Brad Rock: Give Merril Hoge some space

• Pagosa Kid SALT LAKE CITY, UT
    Aug. 17, 2018 8:04 a.m.

Great article Brad. I really appreciated the perspective. It’s good to be reminded that there are things going on behind the scenes that clearly influence ones behavior in almost everything. To judge a situation based solely on the immediate information available is shallow and most often wrong.

• rfrmac South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 11:37 p.m.

Brad, I appreciated your article. I hope it works out for all concerned.

• worf McAllen, TX
    Aug. 16, 2018 5:39 p.m.

Merril Hoge is an adult and not the football coach. He was out of line.

He didn't help his son in the least, but added more stress.

• london_josh Lincoln, CA
    Aug. 16, 2018 5:22 p.m.

I think we've all gone crazy defending a family member before.

Beau had an amazing response.

Excited to see him as a running back.

• a_voice_of_reason Woods Cross, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 4:03 p.m.

Wow. I really enjoyed this article. I always enjoy reading Brad Rock's articles - there is always some entertaining little tidbit. But, this is hands-down my favorite. It stepped away from sports and talked about being humans that understand. I liked it. Best wishes to Beau, Merrill, BYU, the coaching staff, etc. This was a feel-good article about a tense, public disagreement. Well-done Mr. Rock.

• vasislos Holbrook, AZ
    Aug. 16, 2018 1:43 p.m.

So many opinions, so few facts. I always find interesting the anti-BYU crowd who assume something nefarious must be going on. Can we just look at the evident facts and stop with the speculation?
    1. The elder Hoge thinks that his son is a good and perhaps great QB who should be given a continuing chance to move up the QB depth chart.

2. The coaches think that Hoge has great potential as a football player but not as a QB. But he is too good an athlete to sit on the sidelines or carry a clipboard waiting for an injury to the starters. Better to try a new position.

3. There is an abundance of QBs on the roster with some good ones slated to come into the program. SOME of them would have to change positions if they want playing time or, if they really want a shot at QB, they will have to transfer. This is actually not uncommon.

4. The coaches have no incentive to "blackball" a player from competing at QB. Their evaluation, under practice and game conditions and in comparison with others, is that he has no real future as a QB. They do not see what the elder Hoge sees but the elder Hoge does not see what they see.

• P5Proud Santa Monica, CA
    Aug. 16, 2018 1:34 p.m.

While I often find fault with this reporter, I have to thank him for this. This is a great perspective for fans to have before jumping to conclusions about the guy.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Aug. 16, 2018 1:28 p.m.

I had a daughter who played collegiate softball, and I thought that since this was college, I wouldn't be around delusional parents. I was wrong - I still heard parents wonder aloud why their kid wasn't the #1 pitcher, why their kid was on the bench, why kid wasn't batting in the #3 hole, why their kid wasn't playing shortstop, etc. Some things never change.

• Crazy in California Acampo, CA
    Aug. 16, 2018 12:38 p.m.

Beau's and his team's response to the position change is what is important; for him, the team, the school, fans and his dad.

Get on with it.

I'll be cheering even more for you now Beau.

• Spokane Ute Spokane, WA
    Aug. 16, 2018 12:24 p.m.

BlueHusky - Mission Viejo, CA
    Aug. 16, 2018 10:16 a.m.

You can only hope, Robin.

Again, wake us up if Utah actually finishes in the top half of their conference.
    ---------
    conversely wake us up when you beat us. Your slumber will last much longer. Sleep well Guy!

• kaysvillecougar KAYSVILLE, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 12:09 p.m.

Brad Rock gave a spot on assessment of the situation. Merrill didn't handle this perfectly, but I understand where he's coming from. I thought Beau handled it with complete class. I hope he has an equal amount of success at running back this year.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 11:55 a.m.

"There is always a place for redemption and forgiveness on or off the field."

coogopinions:

Unless Utah gives troubled players from other programs--including your own--a chance at redemption and forgiveness. Then it's, "Off with their heads!"

Seems like that says more about coog fans.

• opinion 47 SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 10:53 a.m.

@JohnInSLC
    Your comments seem to tell more about our own life, than this fine article. There is always a place for redemption and forgiveness on or off the field.

• MacD slc, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 10:19 a.m.

Coaches will always be second guessed.
    I would like to know what the quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator think about Hoge. If they feel he helps the team best at running back then I am satisfied with this move.

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Aug. 16, 2018 10:16 a.m.

You can only hope, Robin.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    Aug. 16, 2018 9:50 a.m.

The best part about this? We're two weeks away from football season and BYU-P fans (and possibly the team) are completely focused on off-field parent drama.

Actually, maybe that's a good thing. It gets the focus off of the on-field product.

• 65TossPowerTrap Salmon, ID
    Aug. 16, 2018 9:33 a.m.

I feel as sorry for Merrill Hoge as I do LaVar Ball.

• DenJohn Farmington, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 9:31 a.m.

I don't know. I worked in youth sports for years and dealt with accusations (both baseless and justified), boorish behavior, and people who just took their frustrations out on people who didn't deserve it. I'm okay with one-time outbursts followed by an apology. In fact I actually respect people who recognize and apologize for their behavior. But I stop short of excusing unapologetic outbursts just because someone has dealt with hard things in their life. I'll give him space and won't blast his twitter account or something--but those outbursts do result in some lost respect.

• D Van Duker Syracuse, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 9:19 a.m.

BYU Football and the Athletic Department have an opportunity to show that they are a class-act...just don't respond.

The staff has every right to lash-back. This wasn't just a father speaking; this was a former NFL player and ESPN commentator; using his credentials to garner a far larger platform for his grievances than any player or parent would have.

Just don't respond.

Don't waste good. The boy has a lot of potential. The staff wants to take advantage of that. Based on camp & practices, BYU has the 1, 2, & 3 string QBs selected. Beau isn't one of them--not this year. But, Beau has too much potential to cut. Keep Beau on the team & on the field as a RB. Continue developing his awareness, timing, speed, agility, & ability to read the field...If a slot opens up for Beau as a QB next year...awareness, timing, speed, agility, & ability to read the field are all good things for a QB to have developed.

Just don't respond to Merril, it'll alienate Beau. All the "right" in the world won't make a son choose a team over his dad.

Eventually, Beau...and maybe Merrill...will come to appreciate that Beau has a better shot at the NFL by being on the field than on the bench.

• Utahute72 Tooele, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 8:47 a.m.

You have to admit the move does seem a little odd, given the fact that the QB coach had Hoge listed as one of the QBs likely to win the job. Maybe the staff felt he was the only one of a crowded position that could move, or maybe Merrill's comment that Lamb was looking out for his own recruit was true. Only the staff knows for sure, but there have been other sources pointing to issues within the program management that have to be troubling.

• Henry Drummond San Jose, CA
    Aug. 16, 2018 8:39 a.m.

I remember listening to the father of a college football player complain about how the Head Coach chose somebody else over his son as a starter. He went on and on about the conspiracy against his kid. He claimed that the Head Coach was close friends with the other boy's family and was playing "favorites." Talent had nothing to do with the choice he insisted.

The starter, whose name most of you would recognize, had by this time earned numerous Conference and National honors, broken several School records, and was first team All-American - suggesting that talent may have had everything to do with him winning the job. I decided not to point that out to the angry father of course. I understood that he was just being a Dad who wanted the best for his Son. I'm not exactly rationale about my two boys either. Maybe its time to just chalk up what happened with Merril to being a Dad and move on.

• JohnInSLC Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 7:55 a.m.

Brad, nice way to distract readers from the fact you and the DNews are not doing your job of, you know, actual journalism. The real question here is not about name-calling, it is this:
    - Was Hoge wrong about what had taken place?

As critical as the DNews has been about coaching staffs of other schools lately, it's pretty obvious the paper wants to completely avoid ANY examination of the truth here.

• blue & white Boise, ID
    Aug. 16, 2018 7:22 a.m.

I agree with Brad. Being a father I understand and want the best for our kids. Merril isn’t in practice so he’s not fully in tune with what happens and what the coaches see. Beau deserves the opportunity to become the best he can be and maybe running back is it. If the injury bug bites again he may find himself back at QB. The whole team should be focused to improve on a 4-9 season.

• slackoff green river, WY
    Aug. 16, 2018 6:34 a.m.

When my children were involved in team sports as youngsters i would tell them the older they got the more fair the coaches would be. Boy was i wrong! Coaches have favorite players, coaches have children, both of whom are going to play fair or not. That's at every level of sports.

• BioPowertrain Westland, MI
    Aug. 16, 2018 4:17 a.m.

Well stated Brad. I agree.

• DodgerDoug Salem, UT
    Aug. 15, 2018 11:40 p.m.

Great article Brad. I completely agree. Merrill does owe the BYU coaches an apology however. IMO.

• Deanvrtc Vancouver, WA
    Aug. 15, 2018 9:51 p.m.

Im willing to forgive some very unwise comments from Merril Hoge... but despite the hardships...he should have known better.... and it certainly did not help his son navigate his own setback. Parents of ALL college athletes give heart and soul to their children hoping they will achieve their dreams...and most often they personally become ego invested along the way. When coaches decide against YOUR child, then parental emotional outbursts cause the child more problems and embarrassment. It appears Merril got caught in this trap. He made it worse because his tantrum was in front of a national audience.
    Hey Merril, your son needs your support, not your rant. We are sorry for your disappointment and your trials, and we are all pulling for your sons success....so are the coaches. This setback may ultimately serve your son amazingly well. We are rooting for him and you.

• JoeCoug OREM, UT
    Aug. 15, 2018 9:42 p.m.

I appreciated getting some context. Thanks, Mr. Rock. I’ll withhold any unrighteous judgment.

• Sore loser Oakland, CA
    Aug. 15, 2018 9:31 p.m.

Injuries are frustrating and end careers all the time. Merril Hoge is used to offering his opinion as a sports commentator so his rant was probably instinctive. That’s how families go sometimes, Dad embarrassing his kids, or maybe kids embarrassing dad etc

• Katoonka Provo, UT
    Aug. 15, 2018 9:26 p.m.

Excellent article Brad.
    I couldn’t agree more.

• Holy-Schamoly-What Baloney Kaysville, UT
    Aug. 15, 2018 8:55 p.m.

As a parent of a couple sons who played football and participated in track, I understand the feelings of a parent wanting their of-spring to do well and to have every opportunity possible. I get that---I really do, but going public with outrage over what some coaches have determined is the best thing for the team is classless. Sports types want all the hype and glory without any of the failures or criticism. Well, it's a package deal. It all comes with the territory and the sooner we all act like adults the better, especially those who are adults. I'm willing to give Merril Hoge the benefit of the doubt, assuming if this turns out to be a good decision that he acknowledges that at some point. Keep it balanced.

• THEREALND Mishawaka, IN
    Aug. 15, 2018 8:14 p.m.

"The elder Hoge’s frame of mind can’t be great right now. He was laid off in 2017 by ESPN after 21 productive years with the network. That’s a soul-crushing experience. He and his wife divorced several years ago."

That's a highly speculative comment. I think his frame of mind is spot on! Bringing his marital status into the discussion is "off topic" and irrelevant.