Dick Harmon: Kalani Sitake uses Dayan Ghanwoloku learning lesson as a theme to improve against Wisconsin

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 12, 2018 8:38 a.m.

@Real Ute - You are a true fan. Never mind the facts. The facts are these: Utah has not finished in the first division of the PAC12 conference a single time. BYU regularly beats Utah in all sports other than football and women's gymnastics.

I noticed in this year's schedule that Utah's other OOC games were against small colleges. BYU is the only prestigious non-conference game you play. Go ahead and drop the game. BYU will continue to progress while Utah struggles to be noticed in the PAC12. Consider AZ, ASU, WSU, OSU. All good PAC12 members, who have a good year every decade or two.

BYU plays nationally against the best teams. They play anybody. You want to hide in the PAC12 doldrums. Go ahead. Personally, I don't care whether BYU plays Utah at all. I don't see much to gain from BYU's perspective. BYU can fill that slot with Alabama or somebody good.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Sept. 12, 2018 2:20 a.m.

"even if we play a perfect mistake free game we'll still lose by at least 20 points. And we're not going to play a mistake free"

I certainly don't think BYU wins this game - but BYU has actually taken down bigger opponents than Wisconsin.

I agree, we probably lose by 20 points.

BYU has a good front D against the run, Wisconsin has an amazing OL so the secondary will need to be on point, but against New Mexico they put up 150 passing yards to 450 rushing, if they stay so unbalanced against BYU then BYU has a chance until BYU's defense get's tired of being shoved around by the offense.

However, if the BYU offense that showed up during Arizona's 3rd quarter comes out, they'll get enough points on the board to potentially make it interesting.

I've seen BYU beat #3 and #1 as well as other top 10 teams and ranked teams - and while we're missing those glorious wins recently, it's not impossible. Then again, 1984, 1990, 2009 - 2018 would be nice, probably not going to happen - but never say never, maybe we're in for that once in a blue moon - what will it mean - that sometimes BYU wins games that it shouldn't win and unfortunately more often BYU loses games it should win.

• nananana batman saint george, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 8:16 p.m.

I've said it before and I'll post it again but BYU is going to win this weekend. I've already made a friendly wager and I'm about to come into some Rolex bling for my wrist and solo trumpet lessons the world renown professor promises to teach me the cougar fight song and then we'll talk about photography!!
    I can't believe I'm going to win all of that because byu will beat Wisconsin!
    You heard it from me here first the only one saying it
    Batman! Byu wins byu wins!!!

• Common sense conservative Herriman, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 6:47 p.m.

I'm as blue as they come, but even if we play a perfect mistake free game we'll still lose by at least 20 points. And we're not going to play a mistake free father. My prediction:
    Wisconsin 55
    BYU 12

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 11, 2018 4:02 p.m.

Honestly, I cannot think of one thing that Deputy Sitake offers to a D1 athlete as a coach. He is in so over his head in everything........ He was hired by BYU as HC because he was the only person that could or would accept that position.

• wahului Stockton, CA
    Sept. 11, 2018 3:21 p.m.

Here's an even better idea: don't make the mistakes in the first place!!! Failure is not an option!!!!

• wahului Stockton, CA
    Sept. 11, 2018 3:16 p.m.

I wonder if Kalani could envision kicking the two field goals that were there for the taking...you know, six points vs the final three point margin...

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 11, 2018 2:29 p.m.

I respect most real BYU fans. I hope that the new Utah AD Mark Harlan will take BYU off of all Utah sports schedules. Buy them out and be done with them. Utah is a state school, as is USU, Weber State and the others. I wanna see my Utes play our real football rival Utah State, "our brothers." BYU was our longtime basketball rival is all.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 11, 2018 2:16 p.m.

@ Snack PAC,

I was born a Ute, a Utah grad, and I say this to you as an old man, kinda....... I feel fortunate that that the U was invited to the PAC. It is a great school. I learned important facts there that helped me compete in this vast world. Now, I get to see great teams in the best conference in the world compete against Utah. All I can say......."I really enjoy it." Is that okay by you?

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 11, 2018 2:04 p.m.

@estreetshuffle,

Hyperbole on the internet about BYU doesn't mean anything. The U of U is in the big time because it is a top-notch school in all ways.

What is this "BYU legacy" that you speak of? Are you talking about the obscure old WAC athletic days, or BYU as a school?

Would it work for you if the U cancels BYU on every schedule? I see no merit playing BYU ever again.

• estreetshuffle Window Rock, AZ
    Sept. 11, 2018 1:46 p.m.

@Real Ute: But, But .....But, When one searches the internet for the dominant school in Utah, its the one with the legacy and that's BYU. This is coming from an ASU, Arizona fan. Sorry to have to equalize. It's nice to have Utah as a fellow bottom of the barrel brother with us ASU and Arizona fans in the PAC-12.

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Sept. 11, 2018 1:43 p.m.

Real Ute

“Why do you comment about Utah? We play in the PAC.”

Why do you beat your chest about being “in the PAC”, when you’ve never accomplished anything of significance in the PAC?

BYU, and Utah, accomplished FAR more in the MWC, than the Utes have accomplished in the PAC.

Given the monetary and recruiting advantages of being in the PAC, BYU would have accomplished far more than you have.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 11, 2018 1:25 p.m.

@ Snack PAC,

Why do you comment about Utah? We play in the PAC. You folks do not. And, BYU is no competition for Utah in football, hasn't been for a decade, or will be ever again. Your team is already off, and won't be considered in our future schedules after 2022 according to new Utah AD Mark Harlan......thankfully!!!! We Utes love being in the PAC! We get to enjoy great games every year. Football is VERY entertaining to us. BYU is not "entertaining" at the D1 level in college football. You keep your chin up!

• Snack PAC Olympus Cove, Utah
    Sept. 11, 2018 1:03 p.m.

Pipes

“When you lack talent both in players and coaching, fluff is all that you have left.”

Which explains why Utah has never, and will never, win a PAC 12 championship.

The Utes barely escaped losing to a MAC team.

• steve24/7 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 1:00 p.m.

I'd like to see Mangum get in the faces of his receivers when they screw up instead of just running over to sit quietly on the bench like he's contemplating his future as an insurance salesman or accountant. Be a leader, show some fire and passion!

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 11, 2018 12:38 p.m.

Good luck BYU! You have serious competition coming to Provo. USU and NIU will most likely dominate the Y............then the U of Hawaii and their unreal QB Cole McDonald and his dangerous playmakers will show up too......I hope y'all are ready Y fans.....

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 11, 2018 11:51 a.m.

Who is BYU going to be able to hire as a head coach? Sitake was a "rah-rah" DC at Utah, but Utah's D is all KWhitt, always has been. Sitake doesn't know what to do. Look at BYU......it isn't going anywhere.

• estreetshuffle Window Rock, AZ
    Sept. 11, 2018 10:57 a.m.

Since Cougars train at approximately 5000 feet altitude, maybe they should use the no-huddle offense. Additionally, isn't Tanner Mangum used to the no huddle? Then again I don't know.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 10:27 a.m.

When you lack talent both in players and coaching, fluff is all that you have left. How about getting creative on offense or aggressive on defense? That's what a good coach does. Instead we get mindless rhetoric and fluff...