Utah Utes confident they'll get their issues resolved in time to face Washington Huskies

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 12, 2018 11:42 a.m.

“London, you're probably right. You know more about the Utes than I do.”

Bwhahahahaha

He knows squat about my Alma Mater U.

Heck, he doesn’t even know the team he professes fandom for, byu-p.....Afterall, he predicted a finish ranked 11-2 year for them, including a W over us of all Ws—Lol

There are blatantly obvious flaws/omissions in Limp’s “assessment” of our game against UW, yet he doesn’t even realize it.....Hysterical.

Go Utes!

• Leonidas Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 12, 2018 8:46 a.m.

The best team in utah history will go down by 10, and yes the Huskies will beat the Cougs by about 21.

• top of the world ,
    Sept. 12, 2018 8:41 a.m.

London, you're probably right. You know more about the Utes than I do. Any win will do, right?

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Sept. 12, 2018 2:01 a.m.

"Final score 31 - 28...Utes! "

I'm all for Utah winning, but how do they put up 31 points, that would be something like 4 pick six's?

If Utah wins, it's a very low scoring affair.

Utah's D could shut down Washington, both secondaries will lock up half the offenses, Utah might have an advantage on LBs and DL - but Washington has way more potential on the offense so Utah's D is better but at a serious disadvantage.

If the game opens up and scores start piling up, it's gonna be an embarrassment for the Utes.

If the Utes win the game, it's with a combined score of less than 30 total points, anything over a combined score of 30 goes to Washington - I just can't see Utah winning an offensive game against Washington.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 11, 2018 11:47 p.m.

AZUTE1 - Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 11, 2018 6:24 p.m.
    “Saturday, that buttoned-up Utah defense will run up against a Washington offense that has broken seventeen plays of 20 yards or longer.”

What % of those came against AU?

Go Utes!

----

5 of 17 (29%)

Our defense will be fine, it's the lack offense that will be a problem.

Moss and Covey will need to have big games.

• top of the world ,
    Sept. 11, 2018 7:29 p.m.

I'm not the least bit concerned as to whether or not the Utes will come out Saturday night and play lights out. Will it be good enough to take down another good team? We'll just have to wait and see. I am a Washington fan from way back but I won't be disappointed if the Utes pull this one off. I think they will. Final score 31 - 28...Utes! If my Huskies win, good for them.

The Utes have not lived up to my expectations, but then again I didn't expect that last team to be as good as they showed. That will be another loss for my Cougs unless things turn around drastically.

• UteinIdaho Sandpoint, ID
    Sept. 11, 2018 7:28 p.m.

Completely agree with Imcrimson...

"Part of being a Utah Utes fan is watching them struggle against an opponent that on paper they shouldn’t and then do really well against an opponent that they should struggle with. It might surprise but wouldn’t shock anybody If Utah beat Washington and then struggle with Arizona and Colorado. . . “and will be till I die kai yai”

Utah, under Whittingham, has a tendency to play to the level of their competition. That's what happened against NIU, and that's what I expect to happen this Saturday. I expect them to be right in this game and either win or lose by 1 score, anywhere from 3-7.

I also find myself agreeing with Leeroy Jenkins. I'm not so sure about Harding being a very good O line coach. 4 starters back from an O line that wasn't that good last year, and so far they look WORSE. Not a very good sign of good coaching.

Final thought, I fully expect the team, particularly the O and special teams to bounce back. I love the quotes(most of them not in this article, heard them on the radio) from Covey and Huntley. If the O line starts playing decent and the WR's run better routes, I think Huntley will start living up to expectations.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 11, 2018 6:24 p.m.

What % of those came against AU?

Go Utes!

• CO to AZ Ute Chandler, AZ
    Sept. 11, 2018 3:50 p.m.

Put up or shut up time for the Utes.

Washington
    WSU
    Stanford
    Arizona
    USC

To be contenders the Utes need 3 victories minimum. To be strong contenders they need 4 wins. Anything less will put them way behind with virtually no room for error. ASU and Colorado are better than expected and Arizona will eventually get the offense rolling. Utes can’t play catch up in the standings and expect to win the division.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 3:03 p.m.

Pat Forde Yahoo Sports stat of the week "Among teams that have played two games or more, Utah is the only one that has yet to give up a gain of 20 yards or more from scrimmage. Saturday, that buttoned-up Utah defense will run up against a Washington offense that has broken seventeen plays of 20 yards or longer."

• P5Proud Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 11, 2018 1:45 p.m.

Six sacks is at least a little bit of a reason to be all "fussy fussy".

• utahcoyote Saint George, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 1:13 p.m.

would love to see some downfield passing early in the game by utah. there is plenty of team speed at the wideout position. getting covey involved in something more than a bubble screen early in the game.

suspect it winds up being a relatively close game. the issue last year was that utah managed to snatch defeat from the hands of victory.

• Utesforme Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 12:13 p.m.

Hopefully the problem can be changed and is a not matter of lacking talent. The o-line does not look much different than a year ago, and in terms of protection, looks worse. Also Huntley seems a step slower in evading tacklers this year as though he is over thinking his responses to the defenses he has faced. It will be interesting to see if the offense will be better this weekend in putting winning points on the board and giving the defense some needed rest.

• Juice Box Eureka, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 11:22 a.m.

In a Peterson v Whittingham matchup, safe bet is Peterson.

Hope the Utes can fix these issues, though. I just don't know if they can improve too much in all problem areas in 1 week. We are playing against a stellar D this week so it will be even harder for the Utah offense. On the bright side, it's relieving to hear that at least Washington has offensive issues too.

Please no more ugly games. And please can Utah score on the first drive of the game? Instead of trying to establish a run game, how about trying to establish dominance?

• Leeroy Jenkins Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 11:00 a.m.

Henry Drummond:

"Jim Harding is a great O-Line coach."

I would have to disagree with you there. Harding has fielded one respectable offensive line during his Utah tenure, and the rest have been average at best, and 10+ false starts (in one half alone in 2016) bad. I'm pretty baffled why others believe he's doing a good job.

Utah definitely has a shot of winning Saturday, but the game being close will have more to do with Washington's own offensive woes going up against Utah's elite defense, than it does with Utah's long-shot chance of being vastly improved on offense.

• jmac77 West Valley City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 10:46 a.m.

Utah has underwhelmed so far this season, but they usually get up for big games and play well (usually, not always). Look at how they've done against top-10 Washington teams the past two seasons. No, the Utes haven't prevailed, which ultimately is what matters. But they have gone toe to toe with the Huskies. One could argue Utah should have won the last two—losing on a punt return for a TD two years ago and giving up 10 points in a minute to lose by seven last season. In fact, last season, Utah was coming in having played poorly at home against Washington State and having really laid an egg in a bunch of games prior. But they gave the Huskies all they could handle.

It's easy to say Washington will blow Utah out, but I've got a feeling we'll see a different team this Saturday than we've seen so far this year. The question is, will it be enough. I'm afraid to say it might not be, and Washington will probably pull it out.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 11, 2018 10:27 a.m.

@ArizonaUte
    Jim Harding is a great O-Line coach. I think play will improve over the course of the season but I don't know if it can improve fast enough to beat Washington on Saturday. I think we have a shot though.

• ArizonaUte SLC, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 9:20 a.m.

@Leonidas - Salt Lake City, UT

You never know. Vegas has UW as a 6 point favorite. That isn't much really.

If Utah fixes a few things, they could beat UW. Utah's D is legit. And if the O can improve - and teams do improve - I'd give Utah a great shot at winning the PAC 12 opener at home.

• KimmyP Grantsville, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 9:04 a.m.

Typically, I have the opposite view of cougarforever, but in this instance, I must admit I agree wholeheartedly with his assessment.

• Leonidas Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 8:38 a.m.

Washington has a better team and a better coach. Ute win very unlikely.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 11, 2018 7:55 a.m.

Utah has lost at home, by more than 8 points, once in the last 3 years. Over the last 3 years Utah has beaten Washington by 11, lost to them by 3 and 7 points. I find all this gloom and doom quite comical. It's not like U W has shined in it's two games. As a matter of fact they looked pretty average against Auburn. Utah will show up Saturday. They may lose but I don't see them getting romped out. The defense will rise up and Utah always plays U Dub tough. I'm optimistic; it will be a close game Saturday night. Utah pulls this one off and shuts up the haters; Go Utes!

• imcrimson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 6:41 a.m.

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 4:59 a.m.

As usual.. not enough offense to hang with a legit Washington team

• CougarForever Holladay, Utah
    Sept. 11, 2018 2:22 a.m.

I genuinely would like to see the Utes do well in PAC-12 play (but, of course, lose to us).

However, apparently despite prior expectations, the Utah offense is moribund. Their offensive line is not good ("bad" would be appropriate) and Huntley just doesn't seem to have a good college football QB skillset for someone who Whittingham was raving about in camp. He doesn't seem to know when "fast balls" vs "touch" passes are needed, doesn't understand altering pass angles/arc, doesn't seem to have an internal clock regarding how long he can hold the ball, doesn't seem to go through his reads well and often is widely inaccurate even on the rare occasions when he has some time to throw. And a bad OL makes it all worse.

There is no way Utah can get ready for its meeting with Washington this weekend. Washington is going to be an angry team with something to prove all season and both the Utes and the Cougars (us and Wash State) will be victims of their wrath.

Our game with Wisconsin likely won't be pretty but what Washington is going to do to the Utes this Saturday in SLC and to us two weeks later in Washington is going to be a horror show.

• utahute69 Laguna Niguel, CA
    Sept. 10, 2018 11:40 p.m.

Other than the problems dealing with the Special Teams, this Whitingham interview could be used after almost every game Utah plays. After ten plus years, I am convinced that Utah will not have an outstanding offensive team anytime soon. The real question deals with Whitingham's conservative game management and his reliance on defense to win games. Does it really make any difference who the Offensive Coordinator is? I don't think it does. So far, the Offensive Unit is a disaster and isn't even close to preseason expectations. Fortunately, it sounds like Washington is having similar problems.

• PacUtes Orange County, CA