Doug Robinson: The all-time, all-Utah college, all-NFL team

• AlwaysAnAggie Hyrum, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 2:44 p.m.

Seems like a fair list. There were some tough choices there. As an Aggie fan it would be tough to choose between Altie Taylor and Macarthur Lane. Both great althletes and people. I really like your attempt at making it a correct list. I wouldn't argue any of them. One I could make an argument for is Anthony Calvillo. Career yardage holder in the CFL, but I don't think he could compare to Steve Young.

• milquetoasty Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 8:21 a.m.

@ Oh Really?

"The only things that kept McMahon out of the Hall were Ditka and artificial turf (injuries).

It was Charles Martin of the Green Bay Packers that ruined McMahon's career, not artificial turf (okay, maybe that played a role too). In one of the dirtiest moments in NFL history, Martin (who was wearing a towel listing all the numbers of players he intended to injure) picked up McMahon a good five seconds after he had thrown the ball and absolutely body slammed his shoulder into the ground. If I remember correctly, it may have been the first time a player was suspended for on field actions. He likely also prevented one of the greatest football teams of all time (the '85 Chicago Bears) from repeating as Super Bowl champs in '86.

The footage of the "play" is on YouTube if you're curious.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 7:14 a.m.

Doug, you missed Gordon Gravelle on the offensive line. He played 8 years in the NFL and had two Super Bowl wins with the Steelers.

• Oh Really? Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 1:41 a.m.

Luther Ellis couldn't carry Manny Fernandez, uh, helmet.

If he would've played for the 49ers instead of the Bears, McMahon would've kept Young off the field for even longer. Situation has a lot to do with success, and playing with a great running back and for an overrated coach kept McMahon down.

In 1985 McMahon sat out the first half against the Vikings, and came in and threw 3 TD passes on 5/7 passes in 6:40 seconds of the second half to lead the best team ever to a win. The only things that kept McMahon out of the Hall were Ditka and artificial turf (injuries).

• AZJazzFan Gold Canyon, az
    Sept. 7, 2018 1:37 a.m.

The most successful NFL running back that played in college in Utah actually played for Dixie State College in 1995. Later transferred to Washington. . . Corey Dillon. He ended up number 20 on the NFL career rushing list. Jamal Anderson is 117. Corey Dillon actually had 5 more career yards than OJ Simpson. At Dixie State he rushed for 1899 yards on 279 attempts, for 6.8 yards per carry.

• BobbyPaluga Austin, TX
    Sept. 6, 2018 11:38 p.m.

Interesting that the only Heisman, Doak Walker, Maxwell or Outland Trophy (2 of the **3) winners the state ever produced all missed the list.
    Only two schools in NCAA history have a national championship as well as a winner of each major player award, WITHOUT a serious rules infraction. BYU and Penn St*
    *With penalties and restorations relating to child sexual abuse, I have no idea where Penn St stands. When the New York Times published the story the case was under consideration.
    **Merlin Olsen won an Outland Trophy in 1961.

• Sports Nutz Smithfield, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 10:39 p.m.

Matthew,

That is pretty cool about your Uncle. Had it been in the NFL instead of the AFL, he might have been given a look. Either way I would be proud as well.

real ute,

Thank you for the giggles. I for one can feel the pain in your words as you see all these USU and BYU players on this list where you clearly feel they should all be utes. Funny stuff.

• TJ Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 8:51 p.m.

Good argument for all these guys.
    Good comments except maybe for one person with a really big BYU inferiority complex

• Osgrath Cedar Hills - Utah, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 5:34 p.m.

I can't argue against either jbhick73's list or Robinson's. Some, like Merlin Olsen, Steve Smith, Bobby Wagner or Eric Weddle are obvious. One list has John Tait on OL, another has Paul Howard instead. Both are worthy. Some could be debated, such as Luther Ellis vs. Manny Fernandez, but all such lists are a combination of opinion and conjecture.

That's what makes following various sports so much fun. You could do the same with Major League Baseball or the NBA, and have a lot of discussion.

• Las Vegas Aggie Fish Haven, ID
    Sept. 6, 2018 4:47 p.m.

Statistics don't lie! Go Aggies

• jbhick73 Tooele, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 4:15 p.m.

Funny,
    I did the same thing a few months ago on Facebook lol...

Ben Hickman
    March 23 · Tooele ·
    For your facbooking pleasure...
    here is me All-NFL team based on former players of universities in Utah

because football season is over, I have no life... and because I was kinda curious myself (not a bad list... I was surprised)

OFFENSE:

S Eric Weddle Utah

SPECIAL TEAMS:
    K Jim Turner USU
    P Lee Johnson BYU

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 6, 2018 3:35 p.m.

Oh my goodness????? Thanks for the giggles Doug.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Sept. 6, 2018 3:05 p.m.

Matthew Felt,

I was your uncle's home teacher from 14 until I went on my mission - love that family and they had the best round manicured hedges ever. Can't say enough good things about your uncle as a man beyond his amazing football legacy.

• kurt11 Smithfield, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 2:49 p.m.

Interesting that little old Utah State produced who you consider the best Pro Player from Utah all time, and the most pro players on this best of Utah NFL list... I like it.

• Matthew Felt Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 2:40 p.m.

I'd add my uncle, Dick Felt to the list, 7 years AFL with the Boston Patriots and the NY Titans. 18 interceptions with 1 TD, 2 time AFL All-Star. Played in the 1963 AFL Championship game with the Patriots. Was all-conference and scored 4 rushing touchdowns in the 4th Quarter vs. San Jose St., Nov. 8, 1952