The head of BYUtv talks 'Studio C' and the future of clean comedy

• RascalRob Visalia, CA
    Sept. 22, 2018 12:27 p.m.

I'm glad to see Studio C changing. My family and I love the first few seasons but then it seemed that they got into comedy that was more just "random" than funny. It also seemed that they relaxed and tried to meet the world halfway. Their most recent sketch seemed to copy the SNL layout exactly, with an SNL cast to host. I can see where many would find this appealing, but for me, it shows that they are willing to let themselves be seen in the same boat with SNL. When in reality, Studio C was special because of why they were different than SNL, not the same. It didn't feel right to have them focusing on similarities with a pretty dirty show, instead of standing up for the differences. I really appreciate all that byutv (and the lds church by relation) are trying to do to provide people with wholesome alternatives to everything that is out there on the media today.

• Dejah Provo, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 12:53 p.m.

Did they include Bill Cosby's lectures and excoriations of swearing and such and how he was so much better being a 'clean' comedian? Careful of high horses. I'd rather a comedian swear or not be completely 'clean' yet not be charged with drugging and raping women in his offtime.

• Hubble65 Sandy, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 12:41 p.m.

I don't watch channel 11 anymore. Just nothing there that appeals. Oh wait. we paused long enough to see some show with kids trying to navigate a course and other older kids trying to cause them to fail and restart to lengthen their time. No appeal there not even for kids. I just don't think 11.1 KBYU will last. I do LOVE having 11.3 on the broadcast TV airway though!

• rockskis Provo, Utah
    Sept. 4, 2018 12:41 p.m.

Studio C tries to copy Saturday Night Live in many aspects-sad truth neither are humorous unless you have that special sense of humor that might get some laughs over watching paint dry.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 9:54 a.m.

Just bought a new car with SiriusXM radio. Tried to listen to their comedy channels and couldn't find any clean comedy and mostly really adult oriented comedy. There is a need for family friendly comedy. My adult kids love Studio C.

• Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 8:13 a.m.

I'm a big fan of Studio C, but this last season was awful. The best part was Areil and Ursula. Then the kingdom in the couch.

Otherwise, there was a lot of screaming and shooting and overworking a gag.

Comedy is tough, but in previous seasons the skits were mostly good. That's not true any more.

Changing out the whole cast isn't likely to fix the problem.

The other stuff on BYUtv is old and purchased. Splatalot is some 10 year old game show from Canada with C actors throwing in lines to make it look local. The kid cake show is good...but from Canada.

The Serious Andes...Arctic...Amazon...Whatever, is fun BBC stuff from a decade ago.

Hetty Feather? Great!

So, where's the local content with national appeal?

Extinct bombed. Granite Flats was too expensive.

Good luck developing a product to sell to the country.

• Johnny Triumph Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 2:02 p.m.

Just last night as we flipped through our OTA stations my wife opined about losing KBYU tv. BYUtv was fine as 11.2 but it really failing as 11.1's main offering. I hope they figure out how to make it work because it's not working right now...

• Fair Flower Layton, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 1:56 p.m.

I'm pretty much disgusted with Netflix. I've spend a lot of time trying to find good shows that aren't rated R or mature. I just sit with the controller and scroll and scroll across the screen. I just check the ratings, R, R, Ma, Ma, R, and (MIRACLE!) a PG-13 one, except it's not even interesting. I'm staying with it for now because they do have some shows I like. I so wish they would make more stuff that I could enjoy. Bummer.

• bassoonlady OREM, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 1:04 p.m.

the athiest,
    It sounds that way to you because that is what you are looking for. No one said anywhere in the article that the religious have a monopoly on morality, only that clean comedy can be hard to find and hard to create.
    Why can't you be glad for someone's success?

• thebig1 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 12:08 p.m.

What an embarrassment to channel 11 and believe me the bar ain't too high for that station.

• The Atheist Provo, UT
    Sept. 3, 2018 10:35 a.m.

Another diatribe that assumes wrongly that the entertainment industry has "abandoned family values" and that only the elite religious institutions have the copyright on virtue, morality and family.

You don't.