Netflix turned its back on families, says PTC President Tim Winter

• Fubijag West Jordan, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 10:02 a.m.

Back Talk,
    As a conservative minded individual, I could not disagree with you more. The Government needs to stay out of my personal life not intrude more. I don't need the govenment to force the movie industry to allow me to filter out objectionable content. If I don't want to see that content I simply do not watch that particular show. This seems incredibly simple to me. If I
    watch a show on Netflix and something objectionable starts I have the ability to TURN IT OFF and so do you.

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Sept. 6, 2018 7:27 a.m.

There are hundreds and hundreds of hours of quality Netflix programming that you've never seen that is compelling and family friendly. You're focusing on a tiny percentage of programming (new Netflix content) instead of actually taking the time to explore.

(And it's funny that the PTC is continuing to support services that continue to lose in court, like VidAngel.)

• GrandpaDon Layton, UT
    Sept. 6, 2018 6:43 a.m.

I'm not sure I understand the logic here - as always, parents are in charge of what media is allowed in their home. Last I checked everyone who subscribes to Netflix is free to cancel if they don't like what's offered.

We haven't had any kind of subscription TV service (or broadcast) for more years than I can remember.

• GingerMarshall Brooklyn, OH
    Aug. 24, 2018 5:42 a.m.

We generally enjoy Netflix, and their content is widely varied.

On the one hand is the grownup content, like "Sense8" and Orange is the New Black" and other complex and extremely well made shows with very adult storylines and content.

But we've also thoroughly enjoyed the delightful "Anne with an E," and very family friendly fare like "One Day at a Time" and "Kim's Convenience" and a slew of BBC shows like "Doc Martin" and the silly "Boarderline."

The problem is not that Netflix has no family friendly shows.

The problem is that Netflix offers entertainment that the religious activists who want to control others don't like.

Netflix has more than enough options for everyone. Watch what you like. Ignore what you don't like.

I have less than zero interest in watching their hit "Full House" remake - but I absolutely do not care if they make it, if they show it, or if all of my neighbors watch it.

Meanwhile, flip over to Amazon and watch the old "Laugh In." Four decades ago religious conservatives were in a twist about that.

• cbm Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 24, 2018 12:25 a.m.

I have already cancelled my subscription to Netflix a year ago when I read of a cartoon show they were producing aimed at preteens with sexual content. I have precious grand children that I hope won’t be exposed to such trash and dirt. I won’t give Netflix another dime.
    I’ve moved on to British subscriptions. They have better content, better acting and much better writing.

• OlderGreg USA, CA
    Aug. 23, 2018 7:20 p.m.

They are a business, selling what sells.

They do provide the ability to group your family of watchers and the ability to limit what goes into the group. Use the provided tools, and do followup monitoring.

Quit blindly trusting -- things change. Is your password really reasonably secure? You are aware that "R" no longer means what it did 20 years ago, right?

Never fall for that "Don't you trust me?" thing. Double signatures, inventories, audits, present witness, reporting back/checking in, and locks are all normal sensible processes in use that are not accusing anybody of anything -- it's all about protecting those involved.

• No One Of Consequence West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 3:18 p.m.

It would be nice if they would let you search by Rating and by Spoken Language. I enjoy foreign language shows sometimes but I'm not always in the mood to read a whole movie.

• Anti Bush-Obama , 00
    Aug. 23, 2018 1:45 p.m.

impartial

I guess that advice only applies to certain people. To some people if something offends them, they do not follow this advice, they censor it off youtube or beat up the offender.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 12:38 p.m.

The PTC is a religious based organization trying to force their moral code on everyone else. PTC even sued the WWF for being too violent and too sexual. They lost and had to pay the WWF 3.5 million. Don't like a book, don't read it, but don't burn it so no one else can read it. Think fake wrestling is too violent, fine-don't watch it, but don't try to force them to change their rules.
    The real world has always been a gritty place. Stop trying to sanitize everything that you may not like.

• Back Talk Federal Way, WA
    Aug. 23, 2018 12:28 p.m.

I would like to see the Feds and/or Supreme Court support filtering services like Vid Angel or by requiring them to put out an "airline" version for every uncut version. Hollywood continues to force bad social change upon everyone through their movies and the public needs to take back control of this material.

If all a person sees is American movies, it would appear that Americans cant even speak a single sentence without saying the F word. It is gutter talk and disgusting. If you hear it enough it will creep into your mind as an option to use.

Filtering let viewers select what is filtered out. We need support for this legal action.

• Fair Flower Layton, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 12:16 p.m.

It has become very hard for me to find shows on Netflix that are not mature or R rated movies and shows. Even so called 'family shows' can be very immoral. I'm considering cancelling my subscription. I wonder if Hulu is better.

• a_voice_of_reason Woods Cross, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 11:48 a.m.

While I agree that some of the content created or distributed by Netflix is incredibly inappropriate, this makes them no different than nearly every other source of content. I do appreciate the ability to use parental controls. While I would never allow uncontrolled access to Netflix for my children, with those controls in place I find it to be a reasonable service. I still don't everything on Netflix and we tell our kids not to watch several of the shows Netflix allows them to watch because we don't like the content. At that point (like it always has been) it is our job as parents to take charge of what our children consume. We cannot insist Netflix do this for us. While we can tell them how we feel about improper content, it is absolutely their right to provide it to those who want it - barring dramatic changes to current laws.
    In the end, I get what the guy is saying, but parents have to be parents. Letting Netflix be the parent would be just as bad as letting the cable-subscription be the parent.

• Go Utes Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 11:40 a.m.

I'm not cancelling my Netflix account ... because I've never had one. Netflix and cable TV have never been enticing to me and my family. Turn it off for a month and see if you miss it. The lack of family friendly content is just another reason on the pile not to pay for such services.

• Grandma Kitties Vernal, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 10:56 a.m.

I have a Netflix account. I remember my granddaughter telling me how much she enjoyed the movie "Co Co". She is 12 and I see her often. I did watch "Co Co" 3 times. I have heard a rummer, probably started by my son, that Disney is going to start a pay"Netflix "- type station.
    I would think this should be successful if the old favorite movies and shows I enjoyed in my youth, had a large place in the Disney Roku line-up. Alas, even Disney has its fingers in movies and other entertainment, that is not for family friendly audiences. I agree with Inkmom, parents or grandparents or extended family members need to sit down and watch what the kids are watching. I don't trust the rating system anymore or recommendations, except from my grandkids.

• John Charity Spring Back Home in Davis County, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 10:54 a.m.

I issue my strongest possible condemnation to Netflix for this action. The irrefutable fact is that it hurts families.

It has become clear that the modern entertainment industry has an agenda of promoting violence and wanton sexuality. Indeed, the content described in this article is proof positive that this is so. What is so disappointing is that Netflix is furthering this agenda, while pretending to be family friendly.

It is time for Netflix to learn that families will not tolerate this duplicity. I urge a general boycott until Netflix reforms itself.

• HSTucker Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 9:27 a.m.

It's well worth pondering what the impetus could be for a company like Netflix to produce and broadcast what they do. Do they really not understand the corrosive social effects of rejecting traditional values? Or do they, and they're doing it anyway?

• cmbennett1 Stafford, VA
    Aug. 23, 2018 9:26 a.m.

This service is a private subscription based service. If the service does not meet your expectations you are free to cancel at any time.

• cthulhu_fhtagn Seattle, WA
    Aug. 23, 2018 9:00 a.m.

If it's any consolation, its non-family-friendly content is also pretty terrible.

• Thomas Jefferson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 8:55 a.m.

Once again some angry group wants to put the onus of parenthood on an entertainment company. Its seems like every day some group with family in their name wants the world to stop for them so they can whine about a product which doesnt meet their ridiculous standards.

This opinion was truly pathetic.

Dont like netflix? Dont use them.
    Think you know what your idea of 'families' want? Start your own business if you are so sure.

• Red Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 8:35 a.m.

Netflix is nasty! A lot of their new shows are rated R if not worse.

They think they can make anything they want. I watched a new director giggle while he outlined all of the garbage they put in their series that would never be allowed on tv.

Don't watch any of their nonsense. Rise above it.

Go climb a mountain and turn their junk off.

• furymouse Draper, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 8:02 a.m.

Do they know there is a Netflix Kids? Or you know, be a parent and take an active role in your kids life instead of plopping them down and expecting Netflix to raise them.

• DieselCoondog Albuquerque, NM
    Aug. 23, 2018 6:31 a.m.

After getting my first Roku and Netflix account nearly 10 years ago, I cancelled cable during the middle of summer vacation. There was simply nothing left of any value to watch. It was 3 weeks before any in a family of 6 even noticed.

I'm very close to cancelling Netflix for the same reasons. 10 years ago Netflix was new and I could overlook their pathetic parental controls. It was not hard to find somewhat valuable entertainment and the price was low. Now the service is more expensive and I struggle to find anything of value to watch. So much content is garbage and the ability to screen the worst of it is still pathetic. Netflix execs seem to think rather than a broad array of interesting but non-offensive shows, 'family' entertainment merely means boring formula shows filmed in the basements of evangelical churches.

I cancelled once Netflix; I will do it again.

• lnkmom Lehi, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 6:10 a.m.

I don't believe I ever thought I could just had the Netflix code over to my children and let them watch what they may. It's like YouTube... you might have to be the parent and monitor what your children are watching.

PS. Cable TV was never family friendly either... I remember multiple channels I wasn't supposed to watch (MTV & Nickelodeon being two of them). Somehow I still managed to know about all the latest music videos, LOL!

• Amanda Schwartz The Netherlands, 00
    Aug. 23, 2018 3:21 a.m.

I agree with the author, try finding a drama offering on Netflix that does not contain a rape scene. The series 'Godless' has a rape scene in each of the first 3 episodes, the scene in episode 1 being right at the beginning. Evidently Netflix believes this is the 'hook' needed to keep a viewer watching.