BYU football: Ed Lamb responds to Hoge's critical comments

• Rockarolla West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 23, 2018 9:08 p.m.

I think that Merril should keep his comments to himself. If Beau wants to play than the switch was correct. Beau is NOT a D-1 QB! e proves that last year.

• idablu Idaho Falls, ID
    Aug. 19, 2018 11:43 a.m.

I appreciate that Lamb responded, when he didn’t have to, in a very mature way. But I read the article over and over and I still don’t think he really addressed the issue, which has left me with some questions on how this was handled when I didn’t have any before.
    Did Sitake and Grimes have a say in this? Was A-Rod involved in the decision? Was Critchlow part of the equation? The statement that Sitake was too busy with head coaching responsibilities seems really weak to me. It seems like sitting down with one of your top QB’s regarding a position change, should be one of those HC responsibilities, don’t you think?

• VegasUte Las Vegas, NV
    Aug. 18, 2018 4:11 p.m.

I felt sorry for Beau because of Merrill’s comments. He had to have been embarrassed. However, his response to what happened was spot on as was Lamb’s.

Kudos to those two.

Best of luck to Beau at RB.

• Well.... Phoenix, AZ
    Aug. 17, 2018 9:13 p.m.

Kudos to Beau for handling this like a pro. The kid's going places. Looking forward to seeing how this all plays out this fall!

• CO Ute Chandler, AZ
    Aug. 17, 2018 3:31 p.m.

From a Ute fan that doesn’t care if Hoge plays QB, RB, or moves to punter; the response from Coach Lamb was handled very well.

The outburst from Merrill, well let’s just say it could have been handled better.

• James McBob American Fork, UT
    Aug. 17, 2018 2:42 p.m.

We should all lighten up on Merril Hoge. He has had several concusions and they are life altering events.
    According to researchers concussions have many side affects.

"It can also lead to other symptoms that include changes in your mood – and after a concussion, someone can easily switch over to feeling confused, irritable or angry for no reason. This effect can even stick around for a few weeks to months after the brain injury has occurred, or be permanent if the injury caused severe injuries to the brain resulting in lesions."(Simplyhealth.io)

Having suffered multiple concussions myself I can testify that you can be irritable and angry for little if any cause. It's hard to explain, but tTo me it felt like I had a hole in the middle of my brain. I have had several MRI's, and as it turns out docs can see the injury and diagnose it. It's not a hole, but disconnections. Not much they can do so I just live with it and try to be aware of what I am doing and not get upset over forgetting things I shouldn't forget.

I could go on and on about this, but probably have said enough. I hope people do not go through what I, and Merril Hoge, have gone through with head injuries.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Aug. 17, 2018 10:11 a.m.

OK, enough of this. Coaches have the responsibility to find the best player(s) for each position. Period. Sorry, Dad. You don't count.

Merrill Hoge will be rewarded if his son succeeds and becomes a stellar running back. What's wrong with that?

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Aug. 17, 2018 9:21 a.m.

I love it that parent drama has taken over the BYU-P football program just days before the season.

That said, kudos to Ed Lamb for a very mature and classy response.

• Tweakers New York, NY
    Aug. 17, 2018 9:02 a.m.

Does BYU still have a team?

• realfast630 Bonney Lake, WA
    Aug. 17, 2018 7:16 a.m.

Be careful on believing everything you read, there are a lot of players wondering why Beau was removed from the quarterback competition this fall, personally I believe Merrill's comments are spot on and that there is some "covering your back" going on here with the coaches. None of us are perfect, and this can be over one. And yes Beau is a good Young Man, BYU is fortunate to have him. And he wasn't available to the media. I wonder who made that happen?

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Aug. 17, 2018 6:34 a.m.

Every QB from last year wears that stain on his shirt - so the idea of having the QBs move around is wise because the only reason that any of last years Qbs are under consideration is that the 2 best potential Qbs are freshmen.

Hoge is a few hits away from never playing football again. Running backs take a different kind of hit, he'll be fine.

Since Hoge played receiver in HS I bet he has abilities to catch out of the backfield and while behind the line of scrimmage he's a passing threat.

Anxious to see what he does.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    Aug. 17, 2018 6:03 a.m.

Dear Dad
    Follow Beau and Ed's example.
    That's how you do it.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    Aug. 17, 2018 1:27 a.m.

It is too bad that Ed Lamb isn't head coach. Maybe he will take some missionary lessons from Beau? As for Merril and Sitaki, well lets just say that for a man who professes to idealize Lavel Edwards, Sitaki sure muffed this one. One of Edwards' strengths was how he dealt with not only his players, but how he dealt with their families. Having an unhappy dad, who has occasion to be in front of a microphone is not good PR from the head coach. But then, he is good at letting others take the heat, isn't he?

• slackoff green river, WY
    Aug. 17, 2018 1:15 a.m.

Why did Lamb say critchlowe would be a great QB at BYU, just a few days ago? There is something a little fishy going on.

• Pale Bear Orem, UT
    Aug. 17, 2018 12:42 a.m.

I bet Beau gets more playing time this season at RB than he would if he had remained at QB. Barring QB injuries, that is. 😉

• Serge LeMans Columbia, MO
    Aug. 16, 2018 10:50 p.m.

It's rearranging chairs on the Titanic.
    BYU will be lucky to finish 5-7 this year. With all due respect, we're back to the Gary Crowton days and will remain there until the head coach changes.

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    Aug. 16, 2018 10:38 p.m.

All I can say is if you can't handle Merril Hoge's opinion, you shouldn't have invited him on your show and asked the question.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Aug. 16, 2018 10:23 p.m.

I think Ed should have just referred to Beau's statement and let it go at that. No need to respond to comments from an angry father that had little basis in fact anyway.

• Whoisthisreally slc, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 10:08 p.m.

Good luck to Beau Hoge, hope he can run like his dad. Sad thing is that BYU's best QB is now playing running back.

• CAAZFR Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 16, 2018 10:00 p.m.

The dogs bark but the caravan moves on.

• Brent S Sandy, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 9:41 p.m.

Looks to me like everyone acted with class. I know what that father tug feels like. I've always been a Merrill Hoge fan, became a Beau Hoge fan, and feel like we're lucky to have Ed Lamb, too. Go Cougs. Let's show something this year.

• Desert Sage USA, NV
    Aug. 16, 2018 9:19 p.m.

Ed Lamb exudes class and competence. Seeing his response to Merril Hoge's bitter namecalling just convinces me that Kalani Sitake was lucky to get him. He sets a great example, and as Asst. Head Coach, he's right where he should be.

• Healthy Skeptic Saratoga Springs, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 7:59 p.m.

I recall that BYU once produced a Doak Walker recipient. If I am not mistaken, I believe an old BYU running back ended up winning a Super Bowl and is now in the Pro HOF. Ya never know what opportunities lie before you. But the only person that will limit Mr. Hoge's success is Mr. Hoge. Personally, I see the sky is the limit with this young man.

• Sinew South Centennial, CO
    Aug. 16, 2018 7:51 p.m.

Everyone's saying Coach Lamb handled this with class? I agree with Merrill, there's something a little smelly here. Would any objective observer want to have Critchlow over Beau as the QB here? I say no way. So that gives a little credence to me that there might be some truth to pulling one of the members of the QB competition out and move him to RB.
    It seems like A-Rod didn't take very long to shut down the highly publicized QB race to two, and one of them isn't Critchlow.
    I do agree with the posts that Beau handled this in a very classy way. Definitely the highest road out of the three participants in the story!
    I do think there's at least a little truth to what Merrill ranted about. Lamb can spin it any way he wants. When your boss tells you that you need to move to a different project, you can tell them that you would rather stay on the one you want, but in the end, they hold the cards and you likely end up with a choice to move to the other project or quit.

• kkbnielsen Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 7:48 p.m.

Coach Lamb is the assistant head coach Merrill Hoge, not the 'linebackers' coach. Coach Lamb did not need to offer a response to your rant, but because he's got class, he did. His credentials include leading SUU to their first Big Sky Conference championship and moving multiple players on that same team on to the NFL. Pretty impressive for a FCS program. The success he's had and the opportunities that have followed him speaks for itself. I hope you're better informed now Merrill.

• Gruncle Ralph Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 7:47 p.m.

classy responses by Beau Hoge and Ed Lamb.

I hope Beau has a huge impact at the RB position. His size, build and athleticism reminds me of Matt Bellini, former BYU RB during the Detmer years. He finished his BYU career with over 3500 yds from scrimmage and 29 TD's, much of it catching Detmer passes and creating mis-matches with linebackers trying to cover him.

Hoge was a WR through much of his high school career and didn't move over to QB until his team needed him to his senior year. I think he could do a lot of good shoring up RB depth for BYU this year rather than sitting on the bench as a 3rd or 4th string QB.

• KeepItKind Sandy, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 5:54 p.m.

I'm glad Coach Lamb responded with so much class. Hard to do after something like that. Bob V you are completely correct, sometimes we all have outbursts and would hate for them to be publicized so widely. Good for Beau calming it down so well.

• KimmyP Grantsville, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 5:25 p.m.

As Sonny and Cher once sang... "The beat goes on" 😹

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Aug. 16, 2018 4:44 p.m.

Enough of Merrill Hoge. I used to like the guy. Now he is just "that guy."

• toosmartforyou Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 4:42 p.m.

I hope the media will let this non-story now have an end as everyone involved has had their say. I get that you need a sports story to print, but move on from this one now, please.

• Bob V. Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 4:37 p.m.

Well, I'm not going to make a comment on coach Lamb, but Beau Hoge sure has class. I am impressed that a young man would be so mature in what he said and how he said it. What a great example for the rest of us.

It's unfortunate that his father didn't have all the information he needed before he spouted off. I'm sure he will have some regrets. It's nothing that we all haven't done before. Merrill just has a bigger audience and has a duty to get the facts before commenting.

Quarterbacks have to be cocky and confidant. For him to change positions, agree with it and understand the reasons, is impressive. I am now a Beau Hoge fan, even if I am not a BYU fan, and will closely watch his career.

Go Hoge!!

• Ankle-breaker Alpine, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 4:28 p.m.

Classy response. Taking the high road is always the right course.