BYU, struggling offense falls to Cal in home-opener, 21-18

• CountryCoug Parker, CO
    Sept. 11, 2018 7:03 a.m.

Enough with the pre-programmed play calling. If the hand off to Hoge is not working why keep on doing it three plays in a row and waste a series. No series to waste in that game. Come on Grimes..... the OL was pushed around big time.

• Ronald Uharriet Menifee, CA
    Sept. 10, 2018 10:22 p.m.

Like most people posting on this site, I was very disappointed in the 3 point loss vs a Pac 12 P5 team.

Unlike most people posting, I did not see as bad of a BYU team vs. Cal, as most of you saw.

I saw BYU recover 3 turnovers made by Cal, that Cal was not able to recover. I saw one of those BYU recoveries run for a touch down that was called back due to a penalty of improper touching. This was a very unpopular referee decision that drew so many boo's on the called that it required instant replay. The many different versions of the instant replay did not convinced the 53,000+ crowd that the penalty was correct. It that call was not made, (improperly) than we would have won that game by 4 points. No I do not think that we played that poorly vs a Pac 12 team. I love the way the coaches use the 6 time outs to make game time corrections. I was proud of the team and I was proud of the coaches. I was disappointed that we the 3.5 point favorites, according to the Las Vegas Line, did not reach that goal. I do not expect BYU to win the #4 team in the Nation for our nest game in Wisconsin, but I do expect us to look good in the loss.

• CHANGENOW Sacramento, CA
    Sept. 10, 2018 1:29 p.m.

BYU needed to change the QB in the fourth QTR to at least see what the ROOKIE QB could have done and PROTECT LES HOUSE. Mangum is not a good choice for QB against Wisconsin.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 10, 2018 1:14 p.m.

@BleedCougarBlue,

I hear you sir. BYU needs to try to get in the Big Sky Conference. That way they'll win games like they did in the "glory years" in the old WAC.

I don't think it is fair that some/many Y fans get upset at these players that had few other options to play college football other than BYU. The expectations are too great........your feeling as well.

Try to continue to look at BYU positively.........and get in a competitive conference like the Big Sky!!! Then, the wins will come and y'all will be happy!!!!

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Sept. 10, 2018 12:15 p.m.

Disappointing to lose. Almost as disappointing how many (supposedly) BYU fans are already throwing in the towel on Mangum and/or the season.

Tough times demand stout hearts.

Go Cougars!

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 10, 2018 11:42 a.m.

@ CV Storm,

I've known London Josh for more than a decade and he is wonderful, brilliant LDS man that can talk "real ball"........not about BYU though. He loves BYU 110% and is hoping.......I cut him slack because I know him.

I appreciate your comments and insight sir.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 10, 2018 11:32 a.m.

The thing about Mangum is when he throws deep, he jumps up in the air like the 1960s USA Olympic skater Dick Button and performs the "double-toe-loop." And, whenever Mangum performs that uncanny feat, he under-throws the rock terribly.........and always gets picked off easily.

The thing about it is.........BYU doesn't have any QB talent at all and their playmakers were never wanted by many teams......

I cannot imagine BYU getting six wins.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 10, 2018 11:19 a.m.

@ Jell-O,

You speculate that we would ever be "in person?" We have ZERO in common, and I am way too busy.

I wish you well is all. Keep your chin up dear soul.

• CV Storm Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 11:09 a.m.

As far as Cougar Fans go, London_Josh is probably the most realistic. But I am afraid he has his Blue Goggles on again. There is no way that this team goes 7-5 or 8-4. The only sure win left on the schedule is New Mexico State. Wisconsin is going to give them a huge beatdown. McNeese State is currently 2-0 - Toss-up. Washington is a sure loss. Utah States quarterback had a terrible night the other night and they still scored 60-Loss. Hawaii is playing well and will be a loss. Northern Illinois-Tossup. Boise State will be another beat down. UMass-Tossup. NMS-Win. Utah...8 in a row, need I say more. So I am projecting 5-7, but 4-8 is probably more realistic. And that is if they switch quarterbacks and get the other coaching problems taken care of.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 10, 2018 9:05 a.m.

@Joshsy77,

Please look at BYU in a true light my friend. BYU is not a factor vs P5 teams. They just don't have the players, depth, coaches or nutrition to be talked about much. The Y was dominated by suspect, no identity CAL. The Bears kept rotating in fresh meat and wore BYU to a frazzle. You saw real talent/depth on the CAL squad.

I want you to be happy, but talk great ball like you always do about other teams, not BYU. You have some great Y competition coming.....NIU, USU and Hawaii will be great games! Cheers dear man! M.

• bemorefair MH, 00
    Sept. 10, 2018 8:55 a.m.

Real Ute - said
    "If BYU finishes 6-6, who will offer them a bowl game? That is maybe not possible, since the Y has no bowl affiliation this year. BYU doesn't travel well and have few fans show up, especially east of the Mississippi River."

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

hahahahahahahahahaha

I really needed that laugh. Thank you.

• Jello is Good ,
    Sept. 10, 2018 8:41 a.m.

@wahului - Stockton, CA
    Sept. 9, 2018 2:53 p.m.

"It appears that Tanner is at the top of his game, and he belongs in a lower division. (I credit that largely to the 2016 season, when Tanner's development was arrested in order to play Taysom at QB and prepare him for a Special Teams career in the NFL.) "

Are you kidding me? Let's get this straight. Mangum has done absolutely nothing in college football other than two Hail Mary passes and you wanted to start him over Hill? Hill has a .750 winning percentage and his QB rating almost double Mangums in games against P5's and we were going to sit him to "groom" an unproven player? We come 8 points from an undefeated season with Hill and then start Mangum the next year and have the worst year since the '60's?

Come back to reality.

• Jello is Good ,
    Sept. 10, 2018 8:32 a.m.

@Real Ute - Dallas, TX
    Sept. 9, 2018 9:42 a.m.

"@ Jell-O,

I hope you are enjoying BYU football in the 21st century! I so am, tickled crimson in fact.

Smile and enjoy, "brother!""

I see, not a man of your word. No surprise. If we were in person, this would be me again walking away.

• CougarOnTheProwl Murray, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 11:14 p.m.

My observations from watching the game at LES last night

BYU actually moved the ball fairly well to start the game, on 4 of their first 5 drives they moved into Cal territory but came away with 3 points. Frustrating to see them move the ball to around the cal 35 or inside the 35 only to see them stall and come away with nothing or just 3 points.

BYU had nearly a 2 to 1 TOP advantage and 193 to 124 yard advantage at halftime but only 3 points to show for it.

The drop by Collie was huge, after that it seemed BYU just went into a funk, they had several 3 and outs and Mangum started pressing a bit, which led to two bad decisions that resulted in INTs.

One of the biggest issues with BYUs offense right now is they just don't get many chunk plays, everything is short and that makes it difficult to consistently sustain drives .

The OL got worked in the 2nd half, no push in the run game and several breakdowns in pass pro.

The Defense played well enough to win, forcing 3 turnovers and even scoring on a fumble return for a TD. However, the lack of a pass rush is still very evident, not sure the 4-3 is really the best scheme fit for BYU, I liked the 3-4 much better.

• top of the world ,
    Sept. 9, 2018 7:23 p.m.

As of now, there are a bunch of near-certain future losses for this year. I include in that list the following: Wisconsin, Washington, Boise State, Utah and probably Utah State. In addition, losses are likely at U Mass, UNI and at home to Hawaii. The last one could be a win because Hawaii, traditionally, does not play well on the mainland. My best guess, UNLESS they get things straightened out, is 5 - 7, but right now I think 4 - 8 is very possible.

Unless there is a change in who's running the ship on the field, I don't see a bowl game this year. They turned their best qb (for our current situation) into a running back, and then decided to let him languish on the bench.

I will be out of the country next Saturday, but if I have TV in Alaska I'll be watching next weeks demolition in Wisconsin. I would love to eat a whole plate full of crow. I am a Y fan, but one can be a fan and still use reason and logic. It is what it is, and what it is at this time is not encouraging. I know the program will eventually turn around. Utah, Utah State, Washington, Miami, Notre Dame and many other programs managed to reverse the ship wreck. We can as well.

Go Cougs!

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Sept. 9, 2018 7:13 p.m.

I'm thinking about starting a "Mendenhall Please Return fan club".

• SIMPLICITY Denver, CO
    Sept. 9, 2018 7:11 p.m.

Byu-p looked great last week and was the better team. This week Cal was the better team. Byu did well to force several turnovers or it would have been a blowout.

Fans are validated in their calls for a QB change. Mangum is capable division 1 QB, but he never was and never will be a playmaker. His deep ball is a 50-50 ball at best and he was little to no mobility. If Byu-p continues to play mid to top tier teams they must have a Jim McMahon or Steve Young at QB to make up for their overall lack of team talent.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Sept. 9, 2018 6:45 p.m.

Let's be real people - the next 3 games have 2 losses and a win.

The first 2 games were games that BYU fans called winnable and critics (tons in here today) said that we'd lose both and enter the regular season 1-4, so it will be 2-3 when we never were going to be better than 3-2. We split the odds, byu won a winnable p5 and lost winnable one.

Lot of season left.

I'm sticking with 7 wins.

BYU would always be invited to a bowl game, I get the intent of suggesting otherwise but really it's just silly, if BYU wins 6 they go bowling.

For the QB, let's hope to see Zack twice and Jaren once in the next 3 games, but Tanner needs to start, the others need to be eased into these games.

• ImABeliever Centerville, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 6:01 p.m.

I was at the BYU - Cal game last night. I haven't been to a BYU game in 8 years. I grew up watching a little bit of Cal as a kid being from No. California. Am more of a Stanford Cardinal fan. I am 5-10, 195 lbs. the seats were jammed in there, i was crammed. I was very uncomfortable. I am as big as some of those players. For those of us who played high school football, saying first down every first down and stomping your feet is ridiculous. Very difficult to focus at that Lavell Edwards stadium, being around people who yell things that have no idea what they are talking about as they don't know football.
    Last night reminded me of why I don't like collegiate sports. The lack of skill/talent is huge. Serious, BYU throwing lateral passes to the sidelines of many an occasion? Whoever calls the plays for BYU is clueless. the defense collapses real fast on an offense that throws the football laterally. Here is a clue BYU, throw the football down the field {forward} NOT laterally. In the future I will watch all sports on television. Signed by a guy who's high school football team beat Aaron Rodgers of the G.B. Packers when he played high school football twice.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Sept. 9, 2018 3:51 p.m.

As bad as BYU was last night, the Utes thumping their chests is pretty funny.

I'd take the offense of BYU over utah's offense anyday and twice in November.

Utah has a great defense, on offense there are two players to watch and against inferior competition it's been ugly.

BYU hasn't had consistency on offense, but at times it's been really good.

Both teams have major issues, and while Utah fans pound their chest about the defense, their team has had to come from behind in both games.

It's not clicking for either team right now, Utah fans need to cool their rhetoric, it's a bit rediculous.

• top of the world ,
    Sept. 9, 2018 3:47 p.m.

I'm disappointed in the outcome of a game that was certainly winnable. That was another one that I can refer to as one that got away. Now into the furnace.

My weekly in-state rankings of the big three:
    First by a comfortable margin...Utah State.
    Second by a whopping margin over number three...Utah.
    Third and not even in the running...BYU.

There's quite a number of questions I have regarding why the coaching staff allowed things to continue as they did as far as who was on the field. Even a little improvement in the execution of the offense would have likely netted a W and we would be 2 - 0. Not sure we're going to recover from this one, with Wisconsin, Washington, Utah State, Boise and Utah yet to be dealt with. And now I think I can throw Hawaii into that bunch.

We'll see. I'll keep hoping and rooting.

The volleyball and soccer and cross-country teams are looking pretty good.

• wahului Stockton, CA
    Sept. 9, 2018 2:53 p.m.

No, this is not last year's team; far from it. What an idiotic inference. That said, I find the tendency for near lackadaisical attitude of this team disturbing. They seem capable of focus and preparation for a game, but not naturally inclined; clearly were not prepared for Cal. It appears that Tanner is at the top of his game, and he belongs in a lower division. (I credit that largely to the 2016 season, when Tanner's development was arrested in order to play Taysom at QB and prepare him for a Special Teams career in the NFL.) Cal found a way to effectively use two talented QB's. Cal's HC outcoached Kalani. Cal's staff outcoached BYU's. Cal's staff also out-adjusted during the game and out-utilized the talents of their players. BYU looked confused and frustrated after about the first 8 minutes or so. Where was Jeff Grimes? Didn't see him on camera all night...was Kalani calling plays? "Lots of things to correct"...now get serious and do it. I want to believe. MAKE IT HAPPEN, COUGARS!!!

• mightymite , 00
    Sept. 9, 2018 1:56 p.m.

Yah. let throw the kid in there and let him implode as well? The freshmen is an average D1 talent and if you ruin him this year well.... has BYU not learned their lesson with pushing these kids too soon,,, and those kids had much better talent then the current freshmen. Hold OFF....

• Hugh G. Hayter Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 1:54 p.m.

The sky isn't falling . . . yet.

A multiple choice exam of failures:

a. Terrible (again) O-line
    b. Dropped passes
    c. QB who throws more interceptions than touchdowns
    d. All of the above

Which of the above can be fixed in a season?
    Sooner or later this is all going to be Sitake's responsibility.

• owesley Mapleton, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 1:16 p.m.

I was so confused yesterday by 5. North Carolina was beaten into the turf by Eastern Carolina?? Say what?? Cal obviously, I said, wasn’t that good or at least on the level of Eastern Carolina. Then there was the game in Houston.

Oh no! Are you kidding me? Houston destroyed Arizona. Then I’m more confused. Like, what kind of game is it going to be? The Cal team that beat up on a horrible NC team? Or the BYU team that forced it’s will on the line even against a week PAC 10+2 team?

Then I walked into the stadium and watched the BYU players warming up. Nothing. Dead. Listless. Fever less. Trepid. Uncertain. I knew then and said it to those near me. This game is over before kick-off. This was not the team that ran into Tucson. This was not the team that dominated the lines in Arizona. I almost got up and left 30 minutes before kick.

But I didn’t. I finally got my wife to go to a game.

Well, I guess 1 out of 6 is better than none.

Expect 40,000 fans in two weeks. You know, similar to what the u does for a big game.

Can’t understand the Collie drop. Disgusting. But then, can’t understand 7 other drops either.

• EightOhOne St. George, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 12:28 p.m.

That little gimmick Sitake pulled before the half was embarrassing!! Just kneel it and take it into the locker room like a somewhat respectable program. Being reduced to attempting random trick plays reeks of desperation. It was like watching the movie Little Giants LOL!!

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 12:23 p.m.

One word for this loss, "Magnum!" If he is the best BYU has, it's going to be a repeat of next year. Bad throws in the clutch, no command of the offense, seemed lost (2 time outs in the first Quarter play), telegraphed passes, focused in on one receiver, ZERO mobility. Time to realize he is not the guy and put someone else in at QB.

• Samwise Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 11:48 a.m.

All this game showed is that BYU is still not great. But it's obvious that they are still much improved since last year. Did anybody really expect them to go from being horrible to being great? BYU football may still have a way to go, but it's certainly headed in the right direction again at least. Go Cougars!

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    Sept. 9, 2018 11:40 a.m.

After last night Cougar fans cannot seriously be looking forward to USU, Boise State, Hawaii, Utah (bad as they are), or particularly NIU!?!?

Hard for anyone (except the in-house shills on BYU-SN) to see much more than 5 wins this year.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 9, 2018 11:14 a.m.

@ TexinUtah,

• Stringer Bell Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 11:10 a.m.

The Offense of the Century certainly sputtered last night against one of the weaker Pac-12 teams, despite being handed many gifts that they were unable to capitalize on. Anyway, it looks like you won't have to worry about Grimes leaving next year for a head coaching job.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 9, 2018 11:01 a.m.

BYU faces teams like USU, NIU and Hawaii at home. Now, how many of those teams won't beat BYU? USU and NIU are on a bye week before coming to Provo and Hawaii's QB Cole McDonald and his playmakers are electric. BYU played two very suspect P5 teams and it wasn't good.

• InMyOpinion Federal Way, WA
    Sept. 9, 2018 10:48 a.m.

The offense didn't move at all in the 3rd down situations. Everytime a pass was made, it was either thrown to just before or on the scrimmage line. Shouldn't the ball be thrown past the first down marker or at least 5 yards past the scrimmage line? It was similar to last year showing a lack of yardage. The offense line is huge. No excuse for lack of yardage. The play calls needs to change. It was surprisingly similar to last year way of play calling. Want to see the play calls changed where more yards would occur on each play. Last week against Arizona, the play calls were good and 3rd downs made. It was a difference in winning that game. Fix the play calling in the game! Mangum can't play well with those kind of play calls. I think they should put in the other quarterback. Do it for the game wins, not for loyalty where a truly good quarterback wins the games. If play calls don't change, count on this year to be lackluster like last year.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 9, 2018 10:34 a.m.

I know Y fans are calling for Zach Wilson to play QB, but that won't matter and would get worse. He has never faced real speed, has no playmakers and will be overwhelmed instantaneously. I cannot remember the last time that BYU threw a TD pass against a P5 team that was playing man coverage. Maybe John Beck did over a decade ago.....maybe?

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Sept. 9, 2018 10:21 a.m.

@azute

"The real question is, can byu-p beat McNeese St. @ home?..."

*************

Make sure you come back to these boards after your team starts playing games against opponents that are not in the Big Sky or the MAC... The team that utah struggled with yesterday is 0-2... They lost to Iowa 33-7 last week and were within 4 points of the utes till late in the game yesterday.

• Oh Really? Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 10:19 a.m.

I watched the BYU-SMU Holiday Bowl game the other day. Better receivers, better QB, better running back, better O line than this team. And much, much, much better offensive design and play calling.

• poyman Lincoln City, OR
    Sept. 9, 2018 10:09 a.m.

Both our OL and DL were bad last night. Cal shoved them all over the field. Mangum was under a ton of pressure and we didn't lay a glove on their QB... In fact, they had all night to find receivers making mediocre QBs look like college all stars. Though our D came up with big plays they also missed a ton of tackles (over-running them, not wrapping them up, etc.). And I don't think that I have ever seen worse pass defense (Greene and Wilcox were horrible).

Our receivers also had a bad night, they couldn't get open... not fast enough and once they ran their routes they never broke back to the QB to help Mangum out.They just kind of stood there . I have seen better hands on a clock than what I saw from Micah last night. Tanner can't both throw and catch... The receivers got to help him out a little. If you recorded the game, watch it and see if I'm not right. It was totally frustrated.

In my book the only player that had a good game was Ghanwoloku. Mangum didn't have his best outing but this was a team loss. Everyone deserves ribbons of shame.

The coaches on both the D and the O side of the field had a poor game plan and they simply did not have our team prepared. Sad but True.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 9, 2018 10:06 a.m.

I love BYU! Thanks for all U do!

• Oh Really? Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 10:05 a.m.

Mangum threw two passes While Falling Down.

No courage.

Sure, he can win the starting job while wearing a green jersey in practice with no threat of being hit, but if he can’t stand in a take a hit, he should never see the field again. Ever.

Squally is fine against inferior talent, but not equal talent. He can run north and south, but cannot Love more than 6 inches east or west.

The O line has a hard time blocking when outnumbered. Everyone does. Teams will load up the box and dare BYU to pass, which they can’t.

Very, very little talent at receiver. Can’t get open, can’t catch, and useless on jet sweeps.

Dial up some variety and pressure in defense, please.

• TexInUT Midvale, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 9:57 a.m.

As I said before the start of the season, BYU is a .500 team and I'm sticking to that prediction. It was disappointing to watch the offense in general last night: the line was weak, the QBing wasn't the best and the receivers should have caught several balls that were dropped. The run game, to say in the least, needs to step up a bit more when the passing game is lacking.

The defense looked good and did the best they could. In the end, the offense just could not capitalize. I'm not calling for a QB change yet, but Mangum has to have a better week next week. You can lump the rest of the offense in with him as well. I'm not expecting a win against Wisconsin, but an average to good showing would be nice.

6-6 and a low-level bowl game is still doable, if the offense gets it together.

• zipadeedoodah Lehi, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 9:58 a.m.

Well... I wouldn't go so far as to say Tanner was as bad as last year. I do think he is doing better than he did. He had a few great passes that were just not caught, including, for the first time in years a long bomb that was exactly on the mark. That said, I think he is not the right QB to lead the team. He is better... but still too slow... in mind and body.

I suggest Sitake and company seriously consider allowing another man to take the snap. I don't understand the mentality of staying with QB out of loyalty to some senior. I have seen that too many times at BYU. Do what is best for the team, not because you like a guy.

At least you could do as Cal did and move another QB in now and then. I don't think you have a lot to lose. Moreover, I think you want to groom another man to take the helm... for future years if nothing else.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 9, 2018 9:45 a.m.

Time to go with the kid at QB. Mangum has a great arm and is a great guy, but he's not a winning QB. He is immobile and predictable. But where was the running game? A couple of jet sweeps gained yards, but most of the running plays were Squally up the middle (of course, I'm probably wrong about this ... just my memory from the stands).

But sad to say, it is time to put the kid QB in the game. Sure it will be a loss at Wisconsin, but BYU would not beat Wisconsin with Ty Detmer himself at QB. Maybe a healthy Taysom Hill, but not Tanner.

Again I ask, where is Coach Grimes? No interviews with the OC? Strange.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 9:43 a.m.

Well...

I got nothing to say. Not like my opinion will replace Mangum or magically improve our talent. Buckle up Y fans.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 9, 2018 9:42 a.m.

@ Jell-O,

Smile and enjoy, "brother!"

• mdp Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 9:36 a.m.

So far, it looks like BYU belongs in the PAC12, and Utah competetive in the Big Sky and MAC

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 9:22 a.m.

It isn’t a coaching problem. It’s a talent problem. When everyone was saying last week we are back. You can’t be back with the same players at the skill positions. I was really surprised that they didn’t give the young QB at least a try. Why try to redshirt him. George Allen, the future is now.

• 13Bpatriot SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 9:16 a.m.

Are we finally seeing the long-term results of independency and BYU's inability to really recruit? Are the chickens finally coming home to roost?
    Sure, people can get on Mangum, can get on the O line, can get on receivers for dropping passes, etc. but when it comes down to it, if the same issues keep surfacing year after year independent of individual players and coaches then the source of the problems must be something deeper and built-in. Detmer is gone; yet we're starting to see the same offense! Can't blame Detmer now!
    And what would be the source of BYU having to settle with lack luster players?

• cyruszuo LAKE FOREST, CA
    Sept. 9, 2018 9:13 a.m.

Watching this game was like watching a beached whale thrashing around on the sea shore.

I'm a BYU fan, but they are painful to watch, and I'm not going to waste the time the good Lord gave me on this Earth to watch.

New head coach needed! Even with Hill and Williams Sitake could barely win. That is a coaching issue pure and simple.

• Caddis Terry, MT
    Sept. 9, 2018 9:03 a.m.

Concerning Mangum, he threw some great balls. Sometimes to his third option. Sometimes little almost sidearm flings when he had to. He also threw a few bad ones. He has a good arm.
    Where he isn’t going to hurt a defense is with his legs. He rolled out nicely, but at times, the could have gone upfield and he doesn’t do that. Maybe by design, I don’t know.
    Everyone says rotating qb’s is a mistake. I think we need to do that.

• Jello is Good ,
    Sept. 9, 2018 8:58 a.m.

Ok, I gave Mangum a chance and he showed that he is the same ineffective QB he has always been. I predict unless he has a great game against Wisconsin, we see Wilson start against McNeese State. Please, please, please let him start. I can’t do another year of mediocre to poor quarterback p,ay for another year.

At least my Terps are 2-0.

• Red Corvette St George, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 8:45 a.m.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda all over again.

• lars44 draper, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 8:44 a.m.

Mangum had no one to throw to. Cal D coverage was superb. BYU needs faster receivers.

• Silver Stingray St George, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 8:33 a.m.

Looks like another year of excuses coming straight ahead!

• Flipphone Sandy, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 8:27 a.m.

Just yesterday, a BYU fan was stating that this BYU Team was so deep and talented that he was predicting a National Championship after beating Arizona State, which lost last night to Huston.

• flatlander Omaha, NE
    Sept. 9, 2018 7:58 a.m.

After watching Arizona get throttled it turns out last week’s win was not as big as the sports writers touted and this week’s loss puts the Y right back into the middle of the mediocre teams

• cowbird Quitman, TX
    Sept. 9, 2018 7:54 a.m.

Just came off watching Texas A&M rally against Crimson to witness BYU struggle just to stay in a game. When teams can't provide protection, open running lanes, and receivers can't uncover then it become a field of doom especially when the quarterback athleticism can't compensate. I'm very sorry for Tanner but it appears the LSU licking he took last year, the one when his eyes were as large as softballs, still haunts his mind. I'm real sorry for him and the team but there will be few wins in the future with Tanner at quarterback.

• Jello is Good ,
    Sept. 9, 2018 7:46 a.m.

Mangum is back to last year’s Mangum. He plays next week, but barring a miracle game, Wilson makes his debut against McNeese State.

• Pipes Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 7:44 a.m.

Take home messages from this game

1. Offense is vanilla. Very predictable.
    2. Tanner Mangum is back to his old ways. More interceptions thrown than TDs
    3. Defense is unable to get a sack. No pass rush. Very few blitzs or stunts. Nothing creative.
    4. Jeff Grimes is as predictable as Robert Anae and unable to call a good play for 4th down.
    5. Arizona is a very bad team

This year looks a lot like last year. The big question is who will be head coach next year?

• at long last. . . Kirksville , MO
    Sept. 9, 2018 7:43 a.m.

Well, the only thing that seems assured this year is that byu has risen out of the 'worst ten' football team and has been replaced by Arizona. I am looking forward to the Wisconsin game a lot.

Sitake is complimentary of the Cal Bears instead of saying the cougars beat themselves, or the better team didn't win. What sort of a byu coach says that sort of thing? Unlike previous coaches, he is a class act.

• RedRockUte St George, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 7:22 a.m.

Cheer up Cougar fans, Northern Illinois will be coming to town later. That ought to be a gimme, don't you think?

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    Sept. 9, 2018 7:14 a.m.

No mention of the two blunders by officials. It reminded me of the PAC10 (12) officials. A 26 yard reception with a foot on the line (it seemed to at least warrant a replay), and a personal foul for 15 yards when there was no contact at all by the BYU player. How do offiials get away with such negligence? Sitake should have at least challenged the pass play. The personal foul was just bad by the official.

Were these from the PAC12?

Pretty good game. The best team won. But it was win-able by the Cougars, even with the dropped passes and poor passes. Grimes did lousy at establishing the run game. Use your strengths.

• Moldy2123 Payson, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 7:11 a.m.

There is just no way Tanner Mangum should be the starting QB. Can read him like a book. They continue to start him, it's going to be a repeat of last year. I also have to question Grimes play calling, does he just look at his play card and guess what to play? Didn't even come close to calling plays that work against Cals weakest part of there D.

• CDM1525 West Point, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 6:49 a.m.

In the words of Dennis Green “They (byu) are what we thought they were!” I really thought byu had turned the corner but sadly enough last night was reflective of what we saw last year.

• Aggielove Caldwell, ID
    Sept. 9, 2018 5:48 a.m.

Sorry to say it, but your QB needs replaced. By who though? Your RB was struggling bad.
    The idahostatesman wrote a article this week. The headline said the the football player that put Idaho on the map. It was shocking. Mangum is about 25th on that list. BYU is better. Ty needed gone. But they will be around. .500 team this year.

• Jefferson, Thomas Bluffdale, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 5:30 a.m.

Tsk tsk tsk. Same old, same old. One quarter in eight, does not a good QB make. Only question that remains is how long will it take to find out if there is a backup QB ready and capable of doing any better. Last season there wasn’t even one. And it was a LONG season.

• CV Storm Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 5:11 a.m.

If the Coug faithful saw the earlier Houston-Arizona score they had to have a premonition of what was to come. After seeing both games, the Cougs are looking down the barrel of a 4-8 season. Seems like the Cougs reverted to last year, lack of discipline, killer penalties, and plenty of turn overs.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Sept. 9, 2018 2:04 a.m.

No doubt BYU gets spanked next week.

I'm disappointed in a few things,

1 - when we had momentum we paused and switched things up

2 - we went soft in the 3rd

3 - too many dropped passes

4 - defenders seemed to stand on the 1st down line, if they stepped up 3 feet it might have been a different game

5 - I hate to be that guy - some very questionable calls, the punt recovery was mind blowing, in my view (blue goggles) Anderson got that clean after it hit the cal player. A few PIs missed against cal and a late hit where I don't think they even connected. I hate feeling like the officials made enough mistakes to influence the game - but I do in this case.

That being said, calling this a return of 2017 is a bit over the top it was projected to be a close game, it was, some had BYU winning, some didn't - in 2017 BYU wasn't competitive with P5 programs, in 2018 we clearly are. I don't like this chicken little reaction to a loss, it was a loss, next week will be one too, then a win, then a loss, then who knows.

Lots of football left to play!

• Gravedigger72 Draper, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 1:42 a.m.

For whatever reason, Mangum doesn't seem like he is in command out there on the field, He's a Major when he needs to be a General. The offensive line didn't do him any favors either. They have more talent than what they showed tonight. On the other hand, Cal exploited any weaknesses BYU showed.

• Morgan Duel Taylorsville, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 1:36 a.m.

You look up a number of these teams and the first few games are against teams that play in lower divisions. Utah played Weber, Cal vs Idaho, Wisc. Vs New Mexico, etc. what they are doing is finding their holes while still winning and gaining as well. BYU plays the big boys right out of the chute and finding their holes and if lucky holding the game close. Maybe this policy is why the had a bad year last year and are starting the same this year.

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 1:26 a.m.

There were times things looked hopeful, but they never got a good rhythm. I don't think it was that Cal was that great thought they were the better team on the field, it's just that BYU made come critical mistakes at the wrong times that really hurt the team. They just don't look like a really disciplined team. Moments of brilliance mixed in with many more times plays just didn't develop. Not sure if it is coaching, the players or both. Unfortunately next week will not tell much as it will be a monumental collapse if Wisconsin doesn't had BYU their second loss.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 1:14 a.m.

Same ole BYU kittens. I still predict a 4 win year again. BYU belongs in 1AA ....or just drop out of the NCAA.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Sept. 9, 2018 1:05 a.m.

BYU could have won this game if the offense could capitalize on just one of the 4 turnover opportunities handed to them. O-line getting manhandled the 2nd half, crucial dropped passes, panicky QB, and questionable play calling made this offense look eerily familiar to last year’s train wreck.

Defense gave us a chance to win this thing with turnovers, but they also showed mental lapses in past coverage and an utter inability to corral their QB’s running.

I’m so disappointed. This really looked like last year’s team.

• 1utah_man! Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 12:55 a.m.

Cougar Nation always dumps unrealistic expectations on the coaches and players. This includes BYU media writers and broadcasters. Sad really. I feel badly for the players. BYU beats Arizona, a program than is in shambles and basically starting over and the war cry from BYU supporters and media is "BYU football is back." Really?
    "This is the year" we will run the table, play a New Years Six, beat Utah, play in the final four, surfaces every August and September.
    Cougar Nation sets up its players for dissapontment every year. Unfair to these student athletes.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 12:42 a.m.

We have been fed a long line of garbage about how good BYU's defensive backfield was supposed to be, and I was actually buying in to it, until tonight. Either last week's game was a fluke, or BYU was still celebrating, and forgot to prepare for this game. And to think that this game was supposed to be the most winnable of the first four games! I am really sorry to sound so negative, but last week's high just got deflated big time. I sure hope the rest of the season isn't like this!

• Deanvrtc Vancouver, WA
    Sept. 9, 2018 12:37 a.m.

The play calling , QB efficiatcy, and offensive line play was much worse than last week. The offense in sum looked like last years disaster. Defense looks pretty good, plus three turnovers, and were playing well except for the corners. Mangum is not the leader this team needs. It really is time for a change. Players/fans/and probably coaches have lost confidence in his ability to complete mid range passes on a regular basis. Long passes are a huge gamble with him because he throws and hopes. Nice man...but not a great QB.q

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 9, 2018 12:29 a.m.

The real question is, can byu-p beat McNeese St. @ home?

I’m not entirely certain about it.

Tonight—

D got absolutely worked by a poor O.

“Vaunted” 3 plays Grimes O produced merely 11 points, 8 of which came during desperation time @ end-of-game.

byu-p won’t beat another P5 opponent & might very well lose to the entire trio of NIU/usu/UH.....Not to mention UMASS.

Thank goodness NMSU is on the schedule!

Go Utes!

• LadyMoon Crestucky, FL
    Sept. 9, 2018 12:19 a.m.

Didn’t take this BYU squad long to drop to oblivion, did it?
    Back to the ol’ drawing board!

• IQ92 hi, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 12:17 a.m.

Detmer vindication.

• Caddis Terry, MT
    Sept. 9, 2018 12:15 a.m.

Cal ran smarter, cleaner, more patiently, and it seemed hard to get a clean stop, with 2 or 3 notable exceptions. Things just didn’t click. BYU is not a top 30 team but as a fan, you gotta hang in there and hope to see improvement.
    It seemed as though the game was not as close as the final score. Congrats Cal.
    To me, I have thought that a bowl game would be a good measure of success. That can still happen. So, here is to that possibility!

• SeattleAggie Maple Valley, WA
    Sept. 9, 2018 12:08 a.m.

Not a cougar fan, but that offense is terrible. If they leave Mangum at qb, gonna be a long year. See ya on 10/5

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Sept. 9, 2018 12:05 a.m.

BYU is better than they were last year so but so is Cal. Great game though.

• BleedingBlue Provo, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 12:06 a.m.

Byu’s Defense and rushing offense played fairly well. Unfortunately, the king of 3 & Out combined with another game losing inception lost the game. I said it before, unless the coaching staffs rights this damaged team today with a competent quarterback who can actually complete drives, the season is over. Watching Airizona’s dismal performance against Huston, well looks like we a repeating the 2017 season. Cal is a very weak PAC 12 team, with Mangum at the helm BYU showed it is even weaker.