GOP activists warn that LDS voter distaste for President Trump could hurt in November

• Edmunds Tucker St. George, UT
    Aug. 15, 2018 7:01 p.m.

''Utah [is] hosting competitive House, Senate or gubernatorial races in November.'' Wishful thinking. All Republicans will win in state wide or multi county districts. The article missed that
    Trump hosted the Mormon Tabernacle Choir at his inauguration. The choir sat behind him and the Supreme Court wearing white coats first worn for the 2002 winter Olympics. The choir sang 'America the Beautiful.' And America is beautiful.

• erikpeterhansen Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2018 5:24 p.m.

We are so afraid of socialism taking over that we would have a king of unrighteousness and his family run the country. Where is our courage to make another choice than either main party? Independents like me are also intelligent people looking for solutions.

• erikpeterhansen Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 15, 2018 4:59 p.m.

"And also trust no one to be your teacher nor your minister, except he be a man of God, walking in his ways and keeping his commandments. Thus did Alma teach his people, that every man should love his neighbor as himself, that there should be no contention among them."

Trump and anyone who trusts his ways and loves our economy are far from supporting freedom. The Presidency can't be trusted, has evolved into more of a kingship and thus democracy is slipping away. Trump is the perfect example of that and all the negative desires of our people. Can any LDS support those who support this kind of rebellion against freedom and democracy, even if they think their pocketbooks are becoming bigger because of him?

• Mc West Jordan, UT
    Aug. 15, 2018 2:03 p.m.

I am a Mormon who voted for Evan McMullin because I couldn't stand Trump or Hillary. I have to now admit that Trump has done some good things for this country. Our economy is better and 2 great Supreme Court nominations are plusses I can't ignore. I cringe every day when I learn of his latest tweets and I do feel he has been divisive when he could have brought people together with a more respectful tone.

Trump reminds me of the Book of Mormon Jaredite king Morianton: "he did ease the burden of the people, by which he did gain favor in the eyes of the people...and he did do justice unto the people, but not unto himself because of his many whoredoms...and the people became exceedingly rich under his reign, both in buildings, and in gold and silver, and in raising grain, and in flocks, and herds, and such things which had been restored unto them."

I really wish Pres. Trump could grow up and be presidential. Maybe that will come with time. Right now I intend to vote for him in 2020 and I continue to vote for those like Mia Love and Mitt Romney who are supportive of the Trump policies that are good, but not afraid to call him out when they disagree with him.

• eastcoastcoug Danbury, CT
    Aug. 15, 2018 9:54 a.m.

I'm a lifelong Conservative LDS who will never, ever vote for Trump or anyone who supports him. The phrase cited here "feel(s) a little lost in today's GOP" fits me to a T. The party used to be about values and limited government, with respect for the Constitution, and an optimism about America and it's place in the world.

Today's GOP agenda is run by talk radio and Fox News, and now the Libertarian/Alt Right and is all about Fear and Anger. We've openly colluded with Russia in our elections (past and present), attack our DOJ for prosecuting said collusion, have attacked our allies, started trade wars/tariffs and supported coal/oil&gas over sustainable energy, etc. We're killing our auto industry and environment all at once. Our POTUS is a womanizer who has installed his family everywhere in government, all while openly promoting and profiting from his position.

No one in the GOP has the spine to stand up against Trump. Not even Romney. Why wouldn't I vote for a moderate Democrat if that's the only way to fight against the cult of Trump??

• PP Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 14, 2018 2:40 p.m.

For all of you bashing Trump - do you really think Hill was a better candidate? Do you think she is less corrupt or has better policies?

Trump is not a perfect man by a long shot, but there is no evidence of any actual corruption. Leftists wanting it to be true does not make it true. Hill on the other hand may be the most corrupt person ever to run for president in this country. Her (and Bill's) corruption is well documented, researched and investigated. And it's not just the prior election against Trump. The Hill campaign illegally silenced the Sanders campaign. In Obamas 1st run the Hill primary campaign was far more malicious than the actual presidential campaign. Every negative thing said about Obama in the general election was first used by Hill in the primaries - including the birther issue.

So if you really wanted Hill over Trump you have no grounds to cry "corruption" at all, because she is far more corrupt that Trump ever dreamed of being.

• PacificCreek Puyallup, WA
    Aug. 14, 2018 1:46 p.m.

I am LDS and generally have sided with the Republican. I could not bring myself to hold my nose against the stink and vote for Trump last election and certainly won't do it again nor will I vote for those who support his policies. President Trump has been as advertised. He has been very offensive, embarrassing internationally, corrupt and also very friendly to business interests.

It is interesting how divided our country has become since 9/11. I feel like we are slowly descending towards the emnity that existed in the Book of Mormon with all sorts of 'Ites' fighting against each other.

• Utes Fan Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 14, 2018 9:40 a.m.

I am a Conservative who didn't vote for Trump. And I haven't changed.

However, if Democrats think they can convince me of their agenda they have an uphill battle. Gallup recently did a poll and found that the majority of Democrats now favor Socialism over Capitalism.

However bad Trump may be, if the Socialists have their way in the future, people will be desperately wishing they had Trump back.

• Astoria Jim Mamaroneck, NY
    Aug. 13, 2018 7:33 p.m.

In 2020, I see many LDS voters facing the same dilemma my wife might have faced in 1980. She is a dedicated Democrat (one Republican friend once called her 'Hillary Clinton with character') who was afraid Ted Kennedy, who she never forgave for Chappaquiddick, would seize the Democratic nomination from Jimmy Carter.
    What would she do? Vote for a Democrat who agreed with her on most issues...but she believed should be in prison, or vote for Ronald Reagan, whose conservative policies she considered dangerous?
    Fortunately, she didn't have to make this decision. But LDS members...and all Republicans who believe that character counts in a Presidential candidate, probably will.

• TAS Tehachapi, CA
    Aug. 13, 2018 5:38 p.m.

RiDAL, members of the Democratic Party are citizens of the country, Please be a little more tolerant. One of my good friends,a former Bishop is a Democrat, he is a very nice person. A Two party system is necessary for our system of government to function well.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    Aug. 13, 2018 3:39 p.m.

Voter distaste for Trump is exceeded only by the distaste for outright socialists and others with animosity towards all traditional American moral and ethical values in the Democrat party.

We must recall that we did not have a choice between Abe Lincoln and George Washington, but between Trump and Hillary. The Demcrat Party has now swung even further Left with Bernie, Warren, and Occassio-Cortez.

• JBs Logan, UT
    Aug. 13, 2018 3:16 p.m.

I agree with Worf. The world really has changed. People of both major political parties held Nixon to account. Republicans used to be fiscally conservative. The U.S. used to welcome immigrants. Republicans used to think character and integrity mattered in a president. How times have changed.

• oaklandaforlife Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2018 12:52 p.m.

@banliberals,

"I have recorded all of my posts that you have not posted and have delivered them to Get Gephardt........They have reached out and would like to do a story about your site and how you silence right wing advocates just like Facebook, Google, youtube.........lets see how you do now that you are exposed! Even the SLLIB allows other points of view where you do not.......You are a liberal bastion parading as a Conservative newspaper. Lets see how you defend yourselves,,,,see you on Gephardt!"

Go get em Tiger! That comment was simply hilarious!

• tesuji Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 13, 2018 12:02 p.m.

Trump is so awful, as a person and as a president, that I don't see how anyone can support him. His daily lying is bad enough. But I'm surprised the article didn't mention how Trump recently sided with Russia over his own country, since Russia obviously hacked our 2016 election. I remember when Romney ran for president he said Russia was our greatest threat.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    Aug. 13, 2018 11:53 a.m.

A couple of questions I have gotten from active Mormons of the liberal variety:

Do you think it’s right for you to judge the state of someone else’s marriage (in connection with Bill and Hillary)?

Yes. I do. Not to condemn them to perdition. But, if one of them wants to be my president, I think it’s my responsibility as a voter to analyze every area of their lives, and base my decision on the totality of their lives.

How can you support someone as immoral as Donald Trump?

Depends on how you define “support.” My judgement, right now, is to vote for Trump and Republicans in general, as long as the alternative is Hillary Clinton and current Democrats. Call that “support” if you like. But I’m just deciding who to vote for. Nothing more, nothing less.

• worf McAllen, TX
    Aug. 13, 2018 11:29 a.m.

Times have changed.

Some LDS voters now favor politicians who uphold abortion, alternative lifestyle, and the taking the fruits of citizen labor.

• taylormade1 Springville, UT
    Aug. 13, 2018 11:14 a.m.

Who was the alternative that we were given to Trump ... Hillary Clinton ! now thats an absolute joke to you nayayers.... HA HA HA ......

• worf McAllen, TX
    Aug. 13, 2018 10:10 a.m.

Truth and virtue does not grow from the pollution of hatred and bitterness stemming from the mainstream media, Hollywood entertainers, and political swamp.

Do the people of Utah see past the smoke??

• 100MillionDead RU, 00
    Aug. 13, 2018 9:54 a.m.

Just look at how hard the Communist Antifa, violent progressives, and fake news media are fighting Trump. It is clear to me that a vote for Trump is a vote against these people who want to destroy the United States.

Many Mormons have come around on Trump. He doesn't drink, doesn't smoke, believes in having children, and works hard. He has supported religious liberty, the constitution, the value of life of the unborn, and valuing Americans above illegal aliens. Many who voted for McMullin or Johnson are now ardent Trump supporters, and I expect it to continue.

• dmcvey Los Angeles, CA
    Aug. 13, 2018 8:59 a.m.

I suspect that whatever distaste LDS members rightfully have for Trump they will still vote Republican in November. It's what they do.

• Nate Pleasant Grove, UT
    Aug. 13, 2018 8:45 a.m.

@1covey "It is interesting to note that some people think that voting by default by not voting or voting for a 'no chance' candidate helps our country."

It signals political parties to nominate candidates who merit our support. I could not support Hillary, and I could not support Trump. I voted for neither. If they want me to vote for their candidate, they need to send up a better candidate.

• Citizen John Doe Orem, UT
    Aug. 13, 2018 8:43 a.m.

The gospel of Jesus Christ teaches the truth. It balances justice and mercy, the letter and the spirit of the law completely, as well as every other virtue. I like to think of it as a straight line in front of me.

Political parties are much more fallible. Both major parties include people (on both the far left and the far right) that hold extreme views that violate either the spirit or the letter of the law's of God, if not both. I like to think of their views as leading 45 degrees to either the right or the left of the straight line in front of me.

But in our fallen world, it has always been that way, and will continue to be so. In Christ's day, the extreme right existed that ignored the spirit of the law (Pharisees) and an extremely immoral left also existed (prostitutes). Christ had even harsher words for the far right than for the far left of his day.

This fact is something that Mormon supporters of Trump should take a hard look at.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2018 8:31 a.m.

The Donald and his associates are getting more and more imperfect everyday.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Aug. 13, 2018 8:20 a.m.

@one old man

Most of us do not "mindlessly support" President Trump as you suggest.

We just can't bring ourselves to consider voting for someone like Hillary Clinton, Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren, or Kamala Harris among others.

Can one just imagine what would happen to this country under the "leadership" of any of those people?

Thanks, but NO thanks. I will choose an imperfect Donald Trump any day.

🤗

• Marigold Provo, UT
    Aug. 13, 2018 8:00 a.m.

I am a woman; a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; and I support President Trump. Despite all odds, he gets things done, including for people of color, because they are Americans. So very tired of the naysayers and those who have no plan(s) except to impeach Trump--for what offense?????

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    Aug. 13, 2018 7:35 a.m.

"The majority of Americans in 30 out of 50 states (60%) chose to accept President Trump,"

This is the state of conservatives in this country. It is clearly a distorted statement. 60% of Americans did not vote for, nor support Trump. In a winner takes all election (something that needs to change), Trump won many states without getting the majority of votes.

It's not a lie the above statement, but sure is not an honest statement either. And this is the problem - for both parties. Honesty.... gone. And when honesty is absent from a civilization, when beating your opponent is more important than moral integrity, society in general is in a state of deep decay.

• bass679 Novi, MI
    Aug. 13, 2018 7:31 a.m.

@Thid barker
    There's no such thing as the lesser of two evils. You aren't required to bubble in an option. You CHOSE to pick a dishonest philanderer who clearly has no idea what he's doing. You had a plethora of 3rd party options or you could have just skilled the presidential box.

You picked Mr Trump despite all evidence that he was a terrible candidate. Look I get it. I remember watching the DNC just wishing they could provide a platform I could support, that walked back from their extreme views. Unfortunately they didn't.

So when faced with two bad options, I remember that I'm an American citizen, my duty isn't to a party, it's to the United States of America and American deserves better than, "the less of the two evils". It deserves me making a choice to not pick a bad candidate just because the other candidate is also bad.

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    Aug. 13, 2018 7:28 a.m.

Couple a president who's morals are the antithesis of anything a real conservative stands for be an issue - I sure hope so.

• Zabilde Riverdale, UT
    Aug. 13, 2018 5:43 a.m.

It was mentioned how low Utah's support for Trump was in the 2016 Election, but that's because the Utah vote was split by McMullen, whose only purpose was to split the Utah/LDS vote and steal a few electoral votes from the GOP candidate, and thus help Clinton.

Trump is not LDS, he was not raised to our moral standards, nor has he converted to them. Therefore I do not hold him to the same standards morally I would Mitt or another LDS candidate. Instead I look to the position for which we are holding the election.

In the case of Trump it was to elect a leader and an executive, one who would appoint conservative Justices and strive to uphold the constitution. Really all I expected out of him was the conservative justices because he had publicized the list he would work from during the campaign. The economy is bonus (4.1% GDP record low unemployment among minorities etc. etc. etc...). He's brought NK to the negotiating table. He's gotten tariff agreements or promises to negotiate from the EU, Canada, Mexico and others.

But he's not up for election this year, handing congress to the Dems would greatly hinder his continued successes.

No he's not the pope, he's the President!

• 1covey Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 9:14 p.m.

It's a certainty that the LDS vote is not a 'bloc' vote as the writer of this article believes. It is interesting to note that some people think that voting by default by not voting or voting for a "no chance " candidate helps our country. What is disturbing is that some prefer suave deception in politics. Trump is what you get when you vote for a non - politician. And don't forget what the alternative was. She made sure of that by giving Bernie the shaft. Strangely, that turned out OK. I agreed with Trump's platform; he has worked hard to fulfill that platform with some notable success, considering a mostly biased media; judges who make their own law and heated invective by his opposition. Trying to be diplomatic with problematic leaders does not make one a puppet of them.

• Utahskier1234 Chicago, IL
    Aug. 12, 2018 8:57 p.m.

I am LDS to my core and my religion taught me to forgive past sins of others. President Trump has sinned but so have I and everyone else. Today, President Trump is a wonderful father and is a faithful husband. He is protecting the religious liberty of Christians and the sovereignty of our Nation. He has appointed 2 Constitutionalists to the SCOTUS and scores of Constitutionalist judges to the lower courts. These justices and judges will rule by the Constitution and not legislate according to their personal beliefs. Many non-religious folks here do not understand the Christian gospel of forgiveness. As Jesus said, "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone". God Bless President Trump!

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Aug. 12, 2018 7:16 p.m.

@one old man

I do not find it humorous that you intentionally mis-spell President Trump's last name.

I believe three times you spell his last name without a capital "t" and leave a space between the t and the rest of the name, emphasizing the "rump" of course.

I don't expect to change your approach but feel better having expressed my disapproval.

Thank you.

🤗

• worf McAllen, TX
    Aug. 12, 2018 7:01 p.m.

How would America be better today had Trump lost the election?

What are the expectations and goals of the Democrats?

How can anyone vote Democrat without knowing their objectives?

• banliberals Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 6:24 p.m.

• silo Sandy, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 6:10 p.m.

@RBB
    "then he implemented DACA which effectively changes the law by executive order"

DACA was enacted using the President's prosecutorial discretion. It's the same legal basis used to protect non-citizen spouses/widows of US service members and it's the same legal basis used to protect non-citizen victims of human trafficking rescued within US borders.

The policy recognizes that there are outliers for immigration laws that need and deserve special handling. Congress could and should address the issue on a permanent basis, which is exactly what Obama referred to, but it's too convenient as a wedge issue to actually address the human factor involved with DACA.

• RBB Sandy, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 4:58 p.m.

In any election you make a choice between the people on the ballot. (Yes, I have written in candidates, but you are still effectively choosing between the two). If you cannot vote for Trump then you are effectively voting for his opponent. Can you imagine if Hillary had won and she put another Ginsburg (or two) on the Supreme Court. The SC would have leaned left for the rest of my lifetime. Many judges on the left have little qualm about substituting their own desires for the judgement of legislatures or the executive. They simply recraft what the law is to what they want it to be. For example, our immigration laws requires people who entered illegally to be deported. Obama repeated admitted that he could not change the law - then he implemented DACA which effectively changes the law by executive order. A new president can reverse the executive orders of prior presidents just as easily - except 3 liberal judges have ruled that Trump cannot undue Obama's executive order. They have made an executive order a new law. Trump is an imperfect vessel, but he has done more to stop the lurch to the left than most Republicans in congress combined.

• MoreMan San Diego, CA
    Aug. 12, 2018 4:45 p.m.

Discernment might be lacking in this case.

• today gunnison, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 4:38 p.m.

I appreciate all those who no faults and for there hatred for our president. Not how I have been taught to live by my religion(LDS). Thanks President Trump for helping to make our Nation better and preserving our Constitution and freedoms. I pray for you each day.

• Hagoth Hayden, ID
    Aug. 12, 2018 4:04 p.m.

Another non story. Just like the poles showed Trump losing in the presidential election, so is this showing nothing. When it comes to voting Utahians will do the right thing and vote. Trump has done a lot of good, has worked hard to follow up on his promises. Is he perfect, of course not, but looking at our Supreme Court last judge who is in now, and the new one to soon be in. Its always been about getting more conservative judges into Supreme Court and the lower courts which has been done. We can not allow the courts to go more liberal than they are. Wake up people we need to fight for our US Constitution, etc. and Trump is the one to help with that. Do you really think its good for this country to let a bunch of socialist democrats take over, NOT!

• junkgeek Agua Dulce, TX
    Aug. 12, 2018 3:50 p.m.

Active LDS, and I'm fine with a Democrat winning if it means that Trump is stopped.

• 3grandslams Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 3:05 p.m.

Mormons (it is poor reporting to generalize) voted for Trump because of the other option. Quite frankly if Mitt Romney ran as a moderate democrat, he would obliterate Trump and Mormons would vote for a democrat.

• Nate Pleasant Grove, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 2:53 p.m.

I did not vote for Trump and will not. I like his court nominees, tax cuts, deregulation, and getting out of the climate accord and the Iran agreement. I don't like his infidelities, his tariffs, his big spending, his tweets, or his temperament. I think there is nothing to Russian collusion but a lame excuse for Hillary losing the election. I'm comfortable with leaving a blank space on the ballot for Trump, and voting in all the other contests.

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    Aug. 12, 2018 1:57 p.m.

Sometimes it comes down to the lesser of two evils! When has America ever had a "perfect" president? I could not bring myself to vote for Mrs. Clinton so I chose not to vote at all in the presidential election, mostly because I believed the news media and the polls and thought voting would be a waste of my time! What if every American did what I did? I regret not voting! Given that, I would vote for President Trump today! No, he isn't a perfect man but neither are any of his critics!

• localblue Sandy, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 1:28 p.m.

Church leaders have never told us how to vote and they aren't going to start now. But the one thing they have said to do is vote someone of good character, good morals, upstanding citizen and so on. I can't remember the specifics but it's that type of advice. I therefore can't in good conscience vote for Trump. I don't know if that means I'll vote for the Democratic candidate but I'll seriously consider it if that person proves to be morally superior to Trump.

• one old man Ogden, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 1:26 p.m.

Perhaps it's time for Mormons who are horrified of t rump's actions and of GOP members who mindlessly support him, to stand up and start shouting.

Loudly.

Very loudly.

It was the people who didn't vote who actually elected t rump.

And it was the people of Germany who remained silent who enabled Hitler.

It's time for Mormons (and all other Americans) who were once Republicans to place the welfare of America above any party loyalty and get out and VOTE. Even if it means voting for someone who is not a party member. Even if it is (gasp) a Democrat or Independent candidate.

The most important thing we need to do right now is to send a message -- loud and clear -- to t rump and to spineless GOP members of Congress who refuse to call him out that what's happening now is completely intolerable.

• Tumbleweed Centerville, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 1:14 p.m.

You negative commenters still don't get it. For the LDS, support for Trump is not at all about support for his life-style. It was and always will be about preserving the integrity of the text of the US Constitution through President Trump's appointments. Don't try to tell me that the LDS want to elect a president who will replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg with someone just like her.

• Light and Liberty St George, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 1:06 p.m.

Furry: I do not think your membership in the church is a factor. I am a member as well. I think Trump is the best thing this country has seen since Reagan.

I do not see promoting Socialism as 'virtuous', nor promoting abortion as 'doing good to all men'. I did not thinking a government takeover of the health care system as praiseworthy. I do not think allowing the government to make everybody dependent on them is 'benevolent', nor taking away a person's right to bear arms as 'lovely'. I do not think promoting marijuana use and appointing judges that think the constitution is outdated has anything to do with 'hope'.

I did endure Obama for 8 years without blaming him for anything wrong in my personal life. In fact, with all his faults and misguided notions about freedom and capitalism, I found some of his personal qualities admirable. Other than that, I thought he was an absolute disaster for American exceptionalism and a land and country I love dearly.

Trump was the man needed for our time. Perhaps I am destabilizing the continents for saying so, but Trump 2020 is my mantra for sure.

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    Aug. 12, 2018 12:50 p.m.

I think some of the LDS need just need to get over themselves. I am strong LDS, but neither Democrat or Republican. Both parties are controlled by the Gadiantons, including in Utah. That said, Pres. Trump has done more good for the U.S. than anyone since Reagan. We proudly flout our high moral standards to those who are without the law and point our fingers at the wicked from our towering pedestals of righteousness. I would rather deal with someone who's character I know about than someone who is a rabid wolf in sheep's clothing who says all the right, soothing lies.

• Red Smith American Fork, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 12:45 p.m.

I attended weekly, ready daily, and pay annually. I love President Trump - A working man and woman's president.

President Trump has created $7 Trillion in wealth, replaced 4.2 million food stamp checks with pay checks, befriended Israel, ended the gov't war on Christians. created 7,000 new jobs a day removing the curse of idleness.

By their fruits ye shall know them. What a wonderful non-perfect President we have. May God continue to bless and protect him as he gives his life for his friends (The American People).

• Jer-Bear Mapleton, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 12:25 p.m.

Someone above mentioned something along this line.
    Our two Senators Mike Lee and Orrin Hatch, both admired largely by most all Utahn's have both endorsed President Trump, and complimented him on numerous occasions. Is that not sufficient for those of us who vote & live here? It is for me.

After all, we are not voting for a Pastor or Bishop here, but a politician. And, look at your alternatives, which are extremely bad choices, at least for most of us.

I like Trump, and proudly think he is doing a great job, in spite of naysayers and Washington elite. I thin Hatch & Lee do too.

• L White Springville, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 12:20 p.m.

What an insult to Mormons! When those who hate Trump tell us that all Mormons think alike and act as a herd, those people need to take their heads out of the sand and look around. Intelligent, well educated Mormons can see the difference between what Democrats offer and what Republicans offer. We live in an imperfect world, but we were sent here to make it better. Tearing down Mormons, as this article does by telling us that we have a herd mentality, is not a way to make the world a better place - and to think that the Deseret News publishes at least one major article a week dnouncing those who mock and misuse religion to further their goals! Why are they going against their editorial board and mocking Mormons?

• Hank Pym Draper, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 11:58 a.m.

re BYUalum -Aug. 12, 2018 12:06 a.m.

1) Trump an outsider? He has an Ivy League degree & plenty of former G Sachs excecs in his administration

2) He is a strong businessman and negotiator. Would a strong business man bankrupt casinos? Would a shrewd negotiator pout like a 7 yo as he did at the G7 in Canada recently?

3) He is blunt and bold. He's tactless & Self-absorbed

4) No one pushes him around. Putin does. KJU did. Limbaugh & Murdoch more than likely do.

• JSB Sugar City, ID
    Aug. 12, 2018 11:51 a.m.

In 2016, Trump received only 45% of Utah's vote which is the lowest percentage of any of the states that voted for Trump. Some states that voted for Hilary gave Trump a higher percentage than Utah did which indicates that Trump is not popular or respected in Utah. Many voters felt like they were forced to choose between a Jeroboam and a Rehoboam both of whom were wicked, tragic rulers. In order for the United States to prosper, we need righteous leadership. But for decades we elected people like Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon, Clinton, Trump, etc. who have, by their words and behavior supported the war in Viet Nam, abortion, sexual promiscuity, lying & deceit, etc. we cannot expect to receive the Lord's help. And without His help, our nation will continue to crumble.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 11:07 a.m.

11 Guidelines Mormons Should Use in Evaluating Political Candidates. by Krista Cook
    1. Ask for Spiritual Assistance as You Evaluate Candidates.
    2. Rely on Reliable Voter Information Websites/Sources.
    3. Identify/Examine Candidate's Values. Identify what values guide the candidate in all decision making, not just a particular position on one issue.
    4. Determine Candidate's Personal Honesty/Integrity. High standards of truth/personal integrity should be evident in every aspect of the candidate's life.
    5. Determine if Candidate is Able to Wield Power Righteously. If they exploit/abuse anyone, this should be a concern. Look for abuse in any form. People who cannot handle power, shouldn't have any.
    6. Determine how Candidate Uses Information/Makes Decisions. To make good decisions, leaders must ensure they hear both the good and the bad.
    7. Ignore/Avoid Examining Voting Records. Project Vote Smart provides voting record analysis done by specialized organizations.
    8. Remember candidates Inherit Conditions/Decisions Made by Their Predecessors.
    9. Allow Candidates/Office Holders to Change Their Minds.
    10. Is Candidate Willing to Work Hard?
    11. Remember That Laws Can Become Corrupted.

• J Thompson SPRINGVILLE, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 10:52 a.m.

Trump is not running in November. That will be news to Trump bashers, but it is the unvarnished truth. To tell Mormons to stay home because Trump was elected in 2016 is the worst kind of propaganda.

What we should do is what Romney did in 2016, we should vote for our wives instead of the candidate that is running. If anyone thinks that Romney is the "guy", they should do exactly what he did. His example of civic responsiblity should be the target that all of his followers aim for.

I am a Mormon. I can tell the difference between good and evil. I can tell the difference between what those who are trying to conserve the Constitution are doing and those are doing who think that the Constitution is a mere piece of paper that should have been torn up two hundred years ago. I know what it will take to get judges appointed who respect the Constitution. I know what it will take to drain the swamp and make America great again. I am going to vote and I am not going to vote for those whom the Trump bashers promote - including Romney.

• RRB SLC, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 10:41 a.m.

Would we have been better off voting for the other person? To me the answer was no.

Most of the times I have voted, I have voted against people, not for people. Right now the open border Democrats scare me, and Trump has done a pretty good job.

• Jer-Bear Mapleton, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 10:18 a.m.

I'm LDS, and have been a Trump supporter since he first proclaimed running for Presidency!

I'm not voting for a Bishop!
    But for a President not from Washington, who will GET THINGS DONE !!!

• Real Person Draper, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 10:03 a.m.

The United Utah party is a good alternative.

• Furry1993 Ogden, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 9:55 a.m.

I'm a strong and devout Latter-day Saint, as is my husband, and have been for over 40 years. As such there is absolutely no way we can support someone as corrupt, dishonest, amoral, licentious, and destructive., as trump.

The 13h Article of Faith of our religion says:
    "We believe in being honest, true, chaste, benevolent, virtuous, and in doing good to all men; indeed, we may say that we follow the admonition of Paul—We believe all things, we hope all things, we have endured many things, and hope to be able to endure all things. If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy, we seek after these things. "

trump is none of those things and, as a result, we do not seek after him in any way. To comply with the requirements and scriptures of our faith we are directed to reject him and his excesses and programs because they are not "virtuous, lovely, or of good report or praiseworthy".

trump has done nothing good for the United States, and we are falling into disrespect as a result. My husband and I will follow our faith, and will do what is necessary to LEGALLY remove trump and his regime from power, and work to restore our country to what it should be.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Aug. 12, 2018 9:37 a.m.

@Irony Guy

So, by your definition, President Trump cannot be "evil" because he has done so much GOOD.

🤔

• BlueHusky Mission Viejo, CA
    Aug. 12, 2018 9:37 a.m.

As a recent immigrant from California to Utah, I don't understand Utah politics. I've been a registered Republican all my life, and am an active Mormon. But I've never voted a straight ticket. Ever. Until the 2016 election where I voted straight Democrat.

Trump is a narcissistic villain with a very spotted business record. As we will soon learn, Trump is the most corrupt president we've ever had. His six bankruptcies shed a lot of light on his "business acumen". He will not be running for re-election because he will most likely be in jail. His White House is a shambles. His foreign policy is stupid. And his tariffs will soon destroy the expansion. How many new jobs has Trump created? How many of you will benefit from the "tax cut". If you are not a millionaire, you will scarcely notice the difference. You conservatives are usually opposed to deficits: Trump has sent the deficits to the highest levels since WW II.

Black and white religious conviction is one thing. Black and white politics is another. My died in the wool Republican father once told me: vote for the man, not the party.

I will NEVER vote for Trump. I will not vote for a Trump supporter. Drain the swamp? Vote Dem.

• NeilT Ogden, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 9:35 a.m.

Republicans claim to be the party of family values and place a high value on moral character. Trump represents neither of these values. Many are willing to overlook his character flaws as long as unemployment is down and the stock market up. I have always considered Trump to be a self centered, egotistical and a bully who likes to hurl insults and pick fights with people. I voted for Evan McMullin a far better candidate. Another good choice is Governor Kasich of Ohio. The Republican Party has been taken over by extremists who place party allegiance over country. How does that make America great again? Ronald Reagan made America great by uniting the country and focusing on our common values. Reagan had warmth and charisma.
    Today's Republicans are nothing like Reagan.

• Herbert Gravy Salinas, CA
    Aug. 12, 2018 8:24 a.m.

Ha ha. We are not falling for it. Best President we have had in a long time.

I and millions of others have no desire to return to the Obama or Bush years.

A President who thinks outside of the box and corrects problems that have existed right under our noses for years.

No, I don't like everything he says or does, or has done in his life, but as a leader he is awesome.

🤗

• scrappy do DRAPER, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 7:59 a.m.

There won’t be a GOP after the 2020 elections

Get ready for 50 years of Dem control after Trump explodes the Republicans

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 7:59 a.m.

I also think Mormons will do just fine among Republican candidates. Look at the Republican platform and compare it to the Democrat's. Republicans stand for everything in which I believe, and Yes! I am LDS to the core!

God bless America, and God bless our strong President Trump!

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 7:48 a.m.

Trump enjoys high approval among Mormons

And his approval broadly is higher than Obama’s at this time in his presidency (see: Rasmussen)

This is fake news

• Thid Barker Victor, ID
    Aug. 12, 2018 7:48 a.m.

Democrats are pipe dreaming, again! Its very difficult for Mormons (and all serious Christians) to support the Democratic platform! The left often mock and ridicule people of Christian faith ("They cling to their Guns, their God and their Bible")!
    The majority of Americans in 30 out of 50 states (60%) chose to accept President Trump, with all his faults and all the accusations (real or imagined) over his opponent with all her faults and accusations (real or imagined)! That's called democracy! That's why Donald Trump is our imperfect POTUS and why his also imperfect opponent never will be!

• bamafone Salem, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 6:55 a.m.

Have to agree with PP in Eagle Mountain.
    Hate to pop the utopian bubble of the author and all the never's, but Trump won with the LDS vote, and will again.

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    Aug. 12, 2018 6:41 a.m.

@ PP

"Steve Cottrell - you comments seem strangely inconsistent with your claim that you are a registered republican."

Using the most charitable possible interpretation, let's assume that most registered Republicans would claim that character and integrity are important values to them. What the age of Trump has shown us is that some place these values at a higher priority than others. Mr. Cottrell appears to fall into this category.

• Chris from Rose Park Hartford, CT
    Aug. 12, 2018 6:07 a.m.

I am LDS, lean right, and I cannot bring myself to support Trump, with my vote or financially. I second what @JBs said. I like some of his positions, but that alone does not get my vote. I'm disgusted by his attitude and am saddened when I hear someone defend that attitude. I also struggle to desire to support other candidates who defend that behavior. I want someone who works together on good policy and calls out the poor behavior.

The Democratic party also doesn't get my vote. I've consistently felt the party has no desire to understand me or my motivations. It seems to me that if you don't agree with their policy then you are labeled as someone against the poor, uncaring to women, sexist, bigoted, etc. They play a game of social shaming which is bullying and it's not a good alternative to Trump.

Perhaps one day we will actually have a uniting voice running for office. I don't have to agree on policies, but that person will surely get my vote (as long as policies aren't absolutely bonkers).

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    Aug. 12, 2018 5:39 a.m.

LDS support for Trump is the irony of the century.

I am as firm LDS as anyone, and I cannot see how my fellow LDS can support the filthy stream of lies, corruption, and contempt for humanity flowing out of the White House.

How is it "consistent with LDS values" to lie constantly? to cage up little children? To dump sewage into our air and water? To disparage other countries as fecal matter? To reverse the drop in the deficit just to further enrich billionaires with a bogus "tax cut"? To throw millions of people off health insurance? To cut off financial aid to college students when they need it most? To cozy up to thugs like Putin while assigning our closest allies to "a special place in hell"? To defend white supremacists as "fine people"? to spread contention with every childish "tweet"? or to lie constantly about his adulteries?

My Book of Mormon denounces such men in the clearest of language: "For behold, God hath said a man being evil cannot do that which is good." Obviously.

• Itsjustpyrite Magna, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 5:25 a.m.

A co-worker and I had some well-intentioned and good-humored discussions during the 16 election, mostly just ribbing each other about the candidates as I was well known to be left leaning. Him being LDS I would rib him about supporting Trump just because he was a Republican. This went on all the way up until the election. The very next day he walked up to me looking quite shocked ( as was I) that Donald Trump had won. He actually apologize to me. I think he realized then that Obama was right and that elections have consequences. it's been about a year-and-a-half now and he has not said one word about the political Spectrum going on in the world. He acts ashamed. And perhaps he is. This gave me no joy . The problem is I'm ashamed as well. I guess it's all fun and games until Donald Trump gets elected to office.

• my_two_cents_worth university place, WA
    Aug. 12, 2018 3:23 a.m.

@PP

"pro constitution, Pro law enforcement, pro legal immigration..."

Trump's none of those. Are you sure you voted for the right candidate?

• Terry Sandy, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 2:43 a.m.

Since when have Mormons not backed enforcing our borders from illegal immigration? Kudos to Trump, the first President to really try to enforce our borders from millions of people that largely don't care about breaking our laws, share our values/pride in this country. Billions of dollars of illegal drugs also cross the boarder annually. First time real manufacturing jobs have come Back to the USA since the early 80s, lower taxes, higher wages for the first time in 10+ years, record unemployment and job growth, especially among minorities and women. Religious freedom is championed by Trump and his district and supreme court picks will save our constitution from liberal activist judges for at least a generation.

The Alternative? The liberals are running on repealing personal and corporate tax cuts, reversing our prosperity. Support Obamacare,huge premium hikes, higher taxes,big government control. They want to get rid of ICE and have open borders to bring in millions more illegal votes. They plan to impeach Trump with Zero evidence of wrong doing in the fabricated Russia Hoax. A vote for anyone but Trump or Republicans is a vote for this nightmare Socialist vision.

• RBB Sandy, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 2:07 a.m.

So is it better to vote for someone who is an adulterer who is against abortion and appoints good judges to the Supreme Court, or to vote for the person is is totally faithful to his or her spouse who supports funding abortions with tax dollars and.is likely to instill juustice like Ginsburg and Bryer?

I did not vote for Trump last time, but I probably will next time. While he is brash, he has actually tried to keep his campaign promises. He is also willing to get on the case of our allies who are not keeping their commitments on defense spending.

For all of you who are bothered by separating familys at the border, why werent you upset when it happened under Clinton, Bush and Obama

• Plebus Sandy, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 12:33 a.m.

I don't know why any honest LDS person who faithfully supports people of good "character" and "conscience" would support our President. One can support the institutions of government, and its offices, without sycophantically supporting unethical people and practices.

In almost every respect this President has shown himself to be a person of no moral character without any sense for honesty, fair play, or ethics--one who is willing to break rules to win at any cost-- even if it means undermining the very people, rules, laws, and institutions of the public he is sworn to protect and defend.

I'm LDS and I can't in good conscience vote for such a divisive and morally bankrupt politician, nor support those who willingly choose to aid and abet such corrupt behavior over moral principle. Politicians who aid him won't get my support at the ballot box. Should they get yours?

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 12:06 a.m.

I am LDS also to the core, and I fully support President Trump.

Although I don't agree with some things he says, I wholeheartedly feel that he is the right man for this time as our POTUS. He is an outsider (no ties to lobbyists or special interests) and that is what this country needed to clean out the swamp in D.C. He is a strong businessman and negotiator. He is blunt and bold. I LOVE that! No one pushes him around. He is a president for and of the people. The more the left opposes him, the more I like him and his policies.

I like seeing more jobs created, a strong economy, lower unemployment, fewer people on food stamps and welfare, etc. I want enforced immigration laws and a wall. I, myself, have enjoyed a 25% pay raise. I have loved the way he has rolled regulations back from the prior administration.

There's still a lot to be done. The enormous cover-ups in the FBI, IRS, DOJ, etc. need time to clean things out. I was worried, yet patient, for 8 years. I am optimistic that he can do the job!

I think people will weigh carefully and choose wisely with Republicans. The Dems have no strong platform.

I pray for President Trump every day!

• TAS Tehachapi, CA
    Aug. 11, 2018 11:57 p.m.

Well said JB, my complements. As someone who has been a Republican all my life, Trump is not the kind of person I can support. We are counseled to support honorable men for public office. My observation is that Trump is not an honorable man. His shady business practices and personal morals disqualify him.

• JBs Logan, UT
    Aug. 11, 2018 11:44 p.m.

I am LDS to my core and I'm a never Trumper. There is no way, because of my beliefs and values, that I could support him. There are more important things than having a couple of extra pennies in my pocket because of tax cuts (actually, my taxes have gone up). Character springs to mind, as does integrity, telling the truth, putting the country and others first, compassion for others, and seeing everyone as equally valuable. As far as I have been able to see, Trump has none of those values.

• PP Eagle Mountain, UT
    Aug. 11, 2018 10:45 p.m.

Impartial - Since the two candidates both have values inconsistent with LDS values you do the best you can. But let me just say that anti abortion, pro constitution, Pro law enforcement, pro legal immigration, conservative justices, low taxes - all things pro LDS and all things Trump is in favor of. Sure he has issues in his own life that aren't consistent with LDS values, but his governing definitely is. On the other hand, Hillarys governing would have been wildly inconsistent with LDS values. Not to mention her well documented and verified corruption. To this point there hasn't been any verified corruption from the trump campaign, just a lot of hot air from the media and leftists.

How does a completely fabricated article like this even see the light of day. It would take someone like Mitt or Lee running against Trump in the primaries to even make most LDS people consider a change. Someone like Bernie Sanders - currently the likely Dem candidate - wouldn't stand a chance.

• Steve Cottrell Centerville, UT
    Aug. 11, 2018 10:12 p.m.

I certainly do not support Trump, even though I am registered as a Republican. Nor will I support any candidate who is a Trump supporter. His recent attacks against allies at NATO and then supportive comments in favor of enemy Putin ought to get him and his cronies out of office.

• RRB SLC, UT
    Aug. 11, 2018 10:05 p.m.

How did they rebuke him? They gave him the majority of their votes.

• Ernest T. Bass Bountiful, UT
    Aug. 11, 2018 9:45 p.m.

Since when is there distaste? Utah gives trump the highest approval rating in the US, I would say the majority of LDS in Utah love trump. Cannot comprehend how, but apparently they do.

• patriot Cedar Hills, UT
    Aug. 11, 2018 9:09 p.m.

Senators Orin Hatch and Mike Lee are the two most high profile LDS senators and both are firm supporters of the president. Enough said. Perhaps the Deseret News could at least allow people to hear from our senators here in Utah rather than the side streams of noise from the left. Utah voted for the president and now with the tax cuts and the appointment of justice Gorsuch his popularity among LDS has grown. Fact.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    Aug. 11, 2018 9:06 p.m.

Yep, LDS. Keep voting against your purported values, that you have had since year 8. Just to keep an adulterous, lying, womanizing Republican in the White House. Put aside your ethics and principles for the GOP. Sound about right?

• 1Reader Alpine, UT
    Aug. 11, 2018 9:02 p.m.

I think the GOP will do just fine among Mormons this round.