Move over 'Risk,' 'Monopoly,' 'Stratego' and 'Scrabble' — here are 12 board games to replace the classics

• EuroGuy Sandy, UT
    Aug. 26, 2018 1:49 p.m.

All good options to mass produced Hasbro games. This hightlights the industry has made great strides in the last 30 years. For those that prefer Monopoly, Risk, etc no one is taking those away, they are just providing more options for those of us that prefer streamlined gameplay, nicer art and components, and more variety.

• LoryV South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 26, 2018 1:22 p.m.

My family really likes Sheriff of Nottingham.
    One I’m loving right now is Dominion. It also has several expansion packs too. It’s awesome, and I don’t play many games.

• gossamerica Livermore, CA
    Aug. 23, 2018 4:36 p.m.

@John (in the event you see this) -- this isn't an attack on the "classics", it's offering alternatives in case you want to try something different. Maybe an analogy is in order.

If the only hamburgers you've eaten in your entire life are McDonald's basic hamburger, that's fine, and if you choose to stick with it and never try anything else, that's your choice. But I suggest that you might be missing something. You might try a Big Mac. Or a Whopper. Or go to Five Guys. After you try other things, you might still prefer McD's plain burger...or you may decide you've been denying yourself much better options for years. Some people think they don't like board games (hamburgers) because they've never looked past the classics (McDs). You can get those same attributes you espoused from other (and, I would argue, much better) sources.

Some "classics" hold up well to later visits, or to people who never experienced them. Star Wars, for example. But some childhood experiences are best left to glow in vague nostalgia because they don't hold up well (e.g. He-Man cartoons are awful).

• toosmartforyou Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 21, 2018 8:54 p.m.

I enjoy "the Marble Game" as well as 'Ticket to Ride.' There's nothing quite as intense as a well matched game of the old, old traditional game of CHESS.

• SC Matt Saline, MI
    Aug. 21, 2018 4:21 p.m.

@John:

"Why the attack on these classic board games?"

I'm with WAUthethird on this.

I like scrabble. It's fun. But bananagrams is also fun. It also teaches in nearly the same way as Scrabble, except instead of planning strategy to get specific board locations (triple word score) you have to think quickly and find ways to rearrange your words. But the use of vocabulary, and the arranging of random letters into words is exactly the same.

My family owns both. We like both.

• WAUthethird South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 21, 2018 3:49 p.m.

John Charity Spring -
    It's not an attack. Merely they are meant to be replacements or refreshing updates to the classics themselves, which in no way is an attack. Perhaps read the article first? I guarantee you'll find something new to play in there that teaches the same attributes.

• andyjaggy American Fork, UT
    Aug. 21, 2018 11:00 a.m.

My co-workers just recently introduced me to Lords or Waterdeep, and while I have never been much of a gamer, I was instantly hooked. Board games have been having a bit of a renaissance lately and they are better and more fun than ever.

• John Charity Spring Back Home in Davis County, UT
    Aug. 21, 2018 8:10 a.m.

Why the attack on these classic board games? They are considered to be classics because they teach positive attributes such as patience, logical thinking, and perseverance. Any attack on these classic games is an attack on these attributes.