night and only passed this year's average a total of 3 times all against G5s.

OL is significantly better. WRs are much better, RBs are moving better.

What do you think looks the same?

• Cougar Claws Lindon, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 11:08 p.m.

Okay everyone. I'm not wrong often, but when I am, I admit it . . .

I was wrong about the Cal game.

I forgot to eat my crow from last weekend, so, here I am, eating it. I was hoping it would be a little more tender and slow cooked, but this is a tougher one to swallow.

I just thought that based on the numbers that BYU would be able to play shutdown defense, but, Cal was much better than their numbers showed, and BYU was worse.

Lots of work to do on offense. I do like the resilience that they showed at the end.

That being said, I think it goes without saying that the outcome isn't in question for this contest. Which begs the question . . . what score would BYU fans be happy with this weekend? In my mind, good defense against this team might be 4 touchdowns,

What would the offense need to do for you to be pleased? A touchdown? Two touchdowns? I think if BYU brings their absolute A-game that it's hard to expect better than like a 28-14 loss. That's my 2 cents opinion, anyway.

• Deanvrtc Vancouver, WA
    Sept. 10, 2018 10:41 p.m.

No chance for my Cougars here. Not a prayer. I’m just hoping none of our kids get hurt. This is like a junior high team playing high school varsity. The difference in size/strength/and raw athleticism between these programs is beyond huge. Wisconsin really might compete for the national championship. My Cougars will not be ranked in the top 50 teams. That’s allot of talent difference.
    In a game like this, you can hope a few players do a few good things....but it’s likely going to be painful to watch. Cougar football is like that in recent years....but I still watch. Weird.
    This will be a good time...when Wisconsin calls off their starters...to give Wilson some time. Mangum is not the guy coach Sitake. Talent aside...he can’t/does not lead.

• wer South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 10:33 p.m.

So, how has this team's offensive performance been different from last years??

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Sept. 10, 2018 10:10 p.m.

Biggest challenge of the year, and on the road. While there is little chance BYU wins this game, it would be great if BYU can do better than last year, especially against a Wisconsin that is better than last year, go Cougars!

• blue & white Boise, ID
    Sept. 10, 2018 9:49 p.m.

Need to play Katoa, Heifo, Gunner Romney more and tight ends. Don’t pass up 50 yd field goals.

• PRSomega Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 9:29 p.m.

Bench Magnum and put in Zach...it can't get any worse and hopefully it will improve the offense.

• wahului Stockton, CA
    Sept. 10, 2018 9:23 p.m.

Don't worry, BYU won't end up with two field goals this year. Kalani won't allow it. He'll go for 4th down runs instead.

• red.diehard Central, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 5:54 p.m.

“That game was frustrating. I was hurt and that was the one game that I missed. It was frustrating watching on the sideline," he said. "They dominated us last year and we have a bitter taste in our mouth this year. Coming off this loss (against Cal), we’re really excited and motivated to get this one.”

Very curious statement, "motivated to get this one", another loss?

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    Sept. 10, 2018 5:44 p.m.

I think they will definitely play like Wisconsin. The 1990 Wisconsin.

• Keyser Sose American Fork, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 5:33 p.m.

Sitake wants BYU to play like the Badgers..................Ooooookay.

• IdahoCoog Malad City, ID
    Sept. 10, 2018 5:10 p.m.

BYU has a great field goal kicker... please use him!