If being nice makes us happier, why don't more people do nice things?

• Granny Barton Woods Cross, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 7:40 a.m.

If you expect a "thank you" for the good you do, then you are doing it for the wrong reason. Be happy to help someone just because it is the right thing to do and because you are able to do it. Judging others because the haven't learned to thank others will only belittle your good service. Just let it go and you will be happier.

• Astoria Jim Mamaroneck, NY
    Sept. 9, 2018 9:01 a.m.

When your wife is six months pregnant with your first child and you've just lost your job, darn right you're scared.
    At the time an older employee of a competitor, whom I hardly knew, took me out to lunch and gave me a pep talk...and paid for a much better lunch than I would have bought at that time.
    I sent him a sincere thank you note, and he was pleasantly surprised: apparently he had done this for other young people, and I was the first one to ever send him a thank you note!
    I got a good job before my child was born, and we continued to communicate for years afterward. And when he passed, I sent a heartfelt note to his (older than me) children, which they said they cherished.
    It's not that difficult: Do nice things for others. And say thank you when they do them for you.

• B-Real2 Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 12:51 p.m.

More of this 😃👊

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 9:47 a.m.

Thank you so much for all the non-political, non-partisan, non-liberal-bashing comments on this valuable article!

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    Sept. 8, 2018 9:08 a.m.

I opened a door for a lady and jokingly said, "My first Act of chivalry this day."
    She fires back, "Don't make it your last one."

Changed a flat tire for a couple on a lonely road and did not hear a thank you or even get eye contact.

Put twenty dollars of fuel in a man's truck, even though he was wearing a Trump shirt, and never got a thank you.

Cleaned up the conservative neighbor's backyard filled with dog and pet pig feces when I should have called the health department and didn't get a thank you (ruined a nice pair of Nikes).

A simple thank you or a smile would be nice.

• bigfred San Angelo, TX
    Sept. 8, 2018 7:49 a.m.

People choose to be happy, sad, or irritated. If you are "offended" by something, do not engage in it.

Liberals do not like guns, they want to remove them. Conservatives just do not buy one. Liberals do not like a radio talk show, they want to silence it. Conservatives flip the channel. Liberals do not like a specific brand of clothing, food, etc., they want it banned. Conservatives allow them the right to engage in lawful commerce.

Society has turned away from good in life, and seeking things that are uplifting and praiseworthy, to trying to be hurt at any little comment or detail. They choose to be "mad at the world", instead of seeing good in people. You read it here daily on the comments section. You here it on the "dark Side" newscasts. So much anger, exactly what satan desires. So, to coin a phrase from the movie Stripes, "Lighten up, Francis!!"

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Sept. 8, 2018 7:32 a.m.

I work in an organization where a lot of people expect others to work because it is their job. I go around and I say thank you a lot. At one time, I sent a thank you email to the stationary guy with a cc to his boss, where I told him how important his job was.

The stationary guy started personally delivering office supplies to my office as a personal favor to me.

Another time i was talking to a man at a conference and the waiter brought a plate of hors douovres to me. I took one and then looked the waiter in the eye and said "thank you for this. it is really good." A few minutes later he came by with a full plate and offered some to me. The man I was talking to reached for an hors doeuvre and the waiter pulled the plate away from him and presented the plate to me to give me the first pick.

If you dont like your work environment, go and change it by expressing gratitude.

• Keen American Fork, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 10:34 p.m.

Years ago, after attending a seminar to write a thank you letter to a loved one, I typed up various memories and thank you notes for my mother. I cut them up, one by one, and then stuffed them in a jar for my mother to read one memory / thank you per day.

Well, to my surprise my mother loved the memories and thank you notes, Mom didn't wait to read one note per day--in one sitting, she read every note.

Sadly, my sweet mother died two years ago during the same week I had open heart surgery.

So glad I did followed the advice of the seminar presenters and, like this article states, I didn't realize how those notes would be so well received.