War hero and presidential candidate John McCain has died

• 10CC Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 6:52 a.m.

Who can ever forget McCain, in the middle of a hard fought presidential election, taking the time to gently correct one of his supporters on some of the worst, fabricated lies about his opponent.

"Ma'am, I have to say - he's a good, honorable family man, with whom I happen to have numerous policy disagreements."

"I may not wish him luck... but I wish him well".

We need to find a way back to this kind of leadership for our nation.

• Mary Mc Lacey, WA
    Aug. 26, 2018 10:06 p.m.

Well done to a hero and a gentlemen who fought the good fight. We will never forget your courage and valor. Thank you for your service to all Americans.

• MacD slc, UT
    Aug. 26, 2018 12:16 p.m.

He is a war hero.
    When you campaign on an issue and then vote the opposite way as senator McCain did, your integrity and judgement will be questioned.
    Please do not allow his wife, Cindy, to replace him in the senate.
    Rest in peace senator McCain.

• ute alumni Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 26, 2018 7:07 a.m.

Partial
    How about taking the day off of hate Trump. This is about John McCain. Hate is tiring, you must be exhausted.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 9:52 p.m.

I didn't always agree with him, but he was a great American. He will be missed.

• JBs Logan, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 9:38 p.m.

My heart is broken. There will never be another hero like John McCain, a true patriot who put his country before himself every time. Even though I knew this was coming, I'm shocked and terribly saddened by his death. Rest in peace, dear Senator John McCain, maverick and man extraordinaire. Your country will miss you.

• John Charity Spring Back Home in Davis County, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 9:22 p.m.

This is a tragedy of epic proportions. His loss will be felt in countless ways, not just in politics. I issue my strongest possible condemnation to the cancer that took his life.

• ER in AF Layton, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 9:04 p.m.

I am proud to be from the same country as John McCain!

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 8:54 p.m.

The AP provided history of McCain's life was very well done and comprehensive, and well deserved.

I salute his service in uniform and political office, although many of his political actions were incorrect in my opinion.

In recent years he had seemed more interested in staying int he spotlight than actually getting anything done. His refusal to resign his seat, even after it was obvious that he could never return to the Senate has delayed representation for the people of Arizona, which tarnishes his record of service.

May he rest in peace.

• PHJN25 Springville, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 8:30 p.m.

Captain John S. McCain, III, whether the naval officer or Congressman or Senator John S. McCain certainly did make a major contribution to the defense of the United States of America.

We who love our Navy (and the other branches of our Armed Forces as well), realize the great accomplishments John McCain contributed to our national defense, both as a Navy pilot and as a member of Congress.

Senator McCain, we will miss you. Senator McCain you set an example of selfless service to your country and to your fellow Americans. Indeed, you've done much for all of humanity far beyond the borders of our own country.

We salute you, praise you, and look up to you. We wish the very best for your family.

Anchors Aweigh and Semper Fidelis to a very fine naval officer, family man and senator.

Andrew "Andy" McKane

• LOU Montana Pueblo, CO
    Aug. 25, 2018 8:25 p.m.

John McCain is what Republicans use to be, good, decent, moral, and patriotic.

Trump will never be the man John McCain is.

He would never collaborate with the Russians.

• Nephiwon Crown Point Essex, NY
    Aug. 25, 2018 8:17 p.m.

Senator McCain is the epitome of a American hero. Mr Trump should be ashamed of himself for what he said about him. I am grateful for his service and maverick ways of not party but doing the right thing. I wish he were still in Washington fighting for us.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 8:10 p.m.

With other Americans, I mourn the passing of this great American patriot and war hero! We need more like him in both parties.

• wrz Springville, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 8:04 p.m.

Sorry to hear the news. Loss of a great man.

• The Meliorist CA, 00
    Aug. 25, 2018 7:55 p.m.

John McCain had the loyalty to support the party's candidate, Trump, even after Trump alluded to him being a coward. And then he stood on principle when he dropped his support of Trump after the Access Hollywood tapes revealed his perverse mindset.

The world has lost a real hero just when we needed him most.

Peace to the McCain family. Very sad loss.

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 7:55 p.m.

"He's not a war hero," Trump said. "He's a war hero because he was captured. I like people that weren't captured."

.... says a lot about these two people. One man flew over 20 missions over hostel territory before being shot down by the enemy. The other man lived in luxury provided by his parents at the same time.

John McCain was a rough and tumble guy..... didn't always make the best decisions.... I didn't always agree with him. But he never brought ill repute to the office he held.... a good example for many others to follow.

God's speed to John McCain, and blessings to his family at this time.

• Utah Girl Chronicles Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 7:50 p.m.

I never voted for him but John McCain was a good man who loved his country. He served us well.

• bamafone Salem, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 7:48 p.m.

I'm going to give Senator McCain his due as a military hero. Most every thing since, not so much, but rest in peace.

• byronbca Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 7:39 p.m.

McCain was a good man, who I just so happened to disagree with. America needs more politicians like McCain. Public servants who actually put America first.

I don’t think he was ever involved in a single scandle his entire life. History will be kind to him.

• Onion Daze Payson, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 7:28 p.m.

Thank you Sir.

• Rick for Truth Provo, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 7:27 p.m.

AS a fellow Naval Aviator, I wish him fair winds and following seas, a true war hero. As a senior statesman, I believe he was wrong to help destroy our security on the boarders. He campaigned for 6 years to end Obama Care, but because of his personal animosity for President Trump, he shafted millions of Americans with a horrible medical system, $6,000 with a $5,000 deductible, really, unforgivable as a so called politician.

• Hockey Fan Miles City, MT
    Aug. 25, 2018 7:17 p.m.

And THAT is why it was wrong to pressure him to resign. He died with his boots on, which was totally consistent with his honorable character. RIP, Mr. Senator and War Hero. Condolences to the McCain family!

• RC in WJ WEST JORDAN, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 7:14 p.m.

One of the great patriots has left us. R.I.P. Senator McCain, and thank you for your service!

• Ronald Fox Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 7:16 p.m.

John McCain, Son, Husband, Father, Grandfather, Senator, POW, and All Navy. This Nation has lost a hero. God Rest is soul and care for his family.

• Tolstoy salt lake, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 7:15 p.m.

Thank you Senator McCain for your service to our country.