Colin Kaepernick's Nike deal prompts flurry of debate

• Betcha Waltham, MA
    Sept. 8, 2018 9:16 a.m.

Money talks,,, if you want to make a difference, stop buying the product, Don't try and compare Tiger Woods with Kapernikie, Tiger woods did not slap in the face our Military, our service men and woman , Tiger just showed that he has no character or morals, But What Kapernikie did and what he continues to do, is disrespectful to our Country, and to every one that has lost their lives in defending our freedoms...I can make my voice heard by not buying there products.

• Dan Maloy Enid, OK
    Sept. 7, 2018 4:37 p.m.

Colin Kaepernick is an ungrateful hypocrite.

He has been literally blessed with phenomenal wealth by Americans (Google shows his net worth to be $20M - $39.4M; those are the lowest figures I could find) and yet he criticizes the very same country that made him wealthy. How is this not ungrateful?

Then when he gets criticized for being a hypocrite he donated $1-2M. That's a lot of money but even if he donated $2M and he is only worth $20M, that's still only 10% of his wealth. I'm no math whiz but I know that 10% does not equal "everything". He wants thing to change but he refuses to give in a substantial manner to make things different. How is that not hypocritical?

I served 24 yrs and 16 days in the Air Force and even I didn't give "everything".

What is "everything"?

Why doesn't Colin and his liberal crowd go ask Pat Tillman?

Maj Dan Maloy, USAF (Ret)

• utahcoyote Saint George, UT
    Sept. 7, 2018 1:55 p.m.

@Baron Scarpia - Logan, UT

"Brilliant move! Who buys NIKE products? Young people and minorities -- both target audience are overwhelming anti-Trump (and Trump hasn't been kind to them either). "

my gym is overwhelmingly white and upper middle class. would guess well over half the males are wearing nikes of some kind. lots of the poorer folks can't afford them. its delusional to think that nike isn't as mainstream as it gets when you are talking athletic foot wear/

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 6, 2018 7:44 a.m.

Uteology - East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 5, 2018 8:54 p.m.

@Spokane

I can't remember an athlete doing more to divide this country than Kaepernick. Then again; Lebron James is right on his heals.

-----

Mohammad Al
    Tommie Smith And John Carlos
    The Syracuse 8
    The Wyoming 14
    Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf
    ------
    The difference is; they United the County; didn't divide it. Which of these wore socks that said Cops are Pigs and a Fidel Castro T-shirt to work? Which of these were raised by an affluent white family? Share with the crowd Buddy.

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Sept. 5, 2018 10:10 p.m.

I wouldn't have had much of a problem with Nike and Kaepernick teaming up, just another business decision. But, then I saw their first ad which said Kaepernick "sacrificed everything" and that lit me up!

Supposedly, Kaepernick has at least $20 million from his playing days. Maybe Kaepernick could explain, besides the U.S., what nation in the world would he have saved that much money at such a young age?

Nike and Kaepernick have no clue about Americans who have really "sacrificed everything". Men and women in service of others such as military, law enforcement, fire fighters, EMT's, etc. who have lost their lives in service of others.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 5, 2018 8:54 p.m.

@Spokane

-----

Mohammad Al
    Tommie Smith And John Carlos
    The Syracuse 8
    The Wyoming 14
    Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Sept. 5, 2018 5:14 p.m.

A second comment. I was recently walking around in a third world country and someone approached me about going and visiting a brothel.

It gave me a feeling of darkness that I struggled with for awhile.

It made me reflect. Most of us move around in the shiny, happy part of society. We see people at the store, we talk to people at the office, etc, etc.

Police officers have to deal with the shady part of society. There is danger, but even when there isn't danger they have to deal with all the shady stuff that probably weighs on themand gives them something like the darkness that I was dealing with and that happens for them an awful lot more than it does with me.

So, I am thankful for them for bearing that burden so that we don't have to.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Sept. 5, 2018 5:11 p.m.

Colin Kapernick has a valid concern about people being shot by police. The American dream reflected by the flag has not reached everyone.

I think that the cause of the problem is that police departments are like any other organization. They are going to have values and if the management is good and ethical, then those values are going to be at play and will be practiced. If the management is not good and ethical, then the organizations will only be going through the motions of practicing what they preach.

Don't ever argue that morals are relative. Do you want a policeman who pulls you over to be thinking "This person has a family and friends that he/she wants to go home to?" instead of, "I have a bunch of rules that I need to follow so I don't get into trouble."

I don't like Nike shoes. The laces seem slippery and always come undone.

If Trump wants to respect the flag then he might try to be a shining example of integrity and values.

• C2rufus Venice, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 4:27 p.m.

You can protest all you want about anything you want but disrespecting the flag and the U.S. is not the way. Men and women died so this jerk could disrespect the flag and our country. If he had any b---- why not ride with the police for a day. They put their life on the line every day even for jerks like him. They would be the first one to help even him if called. Or I guess he could the kneelers to help. What is the number for the NFL in an emergency? Punt?

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 5, 2018 3:20 p.m.

Squirtle - ,
    Sept. 5, 2018 3:09 p.m.

@SpokaneUte

Actually you still might be confused.

Kap has the right to protest. Niners have a right to fire him.
    Nike has a right to hire him.
    You have the right to not buy Nike.
    You also have the right to not agree with the way in which he wanted to bring to light what he felt was unfair and unprovoked violence by some police against individuals just because of the color of their skin.

I have the right to respect his rights as long as he doesn’t break the law.

There, cleared things up.
    ----
    Well, done; but make no mistake, I was never confused on the issue. Have a great afternoon.

• Squirtle ,
    Sept. 5, 2018 3:09 p.m.

@SpokaneUte

Actually you still might be confused.

Kap has the right to protest. Niners have a right to fire him.
    Nike has a right to hire him.
    You have the right to not buy Nike.

I have the right to respect his rights as long as he doesn’t break the law.

There, cleared things up.

• always curious Portland, OR
    Sept. 5, 2018 2:53 p.m.

If you criticise Colin Kaepernick for his non-violent protest of policing then you must also hold President Trump to the same standard. It seems that every Sunday morning we awake to a new tweet with his criticism of the Judicial Department. Why is that Trump can protest his perceived mistreatment by the Judicial Department but the former quarterback cannot protest police brutality of others. If you argue that Kaepernick has not earned the right to protest because he has not sacrificed, I ask, what has Trump sacrificed? If you argue that the anthem is not the place for this protest then where, when, how? The anthem is a symbol of the American struggle for justice. What right do we have to limit non-violent protest of those seeking a more secure pursuit of life, liberty, happiness.

• John Jackson Sandy, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 2:49 p.m.

To read some of the comments, Nike's customer base already was among the liberals. I'm doubting that. People don't normally buy shoes based on their politics.

• fatherof7 Hurricane, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 2:19 p.m.

The cause may be just but disrespecting the flag is not. Was ready to replace my worn out Nike's with new ones. Nope!!

• cthulhu_fhtagn Seattle, WA
    Sept. 5, 2018 2:04 p.m.

@imsmarterthanyou

"I think he should have been fired from all jobs and forced to permanently move out of the United States."

Not a fan of that whole 1st amendment thing, I see.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 5, 2018 1:32 p.m.

Squirtle - ,
    Sept. 5, 2018 12:57 p.m.

Interesting that many people will not buy Nike in protest to a player that took a knee in protest. Confusing.
    ---------
    Not really; one protest is while being paid; while working for an employer. One is not. I hope that helps.

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 1:12 p.m.

I think he should have been fired from all jobs and forced to permanently move out of the United States. I will NEVER purchase anything he endorses. I threw out my last nike's and will not be buying more.

• Spangs Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 1:06 p.m.

"Remember when liberals were upset with Nike because of their sweatshops, support of Walmart in the fight against unionization and their overall anti-union stance. Now they love Nike for pure political sensationalization. My how times have changed!"

- sweatshops: bad
    - anti-union policies: bad
    - supporting an athlete who is protesting police violence against black people: good

Yep, Sanefan, that's a pretty consistent philosophy. The only thing that has changed with the times are who the bad actors are. Nike deserves criticism for the first two, and praise for the third. Companies, like people, can be both good and bad.

• Squirtle ,
    Sept. 5, 2018 12:57 p.m.

• Justmythoughts Provo, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 12:40 p.m.

I will never purchase another Nike product.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 12:39 p.m.

Well, Lou you are exactly right. Remember when liberals were upset with Nike because of their sweatshops, support of Walmart in the fight against unionization and their overall anti-union stance. Now they love Nike for pure political sensationalization. My how times have changed!

• Husker2 Aurora, MN
    Sept. 5, 2018 11:55 a.m.

The Nike ad says: "Believe in something, even if it means losing everything"

Kaepernick has not lost "everything". Many of the men and women who carry the flags before NFL games have lost far more than Kaepernick...and he refuses to stand for them.

• Thomas Jefferson Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 11:16 a.m.

RiDal said:

""Believe in something, even if it means losing everything" is exactly what every suicide bomber has acted out."

Which is patently untrue.
    Every suicide bomber has had one thing they were sure of. "God wants me to do this".

Sounds like every republican candidate (and most dems) running for office.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 5, 2018 10:49 a.m.

So we compare a guy who kneels respectfully during the anthem to protest unjustified police killings to a suicide bomber? Well done. Thoughtful. The posters on Breitbart would welcome this kind of thinking with open arms.

• Anti Bush-Obama , 00
    Sept. 5, 2018 10:45 a.m.

Let him do what he wants. If you don't like it, don't endorse it. But when I hear about people talk about censorship, you are no better than the big tech companies who silence people in the name of fighting the russians

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    Sept. 5, 2018 9:44 a.m.

You are burning your Nike shoes?

Now that is funny!

Remember when liberals were all up set about Nike sweatshops in Thailand?
    Remember how conservatives laughed at liberal because they exposed Nike?

My how times have changed.

• Harrison Bergeron Holladay , UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 9:41 a.m.

“Nike: the best shoes for taking a knee and sitting on the bench!”

“Cut from the team? Wear Nike!”

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 9:23 a.m.

People should boycott the Trump hotels. Helsinki was a real failure to respect our country.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 8:57 a.m.

I just purchased a pair of Nike shoes. Grateful for those who protest awful things.

• ~Rico~ Simi Valley, CA
    Sept. 5, 2018 8:48 a.m.

@PacificCreek and @8 in a row!

Kaepernick's charitable activities and contributions are readily available on-line if you are interested enough to perform a Google search.

Those contributions include $1.0 Million to various organizations and the donation of all proceeds from the 2016 sales of his jersey. Plus he has been and is active in the giving of his time.

How do your charitable activities and contributions stack up?

• pragmatistferlife Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 8:24 a.m.

Common Sense.."And as far as how to act when an officer of the law detains you-- simple- comply. Shouldn't be too much training needed there."

Until that isn't enough, which is the point of the protest.

The myriad of videos showing black men beaten, shot in the back, choked to death, detained etc. all the while with their hands in the air. The countless stories from prominent black men of sheer harassment simply because of their color. Henry Lewis Gates was arrested in his own home..a black man in Cambridge.

The protest and facts are in no way a condemnation of "law enforcement". They are however proof that a certain segment of society are routinely treated differently because of who they are.

What the protest represent are a matter of opinion and point of view. The facts that underlie the protest are not a matter of opinion.

• TMR Pasadena, CA
    Sept. 5, 2018 8:07 a.m.

I have been personally boycotting Nike for years due to their sweatshop practices in developing countries.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 7:53 a.m.

Think about this: Where are Nike shoes made (mostly) ?
    Who is Trump placing tariffs on ?
    Do we think Nike has a profit incentive to support all issues that are in conflict with Trump's "bring manufacturing back to America" policies ?
    These money/politics things are all connected, and you can easily predict who will support what.

• Thomas Jefferson Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 7:52 a.m.

In my opinion the one thing to be learned from this is that faux news 'conservatives' will believe anything that the radio says...even in direct opposition to reality.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 7:48 a.m.

• don jackson Atlanta, GA
    Sept. 5, 2018 7:30 a.m.

This is all about money. Nike losing market share to Adidas in the midwest and shifted strategy to strengthen the west & east coasts markets, where more consumers lean to the left in their political views. Colin knew his NFL career was disappearing and needed to be relevant to make money, he started a new career as a "social warrior" by knelling. The issue is how incompetent the NFL commissioner Roger Goodell is in dealing these protests. Fans watch the NFL to watch pro football not to see players express their opinion. The fact is employers need to make sure their product /service is unbiased and appeals to everyone with purchasing power. Everyone has 1st amendment rights but when & where expressing those rights are limited based on what the employer dictates. This is all started with shouts of police brutality and ends up about making money. The real social problems are never solved because the media, celebrities, and now companies distract from truly solving social issues.

• P5Proud Santa Monica, CA
    Sept. 5, 2018 7:19 a.m.

Let’s see, Now I have to buy TWO pair this fall. One for myself to support this wonderful athlete and American and one to cover a poster who is staging a protest that won’t work. Oh well, I’ll call one my working pair and one my Worf—ing pair. Glad to do it Worf my friend! Enjoy the season.

• Baron Scarpia Logan, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 6:57 a.m.

Sadly, Adidas and Under Armour are now in the awkward position of either "joining" the movement -- and then looking like also-rans and late to the table.

Or supporting Trump and conservative causes to distinguish themselves from NIKE and then offending young people and minorities.

Or staying on the sidelines on the whole issue and being irrelevant among young people and minorities.

Brands increasingly are taking on social values -- think Ben & Jerry's, Patagonia, etc. People buy brands and proudly wear them to promote their values. If a brand has no social merit, young people in particular won't wear/buy them.

In short, a brilliant move. NIKE isn't targeting the Trump crowd, so offending them really doesn't hurt the brand.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 6:57 a.m.

Moderate, my personal boycott of WalMart has lasted over 20 years. I think in that time I've shopped there twice.

• PacificCreek Puyallup, WA
    Sept. 5, 2018 6:25 a.m.

If I were to protest during a meeting at work I would be escorted out the door. Mr. Kaepernick is free to protest as he likes but I never heard of him protesting outside of a game environment, participating in community initiatives etc.

Police brutality does exist in this country. You don't have to look any farther than the incident with the Nurse at a Utah hospital being arrested for protecting her patients rights. There are also hundreds of incidents a year where police officers are killed in the line of duty. Yesterday in GA there was an incident where an officer was shot and is in critical condition after responding to a robbery. The assailant was black and later took his own life. A part of the truth that we don't tell in the police brutality narrative is that officers go out every day worried for their lives. It is easy to over react when in that emotional state.

The fact that Mr Kaepernick wore socks depicting police officers as pigs and a shirt praising Fidel Castro makes him hard to like or support. Nike is going to deal with a lot of backlash over this whether they like it or not.

• Diligent Dave Logan, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 5:47 a.m.

He's free to bend the knee. Nike is free to sport his image. Patriotic Americans are free to boycott Nike.

I'll never buy any Nike product again, ever!

• 8 in a row! Ogden, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 5:30 a.m.

Just curious, what is the former 49ers QB percent contribution to charity over life time earnings to date?

We know he under achieved and flared out early on the field. And could of been a better employee and teammate.

Is he an over or under achiever as an activist?

• RJohnson Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 5, 2018 4:10 a.m.

@Mr. Boris

“We don't all have the right to protest at our place of employment”

Actually, we do. There may be adverse consequences to doing so but we have that right.

• 8 in a row! Ogden, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 10:15 p.m.

This corporate entity is getting a lot of free publicity - more dividends. Genius actually.

As far as the former QB. He transitioned into his new career all the while collecting a salary from the 49ers. It didn’t take long for the opposing defense to figure out his MO. He started to take some vicious hits actually. If he had something to offer, besides taking a knee, other teams would of picked him up. He didn’t evolve or progress. His passion is in a different line of work now. He’s done playing - washed up indeed.

The 49ers franchise, former 49ers QB and the current Michigan coach all have something in coming right now.

It’s called Karma baby.

And tell me, who’s taking advantage of who?

• John Jackson Sandy, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 10:08 p.m.

The words of the old Scorpions song come to mind, "the wind of change," and I think how a change in public opinion is taking place. Even ahead of the Nike deal, the wind of public opinion was changing.

• Moderate Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 10:04 p.m.

"I will never buy NIKE products."
    Reminds me of when a new Wal-Mart "invades" a neighborhood.
    "I'll never shop there" they proclaim.
    "Buy local" is the rallying cry.
    They stick to their protest for a while, but then...
    they need socks, or toilet paper, or a box of cereal,
    and Wal-Mart does have a good price on those.
    "Maybe just this once" they say before it become a habit.

"I will never buy NIKE products" won't last
    Boycotts are bluster, and it will soon be forgotten.

• CaliCougar American Fork, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 9:56 p.m.

Now Nike is venturing into the political arena....great. I heard earlier today that Adidas and Puma were also courting Kaepernick at least to some degree. So what's next?

I personally hope this move comes back to haunt Nike. I don't care what the issue is, I think professional sports should stay out of politics completely. I feel the same way about any of their suppliers (Nike, Adidas, Puma, etc).

• worf McAllen, TX
    Sept. 4, 2018 7:32 p.m.

I will never buy any NIKE products.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 6:45 p.m.

@junkgeek: "Emotionally intelligent people buy goods based on their quality, the features, and the price, and don't let celebrity endorsers influence their decision one way or the other..."

And so your view of Papa Johns pizza hasn't changed a bit the last month or so?

@UtahBlueDevil: "Can you imagine someone feeling they had to protest the killing of a 50 year old man who was stopped for a broken tail light"

No doubt, sometimes cops make mistakes. Sometimes they commit crimes. I've been deeply concerned about the shooting and killing of Philando Castile. Not because of his race, but because he was a lawfully armed citizen, in possession of a permit to carry after having received training and passed an FBI criminal check. He was shot by a cop who happens to be Latino. The cop was acquitted of negligent homicide by a unanimous verdict from a jury that included 2 blacks and 10 whites.

In 2017, 457 white individuals were shot and killed by cops, compared to 223 black individuals, and 179 Hispanic persons. 84 such deaths were of unknown race. Relative to population, blacks are shot more often than whites. But whites are far from immune.

I don't think the issue is racial.

• SIMPLICITY Denver, CO
    Sept. 4, 2018 6:25 p.m.

Racism, political firestorm, anti-police, anti-American...

These are not acceptable ideals to represent any business, let alone a publicly traded and global company. As a result, the selloff of stock by shareholders has began and will continue with vigor.

There must be more to this signing than meets the eye. Because from a business perspective it is simply illogical.

• Mr. Boris Layton, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 5:59 p.m.

What is so hard to understand about this issue?

We all have the right to protest. True.

We don't all have the right to protest at our place of employment. Free speech does not apply at your job. When you break the rules of your employer you get fired.

This issue has nothing to do with free speech. He got fired because his employer did not want to lose customers. No other team wants to hire him because they will lose customers.

This has nothing to do with free speech. It has to do with the free market system and Nike is going to learn that really soon.

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    Sept. 4, 2018 3:48 p.m.

Nike is a global company.

I predict sales to skyrocket because the world hates Trump.

• Common sense conservative Herriman, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 3:10 p.m.

OHBU- good for Kapernick for getting involved. However he was not "forced out of the league". ...if an NFL team wanted him he would have a job. The NFL is an entertainment business that needs to sell tickets/TV revenue. Whether by his diminishing talent or his attention for the protests, he has found his own way out of the league. And as far as how to act when an officer of the law detains you-- simple- comply. Shouldn't be too much training needed there.

• Counter Intelligence Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 3:08 p.m.

I do not get to engage in political pretests at my place of employment.

I am expected to be political on my own time.

Is my free speech violated?

Can I be a "victim" and get a lucrative contract too?

• Lagomorph Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 3:09 p.m.

Flashback (replying to HV Heretic): "The two X-rated theaters in Salt Lake went belly up in the early 80's, not due to boycotts per se, but due to the picketing that we did outside on the sidewalk."

I think you vastly overrate the power of the picket and greatly underestimate the power of the VHS cassette, which eliminated the need to go to a public theater. On State Street, the theater patrons just moved a few doors south to the magazine shop with its video rentals. Then the magazine shop in turn fell victim to the internet, which did not even require leaving home. 'Twas technology that killed the beast, not sign waving.

To underscore HVH's point, it's hard to think of a conservative led boycott that has been as prominent and effective as the United Farm Workers grape and lettuce boycotts. Anita Bryant's long ago tiff with Disneyland for gay promotions? Parents Television Council TV show boycotts? (Of course, it's also hard to point to liberal boycotts since the UFW with the same scope or results. Maybe the anti-apartheid South African divestiture movement.)

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 3:07 p.m.

I haven't purchased a Nike product in years but I just ordered a great looking pair of Nike shoes.
    Thank you for standing up for what is right, Nike.

• RebelScum Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 2:58 p.m.

#JustDontBuyNike

• The Real Maverick Spanish Fork, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 2:39 p.m.

Nike just earned myself and my family as customers! We love Colin Kaepernick and consider him a hero! I wish the president would address racial oppression and police brutality instead of just fanning the flames in order to use them to divide us.

Nike is a great company and I'll be sure to buy as many products as possible to support them!

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    Sept. 4, 2018 2:26 p.m.

re: BigJim
    "I cannot find any details about what they did once they stood up and could actually do something about it. Seems pretty easy to kneel, but it is work to help resolve the issue. "

Look up Colin Kaepernick and what he's done since this all began. It begins to the tune of donating over a million dollars to 41 different charities, even as he was forced out of the league and cut off from the source of his wealth. He's reached out to other athletes and celebrities to match his donations, thus extending the reach of his giving as much as possible. He's been active in many causes. He's trying his best to use his platform to do the work. He's hosted numerous "Know Your Rights" camps across the country which offer breakout sessions that give the campers advice on how to deal with police officers when detained, financial literacy, holistic health and college preparation among other things.

Perhaps you don't know all the hard work going into it because the media you consume chooses only to focus on the actions you find objectionable.

• BigJim03 Riverton, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 12:59 p.m.

This has been happening for almost two years. What are the results for athletes kneeling and not respecting the flag. Is there measurable improvements to racial injustices? It seems to me it is really easy to have these athletes kneel and create a controversy about a social injustice. I cannot find any details about what they did once they stood up and could actually do something about it. Seems pretty easy to kneel, but it is work to help resolve the issue. These men have wealth and influence. They could actually make a difference if they choose to make a difference. I only see controversy in their decisions and no results. With Nike supporting Colin. They have the right and make this business decision. I’ll make mine. Hello Under Armor. Show me that these men lead by Colin have made some progress other than divide a lot of people. I may change my mind if we have progress. Until then, we get to choose our stance on this issue. Good luck Nike!

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 12:08 p.m.

Just watch Michael Jordan films. He ran and jumped and scored 50 points a game. Every kid hoped to be like Mike and hoped the right shoes would help.

Colin needs good shoes for kneeling and sitting on the bench.

Some role model.

Maybe Nike is planning a shoe line for missionaries and priests.

Dumb move.

• Boberino Farmington, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 12:03 p.m.

This may or may not be a good move on the part of Nike. After all, Ford researched the economic impact of the faulty design of the Pinto gas tank. They thought they knew it would make economic sense to place cost over safety. Their research was wrong. Kaepernick doesn’t have a job in the NFL in part because he causes trouble in the workplace, regardless of how just his cause might be. If Nike wants to showcase that type of conduct, more power to them. Ford survived the Pinto; I suppose Nike will survive Kaepernick.

• Missouri loves BYU Muncie, IN
    Sept. 4, 2018 10:57 a.m.

Maybe I would be more impressed if Nike was willing to allow Kaepernick to place his personal political statements on their website and put them as a tagline on their television commercials... Wonder how that will work for them...

• Husker2 Aurora, MN
    Sept. 4, 2018 10:56 a.m.

If Nike supports Kaepernick, then I am done with Nike products.

• Missouri loves BYU Muncie, IN
    Sept. 4, 2018 10:25 a.m.

Nike botched this one... Kaepernick didn't make a sacrifice.... He clearly thought he could both play in the NFL and make personal political statements on company time, at company venues, using the leagues television contracts to share his message. (Few if any companies in America would allow this.) Not being signed by a team is a consequence of his actions .... not a sacrifice. Certainly Nike is getting more publicity out of this choice than other more inspirational but less well known athletes... Sorry Nike... Not a fan.... Need new shoes... wont be buying Nike brand.

• MGoodwin Murray/USA, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 10:24 a.m.

Here's the problem with the boycotts, there always some extremely coincidental factor used to excuse the loss case in point:

Target and the transgender bathrooms, revenues decline 10% but that was totally expected and not in any way related to the boycott.

Dicks Sporting Goods, the CEO recently had to admit their stance on firearms had caused greater losses than they anticipated, no hard numbers at this point.

Star Wars, the failure of their most recent film had nothing to do with the fan boycott but was the result of, other factors, particularly the weekend release they themselves chose.

Even the NFL is still scrambling trying to repair the damage Colin started. They can believe and do what they want, but they aren't entitled to my viewership or my cash and that goes for pretty much everyone. I am their customer and if they do something to insult me, I can go elsewhere. Maybe Nike should learn the adage, “Get Woke, Go Broke."

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 10:19 a.m.

I respect Krapernick's right to protest whatever he wants.

I just don't like his forum. I also don't like his reasoning.

What he's protesting happens about .001% of the time. Yes, there are a few bad cops but few and far between and police departments don't run around hassling people for no reason. They are hard workers presented with a nearly impossible job subject to more scrutiny than any other job is.

We always whine when they are not there on time and are fast to criticize if we don't like the outcome.

I challenge anyone on this forum to go out and ride along (if allowed) and see just what they have to put up with. It's way worse now than back in my cop days. Or go and apply for your local PD and work in the profession. Your eyeballs would be opened.

Also, employment law doesn't support his protest venue. So while I'm ok with his protesting, I'm not ok that it happened "on the clock".

Frankly the media ought to ignore him. If they did, he'd go away.

Interesting he's protesting something that has never happened to him either.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 10:09 a.m.

Heretic, I'll point you out two. And it wasn't necessarily conservative. And it wasn't really a boycott, because we shouldn't have gone there anyway.

• Stenodude7174 St. Louis, MO
    Sept. 4, 2018 10:08 a.m.

LOL at all the grumpy right-wingers and their "boycott." I think Kaepernick is an odd choice for the face of a brand, considering he hasn't played in years and hasn't played well in even more years. But, Nike has obviously researched this and thinks it's a good play.

So be it. I don't buy shoes based on who happens to be in ads. I buy shoes, and everything else, based on value. If I need shoes and some nice-looking Nikes are on sale, maybe I'll buy some. Or I'll buy something else. I've never looked at someone's shoes and thought "There goes a true 'Murrican!" or otherwise. It's just irrelevant.

So many reactions to this are hilariously petty. Banning a certain brand of shoe from your home, eh? Wow; I'm impressed! Whaddaya want; a medal?

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Sept. 4, 2018 10:06 a.m.

America is far from perfect, but it is a nation with great fundamental values of freedom. Struggling to reach consensus in how to express those values, but still great.

I support the continued improvement of American values of freedom, equal opportunities and justice for all. I will always believe that protesting against the flag or national anthem is inappropriate, especially when equality is generally improving. At the same time, I support Kaepernick's freedom of speech and action as long as it does not harm others. In my opinion, Kaepernick's disrespect of America does harm. To me the flag and national anthem directly represent those who serve others, which includes the military, law enforcement and all first responders, etc. Therefore disrespecting the American Flag and Anthem is directly disrespecting America and those groups. There are many other forms of protest.

I would respectfully suggest he live anywhere else in the world for a few years so he might find some balance between gratitude and protest rather than coming across as an arrogant, ungrateful millionaire. Can Kaepernick even imagine what his life would be like if he had grown up in any other country?

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    Sept. 4, 2018 9:55 a.m.

If only a trump supporter had taken a knee to protest the unfair treatment of trump.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 9:40 a.m.

Whatever. But this I do know:

It's amazing how many white and black people aren't brutalized when they aren't breaking the law.

If you think Kaepernick is an "All American Icon"...well...I won't try to convince you otherwise.

#teamblue

• Ankle-breaker Alpine, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 9:32 a.m.

@ Happy Valley Heretic:

"[P]lease point out a single conservative boycott that has ever been effective or hurt a business."

Answer: Conservatives' reverse boycott of Chick-fil-A. Solidarity runs both ways.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Sept. 4, 2018 9:19 a.m.

@ Uteology

At a minimum, he has enough talent to be a backup on ANY team in the league.

Good for Kaepernick for landing the Nike deal.
    ---------
    Maybe so but he was too arrogant to accept being a backup. The Seahawks were interested until Kap said he had to be a starter. He's made his own bed; now he has to lay in it. Protest all you want; but don't do it at work.

• PhoenixAZ phoenix, AZ
    Sept. 4, 2018 9:11 a.m.

Hmmmm. Well.....I will never buy anything that says NIKE on it again. Bad actions have consequences.

• FollowTheLaw Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 9:09 a.m.

Nike: now the shoe of protesters, not the shoe of sport champions.

• Cougsndawgs West Point , UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 9:00 a.m.

Uteology:

I didn't know you were a Niner fan. We should just talk about that from now on and leave Utah v BYU out of it. Looking forward to this season with Garoppolo under center.

I loved Kap, but he never progressed as a QB. He couldn't get out of his comfort zone from first read to tuck and run. I agree with you he's good enough to be a backup anywhere, but I think if most front offices were being honest they'd say they don't want the controversy, even if they agree with his cause.

I think that's the unfortunate part of all of this...that people are so against players who simply want to call attention to a problem they see (or have even experienced) in a peaceful manner. As Americans we should respect the courage it takes to do that, whether or not we agree with him. As I've said before, maybe Kap should have hired a PR firm or a consultant that would have pointed him to venues for his protests that weren't conflated with the anthem and patriotism. While I understand why he did it during the anthem, it also confused and distorted his message for a lot of people. It became about America and veterans rather than police brutality and racial profiling.

• Happy Valley Heretic Orem, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 8:29 a.m.

Too bad Conservatives are all talk, please point out a single conservative boycott that has ever been effective or hurt a business?

Beside armchair patriots don't nee athletic wear to listen " To the Extreme" on their radio's and entertainment news shows.

• Third try screen name Mapleton, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 8:26 a.m.

Whatever happened to funerals and awards shows and football and shoes?

Now everything is a statement.

If that's so important to them, it means they aren't focused on the task. Colin Kaepernick is a great example. Instead of focusing on the skill we pay to watch, he's an SJW for the oppressed. Good for him, but I pay him to play good football.

If they want to play politics, so will I. I vote with my wallet.

Social media makes it easy to figure out what game companies are playing.

• mightyhunterhaha Layton, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 7:44 a.m.

I will not be buying any Nike products. I hope Nike looses business over this deal.

• Common-Tator Saint Paul, MN
    Sept. 4, 2018 7:12 a.m.

I note another "Vet" and others commenting on First Amendment rights, and having fought for people's rights to protest. If years of military service are the predominant requirement to weigh in, then perhaps my 34 years in uniform also qualify?

People do have an inherent right to voice their opinion in our country. They do not have the right, however, to dictate others' reaction or reflective opinion concerning their selected means of expressing that opinion.

I know of few employers who want you making political statements on their time or venue, as they know there will be consequences with their customer base when that happens.

On the other side of this "statement", I know of no country elsewhere in the world where integration, be it racial, gender, religion, has been more engaged than the US ... albeit I've lived in only 4 countries outside the US. We have opportunities available, regardless of those labels, afforded nowhere else in the world, or in its history. Perhaps it's time to highlight that, rather than attempt to signal how bad it is here ... and especially by one who had a $million contract for playing a game ... some opportunity indeed!

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 6:43 a.m.

The hypocrisy this issue brings out is almost humorous!

People protesting Nike (boycotting) because they oppose Kaepernick's protests of racial inequality.

Protesting in order to limit NFL players' ability to protest...

Nike has a long track record of innovative and successful advertising. They know their brands and they know their target audience. Those who call for boycotts are not Nike customers, so your threats are empty.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 4, 2018 6:25 a.m.

8 in a row! - Ogden, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 6:56 p.m.
    Same old... but I’m told any publicity is better than no publicity.

-----

LOL

As a lontime 49er fan I have never liked Kaepernick but to say he is washed up is nonsense.

At a minimum, he has enough talent to be a backup on ANY team in the league.

Good for Kaepernick for landing the Nike deal.

• Jello is Good ,
    Sept. 4, 2018 5:21 a.m.

Isn’t America great? Kap can take a knee if he wants to. SF can cut him if they want to. Nike can sign him to a contract if they want to. Consumers can choose to not buy Nike if they want to.

Freedom is about choices and consequences to your choices. Sounds familiar.

• ute alumni Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 5:12 a.m.

Nike is so out of touch. Good bye Nike. You made one stupid mistake.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Sept. 4, 2018 3:53 a.m.

A few conservatives or self-described staunch military supporters will boycott Nike. But, with most Americans, it is about the product and the quality of the product.

This may be the launchpad for Kaepernick’s presidential campaign. Don’t laugh. I think he would have the most appeal of just about anyone to the Democratic Party’s target voters.

But, he won’t get anywhere close to being nominated or taken seriously by the DNC. Kaepernick has not paid his dues and is not part of the “club.” Bernie Sanders showed us what happens to people that aren’t part of the “club.”

• RJohnson Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 2:22 a.m.

Do we see a boycott of BYU sporting events if student athletes choose to wear Nike footwear or other branded products?

• joewillie12 Corpus Christi, TX
    Sept. 3, 2018 10:25 p.m.

I've never been a big Nike fan as I don't like overpaying for logos, but this move just made me want a new pair of their shoes.

Kap puts his money where his mouth is too, donating thousands to disadvantaged youth and communities. He's paid over 800K of his $1M pledge thus far. No deadbeat grifter here unlike others who spout off and divert the true meaning of his protest.

This 20+ year vet fought to defend the constitution against all enemies, foreign and domestic. Kaepernick is exercising his rights under that constitution.

Critics, stop wrapping yourself in the flag and the military...it's not about that and you know it.

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 9:16 p.m.

Can you imagine someone feeling they had to protest the killing of a 50 year old man who was stopped for a broken tail light.... and then was shot in the back by an officer. He was unarmed. He posed no threat to the officer. The officer was even video taped placing a gun near the suspect. It really happened, i Charleston SC. Can you image thinking something has to be done?

It take far more courage to by Adidas...... to say Colin was wrong to take a stand against that kind of treatment.

I think Keapernick did take an ill advised approach. But he took a stand for someone else. He showed courage in placing his career to what he viewed a serious social failure to recognize a problem.

But I support those who will protest Collin - who think what he is fighting for is unAmerican. That too is their right - but equally ill advised.

• ultragrampa Farmington, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 9:13 p.m.

I strongly support this decision by Nike.

I feel it is unfortunate that the purpose behind these athletes respectfully kneeling during the national anthem - to draw justified attention to continued racial inequality in this country (and that's putting it mildly) - has been hijacked in order to serve someone's offense-taking agenda.

If the efforts that have been made to discredit these men for taking their rightful stand had been used instead to try to DO SOMETHING about the problem they are drawing attention to, the problem would be well on it's way to being solved.

What have YOU done to help? Or have you just been offended? Either way, these men are fighting for the right others once fought for for you to have the opportunity to make your decision.

• Maximus Meridius Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 8:28 p.m.

I'll be exercising my rights by buying from anyone but Nike.

• JNA Layton, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 8:21 p.m.

I will proudly buy NIKE products because Colin has the right to protest. There are alot of members of the military who support him and who are sick and tired of being told what they are fighting for by so called patriots that have never served. I understand that there are also military members who are digusted by his protests. I find it wonderful that we live in a country where we can disagree. I wish nothing but the best for Colin and I support his right to protest.

• cdchat5855 Meridian, ID
    Sept. 3, 2018 8:20 p.m.

No more Nike for me and I have worn nothing but Nike shoes forever. Big, Big mistake Nike!!!!!

• my_two_cents_worth university place, WA
    Sept. 3, 2018 8:20 p.m.

Despite the consternation of the "patriotism my way or the highway" crowd, I expect that Nike thought this through carefully and anticipate little if any adverse market hit for them going forward.

• Utetoot Heber City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 8:16 p.m.

I love my new Adidas. They fit me perfectly, are light weight and very cool to look at. I think I will go back and get a few more pair tomorrow. I had forgotten what a stellar shoe Adidas made. Thanks Nike!

• Robroy Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 8:12 p.m.

Nike who?

• Selznik Saint George, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 7:55 p.m.

Way to go Nike - supporting our First Ammendment Constitutional rights.

• eigerjoe Sandy, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 7:51 p.m.

Nike - are you out of your mind? Why? His words and actions have done tremendous damage to the NFL and its fan base support. There is no way this is going to end well for you either. Hope you were smart enough to have a "with or without" termination clause in your contract. You are going to want out of this contract, and soon.

• Mr. Boris Layton, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 7:21 p.m.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything"

There is a group of people that has actually sacrificed everything and that is our troops. The same troops he has disrespected by kneeling for the anthem. This is so offensive to them.

Colin Kaepernick lost a job. He didn't sacrifice everything.

I will never buy a Nike product again and I have been 99% Nike my entire life.

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 7:10 p.m.

I am not a Nike person -- not at all -- largely due to their support of drug cheats Lance Armstrong, Marion Jones, and Justin Gatlin. There are other reasons too.

But it takes a corporation with some backbone to support an athlete who has become a political pariah. Corporations aren't generally known for courage.

Someone recently said accusing Kaepernick of being "anti-American" and "hating the flag" makes the same sense as saying Rosa Parks was protesting buses.

Nike seems to be betting that over time, Kaepernick will be a worthy investment even if he emerges only as a social activist. We need more Kaepernicks and fewer people who see sporting events as nationalistic flag-waving demonstrations.

I respect Nike's decision.

• 8 in a row! Ogden, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 6:56 p.m.

Same old... but I’m told any publicity is better than no publicity.

The former QB lost his focus and will to compete long before the 49ers released him. He’s washed up. All this collusion talk has been nonsense. Even if he could compete, business owners don’t want the distractions and lost revenue. Ironically, many can’t even agree what the protest is about. Which means there are better avenues to communicate the message.

• GrainOfSalt Draper, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 6:34 p.m.

Nike is on its way out at my house. When businesses start mixing politics with business--especially bad politics--I'm pretty much done with 'em.

• OldMain Saratoga Springs, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 6:23 p.m.

I'm reminded that, not only did Kaepernick start the trend of kneeling during the national anthem, but this is the guy who wore socks that had pigs dressed in police uniforms. This is an "American icon"? Boycott Nike.

• Mr. Boris Layton, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 6:23 p.m.

2 thoughts.

Is his endorsement for Nike volleyball knee pads?

And, Under Armour, here I come.

• Chancey Sandy, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 6:13 p.m.

While purchasing a gift for my wife in Macy's a couple of weeks ago, I observed a young man of 12 or 13 purchasing a bunch of clothes for back-to-school. All were Nike labeled. So while I may never purchase another Nike product, I'm afraid our youth will go on buying and also will idolize people like Kaepernick. His hypocrisy is astounding. It amounts to ignorance to degrade a country that has so enabled your own success. As for Nike, they're obviously aware of their customer base, so it's simple greed on their part. We'll see.

• Deanvrtc Vancouver, WA
    Sept. 3, 2018 6:01 p.m.

Shame on you Nike for endorsing a man who disrespects this great nation. I guess Nike does not respect our nation either.... or are you just afraid to take a stand? I would bet many of your employees love this country and are embarrassed by this endorsement. Its a very sad commentary for what I once believed to be a great brand and company. There are ways for Mr Kaepernick and those who agree with him to express their grievances, without disrespecting so may great mend women who have died for this country and our national anthem.

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    Sept. 3, 2018 5:52 p.m.

Next time an NFL protestor needs the police, perhaps they should call Kaepernick.

• CDM1525 West Point, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 5:49 p.m.

There are plenty of other good options. Nike is now NOT one of them.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 5:24 p.m.

Free enterprise at work. Nike is free to hire him for whatever reason, and consumers are free to decide if they like a product, or its representatives.

No one is forced to hire anyone, and no consumer is forced to buy anything.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Sept. 3, 2018 5:23 p.m.

• ConradGurch Salt Lake City, Utah
    Sept. 3, 2018 4:57 p.m.

Best of luck Nike, as for me and my house we are done with you!