Utes seeking rapid improvement before Pac-12 opener against No. 10 Washington

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 11, 2018 12:27 a.m.

Marked it Down - Park City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 12:16 p.m.
    Fans hoping that Utah will simply be able to flip a switch and suddenly be able to play toe to toe with Washington after struggling mightily against a weak Northern Illinois team are only fooling themselves.

-----

It's a fact that Utah plays down to its opponents level.

Like in 2014:

3-9 Washington State 28
    Utah 27 at RES

Next week: Utah 30 at #10 10-3 UCLA 28

Or 2016, beat #3 USC then play down to 5-7 Cal and lost.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 11, 2018 12:03 a.m.

UteinIdaho - Sandpoint, ID
    Sept. 9, 2018 6:56 p.m.
    The fact is, Utah, under Whittingham, almost always plays to the level of their opponent. That's why last night was such an ugly dog fight, and why next Saturday will be a dog fight down to the wire, and Utah could win it. It's just the Whittingham way, and it's never going to change.

-----

I hope so. I hope NIU was the 4-8 Oregon or 5-7 Cal game that we unexpectedly "choke". While the same team is able to beat #3 USC.

I still have some major concerns about the OL and Huntley calling is own number rather than handing it off to Moss, but I think KW will have the team ready to play against Washington.

Go UTES!

• Ldsrm Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 3:15 p.m.

Utah has a great team I think we should probably have a good game against Washington . That being said I think The game on Saturday night showed us that winning against Washington is not likely

• ArizonaUte SLC, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 2:36 p.m.

@Marked it Down - Park City, UT

I agree with you to an extent but it's football and teams can improve.

UW was only beating North Dakota 17-0 at half and 24-3 at the end of 3. Browning was picked off twice in that game.

Utah is talented they just need to gel some. And many of the mistakes are definitely fixable.

I'll bet this is a very close game and that Utah has a chance to win at the end. Let's hope it goes our way.

• Marked it Down Park City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 12:16 p.m.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Sept. 10, 2018 10:50 a.m.

@Juice Box

At this point I'd be happy with a first down on an opening drive.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Sept. 10, 2018 10:50 a.m.

@Juice Box

At this point I'd be happy with a first down on an opening drive.

• Thomas Jefferson Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 9:25 a.m.

I suppose that at least they recognize they need to improve.

How many holding penalties do linemen get before the sit out? How many sacks do they get to allow? Some times you need to pull a guy out of the game to make a point.

The O-line needs some real improvement.
    Receivers need to catch anything they get their hands on every time. No excuses.

Defense looked pretty good but we will need them to score every game if we want to win.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 10, 2018 7:31 a.m.

Not to worried about this team. For what ever the reason, they play up and down to their competition. I think we will see a better effort on Saturday.

• Juice Box Eureka, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 7:32 a.m.

All I want for Christmas this year is for Utah to score on the opening drive on one game. That's all I ask.

• gdog3finally West Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 9, 2018 10:13 p.m.

I don't want to hear anymore garbage about limiting hits on Huntley. Rather it's designed runs or letting Huntley go RPO wild on his own, Utah needs to stop this madness or bench Huntley.

I would say just let Huntley do his thing and risk getting hurt but it's just not effective football anymore. Defenses have taken it away. Huntley getting more carries than Moss is a joke. Moss was more effective when he knew he was getting the ball with Troy Williams at QB. RPO football makes it harder for a line trying to come together.

And when Moss is sent running out wide where he got hurt last night is dumb. Moss is a North and South bruiser. His speed is better going down hill and hitting the hole. Trying to use him turning the corner on the edge is ignorant on the coaching staff.

No matter what talent Utah gets, Whitt's teams have NEVER had a consistent offense.

• NORCALUTE Modesto, CA
    Sept. 9, 2018 9:02 p.m.

I believe in the Utes...they have deep talent and lots of weapons. It's always a dog fight, get used to it, that will never change in football. Each and every game is never over until the clock hits zero. Get used to it people, it's not a cake walk. Got Utes and make use proud!

• UteinIdaho Sandpoint, ID