The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints joins Utah coalition saying no to marijuana initiative, but yes to medical marijuana

• philfish Orem, UT
    Aug. 31, 2018 3:36 a.m.

All mammals have cannabinoid systems, humans included. THC has a natural analog called anandimide which all of us produce. Some of us need boosted levels of THC, CBD, other cannabinoids and terpenes that cannabis based medicines provide.
    Whole-plant based medicines seem to terrify many of our Western allopathic doctors even here in Utah, home to many essential oil manufacturers. Yes, one form of cannabis medicine is its essential oil.
    I for one need a small amount of cannabis everyday or I have horrible nerve pain, something that is very hard to control with western pharmaceuticals. I can't wait for a "perfect" law. Many are suffering including many of our veterans!.
    Thanks for listening, vote yes on Prop 2!

• ConradGurch Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 28, 2018 12:48 p.m.

While the opioid crisis affects the nation at large, a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that Utah’s drug overdose mortality rate was higher than the national average.

In fact, prescription drug overdoses cause more deaths in Utah than firearms, falls and motor vehicle crashes, according to the Utah Department of Health. From 2013-15, Utah ranked No. 7 in deaths from prescription drug overdoses.

But opioids aren’t the only issue. Despite its label as a “stone cold sober” state, Utah also ranked seventh in the nation for the number of alcohol poisoning deaths. And Utah was recently cited as one of the three states with the highest level of depression, according to a 2018 study by Blue Cross Blue Shield.

• quackquack Park City, UT
    Aug. 28, 2018 8:41 a.m.

Why don't we put it on the ballot and let the people decide, Isn't that what we call a democratic society. I mean Non LDS folks don't get to make decisions in how the LDS church is run.

• sgallen Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 9:14 p.m.

I hope that we can put fear and dogma aside as we exercise compassion toward our fellow man. The status quo will continue to promulgate suffering.

• Chris Cannon Mapleton, UT
    Aug. 27, 2018 12:29 p.m.

All cannabinoids are legal for study under Utah and federal law, with THC limited by Utah to less than 10% of the cannabidiol in a studied dose. Doctors familiar with cannabinoids believe that restriction on THC, the psychoactive component, provides an adequate amount.
    Utah studies can be started quickly as opposed to federal FDA studies that still take a couple of years to prepare and execute.
    So Utahns can develop a sound scientific basis for what actually works as opposed to what people hope it may do.
    There is no doubt that cannabinoids are helpful and Utah can be the leader in this area just as it is the leader in the genetic cause/relationship with disease.
    Please, let us use wisdom and judgment in understanding how cannabinoids work for the good and benefit of man--all mankind, not just those of us in Utah.

• RedShirtHarvard Cambridge, MA
    Aug. 27, 2018 7:12 a.m.

To "UtahTroutStalker" the issue isn't the medical use of the drug. The issue is how to legalize it and distribute it.

The question remains unanswered that is the key to the debate. Can a state create a law that goes against federal law?

If you say that Utah can make a law that goes against federal law, then Utah doesn't need to get the Feds to turn over land to Utah, it can just make a law declaring federal lands to be under Utah State control. California could declare an open border with Mexico. New York could declare all EPA regulations void. The order of law will be destroyed and States will have power to ignore any federal law they want.

• UtahTroutStalker Draper, UT
    Aug. 26, 2018 12:03 a.m.

The LDS church says it supports medical cannabis, well they are kind of late to the party.

They LDS church could have gotten out ahead on this and helped craft legislation to support their new position, but they did not. They have delayed all previous attempts, and now the people of the state of Utah are about to speak just like they have in CA, NV, WA, OR, AZ, CO.....

Eventually, I am sure they will attach the cannabis dispensaries to the State Liquor Stores and charge a huge tax on it.

• Farmington Fan Farmington, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 1:18 p.m.

Marijuana is a drug. Why can't we treat it like one?

Frankly, I'm surprised that big pharma and big agriculture-based companies haven't combined forces to get into the medical marijuana business. With the recent unpopularity of genetically modified plant foods, the businesses that have the expertise to genetically modify plants need to branch out into different markets to stay afloat. Also, big tobacco companies have also been losing a lot of business. All of these businesses could branch into the business of medical marijuana and make a lot of money--then all of a sudden, medical marijuana would gain respectability.

If marijuana really does have the ability to be a much better pain killer with more manageable side-effects, or to be a much better treatment for anxiety, lack of focus and emotional pain caused by depression, or a much better treatment for seizures, or a treatment for cancer, why shouldn't big pharmaceutical companies and big agricultural-related businesses jump head first into the business of producing medical marijuana?

• Farmington Fan Farmington, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 10:38 a.m.

It's curious to me that marijuana has been around so long, and has been used (illegally) by so many individuals to "self-medicate" formany medical issues with some degree of success, but there have been almost no medical studies conducted to determine which medical conditions, if any, the active ingredients in marijuana (THC or CBD, or a combination of both) might be successful in treating.

It appears that marijuana currently has a terrible stigma detracting from its potential medical benefits, due to ill effects from its recreational use (impairing motivation, inhibitions, judgment, cognitive and physical abilities, much like alcohol).

If THC or a combination of THC and CBD can be a better pain medication than opioids, which have created the current Utah opioid addiction epidemic, why not to make that medicine available? If CBD or a combination of CBD and THC can prevent seizures; treat anxiety, lack of focus and emotional pain of those suffering from depression or bi-polar; or treat cancer; with little or no side effects, why not make that medicine available?

None of this medical research can take place until Utah's laws are changed making medicinal use of marijuana legal.

• Farmington Fan Farmington, UT
    Aug. 25, 2018 10:09 a.m.

Marijuana contains two major cannabinoids (& other cannabinoids in trace amounts)--(1) tetrahydrocannbinol (THC), which is psychotropic, and (2) cannabidiol (CBD), which is non-psychotropic.

Currently, Utah marijuana laws lump both major cannabinoids together--THC and CBD--and prohibit the use of both substances, although CBD does not have a psychotropic side effect (doesn't get the user "high" or destroy brain cells, similar to THC), and does not reasonably appear to be addictive, but reasonably appears to provide some significant medical benefits, including controlling seizures (for those individuals who suffer from seizures) and reducing anxiety and improving focus (for individuals with mental health issues such as bi-polar).

THC appears to have some medical uses as well (acting as a much more non-addictive pain killer than Oxycodone, for example), but has more negative side effects (it gets the user "high" and destroys brain cells).

It reasonably appears that the two cannabinoids could also be combined, blended & mainpulated to possibly create additional medical benefits, similar to how other natural occurring substances are blended and used in nutritional supplements.

• MoreMan San Diego, CA
    Aug. 24, 2018 3:51 p.m.

The church has remained on the questionably wrong side of history on so many issues for so long... why change course now?

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 1:45 p.m.

Seems to me there is a rather simple question for folks to answer for themselves.

Either The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is just an organization of people who share certain values or lifestyle. If this is the case, then The Church is no different than another organization including your favorite political party, social coalition, service club, book club, etc. Its members have every right to freedom of speech both collectively and individually. Just like those organizations supporting this initiative do.

Or, The Church is actually God's Kingdom on Earth, lead by Jesus Christ who reveals His will to living Prophets and Apostles. If this is true, The Church and its members still enjoy every right to voice their opinions in the public sphere. In addition, we then have the privilege of deciding whether to follow prophet counsel or not.

And make no mistake, nothing like this goes out without full approval of the Prophet/President and 1st Presidency.

Others will make their choices. As for me and my household, I intend to follow the prophet as best I can. Following only when I fully agree is not really very faithful.

• Trout Hyde Park, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 1:36 p.m.

@Dan Maloy
    You are right - I do believe the church is run by men. Men doing their best. Good men, but men all the less.
    I believe this because it is what they have said. Elder Uchtdorf (President at the time), said "I suppose the Church would be perfect only if it were run by perfect beings. God is perfect, and His doctrine is pure. But He works through us—His imperfect children—and imperfect people make mistakes." (See his General conference address Oct. 2013 Come Join With Us)
    President Brigham Young wrote spoke about and wrote abhorrent things about minorities and mixed-race marriage. Today the prophets have disavowed his teachings "Today, the Church disavows the theories advanced in the past that black skin is a sign of divine disfavor or curse, or that it reflects unrighteous actions in a premortal life; that mixed-race marriages are a sin; or that blacks or people of any other race or ethnicity are inferior in any way to anyone else. " (See Race and the priesthood essay on lds.org)
    My point being, these are men and they are flawed. I can give you dozens of examples of policies made and changed by subsequent church leadership, men are in charge.

• jjjdsd CENTERVILLE, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 12:06 p.m.

Apparently no, the Church is teaching a correct principle, and is letting the members govern themselves. What is showing is people are objecting to the Church teaching correct principles.

• Dan Maloy Enid, OK
    Aug. 24, 2018 11:56 a.m.

@ Wasatch Al - South Jordan, UT - Aug. 24, 2018 11:18 a.m. “I teach them correct principles, and they govern themselves,” Joseph Smith. Is this one of the church principles that will be removed soon?"

That's what the LDS church just did: taught the members correct principles. The principle they taught was that bad laws don't bring about good outcomes. Then they left the members to choose for themselves.

• Wasatch Al South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 11:18 a.m.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 10:59 a.m.

@Trout - Hyde Park, UT

"I don't mind my church telling me to love my neighbor, be more Christ-like, etc. When they send me an email to tell me how to vote - that is too far. Tell me to study it out and decide for myself. Do not tell me how to vote. It felt like a very manipulative tactic to me."
    _____________

I don't see it as manipulative at all. If The Church kept track of which members vote, and how they vote, then that would be manipulative. If The Church took privileges away (such as Temple Recommends, partaking of the Sacrament, etc.) because of how a person voted, then that would be manipulative. But The Church won't do that.

You are free to "study it out and decide for myself" and vote how you see fit, without any repercussions from The Church, and without anybody in The Church knowing how you vote.

There is nothing manipulative about that at all.

• Dan Maloy Enid, OK
    Aug. 24, 2018 11:00 a.m.

@ Trout -

With that attitude, you likely won't last much longer in the Church. Are you offended now? What for? You say you have no problem telling you to love your neighbor, but you have a problem when they "tell you how to vote".

My question to you is, who do you think is in charge of the LDS church? "Men" or "Jesus"? By your own words you must think it is merely "men". Why do I say that? Because you think that what the leaders of the LDS church said is ridiculous, i.e., I assume you would say Christ would not do ridiculous or foolish things, therefore you obviously think the Church is only led by "men".

What does Christ say? Matthew 10:34-38...

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household.

He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me."

• Dan Maloy Enid, OK
    Aug. 24, 2018 10:23 a.m.

@ jsf -
    You asked who believes in God and revelation these days?

I do.

• BleedCougarBlue Enid, OK
    Aug. 24, 2018 10:14 a.m.

To those claiming that marijuana is a "harmless" drug, you are naÏve in the extreme. It is addicting and destructive. I know of more than one person who is destroying their life by living in idle/going nowhere and accomplishing nothing beyond high school (no family, no job, no drive or work ethic) due to being in a constant marijuana-filled haze. A good friend of mine in Florida has a son who is in this boat and it kills my friend to see his son throwing his life away. But this will "never" happen to anyone in Utah, right?

To those claiming that they are members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints but oppose the Church's position, you are acting in opposition to those you claim you have faith in. There is no middle ground. As prophesied, the split is growing every single day. What side will you choose?

To those claiming that the LDS church should stay out of "politics", this isn't about "politics", it is about "morality". Should the LDS church stay quiet on issues involving morality and ethics?

• Trout Hyde Park, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 10:14 a.m.

I don't mind my church telling me to love my neighbor, be more Christ-like, etc. When they send me an email to tell me how to vote - that is too far. Tell me to study it out and decide for myself. Do not tell me how to vote. It felt like a very manipulative tactic to me. If the church really wanted medical marijuana for those in need they would not have staved off the legislation several times. This initiative is a direct result of their involvement in lobbying our government. Now they are lobbying me as a member of their church. I am waiting for the email where they tell me I must vote for Mit Romney as well.

• dordrecht Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 10:04 a.m.

Fear is Satan's best weapon.

• Ankle-breaker Alpine, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 8:57 a.m.

Three thoughts:

1-If the marijuana initiative is really about medicine, why is the Utah Medical Association against it? Physicians know full well that it doesn't take much for a patient to present subjective symptoms of "chronic pain" to persuade her/his doctor to issue a medical card.

2-This initiative is an invitation for a conflict with federal law enforcement. Congress has criminalized the cultivation, distribution, and possession of marijuana. 21 U.S.C. § 801. We may go through periods of lax enforcement by the feds, but it is foolish for Utah to adopt a law directly in conflict with federal law.

3-Human nature teaches us that users will abuse the law. Once a patient receives a card, she/he will be free to grow up to 6 plants, with no effective controls over enforcing this limit or the dosage used by the patient.

• Thomas Jefferson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 7:57 a.m.

More 'needs more study' while people suffer.

This plant has been around since before humans and there has never been an overdose.
    Ignore these people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Vote yes.

And if you need cannabis just ask nearly anyone or drive to Colorado or Nevada. Stop waiting for these guys to 'study' more. They have no intention of ever doing anything about it.

• CanadaUTE Canada, 00
    Aug. 23, 2018 10:23 p.m.

I grew up in Utah. I spent the last 20 years in Nevada where we have had medical marijuana for a decade. The complete breakdown of society didn't occur like the Church is warning. In fact, recreational marijuana became legal over a year ago and neither of our teenage boys became potheads. Change is scary, but don't let fear stand in the way of doing what is right. We just moved to Canada. Canada is known for having a very high quality of life.......much higher than the USA. Recreational marijuana will become legal up here nationwide in October. We're not scared. We have our own values and will continue to live by them.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 9:29 p.m.

The church should stay out of it.

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    Aug. 23, 2018 7:59 p.m.

@ Fitness Freak & Lia: Just because the Church takes a neutral stand on candidates during elections, does not mean they must take a neutral stand on other issues. In fact, if someday God asks the Church someday to take a stand on a candidate, it will. The Church has every right to speak out. The quote from the Utah state constitution, given by Lia, is not relevant here.

@ Neanderthal: Even though pot isn’t in the word of wisdom, do you not believe that our modern leaders also speak for God?

@ Boberino: Just because pot is abuse-able does not mean it cannot have good uses. D&C 89 says that alcohol and tobacco have correct uses. I wonder how many vegetables we eat routinely would be bad for us if we smoked them.

• jdixvx Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 23, 2018 6:45 p.m.

"We call on lawmakers, patients and community leaders to come together to find an appropriate solution to benefit all Utahns" -- well, a coalition of you are already together, and there is no shortage of policy talent. So come up with a better alternative so those patients who will benefit from therapeutic use no longer have to wait to alleviate their suffering. Governor Herbert, call a special session. Don't just say "no": Lead!

• I.M. Fletch Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 6:38 p.m.

"They didn't really offer a solution, did they?"

Pretty much sums it up.

• Coug007 Lehi, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 5:22 p.m.

I agree with the Utah coalition opposing the Prop 2 initiative. I will be voting no and encouraging friends to do the same. As the coalition states, this is NOT the right way to allow for safe use of marijuana for patients or the general public. We already have a well-established system to help ensure patients and doctors know what they are getting and to reduce risks. This proposition is set up outside that system, and is unwise. Vote NO on Prop 2.

• Steve C. Warren WEST VALLEY CITY, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 5:18 p.m.

Opponents of the medical marijuana initiative are effectively saying let's wait a number of years until we can come up with a perfect law. It's good that the Founding Fathers did not allow the perfect be the enemy of the good. Otherwise, they'd never have approved the Constitution.

Also, opponents of the initiative have been foot-dragging for years on this, and today they said, "Let's drag our feet for a few more years."

• Keepgoing US, 00
    Aug. 23, 2018 4:45 p.m.

This was my understanding of the church’s position all along. I’ve never read or heard of anything in which the LDS church outright opposed medical marijuana, I’ve only heard opposition to the intitaitve. But, people will find what they want to in any circumstance.

The church wants people who are in need of medical marijuana to have that as an option, but they want to go about it in the right way. That’s exactly how it should be done. The LDS church cares about those who are suffering, and they also care about the negative impacts that this initiative could have on families and individuals.

Just as those suffering with chronic pain or seizures, want to have access to the medical marijuana, there are also families who are experiencing major negative consequences and repercussions because they are dealing with family members who have a marijuana addiction.

So many argue that marijuana is harmless and non addictive, but that is simply not true. In fact, if you were to talk recovering drug addicts, most of them would share the belief that marijuana is unsafe and addictive. If this initiative is passed we will see an increase in the harmful affects of recreational marijuana use.

• Rural Guy Florence, AZ
    Aug. 23, 2018 4:42 p.m.

I'm a little surprise the LDS Church is opening opposing this legislation. Usually they state their position, but stop short of stating support or opposition, leaving that up to the free agency of the member. I expect that is the case in this instance as well though I wish they would clarify that this is the case I have a dear friends whose life changed after her debilitating pain went away after the use of medical marijuana in AZ. Certainly there will be those who abuse marijuana, but they will find a way to get it anyway. It's those who want to follow the law who will benefit and use it properly. Since I live in AZ, I can only say that I know where my vote will be case when related issues in my state come up for consideration.

• RedShirtHarvard Cambridge, MA
    Aug. 23, 2018 4:32 p.m.

To "andyjaggy" again, you are wrong. There are legal forms of marijuana specifically for the problems you list. Please look up Marinol and talk to your doctor about it.

The FDA has approved a handful of medications that are marijuana based.

• Thomas Jefferson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 4:28 p.m.

RedShirtHarvard said:

"To "rhodger" so you would prefer to violate federal law and the FDA to get access to marijuana. If you are willing to let states defy drug laws, what other federal laws can states violate?"

And just like that one of our 'states rights conservatives' becomes a federalist. Amazing.

@andyjaggy
    Just ask anyone under the age of 50 if they can 'find you a bag'. Your wife will have some by tonight. Its everywhere which makes this entire facade so funny.

Vote yes.

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    Aug. 23, 2018 4:20 p.m.

The Prophet has a better connection to God than anyone else I know of. If he says this proposition is too dangerous, that's good enough for me.

• Thomas Paine South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 3:32 p.m.

This is more about property rights that can also impact religious freedom. No one should be forced to allow marijuana on their property. This current referendum does not grant that freedom.

• rhodger Cedar City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 3:31 p.m.

Desert Pete. I appreciate your faith in your religious leaders. I understand how your regard for them would have more weight than my opinion. But just consider this; faith has one serious problem, it can be and often is misplaced. When you read these comments please consider the views of Latter Day Saints who take a very different position on this issue than you.

Further, I suggest that your apocalyptic prophecy on what will happen if the medical marijuana initiative is passed has not been demonstrated in the 31 other states who have approved it.

• everyonejustrelax Liberal Central (Sugarhouse), UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 3:27 p.m.

The disgusting thing about this initiative are the parents who parade their children in front of the media, acting as a visual, in order to advance their own political agenda. Its a loud, noisy, minority of voters who want this to pass.

• Seldom Seen Smith Orcutt, CA
    Aug. 23, 2018 3:19 p.m.

Marijuana lowers short term memory and the ability to concentrate.

• blackattack Orem, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 3:08 p.m.

Hopefully this clarifies any misunderstandings some critics have of the The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints' position on this particular marijuana initiative.

It's about the well-being and safety of the citizens in Utah. This initiative helps with neither.

• Flipphone Sandy, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 2:56 p.m.

Take a short trip across Utah state lines to Mesquite or Grand Junction and soon to Wendover and you can purchase as much Marijuana as you like.

• AlanSutton Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 2:46 p.m.

My main concern is the danger it creates for those who drive. Colorado has reported a significant increase in DUI convictions since its legalization there, and they say that's due to increased use of the now-legal substance. We already have a problem with drunk drivers.

• Flipphone Sandy, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 2:45 p.m.

Here in Utah we are governed by the Legislature and the Mormon Chruch, To bad that we can't vote for LDS Chruch representation.

• Grumpy Grandpa Sandy, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 2:29 p.m.

Over the years I've had close friends involved in serious accidents that relied on marijuana to ease their pain. This was done after all available narcotics were shown to be useless. To tell someone they cannot have access to an option is cruel.

I've also had close friends and family enter rehab for addiction to opioids. Lack of a prescription did not stop them from obtaining their daily fix. Likewise I had several friends in high school mess up their lives due to marijuana.

If the coalition (Drug Safe Utah, the Church, doctors, diocese, etc) are opposed to the proposition as it is currently written, what needs to be done to satisfy their concerns while still meeting the needs of patients? Is there common ground that can be reached?

Instead of saying "No", how about saying "No, not now, but here is what will work..."?

I'm grumpy because I was told to stop spoiling the grandkids.

• jjjdsd CENTERVILLE, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 2:23 p.m.

"How controlling and manipulative is the church looking now? For shame. "

Amazing, how controlling and manipulative is Hunt looking now? For shame.

• rhodger Cedar City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 2:19 p.m.

ReadShirtHarvard. Your comment is so over the top that I really don't know where to start.

Currently 31 States and 2 territories permit medical marijuana. So if I am for breaking federal law I certainly am not alone. Next let me next say that I have never in my 74 years life taken or used an illegal drug. As of this date I have no medical condition that would make that necessary. But I do have a son with seizures and who is medically disabled. He has at one time or another been on as many as 11 prescriptions drugs costing thousands of taxpayer dollars. None of these are any more effective for his condition than marijuana. This is not about creeping totalitarianism RSH. It's about common sense and basic human decency.

• jjjdsd CENTERVILLE, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 2:16 p.m.

There you go. The Islamic Society of Utah has also voiced their opposition to the initiative.

Notice none of the listed First Amendment allowed right of the people peaceably to assemble associations has advocated limiting the people's right to vote, but advocates of the initiative are advocating the limitation of the freedom of speech of these associations.

The seperation of church and state does not limit the freedom of speech.

• Nanook of the North Los Angeles, CA
    Aug. 23, 2018 2:05 p.m.

Elder Gerard refers to 'other states having "experienced serious consequences to the health and safety of" their residents due to marijuana laws that are too permissive.' I'd like to know what he's specifically referring to. I haven't seen ANY "serious consequences to the health and safety of" residents of states with looser marijuana laws. Cite your sources, please, Elder Gerard.

• Hunt Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 1:56 p.m.

This is absolutely laughable. The Legislature tried to pass medical marijuana a few years ago but it lost in the Senate by one deciding voter. As a member of the church they changed their position when the Church came out against medical marijuana.

Now the church says they are FOR medical marijuana, just not in the way that will be presented to voters.

How controlling and manipulative is the church looking now? For shame.

The church had their chance. The legislature had their chance. Now it is the peoples turn. Lets do the right thing Utah.
    Lets not allow a religious organization and a government, very much beholden to that organization, postpone the relief of suffering any longer.

No more games.
    No more grandstanding.
    No more excuses for postponement.
    The power is in our hands. Do the right thing and vote yes.

• deseret pete robertson, Wy
    Aug. 23, 2018 1:55 p.m.

rhodger -- I have a lot more faith in the church leaders than your opinion.---- For someone to assume that this initiative is solely about medical reasons and will be safe would also assume no one will be killed on the highway this year. --- If passed it will open the flood gates to abuse,wasteful spending ,separation of families ,Impaired driving,neglect and abuse and addiction of children --- Some will profit financially big time but the unintended consequences of this initiative if passed will be felt in the lives of innocent people for years to come. There is a better way for those who need medical marijuana to obtain it. If they spent the money on that instead of what they have proposed everyone would be better served

• Neanderthal Springville, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 1:55 p.m.

The Church should stay out of the marijuana issue. The stuff is not in the Word of Wisdom. If the Church wishes to get involved in keeping people healthy it should insist on laws banning sugar-laden drinks, such as colas.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 1:50 p.m.

"As a member of the church, I am adamantly opposed to their position on this issue"

As a member of the church, it is a tradition of my fathers. As such I refuse to accept their wisdom, or have faith in their authority of speaking for the Lord. I also, have not been to church in 20 years, and have a beer once in awhile when my wife does not notice. Or I just go to carry on the traditions of my fathers.

Who believes in God and revelation in these days, but I can say I am a member of the church.

All said, I am a member of the church and I will urge all I know, and members of the church to look to "the brass serpent on the pole" and vote against this initiative.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 1:49 p.m.

My 35 year old wife was diagnosed with breast cancer about a month ago. She is currently undergoing chemo and asked me if she could try marijuana to help with the nausea. I had to tell her that she didn't have that option because our legislatures think they know better. Instead her oncologist prescribed a benzodiazepine to help her with her nausea. benzodiazepines are incredibly addictive and dangerous, far more addictive and dangerous than marijuana ever could be. Marijuana may or may not have helped her, but the point is she doesn't even have the choice to try a safer and more natural alternative, she is instead given a highly addictive and dangerous substance because our state legislatures, and unfortunately now The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints think they know better. If this proposal is filled with bad loopholes and poor oversight than our legislatures should have stepped up to the plate and put their own proposal together.

• charlie24 Sandy, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 1:47 p.m.

As a suggestion, how about the mormon church providing advice to their membership as to how to exercise options available in society, while leaving nonmembers free agency to exercise their options as well. As to the many desperate people that are hurting, many that have little time, let them decide if risking laziness is an acceptable trade off to get rid of seizures, reduce unacceptable pain, or come to grip with ptsd. A to the general public, maybe they can be allowed to focus on reducing actually clearly dangerous drugs that are killing people every day with an option that does not kill. Last, there are many ways to waste time and enjoy laziness, maybe we can allow people to make decisions that are most often the correct choice.

• rhodger Cedar City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 1:45 p.m.

NewsFlash. You are simply incorrect. There are all kinds limitations and "contol"(s) implicit under the licensing requirements. The 1200 character Character limits keep me from a full discussion of the controls but here are some.

Local governments would be prohibited from enacting zoning ordinances to ban cultivation facilities, processing facilities, testing laboratories, and dispensaries on the basis that these businesses possess, grow, manufacture, or sell marijuana or that these types of businesses violate federal law. Local governments would be allowed to pass laws governing the time, place, and manner of dispensary operations. Other local zoning ordinances would also apply to marijuana businesses. The initiative would prohibit businesses from being within 600 feet of a school, public park, playground, church, or library and 300 feet of lots zoned for residential use.[1]

• Fitness Freak Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 1:38 p.m.

Sad.

The church, involving itself in politics, that is.

No matter which way the voters vote - the Church should have just taken it a very neutral stand.

Besides, as they say: "the horse already left the barn"! People can drive 90 miles and buy ALL the pot they want, the only difference is Nevada gets all the tax revenue.

I wish the church would stick to theology, (which they're good at btw,)and leave civics to the general electorate.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 1:37 p.m.

"Let the people decide." Does not equate to voicing opposition.

Every single group of associated individuals declaring their opposition (freedom of assembly) does not violate the right of individuals to vote.

As you stated the people will decide.

And if they, the people vote against the initiative will those that voted for the initiative accept the vote? That is democracy.

Trying to limit the political voice of associations of voters is a violation of free speech.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 1:36 p.m.

The church should stay out of politics. See this from the Utah State Constitution:

Sec. 4. [Religious liberty.] The rights of conscience shall never be infringed. The State shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; no religious test shall be required as a qualification for any office of public trust or for any vote at any election; nor shall any person be incompetent as a witness or juror on account of religious belief or the absence thereof. There shall be no union of Church and State, nor shall any church dominate the State or interfere with its functions. No public money or property shall be appropriated for or applied to any religious worship, exercise or instruction, or for the support of any ecclesiastical establishment. No property qualification shall be required of any person to vote, or hold office, except as provided in this Constitution.

• RedShirtHarvard Cambridge, MA
    Aug. 23, 2018 1:26 p.m.

To "rhodger" so you would prefer to violate federal law and the FDA to get access to marijuana. If you are willing to let states defy drug laws, what other federal laws can states violate? Could a state decide that slavery was ok, or how about eliminating gay marriage, or segregation, or income taxes, or why not just pass a law and reclaim all federal lands for the state, or any other federal law. If a state can just pass a law saying they don't like a federal law and are going to do something different, how do you draw a line and say that a state must follow federal law?

The true question here is are we a nation of laws or not? As each state passes a medical marijuana bill, it sends the message that laws are more guidelines and don't really mean much. Eventually things will get so bad that people will beg for a totalitarian government just to get things under control. So, do you want to be on the side pushing for things that will lead to totalitarian government or do you want to vote to maintain federal law?

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 1:26 p.m.

Other groups opposing this initiative:
    Utah Medical Association
    Utah Narcotics Officers Assn.
    D.A.R.E. Utah
    DEA Salt Lake Metro Narcotics Task Force
    Governor Gary Herbert & Lt. Governor Spencer Cox
    Utah Sheriff’s Association
    Utah Psychiatric Association
    The Episcopal Diocese

American Medical Association – the nation’s largest medical group – still considers cannabis a “dangerous drug” that should not be legalized for either recreational or medical use.

Does their open opposition make you think less of them.

• Dragline Orem, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 1:19 p.m.

Let's remember that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints also told their membership to vote against the repeal of prohibition, which they disregarded and pushed the ammendment over the top.

According to my devout grandmother, the general populace was seeing too many of their neighbors poisoned from bad bathtub alcohol, and the presence of feds trying to catch the scofflaws around town.

• BJMoose Syracuse, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 1:18 p.m.

As a member of the church, I am adamantly opposed to their position on this issue and will both vote for and encourage others to vote for medical compassion for those who will benefit. Those who participate in recreational use already do so. This initiative will change nothing in that regard. To think otherwise is naive at best and cruel at worst.

• Cheesecake Beaver, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 1:16 p.m.

By telling everyone they support medical use, it appears this coalition hopes to sink the initiative so the legislature can do nothing and the law will remain unchanged.

The initiative is on the ballot because Utah's legislature refused to act when they had the opportunity. If they did their job and listened to Utahans, who overwhelmingly want medical use of cannabis legalized, this ballot initiative would never have happened.

I hope Utahans will send a clear message that we want this to happen, come November.

• stevo123 Driggs, ID
    Aug. 23, 2018 1:11 p.m.

The people petitioned the Government for a right to vote on this subject. Let the people decide.

• jsf Centerville, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 1:12 p.m.

"Just curious, have any other churches weighed in ?" The Episcopal Diocese/ per the article. But nobody is going to mention that fact. The only articles are claiming it is only the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.

• NewsFlash Kearns, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 12:52 p.m.

rhodger - Have you read the initiative? There is no control on how marijuana is to be farmed, produced, and distributed.

Even in Arizona where medical marijuana is legal, it is "Controlled".

I do not have a problem using marijuana for medical reasons, but I sure don't want billy bob joe down the street having access to it.

• ConradGurch Salt Lake City, Utah
    Aug. 23, 2018 12:41 p.m.

Just curious, have any other churches weighed in ?

• Boberino Farmington, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 12:34 p.m.

I have been taught from my youth that marijuana is bad for you. I am a little skeptical of a substance that is supposed to be for medical purposes but is fun to use. This measure will no doubt open the door to misuse and abuse. I am for medical advances being available to patients, but let’s get it right. Once a bad law gets passed, it’s hard to fix. The ACA comes to mind.

• rhodger Cedar City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 12:29 p.m.

This is a deflection. And those groups in opposition should be ashamed of themselves. To say that they oppose this medical marijuana measure but would support medical marijuana "properly regulated" is nothing but a strategy designed to defeat this ballot initiative. The fact that the Mormon Church now comes out in open opposition when they tried a behind the scenes approach that failed makes me think less of them.