Church sends email to Utah Latter-day Saints urging them to vote no on marijuana initiative

• Nunn24 Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 31, 2018 3:03 a.m.

Utah members of the LDS Church should realize that the Church has said nothing on this matter. The e-mail is from the Area President, Elder Christensen, who has no inherent right to speak for the Church. (Only the First Presidency does -- Handbook 2, 21.1.29 -- and their names and the name of their office is nowhere to be found in the email.) Therefore, the email ought to be regarded simply as the personal opinion of one man, and nothing more.

• Fred D Healy, AK
    Aug. 28, 2018 11:07 a.m.

Don't I remember President Hinkely on 60 minutes saying "we dont tell them how to vote"?

• pragmatistferlife Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2018 8:07 a.m.

Susan Storm.."Legal drugs can be used and misused. Just because there is a risk of misuse doesn't mean it should be illegal.

I'm a faithful member, but the church is overstepping on this one. Times are changing"

One of the primary objections to this proposal is how the drug is dispensed. There is a call for us to wait until licensed pharmacies can dispense the drug.

Opioids can only be dispensed through a pharmacy..how has that worked out for us?

During any one 14-day period, an individual would be allowed to buy either 2 ounces of unprocessed marijuana or an amount of marijuana product with no more than 10 grams of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) or cannabidiol.

If you were concerned about abuse possibly the amount available might be the real issue.

I think 2 ounces of unprocessed marijuana makes between 40 and 50 joints (google). That's what would be allowed for two weeks.

Remember drugs are dispensed today without much consideration for the size, history, or daily need of a patient. You either get oxy or you don't at the pharmacy. Doctors discretion is still the question.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Aug. 26, 2018 10:47 p.m.

@ Ranch - Here, UT - Aug. 24, 2018 11:42 a.m. - "@Caravan; Morality is extremely subjective (and no, our laws aren't based on "morality"). The 1st Amendment guarantees freedom of religion and that means that neither I, nor any other citizen has to be subjected to the whims of LDS church leaders."

So our laws are NOT based on morality? SMH...

So what are they based on then? This oughta be good.

• annerang Naples, FL
    Aug. 26, 2018 4:24 p.m.

Describing that memorandum as “legal analysis” is inaccurate. The memorandum contains little analysis. And is poorly reasoned.

• Go Big Blue!!! Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 9:22 p.m.

I've seen first hand damage done to families from the use of marijuana. The concern I have is that states that have legalized medical marijuana have become a joke. There are "doctors" that will prescribe marijuana for virtually everything and anything. Keep the camel's nose from entering the tent. The ultimate agenda is to legalize marijuana.

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 3:55 p.m.

Some readers might be interested in the origins of the word marijuana:

Although the marijuana plant has been around for thousands of years, most historians agree that the word originated in New Mexico in the 1850s. That's when a poor Mexican sheepherder living about 10 miles outside Albuquerque discovered an unusual but "muy hermosa" (beautiful) plant growing on his property. He liked the smell and soon begin to ingest and smoke it, finding that it not only provided a sense of euphoria but also greatly eased his tooth pain. When he eventually shared some with white residents in Albuquerque (they called him Little Muchacho, because of his small stature), they loved it. Soon he was bringing bagfuls monthly via horseback to them and was paid handsomely. Because his horse was a mare and his name was Juan, the residents combined mare and Juan and started calling the plant marijuana. They added the feminine "a" to Juan as an added insult to his diminutive stature. By the 1860s the word had spread throughout the region; it first showed up in dictionaries in the 1880s. ("Anecdotal History of New Mexico," University of New Mexico Press, 1987.)

• hbeckett Colfax, CA
    Aug. 25, 2018 1:19 p.m.

you people in utah can choose for yourself but also pray about your choice to see if it is best approach for you with all the differing opinions it is very confusing to me and I live where it was put on the ballot as a proposed solution for any number of medical solutions and the population voted for approval if it needs to be legal let the legislature determine that fact and vote on it after due research and comparison to existing legislation maybe then the population of Utah will not spend their time in court trying to be correct on the supposedly use or the correct application of such substance remember use your agency and use all available resources to make an informed decision that will allow this proposed legislation to be of benefit for your family and their possible use someday maybe.

• On the other hand Riverdale, MD
    Aug. 25, 2018 8:40 a.m.

I don't understand why the church is choosing to stand between doctors and their patients. I live in a state where marijuana is legal for medical purposes only. For most of us, life proceeds much as it did before legalization. But for those who suffer from chronic conditions that do not respond well to more conventional pharmaceuticals, legalization gives them one more avenue they can pursue, under the supervision of their doctor. Contrary to what opponents of medical marijuana would have you believe, the state has not "gone to pot". In fact, as a non-user of medical marijuana, I notice no change whatsoever. To me, it seems like the church is making a mountain out of a molehill.

• Akman Santaquin, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 8:19 a.m.

Separation of Church and state allegations should include concerns for anti church activity seeking state policies as well. A republic is bound to reflect the will of a majority of the people. Ballot initiatives are often a way of end running issues by controlling debate and in this case putting imperical evidence off the table. The science of medical marijuana is highly overstated and highly misrepresented by those who claim it to be the wonder DRUG of the ages. There is no evidence that marijuana has anything but anecdotal claims for its effectiveness. As opposed to double blind studies and unbiased evaluation by those without an ulterior motive. That includes both anti and pro bias.

This seems to be the one case where the safety of children is a non issue in the rallying cry to legalize.
    Objective Science be darned.

P.S
    CBD oil and smoking weed are apples and oranges. And lumping the two together is just a slight of hand tactic to fool compassionate voters.

• drog Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 7:38 a.m.

Our guidelines on this will remain in effect until we can get our hands on 10% of sales.

• oaklandaforlife Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 9:15 p.m.

Thank heavens separation of church and state doesn't exist in Utah.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Aug. 24, 2018 8:04 p.m.

The history of having standards for drug manufacturing goes back to the Progressive Era in the early 1900s. Upton Sinclair wrote a book called The Jungle about the meat packing industry. As a progressive measure they passed a law called The Pure Drug and Food Act. More recently, in 1960, there was a new drug called thalidomide which treated morning sickness in pregnant woman. It had a side effect to limit capillary growth. The result was children were born without arms. It was pulled, of course, from the market. The FDA is rightfully terrified about what might happen.

Many PC types here (I didnt say liberal, did I?) want to go back to the early 1900s and do away with pharmaceutical standards. At least call it what t is: regressive.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 5:11 p.m.

@antodav: "You know, it’s a great thing to be able to belong to a church whose doctrine clearly states that its leaders speak the word of God on spiritual matters, but can be (and often is) wrong when it comes to political matters."

Really? Which church is this? Here is what the cannonized scripture of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints says:

DC 29:34-45 -

"Wherefore, verily I say unto you that all things unto me are spiritual, and not at any time have I given unto you a law which was temporal; ... no temporal commandment gave I unto him, for my commandments are spiritual; they are not natural nor temporal, neither carnal nor sensual."

President Benson taught:

"The prophet is not required to have any particular earthly training or credentials to speak on any subject or act on any matter at any time. ... The prophet does not have to say ‘Thus saith the Lord’ to give us scripture....The prophet tells us what we need to know, not always what we want to know....The prophet is not limited by men’s reasoning."

We all have our agency. There will be no church discipline for voting for recreational pot. But let's be clear about what Church doctrine is.

• rdean92 Los Angeles, CA
    Aug. 24, 2018 4:35 p.m.

If the young and innocent want to get their hand on weed, they already do. I wouldn't worry to much about that.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 4:29 p.m.

@iktaalik: "Read my statement closely. I don't hate the church - I do think they are wrong on this issue. I do want the initiative to pass, but that's not the point. The point is that it had a 75% approval just a few months ago (google it) and that a large organization is using it's power trying to sway opinion."

I read your statement plenty carefully. And you've carefully dodged my point.

If the initiative had 75% support several months ago (And are these the same kind of polls that predicted Hillary winning in a landslide?), and today that support is lower, why do you state that one period of time shows "people thinking for themselves" why implying that if people make a different decision they are not thinking for themselves?

Several months ago, far fewer people had yet bothered to educate themselves about what this initiative did. So they answered on general principle of supporting medical use of cannabis. Even The Church of Jesus Christ supports legit medical use.

Today, with more education about the specifics of this bill, people think for themselves and oppose the initiative.

Large groups with lots of money have tried to influence voters on both sides of the issue.

• Tiktaalik Logan, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 3:49 p.m.

@ No Names Accepted

Read my statement closely. I don't hate the church - I do think they are wrong on this issue. I do want the initiative to pass, but that's not the point. The point is that it had a 75% approval just a few months ago (google it) and that a large organization is using it's power trying to sway opinion. I'm just interested in to how much opinion will shift. I think they have every right to say whatever they want whether I agree or not. I would be nervous about any institution that could sway public opinion by a large amount - either direction - in this case it's just what appears to be your favorite institution.

• azwildcat24 Gilbert, AZ
    Aug. 24, 2018 3:41 p.m.

I'm not from Utah, but I can understand why the church does this. HOWEVER, I just wish they would realize how bad it makes them look. Just stay quiet when it comes to politics, I promise it will be better for the church and it's image. When the church does things like this it just looks bad and like they are trying to order it's followers around. It is simply best to just remain neutral on issues.

• vinniecat Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 3:34 p.m.

"When the prophet speaks the debate is over"? That's ridiculous and dangerous.

I am disappointed the church is using their influence, again, in our political arena as if we can't somehow research these issues and come to our own conclusions. So many in our state have suffered and waited. I would love for voters to vote their conscience after their own research and for the church to stay out of it. I understand voicing opposition, making announcements, and lobbying, but sending me an email to all members in Utah to vote against it went too far. Don't use church emails for political agendas. We can see from some comments here that urging will be the same as commanding for many members and church leaders know that. Hence, this really crosses a line for me. I'm very disappointed.

• Wyo_Jake Casper, WY
    Aug. 24, 2018 3:24 p.m.

I will be all for using an extraction of cannabis for medicine once it becomes just that -- a pharmaceutical medicine not meant for pleasure.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 2:54 p.m.

@Tiktaalik:

"I think the real issue here is whether we live in a theocracy in this state. A few months ago, polls showed roughly 75% support for the initiative. That's called people thinking for themselves. "

But if 75% oppose the initiative you think that isn't people thinking for themselves?

Were we thinking for ourselves when we passed the State Constitutional Amendment defining marriage?

Isn't it a bit arrogant to presume people are only "thinking for themselves" if they happen to agree with you, or disagree with someone else, or some entity or church that you dislike?

Everybody gets to think for themselves. I get to listen to those who dishonestly claim this is just about medical marijuana even as I read the initiative which clearly makes it all but impossible to enforce against recreational use. I also get to listen to medical doctors, trained lawyers who have offered their opinions on the initiative, and to various religious leaders.

A very few lefties have the integrity to oppose free speech for churches even when the church agrees with them on some political issue. I can respect that self consistency. The vast majority lack it.

• Tiktaalik Logan, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 2:41 p.m.

I think the real issue here is whether we live in a theocracy in this state. A few months ago, polls showed roughly 75% support for the initiative. That's called people thinking for themselves. Now the predominant church is trying to flex it's muscle and exert control over the thought processes of it's members. I think this will be fun to watch - but I regret that people that could use the medicine have to suffer (collateral damage?) while the battle for control is fought.

• antodav Tampa, FL
    Aug. 24, 2018 2:24 p.m.

You know, it’s a great thing to be able to belong to a church whose doctrine clearly states that its leaders speak the word of God on spiritual matters, but can be (and often is) wrong when it comes to political matters. There’s no basis at all for the claims of the Church or any of the other organizations opposing this referendum in Utah, and even if there was, correlation does not equal causation. There is, however, *ample* evidence of the destructive impact that marijuana prohibition and the War on Drugs in general has had on families, communities, and the nation as a whole. I get where the Church is coming from, and I understand that its position is not going to change until the position of the Federal Government finally changes. But for the sake of citizens of Utah in need, I really hope that its opposition fails to stop the passage of this law. Acts 10:15.

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 2:08 p.m.

@Ranch:
    "The 1st Amendment guarantees freedom of religion and that means that neither I, nor any other citizen has to be subjected to the whims of LDS church leaders."

And neither I nor any other citizen should be subject to the whims of sexual minorities that desire to force us to join them in celebrating their unions. Kind of goes both ways, you see.

You remain perfectly free to vote on this initiative as you see fit. I and others enjoy that same right.

And every person, every group of private citizens, has full rights to voice their opinions. That includes organizations with which you disagree or against which you hold the most strenuous animus.

Groups that oppose legalizing recreational marijuana have as much right to speak out as do groups that support it, or that claim not to support it but want this initiative passed anyway.

But before supporting State nullification of federal pot laws, supporters might ask what other federal laws our court rulings they want to see the State of Utah nullify. Our State constitution makes very clear where we stand on the proper definition of marriage. Shall we nullify federal court rulings on marriage once we nullify drug laws?

• Freiheit Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 1:51 p.m.

"My point? The LDS church, and any other church, too, has every right, even a duty, to speak out on issues of morality. What do people think churches should do these days?
    My point? The LDS church, and any other church, too, has every right, even a duty, to speak out on issues of morality. What do people think churches should do these days?"

Fine. So where's the email decrying separation of families at the border. Or is this a good example of situational morality?

• charlie24 Sandy, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 1:14 p.m.

The mormon church who has opposed medical marijuana for eons now tells us they support it, but only if done on a path with a thousand hoops that will take another decade. This new inspiration, at the 11th hour, comes from overwhelming public opinion that has shifted away from their position. Again, like position changes on other issues, some change is possible, slowly.
    They want a doctor to prescribe it in specific dosages knowing that everywhere else they generally counsel patients with general advice because each patient is so different and let them decide. The stigma of a pot prescription will defiantly take some time. Next, they feel it must be done in a pharmacy. This requirement is handy because due to federal laws, this will not be possible for a long time. Last, they want to be assured that the drug is not misused by someone other than the patient. This even though we already know pot can’t at all be controlled and recreational users want nothing to do with low THC medical marijuana.
    But now the mormon church would like you to think that they are sympathetic to incredibly needy children with seizures and adults in near hopeless states. But what have they ever done to help?

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 12:50 p.m.

"The 1st Amendment also guarantees freedom of assembly, and free speech.

In all reality, you are not subject to the whims of the Church. However, the right of free speech will not be limited because of objections.

I just ask why have not the Anti-Church individuals called for the removal of the tax status or limit the free speech of the Islamic Society of Utah, or the Episcopal Diocese, that have both asked their members to vote no.

Why do those who hate the Church, think that the Constitution does not apply to others because they disagree?

• Ranch Here, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 11:42 a.m.

@Caravan;

Morality is extremely subjective (and no, our laws aren't based on "morality").

• Lia Sandy, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 11:33 a.m.

Pot smokers will get their weed with or without church interference.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 11:29 a.m.

From the Utah State Constitution--

So what does it mean if not enforced?

Sec. 4. [Religious liberty.] The rights of conscience shall never be infringed. The State shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; no religious test shall be required as a qualification for any office of public trust or for any vote at any election; nor shall any person be incompetent as a witness or juror on account of religious belief or the absence thereof. There shall be no union of Church and State, nor shall any church dominate the State or interfere with its functions. No public money or property shall be appropriated for or applied to any religious worship, exercise or instruction, or for the support of any ecclesiastical establishment. No property qualification shall be required of any person to vote, or hold office, except as provided in this Constitution.

• Susan Storm Sandy, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 11:18 a.m.

I'm a faithful member, but the church is overstepping on this one. Times are changing.

• SMcloud Sandy, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 11:18 a.m.

The church should not get involved.

There are reasonable people who have sick kids who will be affected by this bias against marijuana. There are medical reasons to take this drug, this just makes it so those sick people aren't criminals.

• The Caravan Moves On Enid, OK
    Aug. 24, 2018 11:12 a.m.

To those who claim that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints should stay out of this because it is only "political", you are not even remotely being objective.

Laws, ALL laws, are always grounded in morality; what is "right"?, what is "wrong"?, what is "good" and "helpful" to our society?, what would be "destructive" and "hurtful" to us as a people? Those questions are not merely political but "moral" from A to Z.

My point? The LDS church, and any other church, too, has every right, even a duty, to speak out on issues of morality. What do people think churches should do these days? Hand out milk and cookies?

• hibby North Salt Lake, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 11:07 a.m.

So we DO want a nanny state? We DO want bureaucrats to make decisions for us because they know whats best for us and we don't.

We DON'T support agency. We DON'T support individual liberties. We DON'T support personel responsibility. We SUPPORT big government programs like the drug war and prison program.

We WANT the goverment to regulate soda, straws, guns, marijuana, and anything else they feel like regulating!

Even though people who want it for medical reasons are already getting it, we DO want to wreck their lives and criminalize them if they're caught.

If your kid were suffering would you obey this law or just drive to Colorado to get them what they need? ....or just buy it illegally from a neighbor? .....or watch them suffer for another 20 years?

Perhaps we can design a state where every evil thing is banned and only good can be chosen and then all will be forced to obey! Perhaps we can ban coffee, tea, and excessive meat eatting too!

Agency.....totally over rated.

• Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    Aug. 24, 2018 10:59 a.m.

Aspirin is salicylic acid. It comes from willow bark.

I am going to go and cut willow bark and put it in plastic baggies and label them "aspirin" and sell them on the street. I wonder if the fda will come down on me formtotally ignoring GMP ( good manfacturing practices) and all sorts of medical requirements? they will. the reason is that there are no recreational willow bark users. this is being driven by recreational users of marijuana rather than a valid desire to medical progress.

• NeifyT Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 10:49 a.m.

I got the e-mail... and I have to say that this is one of those issues that I do not believe my church leaders know what they are talking about.

Of course, it is not surprising given church history in which prayers in General Conference were said specifically asking that prohibition of alcohol not be repealed, the irony of course Utah cast the deciding vote to repeal prohibition.

The damage caused by outlawing pot is vast; the bloodiest war in US history is being fought right this very minute; neighbor against neighbor; a far worse Civil War than the war given that title.

I am voting for the proposition. Medicinal should absolutely be legalized ... but even recreational should at the very least be decriminalized. The war being fought is an immoral war... and we can do better. We should do better. We must do better!

• JimmyMcGill Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 10:23 a.m.

Drop the red herrings about increased exposure to youth usage. After five years of legal recreational cannabis in Washington state and Colorado, they experienced a DECREASED in youth usage. I'm a numbers guy, so here are actual stats that speak to logic and reason and don't promote fear-based, ignorant heresay.
    The only negative correlation found was an increase in DUIs. However, the report doesn't specify whether those arrests were purely cannabis-related. Additionally, this is in states where ANYONE can purchase cannabis for recreational usage. Prop 2 is about providing the plant and its derivatives for medicinal purposes. Quality control increases, the taxes generated 300M on average (since when is the LDS church not interested in revenue gains for the state/itself). Also, illegal purchasing and drug-related crimes went down. Now, let's look at states with strictly medical usage: fewer annual drug dosage is a big one. But what about patient usage? In states with similar demographics to Utah (in this case, Maryland), cannabis is medically used by .65% of the population. Stay out this one, "Church."

• Ranch Here, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 10:17 a.m.

The FDA will approve a drug based on a single study that shows it has a benefit; the pharm companies will conduct study after study - failure after failure - until they get the one that shows what they want it to show - and then they do NOT publish the results of the failed studies.

Those who think that FDA approval means anything are fooling themselves. Just look at all the lawsuits over the terrible results of many, many *approved* medications.

Those who just say "follow the prophet" need to think more for themselves.

• Sal Provo, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 10:08 a.m.

It doesn't help that the Deseret News periodically publishes stories of the gravely ill who have benefitted from medical marijuana. It just whets citizen appetite to have legal access to it. However I will be voting no on the initiative, but at the same time hoping for legal relief from opiates and soon. Let's not take years to study this.

• Hockey Fan Miles City, MT
    Aug. 24, 2018 10:07 a.m.

@ the individual from AV,CA: Really? You have done the very things that you have just criticized. And you are from out of state, as well. My agenda is to express my opinion on this matter. That is my right, regardless of where I live. It is your right, regardless of where you live. I did live in UT for nearly 10 years, for what it's worth; and I have family members that live in Utah, for what it's worth. Opinions are just that: opinions. Nobody is trying to coerce anyone. This is an important issue about which there are diverse and, in some cases, vehement opinions. Utahns will decide the issue at the voting booth, perhaps in the courts later on.

• Farmington Fan Farmington, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 9:59 a.m.

As Utahns, we have waited for years for our Utah legislature to legalize medical marijuana use, and they have done nothing whatsoever about it. Yet, federal agencies and U.S. legislators allow big money medical pharma to put all sorts of untested, extremely dangerous drugs on the market every day. Maybe we should be prosecuting those entities criminally for pushing dangerous opioid drugs onto the general public for the past 30 years. I'm not sure why marijuana has become such a "bogeyman" in U.S. culture. Which drug has the more serious side effects: marijuana or Oxycodone?

Now on the eve of losing control over that issue--based on the voter initiative--the do-nothing Utah legislature has attempted to pull out all of the big guns, including a political position by the LDS Church. It reminds me of the issue of national health insurance. Where would we be today, if the Democrats had not pushed through an imperfect law?

In my opinion, even an imperfect medical marijuana law is better than having nothing in place for the next 10 years. I'm voting for the initiative to finally get a medical marijuana law in place in Utah, and then, if it has flaws, the legislature can fix it.

• bassoonlady OREM, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 9:53 a.m.

y ask y,
    Did you not notice all of the other names on that list, including multiple health and public safety groups?
    Andy jaggy,
    The legislature tried to pass a bill already, and legislators are already talking about trying again.

Remember when big pharma lobbied and was able to start advertising their drugs on TV? Why? So that they could sell more drugs and make more money off of hypochondriacs who insist to their Dr. that they think they need these drugs to fix problems they might not even have. The opiate crisis isn't just because dr,'s over prescribe, it's because over time and encouraged by drug companies, we have created a culture where drugs/medicine is the answer to everything.
    But turning to MM as the answer isn't going to help the problem as much as people want it to. There are legitimate needs for MM, but it, like all other medicines, drugs, and herbs, need to be carefully studied and prescribed/used only when needed. I will guarantee you that without more regulation and protection, the majority of people who will use it wont be those that actually need it, and it will not fix the idea that *every* problem can be fixed with some medicine.

• amagnetick AV, CA
    Aug. 24, 2018 9:43 a.m.

It is interesting to see the several comments from people outside of UT. I don't live in UT, and wouldn't try and persuade anyone in UT about how to vote on this initiative. It appears that these outsiders have an agenda, perhaps they should worry about what is going on in their own communities and states.

• dordrecht Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 9:40 a.m.

I don't need any organization to imbue enough fear to make me vote one way or the other. The pharmaceutical industry is of course against this measure because it might cut into their profit. However, medical marijuana can also alleviate a lot of suffering, and that's its purpose.

• Farmington Fan Farmington, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 9:38 a.m.

We've be waiting for the Utah legislature to approve a medical marijuana bill for at least 5 years. The best they have done is to legalize CBD oil for an extremely narrow, restricted use, which is almost impossible to obtain--namely, a person who suffers from seizures who has no other alternative treatment, who gets a doctor's prescription based on that narrow circumstance, who then turns that prescription into the State of Utah, and is issued a permit to purchase CBD oil. Wow! Impressive performance by our legislature!

Based on our legislature's past record, what can we expect them to do in the future--absolutely nothing for the next 10 years!!

I am an active member of the LDS Church, but am extremely disappointed in the deceptive press release and email sent to all members by current Church leadership. Apparently, the ultimate healer--our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ--approves of the use of medical marijuana, but then He entrusts our incompetent Utah legislature to implement it. That makes no sense to me whatsoever. I seriously doubt that the part of the message, which entrusts the implementation of the legalization of marijuana to our Utah legislature, is inspired.

• Vanceone Provo, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 9:36 a.m.

All those bitter people who say the LDS church shouldn't be involved: why not? Because they oppose it? "Stay out of politics!" Really? Just because you want to silence a moral view you oppose doesn't mean the church must be quiet.

Who is the source for our morality? It's not government, no matter how much the Democrats and the liberals preach that government has replaced God.

Morality, what is right and wrong, is the primary occupation of religion. Just because Democrats and leftists have decided that government is the arbiter of what is right and wrong does not make it true, and does not mean that religion should be silent on moral issues. They should speak up, and in this case they have. Every major religion in Utah has come out in opposition to this initiative. Even the Muslims, and since the left only listens to Islamic types, they should listen to them now.

Ask any prison guard and they will tell you about the evils Marijuana leads to. For every "my child has 10 seizures a day and only marijuana will help" story, we have lots more "My child is in jail because he started on marijuana and then went off the rails." Funny how those stories are suppressed, isn't it?

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 9:23 a.m.

The church should not be trying to influence this.

• Hockey Fan Miles City, MT
    Aug. 24, 2018 9:23 a.m.

I think that is a very reasonable email. What happens in the voting booth is a private matter, so people are free to vote their conscience. Getting riled up over the fact that the Church leaders have taken a position on this issue is a waste of emotion and energy. Many will disagree with me. That's fine. I'm glad to see that the Church supports the use of medical marijuana for people who are suffering great physical pain. That the Church leaders feel the product should be controlled in a medically responsible manner is their prerogative to express. However, as I noted earlier, everyone will have the freedom to vote his/her conscience in the privacy of the voting booth, with nobody looking over his/her shoulder.

• Prude Henderson, NV
    Aug. 24, 2018 9:14 a.m.

I live in Las Vegas and it's been horrible since Marijuana was legalized. I smell weed everywhere and haven't gone a day without smelling it in a long time. I see kids smoking it out in the open and nobody cares. A huge proportion of our billboards and advertising are all marijuana. Every flight I've taken home to Las Vegas always has visitors talking about what dispensaries they're going to as soon as they get here. Your communities will now attract weed tourists. Those in favor of it say money going to schools and government. Look at where the money as actually going in places like Las Vegas. It didn't make it to anywhere that counts. The only people benefiting are the dispensaries, many of which only accept cash - that's not suspicious. UTAH, don't vote this in, you'll regret it!!

• sgallen Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 9:10 a.m.

This is unfortunate that people have stuck to the dogma of the past. I hope that we will have compassion and be open-minded toward suffering patients.

• bamafone Salem, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 8:56 a.m.

Weed heads gonna be like, ahh dude man, bummer

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 8:46 a.m.

Show me a good faith measure and effort by our law makers to put into plan a better alternative and I will vote no on this. Yet we see them continually do nothing and drag their feet time and time again.

• Pick 6 Eureka, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 8:27 a.m.

I don't want to inhale secondhand marijuana smoke.

And I'm all for it being used medicinally, though under the supervision of doctors.

• ConradGurch Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 24, 2018 8:23 a.m.

carman - Wasatch Front, UT

Very destructive? How so? Why won't you mention the good that it does with kids who have over 100 seizures in a day???

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 7:56 a.m.

This isn't a moral issue, it's political so why are they doing this?

I've never used marijuana and don't plan on doing so but I'm voting yes on this. The product is much safer than pain pills. Seriously, why do they think they should control this? I don't see any other churches sending emails to members telling them how to vote.

• OHBU Columbus, OH
    Aug. 24, 2018 7:43 a.m.

The Church's position is a transparent ploy to kill the bill, with no good faith effort to replace it with something better. They will only support it if it is distributed through a licensed pharmacy, but they know that is currently impossible. Not even the legislature can make that happen.

To those outside watching it just looks like cruelty based on unwarranted fear.

• Dmorgan Herriman, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 7:31 a.m.

A former President of the Young Women made the following statement that speaks volumes as to the effect the LDS Church’s support will have on Proposition 2, “When the Prophet speaks, the debate is over.” Enough said.

• AT Elk River, MN
    Aug. 24, 2018 7:03 a.m.

Please go to youtube and listen to Milton Friedman on why drugs should be legalized. He offers an excellent perspective on why this bill is a good idea.

It's interesting, considering the LDS Church's history with the law in the US, that they feel compelled to employ the coercive power of the state to infringe on the private property of an individual (their body).

• Eastern CO Coug Elizabeth, CO
    Aug. 24, 2018 6:48 a.m.

This type of legislation has wrecked havoc with the youth and families in Colorado despite the Liberal Left touting the success of their pro drug agenda here in Colorado. First medical here and very soon thereafter, recreation drugs for all. Older adults are trying pot here for the first time since it is legal. Pot shops are everywhere here and the thick smoke is pouring out of cars and people on the street especially in Downtown Denver and Boulder, the bastian of liberalism in the state. All to go along with the San Francisco like liberal homeless agenda. Piles of poop here too. Really shows well for our decaying morals.

• Ranch Here, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 6:46 a.m.

Tax churches that dabble in politics.

Religious freedom also means freedom from the control of Mormon Leaders!!

• Thomas Paine South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 6:28 a.m.

I hope Utahns will stop and think before voting. This initiative only protects those who want marijuana and not everyone else. It needs some serious revision, which is not currently legally possible.

• Zabilde Riverdale, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 2:34 a.m.

As with the prior comments. Medical Cannabis needs to be legalized. But true medical use will be under the close direction and supervision of a doctor through-out the treatment, most importantly the Doctor decides the most effective treatment dosage and regime, and the medicine is issued via prescription by a trained and licensed pharmacist. Not by an untrained dispensary clerk with no medical training or knowledge.

We can and should legalize medicinal use, but do it the right way, through the legislature with carefully crafted legislation that keeps medical care under the supervision of medical experts.

We almost had a good bill passed this last year but the recreational use supporters killed it by attaching amendments that changed it from a medicinal use bill to a recreational use bill. If they hadn't tried to take it beyond the scope the bill was planned for we'd already have proper, medically supervised medicinal use in this state.

The Church speaks out on this because they deal with the results of use, abuse, and addiction every day. They spend a great deal of time, effort and money on their addiction recovery program, as well as counseling for those affected.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 1:25 a.m.

"There are a significant number of Utah elected officials and others running for office this year, who have signed the statement. We have chosen not to include their names here,"

An important detail since churches can't endorse candidates (but can endorse positions on issues like this one). However, they missed one, or at least how it's presented in this article missed one. Mitt Romney is running for Senate in this election.

• conservative scientist Lindon, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 10:15 p.m.

I have studied this initiative in some detail and have been sent information from the Utah Medical Association on several occasions detailing why they are against it. The reasons that the vast majority of doctors of Utah are against this initiative and the official medical society of Utah is against the initiative are sound.

Among other things, the language of the initiative means that basically anyone can get it for any reason. Prosecuting someone with marijuana becomes nearly impossible. Rather than being dispensed at a pharmacy, it would be dispensed at a pot shop, with advice being given by someone with no medical training - the requirements for someone to give official advice would be about as stringent as a gas station attendant who gives advice about what type of cigarettes one should buy.

Yes opioids are dangerous, and there do appear to be some legitimate conditions and uses for medical marijuana. This initiative is the wrong way to go about legalizing it for these very rare conditions.

Reason, in addition to spiritual feelings, cause me to want to follow the advice of our church leaders on this matter.

• carman Wasatch Front, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 7:48 p.m.

This initiative is too broad and does not do enough to protect the young and innocent from the dangers of this very destructive recreational drug. I applaud the varied organizations who have come out against this Initiative, and trust that the good people of Utah will send Prop 2 packing. A well written bill would allow people who actually need medical marijuana, without all of the risk inherent in this proposed legislation. Good riddance.