Amended lawsuit aimed at stopping medical marijuana initiative removes religious references

• UtahTroutStalker Draper, UT
    Aug. 30, 2018 3:42 p.m.

@bassoonlady - OREM, UT

"As a landlord I am minding my own business. My landlording business. I just spent two months scrubbing walls again and again because a tenant had smoked inside and I didn't have the extra money to pay someone else to remediate it. Even painting over it doesn't kill the smell and the health hazard unless you can clean most of it out first....."

So, let me get this right. You don't support the initiative because people will smoke pot in your rental, but they already do according to your story. So how does this initiative really damage you? Landlords could still have a "no smoking" policy.

Cannibis can be consumed in food, or smoked off premises. Too many landlords all of a sudden popping up with these stories - has anyone else noticed that. Either it is already a bad problem, and not likely to get worse, or it never was.

• UtahTroutStalker Draper, UT
    Aug. 30, 2018 3:29 p.m.

Why would a landlord even be able to ask if someone had a medical cannabis card?

Could a landlord ask me if I had cancer, or used opioids to control chronic pain?

We need to push past these ridiculous road blocks people. Free people should be free to make choices for themselves.

• quackquack Park City, UT
    Aug. 29, 2018 7:32 a.m.

False: cannabis does not cause schizophrenia this is a falsification, people keep only hear and read what they want and continue to spread lies .

Researchers from Radboud University in the UK looked at data from more than 180,000 people as part of the study. They uncovered that people with schizophrenia are also more likely to use cannabis.... the researchers cannot exclude a reverse cause-and-effect relationship, meaning that cannabis use could contribute to the risk of schizophrenia.

Their is more Clinical evidence that Alcohol has more effect on schizophrenia than cannabis Research, especially concerning the social contexts of alcohol misuse and the ways in which patterns of misuse develop among people with schizophrenia and other psychotic illnesses.

-US National Library of Medicine
    National Institutes of Health

On side note isn't Religion dictating laws consider a theocracy ?

• mrjj69 bountiful, UT
    Aug. 29, 2018 3:20 a.m.

I agree. marijuana users should not receive preferential treatment.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Aug. 28, 2018 3:56 p.m.

"label as a “stone cold sober” state," no this is a mislabel. BYU is ranked as the most Stone Cold Sober school not the state. And since we are talking how do this statistics, given they are verifiable, have anything to do with legalizing marijuana if not to prove like every other drug it would result in a disaster for the state.

• ConradGurch Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 28, 2018 12:41 p.m.

While the opioid crisis affects the nation at large, a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that Utah’s drug overdose mortality rate was higher than the national average.

In fact, prescription drug overdoses cause more deaths in Utah than firearms, falls and motor vehicle crashes, according to the Utah Department of Health. From 2013-15, Utah ranked No. 7 in deaths from prescription drug overdoses.

But opioids aren’t the only issue. Despite its label as a “stone cold sober” state, Utah also ranked seventh in the nation for the number of alcohol poisoning deaths. And Utah was recently cited as one of the three states with the highest level of depression, according to a 2018 study by Blue Cross Blue Shield.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2018 12:00 p.m.

Brainoncapitalist is right, there's still prohibitions on smoking it that stay with this proposition. It seems like every time I see something on the no side that seems like a decent argument it ends up being false.

• BrentBot Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2018 11:29 a.m.

Just today, research done in the United Kingdom confirms the linkage between marijuana and schizophrenia. Why would we want to encourage a substance which is linked to schizophrenia?

• Walt Nicholes Orem, UT
    Aug. 28, 2018 9:21 a.m.

I am an active member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I do not use, nor do I anticipate using, marijuana, medical or otherwise. But this article doesn't represent my views.

I do not find the use of marijuana "repugnant."

We have many fine Latter-Day Saints in states where it is legal who are not retching and gagging at the very thought. The lawsuit is over-dramatization.

I personally believe that marijuana is one of those things Joseph Smith was referring to when he stated that the Lord had put all sorts of plants and so forth on the earth for our use.

Frankly I find drinking of alcohol to be repugnant, but no one seems to want to do anything about that.

And finally, persons on the other side have similar "constitutional principles of property rights, due process and equal protection under the law."

• Flipphone Sandy, UT
    Aug. 28, 2018 9:05 a.m.

Utah is no longer the Utah of Brigham Young or even David O McKay were every one lived by what the the LDS Church allowed. Yes,the LDS Church still dedicates its desires and controls the legislature and a portion of the population (30%) but there percent of the population is falling.

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 28, 2018 7:33 a.m.

It seems the Church wants it to be 1950 again where everyone in Utah is walking around saying "howdy doody" to each other.

We are no longer pouring mercurochrome into cuts and wounds. Thinking evolves. Times change

• Raeann Peck Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 10:11 p.m.

SunDevilCoog Just know that marijuana is not an opiate. Not even close. It does have benefits for pain relief and its much more benign than opiates which are terribly over prescribed and much more dangerous. Technically, right now, hemp CBD oil is apparently not legal either, despite it's low THC content.
    I think I need to actually just read the initiative for myself.

• A Scientist Provo, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 8:48 p.m.

This seems like a very disingenuous manipulation of public opinion by the Church.

I am not impressed. I said it before and I will repeat it: the Church should have stayed completely out of this!

Too late now!

• Sativa Saint Sandy, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 6:42 p.m.

I'm a semi-active Mormon; I use Cannabis for various physical ailments (lower back), occasional anxiety, insomnia. I like how I feel, and it doesn't 'impair' me.
    I should have every right to GROW MY OWN PLANTS for my OWN USE! As a recovering alcoholic, it also helps combat 'cravings' or 'bad days' (an addict will understand what a 'bad day' is). Judge me not folks! I'm not hurting anyone; I choose to use Cannabis vs. whatever Big Pharma meds a Dr. would prescribe for my modest ailments. I don't like pills - but I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to get prescribed any number of benzos or opioids like Ambien, Colonopin (sp?), Oxycodone/Lortab/Percocet/etc. People against Prop 2 or Medical Cannabis in general likely 1) have never used the plant, or don't know anyone who does use it; 2) don't suffer from chronic pain, even mild chronic pain.

In regards to 'Recreational Cannabis', which opponents seem to be losing their minds over, why is so hard for people to realize that some people LIKE 'getting high' - whether that 'high' comes from a glass of wine, a legal drug (yes, people take pills recreationally), cannabis, cocaine, etc. Cannabis is without question the least 'intoxicating'.

• brainoncapitalist Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 6:20 p.m.

If any of the detractors concerned about the smoking of mj had actually read the initiative, they'd know that smoking of cannabis is prohibited by the initiative. I'm voting FOR the initiative because I have friends who desperately need this for themselves and their children.

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 6:04 p.m.

Justgordon

“Doctors don’t prescribe mariajuana so the premise of the opposition’s solution is totally bogus.”

And pharmacies do not dispense drugs not approved by the fda.

As you say, the opposition is logically bankrupt.

It is insulting they believe their followers are so ignorant and apathetic in this regard.

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 6:03 p.m.

To those claiming to be landlords:

Is it legal to ask your tenants about their medical status or medications?

You know medicinal canibis comes in other forms right?

No one is asking to damage your property.

• OldSalt94 West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 5:57 p.m.

Internet search about the “Prohibition Amendment” and the “Volstead Act” and you may find similarities of what is happening across the USA after these were repealed.
    Utah will soon be one of the last states to allow medical marijuana, just like it is only one of two states that doesn’t allow gambling. Remember we were the 45th state to be admitted (45 interesting number) to the Union. We may be last but “societal pressure” may prevail to make it happen.
    Like alcohol, marijuana is addictive and harmful. LDS, excuse me, Latter Day Saints, have the option of not imbibing or smoking just like Catholics, Baptists, Jews, other Christians or anyone else.
    I am in support of medicinal uses of marijuana, be it CBD oil or THC.
    I am in support of medicinal uses of alcohol.
    Recreational use of both is already here and around the world. Alcohol is “legal”, marijuana is not.
    For thousands of years the plant has been growing. Much like peyote or poppy plants we should know what the effects are. However, like any “medicine”, it will affect people differently. If it comes to the ballot, then vote at the polls as well as in the comment section of social media.

• John Wilson Idaho Falls, 00
    Aug. 27, 2018 5:45 p.m.

I have rental properties in Utah. I don't rent to smokers. I don't want to be forced into renting to people who smoke marijuana. The impact to my property would be the same whether it is cigarette smoke or marijuana smoke.

• JustGordon Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 5:25 p.m.

• mightymite , 00
    Aug. 27, 2018 5:01 p.m.

I think the church already got the message out and violated something with the message. This will be interesting....

• bassoonlady OREM, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 4:56 p.m.

Antodov,
    As a landlord I am minding my own business. My landlording business. I just spent two months scrubbing walls again and again because a tenant had smoked inside and I didn't have the extra money to pay someone else to remediate it. Even painting over it doesn't kill the smell and the health hazard unless you can clean most of it out first. That represents a serious amount of lost income, not to mention the new paint and having to replace 3 yr old carpet. That security deposit you mention would have to be to the tune of several thousand dollars, and you can bet it would be considered discriminatory since it effects only one group.

I don't like the idea of anyone telling me I can't vet tenants based on their likelihood of causing damage to my property. Even if it was for medical use, I will still have to remediate a property in which pot was smoked because it could pose a health hazard to the next tenants. One man's medicine is another man's poison. I should be able to vet tenants based on this.

Thomas Jefferson,
    I will stop letting other people dictate my life and destroy my property rights with a proposition they haven't even read. I'm voting no.

• SunDevilCoog West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 4:53 p.m.

I lived in Las Vegas when the medical marijuana initiative went through Nevada and paid close attention when it went through Colorado (I have family that live there).

This proposition is NOT about medical treatment. It wasn't in Nevada or Colorado, and while it's disguised really well, it isn't about medical treatment in Utah. Research is ongoing but there is science that shows the medicinal use of cannabidiol (CBD), one of the extracts of marijuana, and many states allows CBD as long as it is low in tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the part that creates the high.

The initiative, Prop #2, isn't about making CBD available and limiting THC, like many other states do, it is about allowing the whole plant. At a time when we have the over-prescribing and addiction to prescription pain pills (opiods), the last thing we need is another narcotic that's weakly tied to the medical industry.

• antodav Tampa, FL
    Aug. 27, 2018 4:28 p.m.

I’m sorry but the rationale for this lawsuit is truly ridiculous. Marijuana *prohibition* violates private property rights and religious freedom far more than this legislation does (are there no Rastafarians in Utah)? And also, if a landlord finds it “repugnant” for a tenant to use a natural herb as a pain remedy for cancer or some other ailment, frankly, that’s his or her problem. It’s called minding your own business. Charge a security deposit for the smell and leave the person alone.

• bemorefair Villanueva, NM
    Aug. 27, 2018 3:57 p.m.

Does Prop2 open the door for recreational use down the road? That's what most people want to know.

The UTAH MEDICAL ASSOCIATION (i.e., not the LDS Church) said in a statement:

"This initiative is not about medicine. Supporters have used images and stories of suffering patients to disguise their true aim, opening another market for their products and paving the way for recreational use of cannabis in Utah.”

Pretty simple to draw your own conclusion after becoming even marginally educated on the subject.

• windsor Logan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 3:48 p.m.

Wow.
    Commentors here seem to think this is so discrimatory.

But in just the last week I have been on 2 airlines where you could not smoke, a wedding venue and a beach where alcohol was not allowed, 2 government buildings where both smoking and guns were not allowed, and a hotel we're pets we're not allowed.

If these get to say no to all those, why do the commentors here think it so odd or offensive that landlords filing this lawsuit don't want marijuana used in their rentals??

Just disingenuous to be so furious about this when the other things are common and accepted, without them being called 'discrimination'.

• windsor Logan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 3:47 p.m.

Wow.
    Commentors here seem to think this is so discrimatory.

Just disingenuous to be so furious about this when the others are common and accepted, with them being called ' discrimatory'.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 3:04 p.m.

Regardless of any religious beliefs, no landlord should ever have to permit smoking in his units or even on his property. Pot has a worse odor than even tobacco.

I favor true, medical use of marijuana. I recognize there are some patients for whom smoking is the best way to get the medical benefits. But we cannot entirely ignore landlord property rights, nor the rights of other tenants in the complex. We've spent decades protecting against unwanted 2nd hand smoke. Rolling back to 1950 for pot smoking is a terrible idea.

This is one of several areas where Prop 2 goes too far.

Yes to medical marijuana.

No on Prop 2.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 2:46 p.m.

[Latter-day Saints and members of all religions have "the right not to consort with, be around or do business with people engaging in activities which their religion finds repugnant, and to refuse to lease their property to people engaging in activities which they deeply oppose," the initial lawsuit said.]

I could find an "apartment managers wouldn't be able to prohibit smoking marijuana in the apartment" argument very convincing. I sure wouldn't want that disgusting smell permeating through the place I live at. Of course, there's other ways to get medical marijuana instead of just smoking so it depends on the particulars of it so it's not like it'd totally prohibit it for a landlord to ban smoking of it.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 2:21 p.m.

"Fortunately, the federal judges were smart enough to spot Trump's charade."

I know this is not about marijuana, but, did you not notice the supreme court overturned the lower courts on the travel ban.

Vote no on prop 2.

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 1:52 p.m.

Imagine my shock that someone somehow made this about Donald Trump

Does medical marijuana treat Trump Derangement Syndrome?

If yes, I may have to vote for prop2

• PHJN25 Springville, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 1:48 p.m.

I'm voting against the legalization of "medical marijuana."

And, certainly, if I owned rental property in Utah I would not wish to rent that property to anyone who uses non-prescription drugs for any reason.

I am highly skeptical about claims made favoring medical uses for and the legalization of marijuana.

Years before I met my late wife in 1994, she used marijuana. I didn't know until May 2010 that she had used other drugs as well (which she had used after having begun drug use with marijuana).

In October 2010, my late wife passed away from Hepatitis C induced liver failure. She had not used drugs at all in the fifteen years we lived together. (She had raised the subject of our smoking marijuana after she had moved in with me. I gave her two choices: "Either flush that `stuff' down the toilet immediately, or get the `heck' out of this apartment tonight." There was no other choice.)

I have absolutely no toleration for drug use. The legalization of drugs will lead to many other problems in our society.

Having lived in Utah for two years (1964-1966), and having moved back in August 2011, I'm shocked to see how widespread drug use has become in Utah.

• shamrock Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 1:41 p.m.

This amended lawsuit reminds me of Trump's controversial travel restrictions, which he claimed were in no way aimed at Muslims, oh heavens no ... even though during the campaign he repeatedly targeted Muslims who wanted to come to the U.S. Fortunately, the federal judges were smart enough to spot Trump's charade.

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 1:34 p.m.

Reefer Madness. Nothing more, nothing less.

• sgallen Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 1:25 p.m.

To me, this further points to the need to have compassion on our fellow man. Just because you don't agree with someone, doesn't mean you should treat them worse.

• aeadams West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 1:17 p.m.

"Latter-day Saints and members of all religions have "the right not to consort with, be around or do business with people engaging in activities which their religion finds repugnant, and to refuse to lease their property to people engaging in activities which they deeply oppose," the initial lawsuit said"

I don't see how any court could uphold that language because it sounds like you could discriminate against all sorts of people because you don't agree with their lifestyle choices.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 1:16 p.m.

Right. "the" church didn't want to jeopardize their tax exempt status. But, their message to their flock has been sent. Loud and clear.

• Rubydo Provo, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 1:10 p.m.

Removing the religious references to this initiative isn’t going to change the optics that the opposition to medical marijuana is based on religious motivation and nothing else.

• Thomas Jefferson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 1:07 p.m.

Silly waste of everyones time.

Stop letting the government dictate your life. Vote yes.