Ute Insiders podcast: Are the Utes walking into a trap at Northern Illinois?

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Sept. 7, 2018 11:58 p.m.

"Our starting O was responsible for merely 1 TO, when our O-Line caved in on TH just as he was throwing in the 1st quarter."

Context is everything - that was against a 1AA team when the starting Utah OL was fresh in the 1st quarter.

I do think Utah will win tomorrow, the defense seems to be absolutely legit, but call a spade a spade - the offense just isn't that good. Against Weber Huntley got a QBR on ESPN of 44, he should have had minutes to throw and should have been upwards of 60 on his rating.

I think it's same old same old for Utah offense - but the defense seems to be amazing.

I'm not writing this to criticize Utah, I'll be cheering them on tomorrow - however as a guy who'd like Utah football to truly be elite, I'm not sure sweeping things under the rug is a wise plan. the Utah offense remains a problem, TT is relying on a dual threat QB rather than using his play book (we all saw what happened to BYU when the OC tried to change culture and didn't have his dual threat QB) and TT isn't the issue, it's KW who is overall an amazing HC but has had an Achilles heel all along and needs to allow his offense to be elevated by somebody - you can't blame 10 different OCs.

• Husker2 Aurora, MN
    Sept. 7, 2018 5:55 p.m.

If Michigan St can almost lose at home to Utah St, then Utah can certainly lose playing at Northern Illinois.

• Blue Rampage Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 8:03 a.m.

I can't think of many things that would make the weekend more wonderful than to see Utah lose to Northern Illinois and then watch BYU beat its second Pac 12 team in two weeks. What a nice start to football season.

• UoU 1991 Park City, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 7:23 a.m.

Sooner Ute

"scanner - "Utah defense is a B+."
    Utah is number 1 in the nation in Total Defense Statistics.
    What do they have to do to earn an A?"

Do that against a team with a pulse, like we'd advise BYU fans if they were bragging about being a national stats leader after only beating one terrible 1-AA team.

• AZUTE1 Mesa, AZ
    Sept. 6, 2018 6:59 p.m.

“The offense was fine running the plays. The issue was 4 turnovers.“

However, we had far too many dropped passes, including 4 in the 1st half alone.

• CO Ute Chandler, AZ
    Sept. 6, 2018 6:21 p.m.

Utah offense stats vs Weber State.

25 first downs.
    319 passing yards.
    268 rushing yards.
    Just shy of 600 total yards.
    41 points on the board.

The offense was fine running the plays. The issue was 4 turnovers. Get the ball security issue under control and don’t drop so many passes. Offense could have had over 600 yards.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 6:19 p.m.

No. Trap games happen against opponents that are better than you think they are. I think NIU is who Utah thinks they are and this is another scrimmage before Udub next week.

I also agree with my friend, Real Ute, who's concerns about Huntley and Utah's offense are justified with history on his side. It's hard to watch Huntley sometimes...it's literally frustrating. He's not consistent, and he's not a great passer, and there's nothing to this point in his career to mitigate those concerns (unless you think performance against Weber means something).

Utah's best passer is 3rd on the depth chart, so that's good considering depth. Tuttle will lead Utah (at some point in his career) to their first conference championship. I believe that because in a QB league like the PAC12, he's the only QB Utah has with the skill set to ultimately take them there. Huntley will always fall short; too inconsistent. Just my 2 cents.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 5:01 p.m.

Real Ute:
    "I jumped on CAL +3.5 points BIG TIME at BYU. That is a true "trap game" by every measure and the line isn't correct."

I figured you would...that's a pretty generous line. But Cal is so unpredictable...hard to get a read on that so I laid off it.

Stringer Bell to RealUte:
    "I believe the season will prove you wrong on the Ute's offense and Huntley's passing. Huntley can pass it well, IF, the WR's hold onto the ball, which I believe they will.

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 5:01 p.m.

scanner - "Utah defense is a B+."
    Utah is number 1 in the nation in Total Defense Statistics.
    What do they have to do to earn an A?

• scanner Tooele, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 4:35 p.m.

I believe that Utah will improve their O and their D.Their offense is a C+ and their defense is a B+. It would help if they had a big fullback like Asiata. Anyway go Utes.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 6, 2018 12:29 p.m.

@ Stringer Bell,

I want to be proved "wrong" kind sir. I love the U of U more than you by a long-shot. I know what I witnessed and I wasn't impressed with Huntley and the O-scheme. Our D is just soooooooo good as you know.

Please honor my opinion, as I do yours!

Gooooooo Utes!

• SoonerUte Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 11:57 a.m.

It could be a trap if the first game of the season, but Kyle noted that the NIU-Iowa score was 3-0 midway into the third quarter. That has the Utes' attention. Plus NIU was a Big 12 expansion candidate, so the Utes understand NIU's desire to make their mark against a P5 school. Nobody is taking them for granted.

"QDiesel wonders why Utah is agreeing to play this team on the road."
    There was a recent article about it being cheaper to play the home and home rather than buy a one and done. NIU made a smart deal - play at your house first, and set the buyout price higher than 80K.

• Stringer Bell Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 10:58 a.m.

Real Ute: "Utah's offense isn't very good. I saw soooooo many issues and Tyler Huntley won't be allowed to run the read-option. He gained very little weight this offseason and Utah coaches don't wanna risk big hits to Huntley. Plus, Huntley cannot pass it well.......that may change? Utah's O-line is just awful and not in synch. Utah's defense is absolutely unreal.......easy top five in the nation this year".

You should know that a first game of the season against an opponent such as WSU, the Utes wern't going to show much. We'll probably see a little more this week in preparation for the real game, against Washington.

• Jackie Treehorn St George, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 10:14 a.m.

The insistence that this is a trap game is insulting to this team. Do you not think Utah is better than Iowa who manhandled them despite all the first half mistakes they made? -10 is easy money.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 6, 2018 7:38 a.m.

Utah will be ready; too good of a team to lose to NIU.

• Musketman Stansbury Park, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 7:03 a.m.

I am a BYU fan and I believe. That the only way NIU scores in this game, is the same way Weber did. The Utah offense! The Utah offense will have enough mistakes, that NIU will score around 10-13 points(by losing the ball too close to NIU's endzone). Utahs defense, on the other hand, will enable the offense to make these mistakes against the lesser competition. With out suffering a loss. But Utah's offense better get their act together, by the time Wash comes to town.

• DoubleJ Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 1:18 a.m.

There's no way the Utes lose this one. The Weber State game showed some weaknesses, which Kyle and squad are already working on. Things will tighten up and N. Illinois will be a good win to get them ready to compete against Washington in week 3. Excited to see if this year's team can take advantage of a wide open south division.

• bluesmule Sandy, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 10:59 p.m.

Come on, there's no way a Kyle Whittingham team with this much talent loses to these guys. They might not look good, but I would imagine it would be because they are trying to work out some kinks for Washington. Utah wins by 3 scores.

• QDiesel SLC, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 10:45 p.m.

I have no idea why Utah is agreeing to play this team on the road or playing teams like Weber State at all. If you don't win these types of games easily, people think there is something wrong with your team and if you lose, your stock goes way down and everybody will remember a loss to a mid major or lower tier team like Weber State or Northern Illinois.

• CO Ute Chandler, AZ
    Sept. 5, 2018 8:52 p.m.

I struggle with anyone posting under the name of “Real XYZ”. By your previous comments you aren’t a fan of the Cougars but I am “real skeptical” about your posts.

Utes offense looked fine after the first couple of drives. Defense is good but a top 5 is a stretch after playing one game against a lower division opponent.

• MichiganUte90 Richland, MI
    Sept. 5, 2018 8:40 p.m.

Weather permitting, the game will be well attended. There’s a bit of play out here about the first PAC team visiting Huskie Stadium. Most of the reserved seating West Side is sold out. The East Side is General Admission where the students sit. This is NIU’s first home game and apparently there’s some band competition to take place.

My posse of 4 will be at the game cheering the Utes. The only problem is that I never have physically been at a Utah football game where they won. It been almost 30 years that I had been to a game until.....

I went to a game in Salt Lake in 2016. Utah lost in what has been billed as its worst loss in the PAC-12 era....against a 3 - 7 Oregon team (that lost the following week to the bottom feeding Beavers).

NIU’s greatest asset in the game will be in Section E, 17 rows up.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 5, 2018 6:31 p.m.

Utah's offense isn't very good. I saw soooooo many issues and Tyler Huntley won't be allowed to run the read-option. He gained very little weight this offseason and Utah coaches don't wanna risk big hits to Huntley. Plus, Huntley cannot pass it well.......that may change? Utah's O-line is just awful and not in synch. Utah's defense is absolutely unreal.......easy top five in the nation this year.

Goooooooo Utes!

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 5, 2018 6:23 p.m.

I am having a hard time taking Utah -10.5 at NIU. Something about that line is very spooky indeed. I jumped on CAL +3.5 points BIG TIME at BYU. That is a true "trap game" by every measure and the line isn't correct.

Goooooooo Utes!