New Utah drug company to fight nation's 'crazy' drug prices, shortages

Coalition of more than 100 health groups creating generic drugmaker

• Vitruvius Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 6:02 a.m.

I'll follow this company with interest. I like seeing a free market solution to a challenge facing many people. That it is a free market solution suggests that the people starting this company believe it will be sustainable (since the government isn't funding it no matter how well it does). It also will have the incentives to adjust its business strategy quickly if it is losing money.

Free market capitalism is not without compassion.

• Just want to know...... Northern Utah, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 5:37 p.m.

Very good, Uteofferouus!

• Uteofferouus Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 2:38 p.m.

As a retired healthcare professional, I am encouraged by what I am reading about this new not-for-profit venture by Civica RX.

After working for 40+ years in hospitals and other facets of the healthcare industry, I am embarrassed by what I participated in during those years as I witnessed the system financially gouge sick and helpless patients and their families. No, I'm not embarrased by the care I provided to patients, I am embarrassed by what the hospitals charged for those services. I'm embarrassed by a system that was originally based on compassion and service to fellow human beings evolved into a profit hungry enterprise bent on building an empire and making kings out of it's CEOs and many others in the system.

I'm not saying that healthcare providers should't make a reasonable living, but when a service system virtually bankrupts it's customers and the American economy, something is terribly wrong!

• Vonkalicious Lehi, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 2:30 p.m.

The idea is legit! We should be careful to not attack those who are trying to help the victims of this scam - patients in Utah. I back Harrison 100% and am proud to be under his leadership. Sincerely, Brandon R. Vonk

• Jacobiuntherus Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 2:23 p.m.

Kudos to Marc Harrison and Dan Liljenquist and associates! You represent the best of leadership and thinking in America today.

Such great men and women as this group who have witnessed the raping of America by the healthcare juggernaut have now arisen to take a stand for morality and decency! How long must working people watch their loved ones suffer and die in agony while the drug companies and other healthcare entities continue to force them to choose between poverty and healthcare?

How egregious the money lust that so many in the healthcare industry exhibit while average people struggle mightly to pay for obscene health insurance premiums, co-pays. These purveyors of greed go home everyday to their luxurious homes in their BMWs and Cadillacs with impunity while ignoring the pain and suffering that could be relieved by a lower cost healthcare system - shame on you - all of you - you know who you are!

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 2:14 p.m.

This is one of the biggest news stories in recent memory!. A big thanks to Mr. Harrison and all the other visionary leaders who are forming this important company. As a healthcare professional, father, and consumer of healthcare, I cannot state forcefully enough what a big and needed initiative this is!

With regards to those drug companies who gouge consumers, the following statement should send a shock into their consciences: "the folks who are perverting the system, they know exactly who they are and they should be very concerned."

We as human beings (and Americans) have a capacity to do good things and to make the world a better place if we only will use our intelligence and energy to do so - the people at Civica RX understand this.

All associated with Civic RX. are patriots and benevolent human beings. They stand in stark contrast to the malevolent drug company Czars and profit hungry share holders who polute the soul of society in their pursuit for filthy lucre!

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 2:06 p.m.

The idea, on paper, seems legit. However, with Dan Liljenquist and Marc Harrison in charge, I have my doubts.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Sept. 6, 2018 12:29 p.m.

Good luck to Civica RX, it will help with one of the many things that need to change in healthcare.