A. Scott Anderson: How this 'transformative' project can improve your health by addressing social issues

• Red Smith American Fork, UT
    Aug. 11, 2018 7:02 a.m.

Cox is a lawyer. Gov appointing a lawyer to fix health care. Dumb idea.

Might as well appoint a plumber to fix an electrical problem.

• RedShirtHarvard Cambridge, MA
    Aug. 9, 2018 11:47 a.m.

To "Thomas Jefferson" I am confused by your statement. First you say that you want to get rid of middlemen in healthcare. Then you want to put the government in as the middleman in healthcare. You do realize that when the government is the middleman in healthcare that either costs go down by making the system worse or else costs go up to support the government empires.

If governments were so efficient, why is it that they keep turning things over the private industry?

• Thomas Jefferson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 9, 2018 11:09 a.m.

"As a side note, I distrust our government more than I distrust my insurance company to take care of my health..."

I find this thought/attitude beyond foolish.

• conservative scientist Lindon, UT
    Aug. 9, 2018 10:59 a.m.

Neither doctors nor the health care system can fix the social woes causing health problems in Americans. If patients were required to take more active responsibility for their healthcare, in the form of increased premiums for unhealthy behaviors for example, then that would be a bigger impetus for change.

• bassoonlady OREM, UT
    Aug. 9, 2018 10:29 a.m.

Mr. Jefferson,
    The article states that only 20 % of our health is actually effected by the medical industry. Even if single payer would improve it to be 100% perfect in every way, it is still only effecting 20% of our health, making your claim that the single most helpful thing we can do is go single payer unlikely.
    Really, the single most important thing people can do for their health is to be proactive about it. Don't wait until you've had a heart attach to eat healthy and exercise. Don't wait until your mental breakdown to deal with stress. If you don't know the principles of living healthy, learn them and follow them, and visit the Dr when you need to.

• Thomas Jefferson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    Aug. 9, 2018 8:36 a.m.

The one thing we could do to improve healthcare is to rid it of the middleman leeches who take all the money and provide nothing in return. Its beyond time to move to a single payer system which covers everyone and cost less like every other modern country in the world.

• strom thurmond taylorsville, UT
    Aug. 8, 2018 11:18 p.m.

Mr Anderson owes employees of Intermountain Healthcare a personal apology for the disasterous reorganization he orchestrated, which, I am told, is sill a continuing mess.

One only need to peruse Glassdoor to get a flavor of this.

Shame.