12 quotes and videos of Barack Obama’s speech today on voting, Trump, Republicans and freedom of the press

• P5Proud Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 11, 2018 1:35 p.m.

I disagreed with him many times, but like Mr. McCain said--he is a good American and his presidency was a sign that, at our best--we are much more than the world see us as right now. This man is light years ahead of our current President in terms of dignity, intelligence, concern for those less fortunate than himself and the ability to bring people together and to take pride in themselves and their nation. I felt much better about being an American when Barack Obama was our President.

• Thomas Jefferson Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 12:17 p.m.

What a huge difference it is. After having an intelligent and respectful president going to this nationalist/populist, it will be a great day if/when trump goes to prison.

• Lib on Planet Zion Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 10:17 a.m.

dawgs-

“Obviously you haven't seen my criticisms of the GOP”.

You’re correct I haven’t! Certain you “call it how you see it” and that’s the frightening part. What yourself and faction believe is legitimate and reality based.

“I have never questioned Obama's origin of birth (never really cared)”.

Again. You’re fooling no one but yourself comrade. You’ve made/inferred countless comments regarding Obama’s origin of birth.

“Trump won a lot of votes playing on the divisive nature of the country. Period”.

He won votes preying upon the low information demographic and playing the “family values” card. As well as receiving assistance from a hostile foreign government. Period!

“I'm almost done with my PhD...”.

See comment..”and, thankfully, I never required one of your enabling crying closets”.

“And I "should know better" than to question a leftist campus culture?

Continued Faux News/Infowars rhetoric. Define and explain in detail exactly what this is and its direct impact on you.

“I guess I should march lockstep with those who embrace identity politics...”

What were you saying again regarding assumptions and prejudices comrade? Country before party! You’re welcome.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 9:47 p.m.

Lib on a Planet:

Obviously you haven't seen my criticisms of the GOP and Trump. I call it how I see it, but I am conservative (you do realize that one can be both Conservative and Independent right?).

I have never questioned Obama's origin of birth (never really cared)...I'd ask you to provide evidence but little point in that when there is none, but nice try.

Trump won a lot of votes playing on the divisive nature of the country. Period. Not recognizing the role the divisive climate had on their failure is just willful ignorance for the liberal establishment.

"Leftist" absolutely sounds Independent. Obviously you haven't listened to Independent voices, but they also use terms like "alt-right" if it makes you feel better. It sounds like you're confusing Independent with fence-sitter/pacifist.

I'm almost done with my PhD...not sure why you're talking about admissions. And I "should know better" than to question a leftist campus culture? I guess I should march lockstep with those who embrace identity politics over individual accountability and industry? Sorry- that (I) on my registration card didn't stamp out my conservative values, much to your obvious chagrin comrade.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 4:45 p.m.

Lib on a Planet Somewhere:

Apparently you haven't seen any of my posts criticizing the GOP/Trump. I've also never questioned Obama's origin of birth (never really cared). You're going to have to provide some actual evidence on that claim instead of the hypocritical stereotyping (again).

Trump used divisive ammunition that the Obama establishment provided him. Period. It baffles me everyone else but the DNC can see this clearly. The DNC alienating Bernie fans didn't help them either. But don't examine the real reasons HRC lost. Bury your heads in the sand...again.

"Leftist" sounds very Independent. Apparently you don't pay much attention to Independent views or voices. I try and make clear distinctions between real liberals and "leftists" just like I make distinctions between real conservatives and the "alt-right".

"If the above is factual you should most definitely know better."

Why? Because I don't play along with the ultra-liberal campus narrative? You are aware that one can be both a Conservative and an Independent, as explained above, right? Do Dems even know how Independent voters think anymore? I think Dems still equate Independents to fence-sitters.

• Liberal On Planet Zion SLC, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 3:18 p.m.

Dawgs -

So because I criticize Obama that makes me part of the Trump crowd?

You’re fooling no one but yourself comrade. You’ve defended Trump and the indefensible countless times on this forum and questioned Obama’s origin of birth as well!

“Do you think Trump would have won had our nation not been so divided after Obama”?

Nonsense. Trump lost the popular vote by nearly 3 million and obviously won with the assistance of a hostile, foreign government.

“Maybe you should examine your own bigotry toward those you quote (like me) and the "low information" stereotypes and prejudices you leftists like to peddle”.

If it quacks like a duck comrade! “Leftists” doesn’t sound very “Independent” do me. Try again.

“And FWIW, I have a Masters and will have a PhD in a little more than a year (and, thankfully, I never required one of your enabling crying closets)”.

Due to the fact you didn’t meet the admittance requirements. Can nearly taste the bitterness via your post. Once again not the best example of an “Independent” voice. Furthermore. If the above is factual you should most definitely know better. Country before party! You’re welcome.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 2:21 p.m.

Lib on Some Planet:
    "Deep yawn..The GED educated, low information...once again demonstrate ongoing ignorance by peddling conspiracy theories, regurgitating flat out lies and displaying blatant racism."

So because I criticize Obama that makes me part of the Trump crowd? I'm a proud Independent who doesn't need my party to teach me the difference between propaganda and facts. Do you think Trump would have won had our nation not been so divided after Obama? He fed off that division, he didn't create it. It seems the liberal establishment are the only ones who haven't figured that out.

Maybe you should examine your own bigotry toward those you quote (like me) and the "low information" stereotypes and prejudices you leftists like to peddle. Double standard indeed...you can stereotype Trump supporters but if they stereotype anyone, they are bigots, right "comrade"? Typical.

And FWIW, I have a Masters and will have a PhD in a little more than a year (and, thankfully, I never required one of your enabling crying closets). Also, just because Rachel Maddow says something is a lie, doesn't make it so. See, it's not nice when people make assumptions and form prejudices about you is it?

• Miguel1 Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 10, 2018 2:15 p.m.

It is great to see President Obama back on the political stage. It is difficult to watch a racist like trump take destructive action against the justice system,economy(Yes the economy), alienate allies,and empower racists all over the country.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 1:22 p.m.

@one old man
    "We are learning now that a high school student was removed from the background crowd at trump's Missoula "rally" because his facial expressions .......""
    Nice spin: but you forgot to mention that the student was wearing the Democratic Socialists emblem and making goofy faces. He also admitted later trying to get Trump to sign a copy of the "Communist Manifesto," which was disguised as Trump's book. (He failed at that)

@ECR

"I'm trying to follow the logic of this statement. Racial discord has always been about whites mistreating, in so many ways, those of a different race."

Yes whites can be racist - but your assumption that only whites can be racist - is racist (see Harvard admissions).
    Who do you think sold the slaves to America originally? Who ended slavery? Who made their career through identity politics - dividing and separating people based upon physical character traits? Who sent "racialists" to calm race conflicts - who then inflamed and exploited them?

Exploiting arguments of inherent white guilt may provide leftists with sustenance, and whites should feel guilty when guilty; but as a political pathology, it is a severely flawed and racist path.

• Lib on Planet Zion Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 11:31 a.m.

Vanceone-
    “while all comments allowed are worshippers of Obama. Obama also apparently approved and ordered the FBI to spy on his political opponents. Nixon only covered it up after the fact”.

Dawgs-
    “very slow to any action that would affect real harmony”

Boyd-
    “He was a divisive president from the moment he took office”.

Worf-
    “Failures are blamed on Bush and success are taken from Trump”.

O-
    “Is the king of "resentment, division and paranoia" politics”.

Mick-
    “created the worst healthcare plan in history. Never passed a budget. Gave billions of dollars to Iran”.

Bergeron-
    “I think what really irks Obama is that Trump did for the economy in one year what he couldn't do in 8”.

David -
    “stoked racial tensions, elevating them to new heights during his administration”.

Deep yawn..The GED educated, low information, extremist, enabling faction once again demonstrate ongoing ignorance by peddling conspiracy theories, regurgitating flat out lies and displaying blatant racism. Double standard anyone? Besides approval ratings. Your Supreme Leader wishes for a quarter of President Obama’s intelligence, integrity and class. Country before party comrades! #Blue Tsunami! 🌊

• Liberal On Planet Zion SLC, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 11:22 a.m.

Vanceone-

Dawgs-
    “very slow to any action that would affect real harmony”

Boyd-
    “He was a divisive president from the moment he took office”.

Worf-
    “Failures are blamed on Bush and success are taken from Trump”.

O-
    “Is the king of "resentment, division and paranoia" politics”.

Mick-

Bergeron-

David -

• Edmunds Tucker St. George, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 8:33 p.m.

The column left out these choice quotes - Obama ''You go into these small towns in Pennsylvania and, like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them. Then they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy ''
    or
    ''If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.''

• David Centerville, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 8:11 p.m.

Obama stoked racial tensions, elevating them to new heights during his administration. He used race to advance his agenda to transform America. Obama made things worse, not better, and had his own corruption and deceipt while in office. He just speaks better than Trump, and appears to be a good family man and father. I admire him for that. I do not admire his governance nor his political positions.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 6:09 p.m.

We are learning now that a high school student was removed from the background crowd at trump's Missoula "rally" because his facial expressions seemed to be at odds with what trump was saying and he wasn't "enthusiastic enough."

The young man recounted later that before the rally those who were selected to provide a supportive backdrop were instructed to "act enthusiastic" and "applaud a lot."

He didn't and was removed in the middle of the rally.

He was then detained and questioned by the Secret Service.

Video is available in many places. Americans should watch it.

This is trump's vision for America.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 4:28 p.m.

Aggielove - Caldwell, ID
    Sept. 7, 2018 2:29 p.m.
    KInda would be nice that th DN try to cause so much infighting by strategically posting stories like this to cause folks to fight on the comment section.

More peace is really a better choice DN.

-------
    In other words : Keep quiet and let him make an even bigger mess.

Sorry. That's not what a free press is about.

• ECR Burke, VA
    Sept. 8, 2018 1:51 p.m.

IZ5 said, "Ex-President Obama was a gentleman during his presidency, but he did divide the country. I hadn't seen much racial discord for some time until he was elected president. Yet, after a few months into his presidency, he and his wife made certain it reared it's ugly head again."

I'm trying to follow the logic of this statement. Racial discord has always been about whites mistreating, in so many ways, those of a different race. Remember the stories of slavery? So how is it that the African American President and his African American wife were the ones sowing discord in the country? Were they claiming certain citizens weren't, in fact, citizens and demanding to see their birth certificates?

• worf McAllen, TX
    Sept. 8, 2018 12:16 p.m.

Same old Obama.

Failures are blamed on Bush and success are taken from Trump.

Excuses are a sign of weakness.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 11:14 a.m.

@IZ5
    "I hadn't seen much racial discord for some time until he was elected president. "

Nothing exposes racial hatred quite like trying to end racism. Remember Charlottesville? That was over trying to keep a Confederate statue from being torn down. Kaepernick? He's protesting disparate policing/treatment of the black community. And in the past the worst periods were connected to times of advancements in Civil Rights.

• IZ5 Hatch, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 8:45 a.m.

Well said Cougsndawgs of West Point UT. Your statement is absolutely correct.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 8:42 a.m.

Everyone should watch both of them speak before they vote. Birthers coming out of the floorboards will just increase the popularity of 44 and remind voters how 45 got started.

• What in Tucket Provo, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 8:35 a.m.

Let's see Mr. Obama mentioned white supremacists and I understand a record number are running for office, 8. They are actually fascists and there are surely several hundred of them.
    How about the Nazi'x so what does that word mean, the National Socialist Party. Guess that answers that.
    Who is restraining the freedom of the press? Trump rightfully criticizes them as we have had hundreds if not thousands of stories that are false or smoking guns from the MSM. Moreover even the majority of Democrats don't trust them. Seems like they are printing all they want.
    Republicans radical? Hard to believe backing the constitution, keeping our traditions is so bad. Racist? Seems like racism did not decline under Mr. Obama as I had hoped.
    Protect us from hurricanes? Wasn't there a rather bad hurricane down in New Orleans under him? I can't see Trump has done worse and maybe better.
    As for the economy and other things accomplished under Trump and there is a long list if Obama had done them he would have been lionized even more than he has been.

• countryvoice3 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 8:32 a.m.

AFootballFan - Las Vegas, NV...he had the opportunity as the first black president to bring the country together, but he played the race card far too many times...

This is what disparate racism looks like. A black man who brings a black mans experience with him to the conversation of American life and politics is seen as divisive for that view.

"He had the opportunity as the first black president to bring the country together". And just how was that going to work...by telling the Black community they needed to be quiet and listen to you White folks? Because by presenting the Black perspective he has become to you the most divisive President in history.

"put you all back in chains" by unshackling Wall Street...by unshackling Wall Street...comments in reference to Republicans saying they were going to unshackle the private sector.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Sept. 8, 2018 8:29 a.m.

Obama seems to be rewriting history. It is shameful that the Trump had a hard time saying Nazis are bad. But the Dems have their own share of bigots and Obama was silent about them.

I don't like Trump. Nothing would make me happier than to have the Republicans impeach him. The Republicans could put principle before politics, rather than being like the Democrats.

When Democrats complain about Trump, they are telling us something that most of us already know. But they are also telling us something that they don't intend: They don't get it, they don't know why they lost.

People voted for Trump because the Democrats don't have any ideas. The last liberal in the Democratic party was Paul Tsongas who ran against Bill Clinton in 1992 and Utah's Bill Orton. They need to go and see if they have any liberals so that they can get a credible candidate in 2020. Quit worrying about Obama. We know his faults. Do the Democrats know theirs?

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 8:30 a.m.

There are many of us, I being one, who hoped and prayed that this previous president would follow the lead of GWB and keep his mouth shut following his term of office. Even though he criticized W on an almost daily basis for 8 years, President Bush never offered a word in response or rebuttal. BHO even said later it was a role he hoped to follow as well. That was dashed aside in this speech!

I will not listen to another word he has to say. His teleprompter speeches and cadence are disgusting to me! He had a chance to unify and did the opposite!

I am grateful we elected an outsider as POTUS. President Trump was open about the things he would do as President and has kept those promises. Is he brash and blunt? YES! That is exactly what we needed as we elected him. 61 Million Americans spoke, and the losers have been griping and demonstrating ever since!

After the theatrics by the minority at the Kavanaugh hearings, I hope the American people got a rude wake-up call as to what they need to do at the ballot box in 60 days. Socialist tendencies are not upon what this country was founded. Let's reign in this disorderly behavior and save our great Republic!

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    Sept. 8, 2018 8:03 a.m.

Obama, and many in the Democratic party, talk about racism incessantly because that is a cancer in this country.

Conservatives don't want to talk about racism, certainly one element that unites the various strains of conservative thought these days. We all hear the president put out his dog whistles to white nationalists. Stop him.

If you want Democrats to stop talking about racism, then let's make sure there is no reason for it. Stop voter suppression through the various nefarious proposals on voter ID, gerrymandering, etc. Stop scapegoating minorities and inviting your older white male core voter to blame anyone different for societal problems. Stop the ads that inflame rather than inform during political elections. Stop calling affirmative action a set aside or preference. Stop the slaughter of black men by law enforcement.

Instead, make the concept of equal justice and opportunity for all a universal theme. Appeal to our better angels. Unite, not divide the country. This is what it takes to get Democrats to stop talking race in American society. Just meet our lofty Constitutional goals, government of/by/for the people.

• RedRockUte St George, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 6:51 a.m.

It was nice to have an rational adult in the White House instead of a guy who gets his "news" from Fox & Friends, tries to subvert the Constitution instead of protect and defend it (as he took an oath to do), and never met a lie he did not like, so long as the lie made him look good or served his purposes.

BTW, I see some in the forum trying to play the socialism card. If wanting everyone to have access to affordable health care and good schools and such is socialistic, I'll take it every day as opposed to fascism, which is the direction Trump is heading.

• North Guy Corinne, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 6:38 a.m.

When Obama run for office his big theme was "Yes We Can" well we all waited 8 years to see what that meant. Great orator, with little or no action. Trump brings out the hater's in the Democratic Party big time, but as has been mentioned has done more in 1 year than Barrack did in 8. Socialism scares the crap out of most of us and it should! With leaders in the Democratic party like Nancy Pelosi it only highlights their agenda.

• Mick , 00
    Sept. 8, 2018 6:22 a.m.

Unrepentant-

If Obama was so great and loved then why did he have the biggest midterm election loss EVER? And how did Trump win? After all Hilliary was just going to go forward with the Obama agenda.

Obama was so bad that people voted for a Trump to get away from the Obama agenda.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 5:45 a.m.

@Morgan Duel

"Socialism doesn’t just create economic chaos — it’s evil
    A Gallup poll released in August found Democrats have a more favorable opinion of socialism than capitalism. According to Gallup, today, “57 percent of Democrat respondents say they view socialism positively, compared to only 47 percent who said they have a positive view of capitalism.”
    ---------

I am a Conservative that has grown disaffected with the GOP mainly due to the divisiveness that Trump is creating.

However, with the direction of the Left causing the majority of Democrats to literally reject freedom for the most despicable economic system (Socialism) that has been proven over and over to destroy nations and freedom, I am left stunned without words to describe my emotions.

As bad and Trump and the GOP is, it pales in comparison to the destruction that Socialism would bring. And yet the majority of Democrats have been deceived into supporting it.

Unbelievable.

• ute alumni Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 5:45 a.m.

He left out 57 states and corps man

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 1:22 a.m.

"He opened up about freedom of the press:

"It shouldn't be Democratic or Republican to say that we don't threaten the freedom of the press because they say things or publish stories we don't like."

What do you call it when the press won't let you say something they don't like? (See the censorship criteria of the D-News)

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 12:35 a.m.

@Lia
    "Now THERE is a president.
    Well read, well schooled, well spoken, thoughtful, astute, intelligent..."

Character traits that ironically make him far more dangerous person, since a smooth talker is inherently more dangerous than the crass

Trump may tell bombastic lies - Obama tells lies intended to manipulate and deceive (you can keep your doctor - Benghazi was caused by an anti-Muslim video etc.)
    Trump condemns the fake press - Obama wiretapped and prosecuted journalists
    Trump rages at leaks - Obama lie detected and prosecuted staff
    Trump says divisive things - Obama thrived on division through identity politics
    Trump make statements that are constitutionally questionable - Obama engaged in imperial actions
    Trump calls his opponents juvenile names like rocket man - Obama smears his opponents as racist, sexist and/or homophobes
    The media and Hollywood hate Trump - The media and Hollywood fawned over and enabled Obama

It is the slick charismatic unquestioned ones that do the most damage

Obama was the worst president in my lifetime: his return to campaigning is a blessing for Republicans - It is reminder that as bad as Trump may be, the alternatives remain worse

• worf McAllen, TX
    Sept. 7, 2018 11:50 p.m.

Hmm?

If the majority of adults can be persuaded to a lifetime addiction to coffee, than perhaps Obama can persuade citizens to accepting that he started the economic recovery.

• worf McAllen, TX
    Sept. 7, 2018 11:41 p.m.

Obama has appeal to low information folks.

I didn't know Mr Obama was working on a tax cuts, less restrictive regulations, and new trade deals.

• AFootballFan Las Vegas, NV
    Sept. 7, 2018 11:16 p.m.

Wow! Leave it to Obama to criticize a sitting president...he has no class at all. Trump lacks some virtues, for sure, but shame on Obama for wanting the spotlight still. Obama blew it...he had the opportunity as the first black president to bring the country together, but he played the race card far too many times...shameful. And he played the race card again today in his speech. Unbelievable! Obama is a Phoney, as are most politicians (republican or democrat). Call him what you may, but Trump is not a phoney, and that is refreshing to at least half the country. I predict Trump will get re-elected, not because he’s presidential, but because the silent majority is sick and tired of all the political correct nonsense that has engulfed our country.

• unrepentant progressive Bozeman, MT
    Sept. 7, 2018 10:05 p.m.

Obama was no where near the worst President we have had. I think a whole bunch of people got convinced he was the very essence of evil, and ignore all the good he did for the country. So much for so many with such great opposition from the party of trump, called the GOP way back when. His personal ethics and morality are better than most Presidents we have had, and by all appearances this moderate President (no liberal he despite what the party of trump cries incessantly) was indeed a loyal family of faith and honor. He never embarassed the country in 8 years, unlike the current president has done in almost 2 short years.

Almost everything Obama said is substantially agreed to by most every opponent of trump and his political party. And much is agreed to by members of the party of trump. They know the president is sadly lacking, but ignore his personal failings for political power. It is trump's personal failings that will doom this country and this modern American society to endless scandal, mindless charges, tribalism, ethnic cleansing and lawlessness.

All for a tax break for millionaires and a few judges on the Federal bench. How cheaply bought.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 9:12 p.m.

@Boyd in Provo
    So speaking out against racism makes someone “divisive”? Well then please do paint me with that same broad brush I would consider it an honor.

• Morgan Duel Taylorsville, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 8:39 p.m.

The Democratic Party has evolved since Obama, The Blaze
    Commentary states: Socialism doesn’t just create economic chaos — it’s evil

I wonder what Mr. Obama thinks of that?

• HSTucker Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 8:02 p.m.

Thank you, Mr. Scribner and Mr. Obama, for reminding us why we voted for Trump.

May God bless President Donald J. Trump and may he continue to confound the enemies of freedom.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Sept. 7, 2018 6:36 p.m.

@Dart Thrower

Mr. Obama is apparently faithful to his wife and children but demonstrated that he was "unfit" for the Presidency.

Just my opinion and that of many others if comments on this board are any indication.

• TAS Tehachapi, CA
    Sept. 7, 2018 5:48 p.m.

Obama is right, the Republican Party has lost it's moral compass by nominating and supporting Donald Trump. The decline started when they welcomed supporters of segregation like Strom Thurmond, and continued with making divisive people life Newt Gingrich as party leaders. This is not the Republican Party that had Lincoln, T Roosevelt, and Eisenhower as leaders. The people of this country need to turn out the Trump enablers in November. I am not going to vote for Kevin McCarthy, the Congressman in my district, who doesn't recognize Trump as a bad influence on the country.

• Dart Thrower Ogden, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 5:25 p.m.

President Obama is competent, honest, faithful to his wife and children, well read, attentive to detail and intelligent. President Trump, unfortunately for our nation, is the exact opposite

• Mick , 00
    Sept. 7, 2018 5:09 p.m.

Lia-

He’s only well spoken when he’s reading off a Teleprompter.

Liberals are very quick to forget. It was during the Obama administration that we were hacked by the Russians and our election was compromised. That is Obama’s fault. Obama created the worst healthcare plan in history. Never passed a budget. Gave billions of dollars to Iran. Pressed the red reset button with Russia and told Putin he would work with him after the election. Used the IRS as a political weapon. Had several FBI scandals. Fast and Furious. Loretta Lynch scandals. Eric Holder using “executive privilege” to hide information...... the list goes on and on.

And please tell me what exact actions he took to help the economy? Be specific.

It was because Obama was so bad that we got Trump.

• Harrison Bergeron Holladay , UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 4:59 p.m.

I think what really irks Obama is that Trump did for the economy in one year what he couldn't do in eight.

• a_voice_of_reason Woods Cross, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 4:20 p.m.

Not a fan (particularly politically) with Pres. Obama. Never was. During his tenure I had trouble keeping perspective, but in moments of calm reflection I could recognize him as a good husband and father - a good man - who was doing what he genuinely thought was best for the country. I nearly always disagreed with his stances. I frequently disagreed with and decried his methods (like railroading the opposition to the ACA). However, I never felt he was acting out of pure selfishness. I felt he was often being a politician (party-over-country), but was far from the worst on either side of the aisle.

I don't agree with everything he said in his speech - or even everything quoted here. But I agree with a lot of it. I appreciate his sincerity, and agree that Donald Trump is bad for this country. Much of what has been done under Trump is good, but that doesn't change the fact that Donald Trump is an immoral, toxic, polarizing, bombastic individual who should not be President. We can't change the fact that "We the People" voted for him. But, hopefully we can learn and do better next time.

• el steve o Herriman, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 3:47 p.m.

Previous President is a living, breathing contradiction - and know one cares. This former president is the king of "resentment, division and paranoia" politics. How dare he reference President Lincoln - complete and total contradiction, for anyone who cares to know truth. This previous POTUS is incapable of speaking in coherent, genuine thoughts without a teleprompter because he's a living, breathing contradiction - and know one cares. The darling of the corrupt DC establishment/swamp.

• Boyd in Provo , 00
    Sept. 7, 2018 3:40 p.m.

Barack Obama said, " When you vote, you've got the power to make sure white nationalists don't feel emboldened to march with their hoods on or off in Charlottesville."

On August 14th 2012 Vice President Joe Biden said, " Mitt Romney and the GOP would put you all back in chains."

For eight years of President Obama's term I waited patiently for just one time that race would not be thrown out to the American public in most of his speeches. He was a divisive president from the moment he took office. And now he pops out onto the public scene again and nothing has changed in his mannerisms or in his speeches. He will always be divisive, never touting unity for our great country. What a sad way to live your life.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Sept. 7, 2018 3:16 p.m.

"The man clearly is in the top three of the worst presidents in US history; with only Carter and Buchanan maybe worse."
    ____________________
    Comments like that don't demonstrate any real appreciation of American history. They essentially serve the purpose of saying something meant to be inflammatory. It pretty much reflects the tone of much of the political discourse in our times.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 3:05 p.m.

It would have been nice to have Obama create unity instead of promoting identity politics and racial division while in office. That's where you had your opportunity to create greater cohesion and more mutual respect between classes, races, and cultures Mr. Obama. Your words, while beautiful, ring hallow in the shadow of your divisive record/actions.

Always the great orator with the silver tongue. Always quick with a witty quip at your opponent's expense, but very slow to any action that would affect real harmony in a nation that became more divided under your watch, not less. You are right, we need to be better; we need to vote and demand better from our leaders. But when the words come out of your mouth all I see is the racial and ethnic chasm left in your wake.

• Vanceone Provo, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 2:59 p.m.

If you want a scandal free presidency, you cannot be thinking of Obama, who had Fast and Furious, who had the IRS targeting people illegally; who had the FBI intimidating and arresting reporters, and who knowingly violated the law to email Hillary on her private server, where it was promptly scooped up by the Chinese.

And that's just off the top of my head. Obama also apparently approved and ordered the FBI to spy on his political opponents (Nixon only covered it up after the fact, while Obama ordered it to be done!).

Scandal free? The man clearly is in the top three of the worst presidents in US history; with only Carter and Buchanan maybe worse.

• Craig Clark Boulder, CO
    Sept. 7, 2018 2:50 p.m.

When Obama was President, I didn't always agree with him. But I always got the feeling that he was doing his best to provide strong moral leadership. The words that came out of his White House was never the kind of language that left Americans feeling ashamed.

Sure wish we had him back at the helm today.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 2:45 p.m.

Now THERE is a president.
    Well read, well schooled, well spoken, thoughtful, astute, intelligent...
    the polar opposite of his successor.

• Vanceone Provo, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 2:37 p.m.

I see how it is: right now, my comment pointing out that Obama is the one peddling fear was denied, while all comments allowed are worshippers of Obama.

How blatantly biased can the DNews get lately?

• Aggielove Caldwell, ID
    Sept. 7, 2018 2:29 p.m.

More peace is really a better choice DN.

• Weston Jurney West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 2:14 p.m.

Barack Obama was the nation's leader. Now he's not technically in charge, but he's still the nation's conscience, its wisdom, and its inspiration.

• JBs Logan, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 2:08 p.m.

Dang, I miss having a president who is calm, can form cohesive thoughts and sentences, who loves and is faithful to his wife, and whose presidency was scandal-free.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 2:04 p.m.

"“What’s gonna fix our democracy is you. … The threat to our democracy doesn't just come from Donald Trump … the biggest threat to our democracy is indifference. …"

No, indifference is what got Trump elected. Inaction by the GOP is what is sinking our country.