It will be business as usual for Utes in road opener at Northern Illinois

• BigB Pleasantville, NJ
    Sept. 8, 2018 11:57 p.m.

According to ESPN the BYU/UMass game will be in Amherst., not Foxboro,
    Just sayin'.

• BigB Pleasantville, NJ
    Sept. 8, 2018 10:20 a.m.

I for one am glad that the Utes have come to Dekalb. It's the closest they come to the East Coast for a long time. Road trip. Drove 900 miles from NJ to see this game. Go Utes!
    As for scheduling better, I'm in agreement. If you want to play someone from one of the Group of Six, try the AAC. They have schools in Texas and Florida (SMU, Houston, USF, UCF), areas the Utes recruit. They also have teams in major urban areas including Philly (Temple), Balt/DC (Navy), NOLA (Tulane), Hartford/NYC (UConn), Cincinnati and Memphis. Drop BYU and the annual beat down of an FCS school and expand the recruiting and visibility. NIU actually is a good game if the Utes want to recruit the Mid West which has a lot of talent.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 8, 2018 10:06 a.m.

Utah -11 @ NIU is a spooky line folks. This will be the 2nd week I won't be betting on my beloved Utes. I have the under in the first half however. I jumped on the BYU game though. I have CAL +3.5 for HUGE coin!

GooooooooUtes!

• Utahute72 Tooele, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 8:39 a.m.

It's not the size of the stadium, but the talent and the heart of the team playing in it. From that standpoint, Norther Illinois and UMass are light years apart.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Sept. 8, 2018 7:43 a.m.

Wasn't Alabama available?

• ute alumni Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 6:02 a.m.

I have a bad feelings about this game.

• UteinIdaho Sandpoint, ID
    Sept. 7, 2018 6:59 p.m.

Did anyone read the analysis/prediction from Athlon? I tried to post the link but D News wouldn't let me.

The writer clearly doesn't know much about Utah, as his analysis is pretty off. I heard a clip from the Big Show on 1280 yesterday where they referenced it, and how silly it is, which made me glad I wasn't the only one that felt that way! It would take a LOT to go NIU's way(ie +5 TO margin) for them to put up 34 points on this Ute D.

I'm predicting that this game might have some nail biter moments, and could be close at halftime with Utah putting it away midway through the 3rd quarter and winning something like 37-17.

• KimmyP Grantsville, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 4:12 p.m.

Hmmm, you'd think someone living in Palo Alto would be vaguely aware of the Pac12's insistence that each member of the Conference play 9 games against other members of the conference. And, since the name of said conference is Pacific 12, it may provide a hint about the geography of where member schools are located.

But, maybe that's too much to ask for from a follower of a nomadic independent team, who must beg for games throughout the country. 😂

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 2:52 p.m.

@SoonerUte

"The UMass game this year is at neutral site Foxboro Stadium seating 66,000."

Thanks for the info!

Wow, playing at Foxboro Stadium. Reminds me of the game with BYU and U. of Missouri played at Arrow Head Stadium in 2015. The stadium was something like 100-150 miles from the U of Missouri's stadium. And the game drew 42,824 in the 76,416 capacity stadium (56% filled) This compared to the average attendance at Missouri's home games in 2015 of 66,800 which included crowds of 64,670 and 70,079 to watch So. E. Missouri and U Conn respectively. But then again those schools bring huge number of fans to away games.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 7, 2018 2:43 p.m.

“BYU, living rent free in your head 24/7”

Stated while posting yet again on a U thread—LOL

Beat NIU!

Go Utes!

• ArizonaUte SLC, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 1:38 p.m.

@Jello is Good - ,

And here you are checking in on the comment section of a Utah article.

In YOUR head 24/7. Go Utes!

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 1:29 p.m.

"I can't wait to read what is said about BYU playing UMass in their 17,000 seat stadium!"
    The UMass game this year is at neutral site Foxboro Stadium seating 66,000.

NIU's 23,550 seats is on par with Utah State's 25,100 seat stadium.
    Still, you shouldn't hear any remarks about it from Cougar fans.
    They know better than anyone that venue size means nothing.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 1:28 p.m.

The Utes and their non-conference schedule is ridiculous. Outside of U of M a few years back they've played nobody that's done anything to improve their reputation outside of the PAC-12. Who cares that they've only lost one game? Lets hope the new AD will move on from the Weber States, Northern Illinois and BYU's and schedule home and homes with worthy national opponents.

• P5Proud Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 7, 2018 1:03 p.m.

My prediction? We are going to see more teardrop passes from Ty and somebody is going to get serious about snagging them nearly every time. Whoever that receiver is will become a very valuable player for the Utes.

My big hope? I hope Britan Covey drops his gloves mid-play again. Also, that Ty keeps those big, talented tight ends involved in the offense. Having tight ends who are truly scoring threats will help this Ute offense in so many ways over the next two seasons. Go Utes!

• mussingaround Palo Alto, CA
    Sept. 7, 2018 12:57 p.m.

Whoamu

“I can't wait to read what is said about BYU playing UMass in their 17,000 seat stadium! But then again I believe BYU has played there before so they are probably used to it.”

BYU, living rent free in your head 24/7, has never played in UMass’ home stadium, but the Cougars play east is f the Rockies frequently, unlike the timid swoops on the hill.

• Juice Box Eureka, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 12:57 p.m.

Let's all cheer for Stanford this week. Hope they can rattle the freshman QB for a few weeks for us.

• Jello is Good ,
    Sept. 7, 2018 12:52 p.m.

@Who am I sir? - Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 12:12 p.m.

"I can't wait to read what is said about BYU playing UMass in their 17,000 seat stadium! But then again I believe BYU has played there before so they are probably used to it."

In your head 24/7. Rise and shout!

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 12:12 p.m.

Coach Whit has said the biggest game is the next game and I believe that is true this week. The only thing is Utah is not playing the game that is perhaps the biggest for the Utes this season. Imagine sweeping #9 Stanford, #11 Washington, and #26 Oregon! And if USC defeats Stanford this weekend that is what they will do this year. Why? Because they play Washington State, California, and Oregon State instead of Washington and Oregon as the Utes must do.

IMO if the Utes are to have a chance at the championship of the Southern Division of the PAC-12 Stanford must defeat USC this weekend! If not Utah must win 2 of the 3 games against Stanford, Washington, and Oregon in addition to winning the head-to-head game against USC (#12) at RES on October 20th to even tie for the championship in all probability. Wow!

In addition, several articles have referred to the "small venue" of No. Ill's 23,595 seat stadium. I can't wait to read what is said about BYU playing UMass in their 17,000 seat stadium! But then again I believe BYU has played there before so they are probably used to it.