Cal unsettled at QB but its opportunistic defense expected to challenge BYU's offense

• worf McAllen, TX
    Sept. 8, 2018 12:05 a.m.

If BYU loses, then Wisconsin will be crushing.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Sept. 7, 2018 8:20 p.m.

@Water Rocket: Here's what a jet sweep looks like:

One of the wide receivers starts just before the snap running laterally along the line of scrimmage. The QB pivots and can hand off to a plunging back, or fake the handoff, and pass, or continue his pivot and hand off to the receiver running full speed behind the line. As soon as he can clear the defensive end, he cuts up field. BYU gained yards every time they ran a jet sweep. And they faked it a lot, which freezes the defensive end on that side.

I saw it in the spring game and was excited. Well, that is not the only thing the new offense does. Smash mouth with a 300 pound line? You bet. This line is big and quick. Grimes brought the offense from Auburn and LSU, where he was line coach.

The main difference from last year is that this team, top to bottom, is in fantastic shape. UA had guys on the ground panting and getting stretched while the BYU guys were bouncing around. This team bears zero resemblance to any recent BYU team. This is an SEC offense.

• West Jordanians of Utah WEST JORDAN, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 6:30 p.m.

I’m a huge Coogs fan and I’m gonna cheer like crazy tomorrow. The one thing that I absolutely loved seeing that wasn’t there last year was the O-Line opening up Mississippi River sized holes and blowing Arizona downfield. Way to go Coach Grimes and Pugh! The other thing I saw is the receivers are catching balls and BYU is throwing farther than to Bushman for 2 or 3 yard gains like last year. Best of all, the team is believing in each other and excited to play every down. Let’s Rise and Shout Coogs!

• Mowgli54 Granite Bay, CA
    Sept. 7, 2018 2:18 p.m.

Last week I was skeptical about how we’d do. Midway third quarter I cd see this team was prepared, on both sides. There are still plenty of questions, but we appear to be solid and fairly deep at most positions.

I think these Cougars are going to be amped up. Playing in front of the screaming hordes at LES, our boys will want to show we’re back, that last week was only hors’ d’ouevres.

I think our pass rush, a little cautious last week to keep assignment and gap sound, will get after it more. Corbin and Takitaki might have big games. We’ll get a couple of picks, I imagine.

Squally will get >100 yds. I’d like to see more catches by Simon, Bushman and Collie. Am interested to see how the fly sweeps do against the speed of the Golden Bear.

I think we’re going to pour it on, let ‘em have it. No mercy. Message is BYU is not a “once proud program.”

• skywalker Palo Alto, CA
    Sept. 7, 2018 1:21 p.m.

Arizona Ute

“One think I do know is that Cal has seen the BYU film. Knows the 3-4 plays BYU runs on offense and will be prepared.”

BYU didn’t even come close to opening up their entire play book at Arizona.

• ArizonaUte SLC, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 12:34 p.m.

No idea who will win tomorrow Cal or BYU.

BYU did look better then last yr. v. AZ. But AZ looked worse. Is that because Sumlin restricted Tate? Or the AZ defense is terrible? Or was it because BYU was good and made them look bad?

Don't know.

One think I do know is that Cal has seen the BYU film. Knows the 3-4 plays BYU runs on offense and will be prepared. Cal will play much more assignment sound defense than AZ did. And Cal is a pretty good defensive team.

Cal's offense seems a little questionable but they have a good OL and good RB.

I am calling it a low scoring toss-up game. It's not a clear win for either team.

• BlueBlood2002 St Cloud, FL
    Sept. 7, 2018 11:26 a.m.

Seeing that Cal averaged about 3 yards/play in both their passing and running game against NC, their offense shouldn't scare the Cougs at all. I'm surprised that no one is forecasting a blowout for this game with it being played in Provo. One game doesn't a season make, but the Cougs seem to be vastly improved from last year.

• amagnetick AV, CA
    Sept. 7, 2018 11:03 a.m.

I watched the Cal/NC game. I'm a bit confused if I was watching a different game than what most saw. I saw a NC QB that was having a difficult time throwing the ball, very inaccurate much of the game. Those interceptions were the result of his inaccuracy. If he had been on the money, all but one of them would not have been intercepted. I think if Mangum plays at least as well as he did against Arizona then BYU has a very good chance at being 2-0.

• Stringer Bell Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 10:17 a.m.

"They have a great defense, and we have a great offense."

Ooooookay. I can see Wisconsin and Washington staying up late re-tooling their defenses for this "great" offense.

• localblue Sandy, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 10:04 a.m.

The defense last week was good and bad at defending the run. They stopped the QB but had some runs go for a lot of yards, particularly late in the game. Hopefully they've worked on filling those holes or Cal will try to exploit them. I predict a BYU win though, at home, revamped offense and so on.

• utahcoyote Saint George, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 9:12 a.m.

@water rocket - Magna, UT

think jet sweep is basically a handoff to a wide receiver who is in motion as play starts. if its done right, its a very quick play that can be done out of shotgun or with qb under center. also usually involves a faked handoff to tailback running into line of scrimmage

• BlueCoug Provo, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 7:40 a.m.

Ross Bowers started against UNC and completed 8 of 17 passes for 56 yards and lost 7 yards on 3 carries. Chase Garbers was 7 of 13 for 54 yards and a TD and had 10 carries for 39 yards. Brandon McIlwain completed 1 of 2 passes for 9 yards and ran for 26 yards on three carries.

Combined, they completed 16 of 32 passes for 119 yards and rushed for 58 yards on 16 carries.

Doesn't sound like any of California's QB's are that scary.

BYU just needs to stay focused and play their game and they'll be fine.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 7:33 a.m.

To Skinny Skip, I couldn't tell if you were serious or poking fun in your comment, but I can tell you the score of Saturday's game before it even starts. The score will be (drum roll, please) zero to zero. Now what the score will be at the end of the game is any body's guess. I predict that the team that scores the most points will win.

On a more serious note, I have never seen any football team have very much success when they change quarterbacks. Rotating three QBs is insane, offensively. About the only good thing that can come out of rotating QBs for Cal is that they will be fresh. I predict that BYU's O and D lines will be even better than they were last week, and that will be the difference in this game. I also predict that BYU will get more take-a-ways than Cal does.

One thing about last week's game that impressed me was that BYU suffered zero sacks, meaning that Mangum had time to make his reads. I don't know what a jet sweep is. Can some one explain it to me?

• MoonlightGR Herriman, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 7:32 a.m.

@skinny I believe this article is about Byu. I'm sorry if Ute fans are in your head.

• Skinny Skip from Ojai Ventura, CA
    Sept. 6, 2018 11:09 p.m.

I don't know what happened last week. The Sports Illustrated cover curse came through for us. According to the all knowing Utah trolls, BYU has no business playing P-5 teams since it is at best a mid major team. The only chance I see BYU winning on Saturday is if the altitude gets to Cal's players. The Utes once again are playing another P-5 powerhouse. If BYU plays as dismally as the Ute Trolls predict, at least I have solace in watching the BYU's Cross Country team. They are currently ranked no. 2 in the country. Cross Country is a sport not deemed worthy by the Ute athletic department hierarchy. In their wisdom, they are fielding a Men's Lacrosse team though. Should bring out the Ute faithful in large numbers to watch.