'The very pinnacle of American virtue': Utahns react to John McCain's death at 81

• Applelovernow Henderson, NV
    Aug. 31, 2018 10:16 p.m.

Deepest condolences to the family of Sen. McCain and the people of the state of Arizona. He served our country for 60 years. Yes, he made mistakes, funny how human that is.

To those who support age and term limits. I would like to add the office of the President of the US and Supreme Court justices to that list.
    No one over 70 can run for President and all Justices retire after 20 years.

Note to AT - the "wet start" rumor was put to rest many years ago. Check out Snopes.

RIP Senator.

• Astoria Jim Mamaroneck, NY
    Aug. 27, 2018 9:33 p.m.

100 years from now, children whose grandparents have not yet been born will hear in awe of the brave and gallant naval aviator who was shot down, imprisoned, and tortured for six years. But while beatings could break his body, they could not break his spirit, diminish his resolve, or even extinguish his sense of humor.
    And how he entered politics and won the friendship and even love of his colleagues, including those who disagreed with him on matters of policy. And when this man who cheated death so many times...on flight decks in oceans, in prison cells in jungles...finally succumbed to the disease that will claim many of us mere mortals, he was surrounded by the members of his family, and embraced by the love of his nation.
    Godspeed, John McCain. We are better because you walked among us.

• blarsen BOUNTIFUL, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 2:28 p.m.

casual observer - Salt Lake City, UT, you need to research what many of his fellow prisoners thought and still think of McCain. McCain, to his credit, did express regret in his memoirs over his collaboration w/the NVA while in captivity. He was deathly afraid that his Admiral father would find out about it.

Some of this is dealt with in the article I referenced in my last comment. It's a fairly long article, but easily found by an internet search.

• blarsen BOUNTIFUL, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 1:34 p.m.

‘Flashback - Kearns, UT’, ‘AT - Elk River, MN’ and a few others are exactly right. What is being ignored is the role McCain played in squelching/ignoring evidence that there were POW’s/MIA’s left behind in Vietnam.

I’m a Vietnam veteran. For me this is a horrible blemish on the man’s record. I can’t think of anything worse for any POW. Why McCain took the actions in this matter as he did, is unfathomable to me.

In 1993, a researcher from Harvard, Stephen Morris, found a transcript in Russian archives of General Quang telling the Hanoi politburo that out of 1,205 US prisoners being held, many would be held back to use as bargaining chips to ensure reparations from the US.

Sgt. Maj. Eric Haney, who had participated in 2 aborted attempts to recover held-back POW’s in 1981-82, spoke to highly placed former member of the NVA who asked him: “Why did the Americans never attempt to recover their remaining POW’s after conclusion of the war?”

McCain’s role in squelching the last attempts to do this were unconscionable. Ref: McCain and the POW cover-up, by Sydney H. Schanberg, Pulitzer Prize winner. It appeared in the Nation, 2008, and expanded later in the Nation Institute.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 11:44 a.m.

While McCain gave honorable service to our country in his youth, it is hard to imagine how petty and bitter he had become to actually exclude the President of the USA from his funeral!
    To be kind, let's assume it was just the effects of brain cancer and take the high road in honoring his service.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 11:18 a.m.

BigLib - Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2018 12:19 p.m.
    Not everyone is saddened by the departure of John McCain from the U.S. Senate. Many see it as an opportunity for the Republican Governor of Arizona to appoint a replacement to the Senate who will support, rather than inhibit, President Trump's agenda for the Nation.
    ==========

But Big, there are a huge number of Americans who would much prefer the governor to appoint a replacement who will do all they can possibly do to prevent any further DESTRUCTION of our nation by trump.

• IZ5 Hatch, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 9:55 a.m.

Condolences to his family.

Suggestions for current and future government representatives of the people:

1) Term limits, please!
    2) Resign your seat if you become physically or mentally unable to fulfill your position.
    3) Mandatory retirement from office at 70 years old. I don't care how fit, sharp or
    important we may think we are, we all know there's a big difference between our
    performance mentally and physically at 70 than when we were in our 40's or 50's and
    60's. Retire for Pete's sake. Enjoy the rest of your life serving your family and friends in
    some other capacity.

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 8:02 a.m.

Let the cannonization of St John the Divine begin.

John McCain never did anything that wasn't calculated to benefit or further the career of John McCain.

I can't think of one significant piece of legislation that he sponsored or passed. Other than McCain Feingold that got dumped by the courts.

when I think of McCain, I think of his involvement in the Keating 5 and the wrist slap he and John Glenn got.

His "Gang of 14" antics didn't endear him to me either.

My son had the privilege of being a Senate Page. He worked every day with John McCain and had nothing good to say about him. Both on a personal level and what he did or didn't do in the Senate.

Kudos to McCain for his military service and his POW experience. Kudos for his Service in the House and Senate. But he's not the clean one owner "Paragon of Virtue" that everyone says that he is.

McCain was a relentless self promoter. Always had to be in front. In the last roughly 10 sessions of Congress around 17 bills sponsored or co sponsored by McCain became law, out of a little over 1200 he sponsored. To contrast, Orrin Hatch has had over 700 bills signed into law in that time that he either sponsored or cosponsored.

• Den Den West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 6:44 a.m.

I respect the man as a soldier and former POW.

But his situation begs the need to address term limitations!

Two terms for US Senators
    Six terms for House of Representatives
    Age limits. The FAA mandatorily retires pilots at 65. Make 70 the cutoff age. No new terms after 70. Serve out your term and then you are retired.

• casual observer Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2018 9:34 p.m.

He was offered release from POW camp, but refused until his comrades were freed. His courage, integrity and dedication to country set a standard that few have met. His independent, moderate political views made him the friend of many and the enemy of few. I am pleased that Mr. Trump would feel out of place at the memorial service.

• AT Elk River, MN
    Aug. 26, 2018 4:31 p.m.

Over 130 people died because of a prank he pulled on an aircraft carrier (he "wet-started" his jet and started a fire). He crashed multiple aircraft goofing around. His wife was badly injured in a car crash with life-altering injuries - he divorced her. There wasn't a war he didn't support. He actively collaborated with enemies of the US. He gave up information while being interrogated that led to the death of other people (not sure how I'd do under those conditions, but it still should be noted...). But, because he was a politician, he's getting respect?

• Harrison Bergeron Holladay , UT
    Aug. 26, 2018 2:16 p.m.

Although I disagreed with McCain about a lot of things, he did have a moment of brilliance when asked by the media about the possibility of becoming vice president for Barack Obama, he replied:

"I spent several years in a North Vietnamese prison camp in the dark, fed with scraps. Do you think I want to do that all over again as vice president of the United States?"

• Slcut Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2018 2:00 p.m.

It’s too bad he worked till he was 81. He should have retired and enjoyed life.

• MGoodwin Murray/USA, UT
    Aug. 26, 2018 1:13 p.m.

I don't much agree with the man both politically and in his own life, but I hope he was able to enjoy his final moments peacefully, painlessly and with his loved ones. Rest in peace McCain.

• BigLib Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2018 12:19 p.m.

• carrin Price, UT
    Aug. 26, 2018 11:17 a.m.

We have lost an authentic hero. Trump's thoughtless comment, saying he only likes soldiers that weren't captured, is typical of the man that America voted in to be our President. Trump wasn't a soldier because he suffered with bone spurs. McCain was a man of great integrity and a sincere patriot. Thank you for your service, Senator McCain. Rest in peace, you deserve it.

• Seldom Seen Smith Orcutt, CA
    Aug. 26, 2018 11:10 a.m.

It's obvious by the accolades showered on McCain, that many people, including pop culture media, do not have deep or thorough knowledge of his history.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Aug. 26, 2018 10:28 a.m.

@Desert Bill.
    Hatch is being polite. That’s what you do at a time like this.

Many had political quibbles with McCain. That is what makes America great.

But, (though Trump tried) I can’t ever disparage his military service. He offered his life, if needed, to preserve the US Constitution. That is the epitome of selflessness.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Aug. 26, 2018 8:58 a.m.

We've lost one of the few honest and sensible voices in Congress.

• swartzy1 Dallas, TX
    Aug. 26, 2018 8:46 a.m.

I feel for his family, it is very hard to lose a loved one. I wish them well I will be very careful with what I say next. I am not a fan of Mr McCain at all I am from Arizona and was there while he was having problems in Vietnam. I had family in the armed forces at higher levels and also in State Govt. At the very beginning his problems in the Navy were known and the troubles he was in. From what came out at first and what you see in his history today are two very different stories. I just don't have much respect for him. I am very sorry that he had to suffer from this horrible disease and that his family lost him. I hope they find peace and comfort soon. I might not like him but I do not wish anything but love and comfort for those that do not feel as I do.

• Grandma Kitties Vernal, UT
    Aug. 26, 2018 7:44 a.m.

My husband and I moved to Arizona in the mid-1990's. It was nice to be in a "more conservative" state, than California. I voted for Sen. John McCain and he always kept me guessing as to what he would be doing next to upset my conservative mind. I vowed I would never vote for him again, as the years passed but then I would because he was the best man available for the job. I look back and admire this tough American hero, who endured so much from his captors in North Vietnam. He was released and went into politics and tried to keep the senate bipartisan as to what the next step should be for our nation, not just for his political career. I will miss him.

• DesertBill St. George, UT
    Aug. 26, 2018 6:36 a.m.

It is interesting that Hatch calls him a hero and the pinnacle of virtue all the while sycophantically supporting trump who denigrated Senator McCain (and anyone else who hurts his feelings).

We lost a great man, appearing even greater by comparison to those left behind.

• Aggielove Caldwell, ID
    Aug. 26, 2018 4:34 a.m.

McCain did nothing to impress me. Just another lifetime politician.

• DarthMaul Vernal, UT
    Aug. 26, 2018 12:27 a.m.

R.I.P. Senator Sir.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 9:50 p.m.

John McCain is a true American patriot. And , in total opposition to Orrin Hatch's statement of Trump being "the best President I've ever served under". Mr. McCain was the epitome of American integrity.

• PHJN25 Springville, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 8:50 p.m.

The word "Hero" has been terribly overused in the United States over the past fifty years or longer.

That said, John S. McCain the Navy fighter pilot, or Senator John S. McCain, has certainly proved himself a role model to all of humanity who have heard of the man and knows of his reputation.

Going back to his days as a Navy pilot, and then a little later to when he was a prisoner of war at the Hanoi "Hilton" in North Vietnam, John S. McCain was always a hero to me. He was a hero to me even when I disagreed with him while he was serving in the House or Senate.

What John S. McCain has done for the men and women of the Armed Forces of the United States of America has seldom been equalled.

Thank you for your service to all of humanity.

We who have served in the Navy all salute you, Captain John S. McCain, III.

Anchors Aweigh and Semper Fidelis,

Andrew "Andy" McKane

• Meckofahess Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 8:24 p.m.

Not sure there will be such a great Senator, American hero and Patriot of equal stature to Senator McCain to come along in this country for a long time - if ever! Thanks Senator McCain for all your valiant service to this country.