Near-miracle at Michigan State: Utah State's upset-bid stopped just short by No. 11 Spartans

• SameJersey Kaysville, UT
    Sept. 4, 2018 11:54 a.m.

The Aggies did what they needed to do -- make a very impressive showing on a national stage against a top 15 team.

Now it is time to take that success in stride and get that MWC championship under your belt this year.

Go USU! Beat Ai Force! Beat Wyoming! Beat Boise State!

• CDM1525 West Point, UT
    Sept. 1, 2018 6:19 p.m.

pacmidmajor

You sure talk a big game for a fan of a team that’s relegated to talking smack to other teams FOR other teams. What’s the deal? Your team can’t do anything worth while to warrant any smack talk? I think your fans would appreciate if you stick to getting gear count numbers at your local amusement park.

• 8 in a row! Ogden, UT
    Sept. 1, 2018 4:46 p.m.

Heart breaker for the Aggies!

With all the scheduling talk you have to be careful what you ask for, legislature. Wouldn’t hurt my fealings if Coach Whittingham made it 24-30 in a row. That would make 19 of 20 look like the anomaly that it was, historicaly speaking.

Off course, ‘margin of defeat’ is what the moral victory folks are selling.

• niners Fayetteville, NC
    Sept. 1, 2018 9:42 a.m.

I wish the Utah legislature would allow Utah to schedule USU annually rather than BYU. It is a healthier rivalry, and Utah/USU are the top two teams in the state. Utah could use USU as the B game and it would open up a spot for a Big 10 or 12 opponent as the A game. I have reason to believe this might actually happen.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 1, 2018 9:33 a.m.

@Pacmidmajor,

You obviously didn't watch the Utah game vs Weber State. Utah's defense is absolutely stifling and deep beyond comprehension. They gave up a mere 15 yards total offense to Weber State, who could beat your team mind you, in the second half while rotating in 26 different players on that unreal D.

I wish you the truth......if you can finally accept it.....that is?

• Who am I sir? Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Sept. 1, 2018 9:20 a.m.

So close! Great game. Improve throughout the season and let us see you in the Mountain West championship game. Good luck.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 1, 2018 9:00 a.m.

@Old-n-well-maybe-not-stupid,

I agree with you 100% that Utah NEEDS to schedule a good, state school who is actually our "true" football rival = Utah State. However, the Utah State Legislature will attack my beloved U of U again with vengeful audits if Utah doesn't schedule a struggling Utah County parochial school.

It seems that our new AD at Utah is changing course according to BYU's AD Tom Holmoe. We Utes can only hope that is the case in future scheduling.

All the best to U kind sir!

• pacmidmajor Springville, UT
    Sept. 1, 2018 8:52 a.m.

Too bad for the Aggies that they were not playing the utes last night or they would have been 1-0 this morning .... Bank on it !

• pragmatistferlife Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2018 8:49 a.m.

"And shame on the usual 3-4 immature Ute fans who can't just give a rival a compliment "

Read all comments and still looking for those 3-4 immature Utes you write about.

Saw one truly negative comment with no obvious indication of affiliation other than Michigan State.

Projection is a terrible habit.

• Old But Not Stupid Moorpark, CA
    Sept. 1, 2018 7:55 a.m.

Hat's off to the Aggies!

Utah and BYU should be worried. Oh, wait.....Utes were smart enough to avoid scheduling State.

• Real Ute Dallas, TX
    Sept. 1, 2018 7:15 a.m.

Utah State is a very good team. They have great coaching, speed/playmakers everywhere and can pass the rock.

As I've stated a couple times before, BYU will lose to USU(coming off a bye week) on a short week after Washington beats the tar out of the Y in Seattle. Bank on it!

• cougs#5 Salt Lake City, UT
    Sept. 1, 2018 7:07 a.m.

The first games of the season are a toss up, no matter the ranking. I wonder what the score would've been if these 2 teams played each other 5 games into the season?

• NeilT Ogden, UT
    Sept. 1, 2018 6:48 a.m.

Chris B. I would not say the Aggies choked. I will say a pass on 3rd and 1 late in the game was a bad call.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Sept. 1, 2018 6:31 a.m.

Congrats to USU for an awesome game. I was really pulling for them to win.

And shame on the usual 3-4 immature Ute fans who can't just give a rival a compliment without saying something about their own team or mentioning BYU - who cares?

• utahute69 Laguna Niguel, CA
    Sept. 1, 2018 1:35 a.m.

Utah State did a great job representing the state. It appears that USU is a much improved team and could be a real force in the Mountain West. Good show USU.

• don jackson Atlanta, GA
    Sept. 1, 2018 12:17 a.m.

Big time kudos to Aggie players & coaches. They were prepared and gave 110% on the field. Should be a great season!!

• Alberta Reader Salt Lake City, utah
    Aug. 31, 2018 11:43 p.m.

USU loss was more impressive than the Utes win over Weber

• ute alumni Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2018 11:11 p.m.

Robyn
    What years did you play college football?

• Chessermesser West Valley City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2018 11:05 p.m.

Rank USU!

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    Aug. 31, 2018 10:40 p.m.

Dang, I was really hoping USU would get the win, so close! Still, USU played well and should gain some confidence. Even though Michigan State got the win, they should drop in the polls. Then, we will just have to see how it all plays out. Could have been a fluke game for USU and/or Michigan State.

Best scenario is Michigan state wins their other games and so does Utah State (except the BYU game). Go Aggies!

• BYU Sports Nut Heber City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2018 10:42 p.m.

Congratulations on a great game by Utah State. Wow, that defense was really fun to watch and the offense did almost enough to pull of the upset.
    This is one more game that shows why there is really little separation between G5s and P5 schools. Being in a P5 league, a G5 league or independent really doesn’t matter that much. USU could hang with anyone in a P5 conference on any given day.
    It’s too bad that they have to go clear to Michigan to play a P5 team. Seems to me that their should be someone closer to home other than BYU that they could play. Oh well. I guess I am only dreaming.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 31, 2018 9:51 p.m.

Great game and effort by USU. I was pulling for them to win. So close but clearly they are a much improved team.

• Uteology East Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 31, 2018 9:44 p.m.

CougarForever - Holladay, Utah

----

Utah is vying USC for supremacy.

BYU is trending for 3rd in State.

Utah State looks good, BYU will be a big underdog at LES.

• Chris B Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2018 9:37 p.m.

And another moral victory for the Aggies and a moral loss for Michigan state.

It never gets old watching usu choke!

Go p5 Michigan state.

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    Aug. 31, 2018 9:29 p.m.

I love Jordan Love! That kid can play. 2 minutes away from the win.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    Aug. 31, 2018 9:22 p.m.

Dang, I was really pulling for the Aggies! They may be the real deal this year.

• CougarForever Holladay, Utah
    Aug. 31, 2018 9:06 p.m.

Any objective observer would have to judge this to have been a great game!

Utah State impressed despite ultimately not prevailing. I give the Aggies the compliment much to my own dismay because I really don't like to see USU do well in football -- I don't want two in-state rivals vying with us for football supremacy (even one is a bit too much).

I have to acknowledge that I was particularly impressed with Utah State's passing game and I was absolutely stunned by how well the Aggies were able to hang with the highly regarded Spartans (obviously Michigan State was able to shut down USU's running game).

I had predicted a very easy victory over USU on Oct 5. Now I am thinking that maybe the Aggies are capable of giving us more trouble than I previously supposed.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Aug. 31, 2018 9:01 p.m.

@Henry Drummond

"I think the BYU/USU game just got more interesting."

Disagree...I think it just got less interesting. Before the season, I thought it would be a semi-close win for USU. Now I think USU is going to absolutely work BYU-P.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Aug. 31, 2018 8:55 p.m.

If I had a nickel for everytime USU takes on a huge opponent and comes just shy of a major upset.

That was an impressive game on a big stage!

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Aug. 31, 2018 8:55 p.m.

Wow! I think the BYU/USU game just got more interesting. Aggie’s are good this year.

• nothegame Saratoga Springs, UT