Could the outcry over Colin Kaepernick damage more than Nike's stock prices?

• aplmn Provo, UT
    Sept. 17, 2018 10:52 p.m.

I respect Nike and their decision to support Colin K. If we want to see change, we must be radical, outrageous, outspoken, and different. Nike is changing the social atmosphere and isn't afraid to overstep some barriers to make that happen.

Colin K's protest was one that was peaceful, impactful, and powerful. His beliefs in equality for everyone weigh far beyond any glory or paycheck that football could give him. He knew what was right to him and he made made his voice known. I wish there were more people like that in this world.

• Terry Sandy, UT
    Sept. 11, 2018 1:28 a.m.

Name one other country in the world where their pro sports players protest their flag? It does not happen, that is the one time all people of a country are to come together in unity, sports is not the platform to protest political issues especially when the flag and anthem you are protesting stand for freedom and liberty.

Kap did far more than just protest the flag however, he also wore Police are Pigs socks while on the field to get further media attention, then bad talking our country to the media as unfair, racist and unjust. All while cashing multi million dollar checks and millions of americans of all races once looked up to these guys as heroes for throwing a football and he hates our racist & oppressive country? This is the most diverse and free country in the world he is disrespecting. Kap also praised Fidel Castro and Cuba (Castro who oppressed and murdered his own people while giving them no rights or freedoms under strict communism) and Nike wants to celebrate this guy as a role model? Sorry, us middle age Americans are never going to buy Nike for our kids again, that is the freedom we have to make our statements with our pocketbooks. Worst idea ever Nike.

• vern001 Castle Rock, CO
    Sept. 10, 2018 8:55 p.m.

Nike has done their homework. It's not as if the 55-year-old from Ohio or Utah who is now boycotting Nike was ever their prime target market. You can boycott all you want--they will come out ahead. They've already earned nearly $50 million in free publicity.

• vern001 Castle Rock, CO
    Sept. 10, 2018 8:52 p.m.

turbolover22 - Colin Kaepernick has donated over $1 million to charity over the course of the last few years.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 5:48 p.m.

@yoyolate
    "In the last 3 months in the DFW area, 2 black men, and 1 teenager have been executed by police." Really - they were "executed"? Were any old white guys "executed" (or were they just shot)?

@Selznik
    "But mocking someone, belittling a fellow child of God, is not a Christian act."
    Whatever - its called being forced to live within the DN character limitation and "mock" seemed like a valid substitute for the more verbose "right to discuss, to offer differing opinions, even to point out factual errors in someone’s statement". Particularly when there are few better words than "mock" to reject the hypocrisy of those who support Nike's right to have a corporate conscience, but work to shut down a small business like Masterpiece Cake shop. I also reject (or should i say "mock"?) your implication that Christians are obligated to be feeble patsy's. Because I happen to think that a forceful "NO" is the appropriate response to abuse. I do not belong to any faith and you are making assumptions to project Christianity onto me: although i proudly confess sympathy regarding their rejection of the duplicity directed towards to them.

@UtahBruin

• n8ive american Shelley, Idaho
    Sept. 10, 2018 2:50 p.m.

If one were to actually look at facts, as per statista website, for the 2017-2018 year as of June 2018, 457 whites were killed compared to 223 blacks and 179 hispanic. Most were male. Now if we look at crimes by race per the FBI website, total arrests were 5,858,330 for whites and 2,263,112 for blacks. Notice a trend? Police killings are about equal when comparing arrests to killings. Sure, one could include race percentage of population but this looks at crime vs killings.

What can one take from this data? Blacks are not targeted in higher proportion than whites or killed in higher percentage based on actual crimes committed.

For Colin and Nike to point out only one side of the equation is irresponsible.

• jo1952 Redmond, WA
    Sept. 10, 2018 1:32 p.m.

Think Child Labor and Sweatshops. Don't buy Nike.

It's still going on and little kids are forced to work in horrible conditions to pad the profits and pay Kaepernick's his millions. It's a matter of right and wrong. Hmmm, hard decision, support the anti-American kneeler or support the little kids who are forced to work Nike.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 12:50 p.m.

How a "liberal narrative" is constructed:
    Nike does this social justice thing.
    Media points to Nike weekly increase in sales of 31%.

Week mentioned happens to be when Mom’s all over are back-to-school shopping.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 12:52 p.m.

How a "liberal narrative" is constructed:
    Nike does this social justice thing.
    Media points to Nike weekly increase in sales of 31%.

Week mentioned happens to be when Mom’s all over are back-to-school shopping.

• 1aggie Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 12:11 p.m.

The fact is, many veterans support Kaepernick’s right to peacefully protest. It is one right that differentiates our country from many others.

The reality is, it was a good way for Kaepernick to highlight the issue of police brutality and racism. Had he organized a march of some sort it would’ve devolved into mayhem as outside groups seek to disrupt such marches.

In fact the coverage of Kaepernick’s peaceful protest was waning until Trump, the great uniter, using vulgar language brought it up in order to rally his supporters.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Sept. 10, 2018 11:54 a.m.

Nike's stock rose back to its all-time high today. Its sales are up 31%. I have personally bought a load of Nike products in the last few days.

• yoyolate Lewisville, TX
    Sept. 10, 2018 11:45 a.m.

It really irks me when people say things like "This disrespects everyone..." Everyone where? Everyone in your house? In your street? In your ward? Because it certainly does not disrespect me one bit.

If you do not understand the protestors, then you are as stubborn as Nephi brothers. It's been explained 100 times 100 different ways. It is a shame that political talk is not allowed in the quorum, else I would gladly explain it on Sundays, with illustrations and facts and figures, not just bombastic, fake, fictitious tweets.

In the last 3 months in the DFW area, 2 black men, and 1 teenager have been executed by police. And of course, I have to swallow the comment of a Stake leader saying that "they must have done something" which is a fairly common comment from those who "back the blue" blindly.

The latest execution case was a young man, minding his business inside his own apartment... when a white female cop tried to break into his apartment (she mistook it for her place) and proceeded to shoot him dead.

By the way, the next time you use an American Flag trunk, bathing suit, shoes, napkin, paper plate... remember you so called indignation for Nike and Kaepernick. Be consitent

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 11:26 a.m.

This outrage will not subside. I, and many I know, have vowed to never support any NFL product or Nike product again in our lifetimes.

• jo1952 Redmond, WA
    Sept. 10, 2018 10:39 a.m.

So, having a problem with Nike's canonization of Kaepernick makes me intolerant? I couldn't read the entire article because just the title turned my stomach. What he has done is perpetuate a false narrative that divides us, rather than brings us together. So yes, I have a problem with Nike exalting a cop hating anti-America millionaire and claiming he sacrificed everything. He might have sacrificed his career, because his talent wasn't worth the negativity he would bring to a team. But, I'm sure he didn't have to bury his dad, brother, sister, mother, son. daughter who chose to serve the public and was murdered by a black sniper who believed in the lie that Kaepernick wore on his socks, knees, and butt. Someone who perpetuates hate like Kaepernick does, shouldn't be rewarded for it. But I do wonder if this wasn't Nike's way of cementing themselves on the far left because of their perpetual use of children in sweat shops who get paid next to nothing to make very expensive shoes - when the poor child complains about the work they are forced to do, Nike tells them "just do it". Sacrifice everything for Nike.

• Dart Thrower Ogden, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 9:37 a.m.

Nike is a public company that can do whatever they want and I believe they are on the right side of history. Their stock is the leading DOW gainer this morning. Go ahead and shame them as their sales increase.

The author's choice of a headline that reads "testing the public's tolerance" tacitly asserts that the public is against this, but the fact of the matter is that Nike is on the right side of history. I talk to more and more people that are sick of Trump being the mayor of Crazy Town, and it is Trump that leads the finger pointing at NFL players, not "the public". I would imagine that if Nike were existence in 1955 and ran an ad with Rosa Parks standing in front of a bus, there would be a huge outcry, but with the perspective of six decades, virtually no one would be upset with that ad today. I predict the same for Kaepernick. The longer this goes on, the better he looks. And Nike also.

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    Sept. 10, 2018 9:14 a.m.

I’ve been an Adidas guy since my mama bought me a pair of Superstars for my 12th birthday in 1971. I won’t burn the few Nike articles that I own over Kaepernick, but it’s hard to understand a company that deliberately takes a political stand that it knows will annoy about half its targeted clientele. As far as I’m concerned, it’s Adidas forever.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 8:45 a.m.

"My kids are just getting started in sports and they will not be allowed to wear any Nike clothing until they move of the house and start making their own decisions."

And they will secretly buy Nike brands to rebel against your oppression.

Kaepernick and Nike win!

• Den Den West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 8:17 a.m.

He is definitely no Rosa Parks!

Nike lost another customer.

• JaneB Wilsonville, OR
    Sept. 10, 2018 7:32 a.m.

Nike knows exactly what it's doing. Always has. The ad is fantastic. Stock back up.

• BJMoose Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 6:23 a.m.

Not the public’s tolerance. The intolerant’s tolerance. Next up, burning Ford trucks.

• explorer686 davis, UT
    Sept. 10, 2018 12:24 a.m.

I am 100% on Nike side. I also sit down when the pledge or any American propaganda is displayed at any sporting events. This country could be great but, has not shown anything good in many decades.

• Selznik Saint George, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 11:13 p.m.

Counter Intelligence - You state “I also have the right to mock those who praise large left leaning corporations...”. Why is it necessary to mock any fellow human being? Certainly you have the right to discuss, to offer differing opinions, even to point out factual errors in someone’s statement. But mocking someone, belittling a fellow child of God, is not a Christian act.

• UtahBruinII Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 10:28 p.m.

@bluesman503
    “It is either a result of ignorance and stupidity that deprives one of the intellect necessary to see the facts as they are, or it is the result of racism.”

I’ll tell you what is the ignorance, stupidity, and lack of intellect.

It’s when people try to associate lets say their own lack of knowledge for racism, or even the idea that it is unfair for him to protest.

Let me straighten this out for all people who are having the same thought as you.

1) It is very much so a lack of Patriotism, not to stand for the national anthem. Go study the national anthem.

2) Nobody has ever said or tried to take away his freedom of speech. With this, I say go study peaceful protest. It is never on a companies dime, or in a platform of something else. It is organized, and done in the right place. If he were protesting the NFL or Football, then it would be the right place. But he is not.

Lastly, feel free to protest, feel free to bring awareness to your cause. Do it in your own time, not the NFL’s or mine. I don’t watch the NFL anymore, I don’t wear Nike anymore. And personally, I don’t agree with his reason at all. Sure it happens, but now blown way out of proportion.

• turbolover22 Logan, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 9:26 p.m.

I started buying Nike shoes in 1991 as a freshman in high school. I have never bought any shoes, shirts, socks, hats, etc... from any other sports brand except Nike during those 27 years.

I happened to buy a pair of Nike shoes the week before the announcement of this ad. I took them back the very next day after hearing this news and bought my first pair of shoes from another brand.

My kids are just getting started in sports and they will not be allowed to wear any Nike clothing until they move of the house and start making their own decisions. I was talking to my daughter about this decision and she mentioned that her friends parents are doing the same thing.

• turbolover22 Logan, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 9:12 p.m.

If Kaepernick thinks he has "sacrificed everything" he should actually sacrifice something. He should create a school in an underpriviliged area and set aside the money necessary to fund it. He could donate enough money that the interest alone could run the school for decades to come. He could actually do something useful to make a change.

He hasn't actually sacrificed anything until he dips into his pocketbook.

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 8:36 p.m.

Let's hear it for capitalism.

Despite sourcing their shoes in Southeast Asia, they are still high-end shoes, sometimes double the price point of other brands.

Who buys the Nike brand, despite the high price? Gen Y minority shoppers.

The details are in a study by economists entitled, "Conspicuous Consumption and Race."

The invisible hand of capitalism is behind the Kaepernick Campaign by Nike. Make no mistake. Veterans , policemen and conservatives are already NOT buying Nike.

And you thought Nike was making a bold sacrifice here.

• Whoisthisreally slc, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 11:06 a.m.

Go Nike $$.

How is Nike trying to use this to drive sales?
    What will be the answer of the "Court of Public Opinion".
    It seems NFL ratings are dropping. Will Nike sales also start tanking?

• Lucky Buck Ogden, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 10:25 a.m.

Nike has been using the "bad" behaving athlete for some time in ads. It seems the shock jock, rule breaking, poor sportsmanship representative has been rewarded. But not for long. Most of us who value what good sportsmanship stands for do not support, condone or buy products this kind of person represents. No more Nike anything in my home, I support those athletes who have earned their place through hard work and talent. Endorsement of their accomplishments is what is really important. This week has brought the ugly side of what some of the Nike athletes really represent. That is causing as much chaos and trouble in the name of race, pay, women suffrage and what ever band-wagon they can climb on. Nike's representatives (they chose them) Kapearnick and Williams seem to have the same agenda this week, and that is to put the inequality in sports message to as many as possible. They do nothing but hurt the sport. I am turning them both off, and looking forward to some great games where this kind of agenda is NOT celebrated.

• wishiwaswrong Sandy, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 9:14 a.m.

Anyone who thinks they can use their employer's time and platform to push their personal agenda without being fired is delusional. Give it a try when you go to work and see. And sniveling now because nobody wants to hire him shows just how clueless this guy is. If he really believes in his agenda he would take the inevitable consequences of his actions like a man.

• macnkat Riverton, UT
    Sept. 9, 2018 9:03 a.m.

I prefer companies to stay out of politics. I have bought Nike for years and will no longer support them. I know I am only one, but I don't think I'm unique.

• Birddog1 Baytown, TX
    Sept. 9, 2018 8:51 a.m.

Comparing Kaepernick’s crusade with Tiger’s infidelity is like comparing apples to Cadillacs. Nike will suffer needlessly. This remains a very poor marketing decision. If Nike’s ambition is get people talking about their company, it’s brilliant. If their goal is to sell athletic wear, it’s galactically stupid. Like so many Millennials, relativism is Kaepernick’s true religion. It doesn’t matter to these naive, young melon heads whether something is fundamentally right or wrong. To them it’s right if they believe it’s right. “Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything”? How about instead “ Believe in something, even if it’s wrong.“ Or how about this one, “Believe in something even if it’s offensive, stupid, and disrespectful.” Might as well say, “Believe in something even if it inspires hate and violence on law enforcement.” Millennials specifically need to grasp that truth and right are not relative: and no ... just because you believe it doesn’t make it right and certainly worth sacrificing everything for. Wasn’t it George Costanza that said, “It’s not a lie if you believe it.”

• P5Proud Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 8, 2018 10:38 p.m.

A beautiful ad that the kids will gobble up. Nike sales are booming and Kap will now and forever be a civil rights icon.

• bluesman503 south Jordan, Utah
    Sept. 8, 2018 8:44 p.m.

Kaepernick has been unfairly maligned for something he has never done. His protest was always about the killing of unarmed people of color and nothing else. He said so from the beginning. Without putting words in his mouth, my understanding is that he does not feel the promise of equality and opportunity this country supposedly stands for is not applicable to people of color. I agree with that sentiment. Simple logic dictates that if white privilege exist so to must a penalty for being a non-white.

He and those who have joined him are not disrespecting the flag, denigrating the country, or trying to divide us even farther than we already are. They are simply asking for the equality, opportunity, and treatment promised by the constitution and the bill of right. They have every right to take that stand, they have every right to expect and demand equal treatment under the law. Protesting their protest can come from only two places. It is either a result of ignorance and stupidity that deprives one of the intellect necessary to see the facts as they are, or it is the result of racism.

• Ms.W South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 8:21 p.m.

If Nike believes their ad is a noble cause, why bring up forgiveness? Anything that is truly noble does not require forgiveness from the public.

• Whoisthisreally slc, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 6:48 p.m.

Why would anyone value the opinion of an athlete, actor, singer or any other entertainer, above their own intelligent opinion??!!

• BobLivermore3 American Fork, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 6:46 p.m.

I love the add. Police violence against blacks is a major issue in some parts of the U. S. He is bringing attention to a worthy cause. What is taking a knee in a song compared to the loss of innocent lives?

• SteedGun Centerville, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 4:58 p.m.

There are certain lines you do not cross with me. Kaepernick crossed the line so he is nothing to me now. I will also never buy anymore Nike anything. I believe in something and it is not the same as Kaepernick.

Thank you all that serve or are serving.

God bless America.

• no comment South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 8, 2018 2:24 p.m.

"Believe in something even if it costs you everything". Kaepernick did, and it brought him millions from Nike. Alex jones believes in something too, and it cost him his twitter and Facebook accounts, essentially his livelihood. I don't support either of these extremists, but why should Nike fund one and not the other?

Maybe this is all about Nike politics and not about standing up for what you believe in?

• SuzViews Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 8, 2018 1:45 p.m.

While many comments here seem intent on ‘shooting the messenger’, another tragic loss of life has happened this week, ironically, the week when this controversial ad is set to run on national television.

“Man fatally shot by officer was a working professional, beloved church member - ABC News Morgan Winsor

The 26-year-old man who was killed by an off-duty Dallas police officer in an apartment she apparently confused for her own was a beloved member of a local church as well as an employee at a prestigious accounting and consulting firm, according to those who knew him.

Botham Jean was shot late Thursday when a patrol officer who lived in the same apartment complex south of downtown Dallas returned home from working a full shift and walked into ‘what she believed to be her apartment,’ according to Dallas Police Chief Renee Hall.

The officer, who is white, was still wearing her police uniform when she ‘encountered’ Jean, who was black, inside the apartment. It's unclear what the interaction was between them, but at some point she ‘fired her weapon, striking the victim,’ according to Hall.”

There comes a point when corrective action must follow thoughts and prayers.

• Waves MONTPELIER, ID
    Sept. 8, 2018 9:11 a.m.

I am an American Veteran. I have served with many who are now veterans, I stand shoulder to shoulder with every man and women who have served our country. All the way back to the first American patriot who fought to secure this great nation as a nation. Like any family we as a nation have lived through some difficult times as we struggled to mature as a people. But as any family nothing is gained by hacking at the foundations we call our home.
    As a disabled veteran, I have had the chance to see great people other then military contribute to our nation in the noble service of their daily lives. The rancher, farmer, Policemen and firefighter, the bag person at the checkout counter and all those who make life work in our country; They are no less a patriot as we who served in uniform; Nikes choice is insulting to all of us.
    On veterans day you remember us, the veterans, but I include you as the very fiber of our land, and I respect you with all my heart.
    Because of Nike's choices in advertisement, I will not ever buy anything Nike. My family joins me in this declaration. I don't like getting spit upon in the face by a company who's very wealth comes from many American dollars.

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    Sept. 7, 2018 4:46 p.m.

Colin Kaepernick is an ungrateful hypocrite.

He has been literally blessed with phenomenal wealth by Americans (Google shows his net worth to be $20M - $39.4M; those are the lowest figures I could find) and yet he criticizes the very same country that made him wealthy. How is this not ungrateful?

Then when he gets criticized for being a hypocrite he donated $1-2M. That's a lot of money but even if he donated $2M and he is only worth $20M, that's still only 10% of his wealth. I'm no math whiz but I know that 10% does not equal "everything". He wants thing to change but he refuses to give in a substantial manner to make things different. How is that not hypocritical?

I served 24 yrs and 16 days in the Air Force and even I didn't give "everything".

What is "everything"?

Why doesn't Colin and his liberal crowd go ask Pat Tillman?

Maj Dan Maloy, USAF (Ret)

• bemorefair MH, 00
    Sept. 7, 2018 1:54 p.m.

The biggest thing that bugs me about the ad is it clearly implies Kaepernick sacrificed everything because he took a knee. This is bothersome for two reasons.

1. It is absolutely absurd to say he sacrificed everything. No. He did not lose his life, and it is an insult to those that gave the ultimate sacrifice for our country - or even gave service to our country - to make him this man the face of ultimate sacrifice. Besides that, he already had millions of dollars, and now he is getting millions more for making this commercial. Sacrifice everything? Hardly.

2. Kaepernick litterally got fired from his job he loved so much, but not for taking a knee. Why couldn't he get another job? Depends on your point of view, but that is for the masses to debate. What is not debatable is prior to the knee-taking, he had already lost his starting job following poor performances and multiple injuries. He also has since had ample opportunities to prove himself, both in the NFL and CFL, and he chose not to pursue those opportunities.

• UtahBruinII Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 1:16 p.m.

@SMcloud
    "Peaceful protests are as American as apple pie. I support any peaceful protest because as an American it is my right to speak."

You are 100% correct! Just don't do it at work. A real employer will fire you. The problem is not his protest. The problem is his platform, and the fact he does absolutely nothing for his cause or agenda that he supposedly cares so much about outside of the TV cameras.

Peaceful protest is not organizing hate rallies, or walking onto a freeway to stop traffic, beating people up on the streets because of their skin color, or on a NFL football field.

A peaceful protest is organized and done in a park, in front of a state building, even a police station, etc. I have seen so many people do this, but I have never seen KP in a public protest format. It is all only when TV cameras are on.

• SMcloud Sandy, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 12:11 p.m.

Peaceful protests are as American as apple pie.

I support any peaceful protest because as an American it is my right to speak.

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 11:56 a.m.

I guess Nike is rolling with the 'any publicity is good publicity, as long as they spell your name right' gag

well I know how to spell Under Armour and Adidas and Puma etc etc and I know where to buy them as well.

see you Nike

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 11:32 a.m.

In reality, Nike's sneaker sales have been dropping precipitously and this is a desperate attempt to recapture the market by appealing to a certain demographic. It may back fire. Perhaps they should have appealed to families of police officers killed in the line of duty.

• UtahBruinII Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 10:50 a.m.

@robin138

"NFL players express themselves all the time during games, just watch the closeups after a play."

Expression of a sack, pick, great block, etc. Is not political. It's excitement, joy, determination, an expression of so called being in the zone, or in some cases, a gangster type look that makes them look silly, and more criminal than a player. Not even apples and oranges, this is more like apples and Mongolia. Laughable!

"I have supported Kaepernick's struggle to express himself since it started."

What struggles? Do you mean from his own silence, his t-shirts he wears since he won't talk, his girlfriends statements, what struggles.? The ones he doesn't make, while unemployed, ironic right? Or the ones he doesn't make off the field, only on? What struggles?

Lastly, nobody is against anybody, even this guy for his protest. Just don't do it during the anthem, and don't do it at work. They reason why people can't support this guy is because they know that if they ever did anything like this at work, they would be fired. But since we have a NFL commissioner with no character at all, he continues to allow the NFL to be a platform. Only problem is wrong place.

• robin138 springfield, VA
    Sept. 7, 2018 9:54 a.m.

I served in the USAF to protect the American Constitution which guarantees freedom of expression. NFL players express themselves all the time during games, just watch the closeups after a play. I have supported Kaepernick's struggle to express himself since it started. Just ordered a spare pair of Nike shorts and 2 spares of Nike socks for my daughter to wear in practice on her club team. She didn't really need them, but I did it to support Nike for taking a stand to support Kaepernick.

• UtahBruinII Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 9:39 a.m.

@Nuschler121

Keyword - "Expected" Wasn't guaranteed. The contract was $7M per year for two, $14M. Offer was made when he was still a 49'er. Before he was kneeling. Just sitting on the bench he made $39M, out of a possible $126M, and gave up $61M guaranteed he opted out of. Translation, he quit. It isn't about playing, he decided to be political. And, that $61M he would have received from the 49ers, due to his surgery. Big mistake.

Second, great scripture. I commend you for sacrificing your time in Africa. I didn't need to know your pay. You already said you were a Doctor/Medical Staff. Logic tells us you make decent $$$. To tell me how you live by a scripture passage and your service to the needy and how much you give up, and by the way this is all I get paid. Is that any different than CK's "Sacrificing Everything" ad statement? And, I didn't make it political. That was GaryO. I simply responded to his political comment and incorrect statements. Just providing accurate statements. I also didn't call any liberal lazy. I was being facetious in my previous comment of yellow. Thanks for your service in Vietnam, I wasn't in Vietnam, but we have our service in common.
    Regards,

• Nuschler121 Villa Rica, GA
    Sept. 7, 2018 7:42 a.m.

@UtahBruin

1) Colin was still under contract with the 49rs when Denver wanted to add Colin Kaepernick to its roster. John Elway wanted to pay Colin $7 mill over two years. Colin was expected to get $14.3 mill in 2016 and $14.7 mill w the 49rs which is one heck of a pay cut! $22 mill over two years!

Also the negotiation was actually over whether Colin was healthy enough to play after getting surgery for a torn labrum (shoulder) and repair of a tendon in his thumb.

Before anyone says that’s too high, Oakland Raiders’ Derek Carr signed a five-year, $125 million deal over the summer. That’s $25 mill a year.

2) Does political divisiveness have to be in a story about Nike and Kaepernick?

Calling all liberals lazy is a terrible comment! My team with Doctors Without Borders was embedded in West Africa where ebola has shown up again. Every doctor and every nurse had voted for Obama and for Mrs. Clinton. I FREQUENTLY would work up to 48 hrs in a row in a rubber suit with a hood/gloves losing 10-20# of sweat.

We MDs get $1700/mo. I also was in the Vietnam War in the 44th Medical battalion.

I know NO lazy liberals. I use Matthew 25: 36-40 to live. Helping the poor and sick,

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Sept. 7, 2018 7:26 a.m.

@ Thin Blue Line - , Sept. 6, 2018 11:49 a.m. - "If Kap were willing to donate all the proceeds he receives from Nike split evenly between police training as well as the victims of unwarranted police violence, I would have much more respect."

Yep, you got it.

Will it happen?

Nope.

• SuzViews Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 6, 2018 10:23 p.m.

I’m with John Brennen on this issue:

“Colin Kaepernick drew our collective attention to the problem of continued racial injustice in America. He did so not to disrespect our flag but to give meaning to the words of the preamble of our Constitution — ‘in order to form a more perfect union.’
    Well done, Colin, well done.”

The ad to me is inspirational. It highlights amazing accomplishments of many people & groups that have been demeaned, disparaged & demogauged in our current political climate.

Well done, Nike — well done.🎯

• Caddis Terry, MT
    Sept. 6, 2018 10:04 p.m.

Some below have compared and contrasted C Kaepernick and the Nike ad with MLK. Which is fine, except that MLK wasn't trying to sell shoes.

• Caddis Terry, MT
    Sept. 6, 2018 9:55 p.m.

Shame on Nike for using this polarizing issue to sell shoes.

• SIMPLICITY Denver, CO
    Sept. 6, 2018 9:25 p.m.

"sacrifice everything..."

Ah no. More like accept your backup role in the NFL or incite a campaign of egotism.

Sad, really sad.

• HSTucker Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 6:53 p.m.

Nike's favorability among adults has apparently dropped from 69 percent to 35 percent.

How appropriate.

• GrainOfSalt Draper, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 6:43 p.m.

Ah, CK's myth of social injustice and police brutality. The facts don't back the claim. On top of that, CK's portrayal of police as pigs, and at times sporting a Fidel Castro shirt shows CK be ignorant, hypocritical, or both. CK is anything but unifying. He's divisive, disrespectful and, IMO, a little fast and easy with the facts. ( He actually seems very ignorant of the facts. Go read the article Armando Salguero wrote about CK.) And this is my beef with Nike. It doesn't take much to figure out the truth. Nike wishes to perpetuate a divisive message using a disrespectful messenger. My wife and I have spent a lot of money on Nike gear as we have a large family. That changed this week. See you later Nike!

• ute alumni Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 6:21 p.m.

Sacrifice? What?
    Nike had him under contract. He couldn’t play football so they made up this phoney campaign.
    Pathetic.

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 5:41 p.m.

That Under Armour gear is looking better everyday

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 5:01 p.m.

Well, for all you who find it OK to 'take a knee' on the American anthem, and apparently to either not note, or to in my opinion show disrespect of the American flag yourself, or by athletes, to protest some supposed social injustices; like Kaepernick began, even if it won't affect Nike's prosperity or stock price (anyway) as some claim, me and the other 35 members of my family (me, my wife, and nine children, their seven spouses, and our 18 grandchildren, will abstain from purchasing anything Nike while the ad campaign continues. (I pledge to abstain from buying Nike's products, myself, forever)!

Kaepernick can express himself as he likes; Nike as they like; and me and 'my house', as we like!

• Instereo Eureka, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 4:57 p.m.

It's nice to see that Colin Kaepernick now has a corporate sponsor to support him in the first amendment. Maybe someday the first amendment might be as important as the second amendment.

• UtahBruin Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 3:22 p.m.

@Counter Intelligence
    "Kaepernick certainly has right to freedom of speech outside of work"

You hit the nail on the head. Very well said. "Outside of Work." Isn't it funny how CK made a big deal about it all and was in front of the mic, and media as much as possible while a NFL QB. Now that he is unemployed. Where is he? No where to seen. And now he is suing for collusion. Yet he turned down a NFL contract from the Denver Broncos. This guy doesn't want to work. He wants to be the lazy liberal he is.

Very well said.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 6, 2018 3:18 p.m.

Good for Kap! He believes in justice and freedom for ALL people. Congrats NIKE!

• UtahBruin Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 3:17 p.m.

@GaryO,
    "Nike stock initially took a bit of a hit, but it looks like it's coming back strong."

The stock not coming back strong, it is ending each day on the down trend. Again, these things are way to easy to find.

"Utah is ranked at the very bottom end for residents who join the military."

Again, it is to easy to find the facts. Utah actually ranks number 37 which is not a number per capita. So let's take into consideration population, and this is out of 50 states. Not 52 like your beloved Obama quoted. 37 of 50 is not at the bottom. Isn't it ironic also that 29 of the 37 states are Republican states who voted for our awesome president Trump. You see, we right siders defend and honor our country unlike the liberal yellow. Again, way to easy to find. By the way, Utah ranks #2 in civic involvement.

@Impartial 7
    "Like millions of black people and young kids that are afraid of the police"

You make it sound as if the police brutalize black people. This is so false and a false cry as well. All made up to draw attention. Again, to easy to find. Do the research.

• Harrison Bergeron Holladay , UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 3:17 p.m.

"Just Do It!" is passe now. A new more sjw slogan is needed:

Just sit on the bench, kneel during the anthem, get kicked off the team, act like a victim and then cash in.

This will be a fabulous message for young inner city kids. There will be no detrimental effects on society.

Sarcasm aside, this is just a symptom of a society that has lost it's moral direction. What was once good is now bad, what was once bad is now good. Officers who risk their lives are prosecuted, thugs who attack them are heroes. Soldiers who give life and limb are ignored, soldiers who desert are invited to the White House, etc., etc., etc.

• Husker2 Aurora, MN
    Sept. 6, 2018 3:12 p.m.

This ad will cause Nike sales to decrease among certain demographics and areas. However, it will likely cause Nike sales to improve in the very communities who would benefit most if Nike would manufacture their products in the United States.

• UtahBruin Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 2:58 p.m.

@ChiefGadianton

You need to do some more history research on the anthem and what brought it into sports. You are mistakingly wrong in your statement. The anthem is not an ad.

@Moderate
    "Nike is a world-wide brand. They will weather the small storm of the vocal minority."

Nike presence is as close to zero as you can get all throughout Europe. Adidas owns that country market base. Nike is slim to none. As far as a South American influence I cannot be quite as sure, but I would venture that Nike's presence is slim down there as well.

@Dart Thrower
    "No, it will not economically hurt Nike. Their stock is up over the last two days."

This ad dropped on Monday the 3rd, Nike stocks were at 82.18 at close the previous Friday, today at close on the 6th, they are at 80.41, with a high since Friday of 80.66. In my math, that is a drop, in the market a significant one at that. Its had a low of 79.01. Can't throw out things that are to easy to see. And

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    Sept. 6, 2018 2:54 p.m.

BYUalum wrote,

"I shudder to think what would have happened if SHE had won!"

The soybean farmers--you know, the ones who expected to sell their product to China, but who now know that China is buying from Canada instead because of the retaliatory tarrifs--would beg to differ.

On the other hand, the CEO of Carrier, who used the grants from the state of Indiana to automate his plant--that means, same production with fewer workers--is doing very well, and is profoundly grateful to Mr. Trump.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 2:47 p.m.

I do not get to engage in politics at my place of employment - not sure why multi-million dollar NFL players do; So I do not have much sympathy for Kaepernick's "sacrifice everything" (which still leaves him with about 20 million more dollars than i have) .

However; Kaepernick certainly has right to freedom of speech outside of work - so do I.

Yet, as left wing critics routinely claim - free speech is not free of consequences. So I have the right to ignore Nike and other insufferably condescending corporations (which is not really a problem, since i already do).

I also have the right to mock those who praise large left leaning corporations for having a "corporate conscience" (which agrees with SJW bias) but are quick to condemn small christian businesses for having a conscience that is contrary to SJW fundamentalism.

Such hypocrites are a mirror of intolerance - not an alternative

• Misty Mountain Kent, WA
    Sept. 6, 2018 2:28 p.m.

I wonder if the authors of this piece could be a little more clear about what they mean by "controversy". Kaepernick is protesting the discriminatory police brutality toward minority citizens. Do you believe that this is the "wrong" way to protest or to effect change? If so, could you tell us what you consider the more proper way? And could you also cite examples of how protesting more "properly" has, historically, gotten better results?

Or do the people who are opposing Kaepernick's actions think that there is no discriminatory behavior by police? Or, more ominously, do they think that yes, there is plenty of discriminatory behavior by police, but no, this isn't a problem because they're not black?

• Chessermesser West Valley City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 2:28 p.m.

The flag means something, Colin. Too bad you don’t understand that.

No matter what your message or gripe, you picked the wrong place and time to do this.

99% of Americans would get fired for doing something like this at work. Apparently you too were fired from the NFL, but you still created a mess and distracted people from your message. AND now you get rewarded by Nike?

Stupid people in positions of power.

I suggest all of you who support this disrespect to our flag should talk to some veterans. Most of us are not happy with you, Colin.

The disrespect for what is good and right just seems to get trampled under more and more today.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Sept. 6, 2018 2:16 p.m.

@Impartial7

Colin has not "sacrificed everything" for his actions. For that reason alone, it's disingenuous for Nike to print an ad that states that he has. It's also a slap in the face to those Americans who have sacrificed everything — including their lives — to protect this nation and all of its people.

Whatever good Colin Kaepernick has done is being "drowned out" by hyperbole and a company whose ads seek to divide us.

• Laura Bilington Maple Valley, WA
    Sept. 6, 2018 2:03 p.m.

BYUalum wrote,

"[Trump has been] getting rid of needless regulations.."

I've read posts by you before which make this claim, but never with any details. Can you please give us an example or two of some of these "needless" regulations which Trump has gotten rid of?

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 1:52 p.m.

Believe in what?
    What has he sacrificed?
    This shows how the liberal-left really thinks.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 1:18 p.m.

I am one who totally supports President Donald Trump, who as an outsider in Washington, D.C., has done more to expose the corruption in the Deep State than anyone in history. I shudder to think what would have happened if SHE had won! President Trump has done more for this country in job creation, lowering the unemployment, lowering the people on welfare and food stamps, getting rid of needless regulations, strengthening the military, and promoting a strong international presence (NK for one) than any other before him.

CK is making far more money now than he ever would have in the NFL. Sadly, Nike will probably benefit from the exposure. There are many of us who are disgusted by this move. We respect the American Flag and our National Anthem at any and all events! "Pigs on socks" will probably be their next product line.

God bless America and our great President! I pray for him every day!

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 1:11 p.m.

@rvalens2 - Burley, ID
    Sept. 6, 2018 12:03 p.m.
    Nike used the wrong words for the Colin Kaepernick ad. They should have been:
    "Believe in something — besides yourself."

Yeah. Like millions of black people and young kids that are afraid of the police. How about you read up on the millions of dollars that Kaepernick donates to charity? This is, and never was about disrespecting our flag or our military. It's about bringing attention to long standing social injustice issues. Trump turned it into something else- as usual. Trump is still mad at the NFL for denying him ownership of an NFL team in the 1980's.

• FT salt lake city, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 12:56 p.m.

@Military Mom really summarizes this things quite well. Nike won't be hurt at all by this ad and they feel confident enough it will help with their loyal consumers. Trump on the other hand continues to be an embarrassment to patriotic Americans.

• Juice Box Eureka, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 12:49 p.m.

Glyz60 - Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 12:32 p.m.
    Buying several pairs of Nike this weekend, especially now. A company that truly understands the what the fight for freedom is about ... for everyone in the USA. Excellent commercial and message.

----

Try explaining to a widow who lost their spouse in active service what the fight for freedom is really about. I doubt a Nike ad has anything over what they've experienced.

• Glyz60 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 12:32 p.m.

• Hoosier87 American Fork, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 12:29 p.m.

Someone tell me why put Kaepernick in an advertisement to begin with. Clearly Nike is making a political statement (and let me see if I know what that statement is):

1. Police are evil and pigs (Kap wore the socks depicting policeman as pigs)

2. Police will kill you if you are black

3. Kneeling during the anthem because America is a bad place and unjust

4. Che Guevara is good and someone the youth of America should want to emmulate (he wore a shirt with his face prominenlty on it during a press conference)

5. Mediocre football player and not good enough to be in the NFL

I happen to agree with NONE of those things (except no.5). Nike is getting into this fight because they want to make a political statement. And for that reason, I choose to buy Under Armour instead.

Subway's market share has dropped DRAMATICALLY because of it's association with Jared (who is now in prison) - so I anticipate a similar trajectory for Nike. The NFL ratings are way down - and will continue to drop, and so will Nike.

Liberals are funny; becaues Trump is against kneeling, they must be for it!

• GaryO Virginia Beach, VA
    Sept. 6, 2018 12:21 p.m.

"Nike's controversial bet on Kaepernick has millennial investors piling into the stock (NKE)" - Business Insider

Hey Kralon -

Re: "This ad is disrespectful to all those who have given their lives in the service of others and I do not support it."

No it doesn't. The ad shows deserved disrespect to the Putin puppet in the White House and his loyal minions, and I support it.

And isn't it interesting how Utah Trump supporters are now whining about selflessness and public service, when Utah is ranked at the very bottom end for residents who join the military. And President Bone Spurs? . . . What has he done aside from betraying our nation and bringing our country down?

. . . I think I'll go out and buy some new shoes.

• military mom Herriman, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 12:16 p.m.

As the wife of a soldier and mother of three, I am far more offended by an amoral, dishonest commander in chief hugging the flag and calling it patriotism than I am by a peaceful protest that draws attention to a very real problem.

• Aggielove Caldwell, ID
    Sept. 6, 2018 12:14 p.m.

God bless our troops who served and serve now.

• Den Den West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 12:11 p.m.

Nike who?

• Dart Thrower Ogden, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 12:08 p.m.

No, it will not economically hurt Nike. Their stock is up over the last two days. I think what lies behind this is a bet by Nike that there are fewer and fewer people who support Trump and his extreme views. The inverse it that there are more people who look at Nike favorably for this ad campaign.

Having said that, I find all these boycotts exhausting. I can't remember if I can have an In-N-Out burger, for example..

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 12:06 p.m.

It's rather situational. Like if you're in a competition with a dozen other companies, taking a controversial line that makes 30% love you and 30% hate you can be beneficial.

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    Sept. 6, 2018 12:03 p.m.

Nike used the wrong words for the Colin Kaepernick ad. They should have been:

"Believe in something — besides yourself."

It would have been much better received than using the word "sacrifice."

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 11:55 a.m.

This is a whole different kind of lowness than Tiger Wood's affairs. I personally will look for any other brand than Nike when I make future purchases - and it has everything to do with Kapernick's classlessness! Moreover, Nike products are way OVER PRICED. I hope NIKE loses their shirt over standing by this loser!

• Thin Blue Line ,
    Sept. 6, 2018 11:49 a.m.

• Really!? Logan, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 11:43 a.m.

I have purchased Nike brand shoes in the past, but I will not be purchasing them anymore. I will look to buy Adidas or other brands.

• Seldom Seen Smith Orcutt, CA
    Sept. 6, 2018 11:42 a.m.

Sacrificing everything, give me a break. Like participating in a made up pretend activity is some sort of holy and profound benefit to mankind. Get a real job.

Could my interest in pop culture fall any farther. Probably so.

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    Sept. 6, 2018 11:37 a.m.

It's a pretty far stretch to suggest that the damage will do harm to society. Just because it offends people, and can thus be labeled 'divisive' does not demonstrate harm. MLK was divisive, but not harmful (importantly, I'm not saying Kaepernick is on the level of MLK, he's just a good example that offending people and causing divisiveness does not necessarily lead to societal harm).

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 11:35 a.m.

• esodije ALBUQUERQUE, NM
    Sept. 6, 2018 11:21 a.m.

Adidas forever...

• Rubydo Provo, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 11:05 a.m.

Nike is willing to sacrifice everything including their worth and brand name by exalting an America hating football thrower. Social justice is more important than profits, that’s a new one.

• BJMoose Syracuse, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 10:54 a.m.

I’ve never been a consumer of Nike products but will be sure and purchase something made by them in support of this noble cause.

• gadiantonchief Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 10:34 a.m.

This whole controversy shows just how silly people in this country are, especially over patriotism. Just silly. It's like they'll look for anything to be outraged about. Well guess what, folks, the anthem was brought into the starting of sporting events to sell tickets. It was, is and will continue to be used as a marketing ploy, so there you have it. The anthem ITSELF is an ad.

• Rocket Science Brigham City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 10:28 a.m.

Nike missed the point of Sacrifice. It is not someone offered a 7 million $ contract with Denver to then snub your nose at it.

Try Pat Tillman who walked away from the NFL to go to Afganastan and fight. Pat Tillman gave all Mr Kapernick is getting millions for nothing but hi picture.

• gee-en Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 10:24 a.m.

I don't love it when a corporation chooses one side over another in just about any political type issue.
    I think Nike is making a mistake choosing this has-been as the "face" of it's products, but what do I know...they can do whatever they want.
    I do know that I have a lower opinion of Nike now and am less likely to support that brand.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Sept. 6, 2018 10:16 a.m.

"sacrificing everything"?

I really wouldn't have had much of a problem with Nike and Kaepernick, but, it is the use of that phrase, "sacrifice everything", that bothers me.

If 30 year old, multimillionaire Kaepernick (supposedly worth $20 million now plus more to come from Nike) thinks he has sacrificed everything, he is truly clueless. If Nike thinks that Kaepernick has sacrificed everything, they are totally out of touch with reality.