Why people of faith are speaking up about paid family leave

• Millenial Snow Sandy, UT
    Aug. 30, 2018 8:27 p.m.

All of you who say "Get the government out of my life"

The government acts as a counterbalance to the darker side of capitalism.

Real capitalism wouldn't force companies to provide breaks or healthcare or any safety protections. We would be working longer hours with no benefits.

The government isn't perfect but it isn't the enemy.

• SMcloud Sandy, UT
    Aug. 30, 2018 8:23 p.m.

How did we get the 40 hour workweek? A two day weekend?
    How did we ensure a safe workplace? No child laborers?

It's when the people banded together in unions and pushed for it.

Corporations aren't going to look out for you and your family. They care about money. They don't care about your child with cancer or mother in a nursing home. If you want social change you have to vote it in.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 16, 2018 10:28 a.m.

@Tryor "The role of government is to protect the rights of its citizens -- not to force mandates on employers or to raise taxes on everyone to create a safety net."

Carnegie's men got one day off per year. That's what unchecked employer power gets you. You want that?

• Tryor Mesa, AZ
    Aug. 15, 2018 12:32 p.m.

Government policies should not be created based on sympathy for people's circumstances. The role of government is to protect the rights of its citizens -- not to force mandates on employers or to raise taxes on everyone to create a safety net.
    If people want to have children, that's up to them and that's fine. I've had five. They are a blessing. But coping with life is part of the sacrifice you make in having children. But making others pay for it is not fair.

• jane 66 Alameda, CA
    Aug. 14, 2018 1:28 a.m.

Wow. Such generous folks. But I'm confused. Politicians can spend lots of money on silly things like special phone rooms and expensive furniture for their offices and private jets to take them wherever their hearts desire, they can find money to pay for the Secret Service to rent golf carts on Trump's many many golf vacations (and those little vacations cost us taxpayers $3 million per weekend I heard somewhere) and no one complains. Give the very rich and big corporations a major tax cut and spend millions separating children from their parents and then losing them, but heaven forbid that families who don't have special privileges like those running our government have, and lots of people are outraged. People of faith should be finding ways to strengthen families because they know that families are the foundation of a good society. But we seem to have a society that believes only the rich and powerful deserve to get any help from the government - which shows what our values really are.

• EscherEnigma Ridgecrest, CA
    Aug. 13, 2018 11:35 a.m.

If you want a laugh, compare the comments here ("why won't people with children pay for those kids themselves!") to the comments on any article talking about dropping fertility rates ("we need more babies to support the economy!").

The fertility/economy problem leads directly to more government subsidies for having children. Don't want the government to make it easier to have a kid? Then you need to speak up (or speak up a lot louder) when people talk about folks *not* having kids is bad for the nation. And please note, that's not a moral command, it's a practical one. Things like this (mandatoyr paid maternity leave) is a consequence of the perceived fertility problem. So if you don't want to hear things like this, you have to attack that perception first.

If you don't do that, and the perception of there being a fertility problem continues to grow? Then the government will continue to look for, and eventually pass, more ways to encourage folks to have children.

• ConservativeCommonTater West Valley City, UT
    Aug. 13, 2018 9:59 a.m.

Gotta love the religious folks...

They get tax free property with full benefits of police, fire, etc.

They get tax breaks for each of their bumbles of joy that the rest of us get to make up for their breaks.

They don't have to pay for the schooling of their children, we get to pick up the slack.

People that want large families would be able to take off several months every year or so, and get paid for that time off. That means the employer loses money and other employees don't get raises to help cover the cost of baby farming.

People that have children demand "day care" coverage from the government and their employers. Again, those costs have to be made up by people that don't use that "benefit."

When do these people have to start thinking about THEIR cost of owning children as part of their financial and life planning?

If all these Christians and their churches want all these benefits for people having children, when do they and their church start paying for the costs also?

Personal responsibility?????

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 12, 2018 4:23 p.m.

We don't want to put small business owners out of business. They are part of the backbone of America. Leave should be limited to 8 weeks to not create hardship on businesses and gov't. Let people take out of their social security.

• Tyler D Prescott, AZ
    Aug. 9, 2018 8:52 a.m.

@GrainOfSalt – “… nefarious way to get an oppressive agenda passed.”

I’m trying to wrap my head around exactly what is “nefarious” about mothers & fathers being able to spend time with a newborn. How to pay for it is a different issue.

The Republican proposal is laughably non-sequitur – it’s like saying “we’ll provide medical care when you’re old if you can get your kids to skip 1st grade.”

• Silver Stingray St George, UT
    Aug. 8, 2018 1:53 p.m.

By definition, "people of faith" act on their emotions rather than their education or intellect. Big hearts vs. big brains always leads to poor decisions.

• Red Smith American Fork, UT
    Aug. 8, 2018 1:16 p.m.

We give sick days, personal days, vacations day some get a month. When does it end?

Single people get no family leave time, but married get family leave time?

Farmers can't take family leave time. The crops will die.

Stay at home mother can't take family leave time, the family would come apart.

There is no free lunch. Venezuela tried this. Now it's all family time and no food.

• Exercise4Health Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2018 12:55 p.m.

@ Mind Baggage

Wow. Thanks for helping me to feel more comfortable about all this. I guess I'll be okay after all.

Perhaps after the government mandates that my customers stay with me, they can also mandate that my customers have to purchase my goods and services and a specific rate so as to provide me with an assured income at a level that will support my family -- a living wage, so to speak -- regardless of the quality of the product and the effort, or lack thereof, to provide that product.

You nailed it with that idea. I'm not worried at all anymore. The government will take care of me.

I'm so at peace now.

Thanks.

• Karen R. Houston, TX
    Aug. 8, 2018 12:16 p.m.

"'The conversation about federal policy is oriented around money. Where is the money going to come from? How much will this policy cost? We'd love Christians to bring the moral and ethical and humanizing part of the conversation into focus and ask what a flourishing society looks like,' said Katelyn Beaty, one of the report's co-authors."

How odd. Does she not know that the reason the current conversation is fixated on money is because we've already agreed on the moral/ethical/humanizing part?

• Mind Baggage Bentonville, AR
    Aug. 8, 2018 12:07 p.m.

@Exercise4Health

You don't need to worry about this at all. Take the family leave. Because after the gov't passes the Family Leave law, they will follow up with the "Business Retention & Success Act," which will mandate that all your customers must continue to use your services in your absence.

You see? Problem fixed, compliments of Uncle Sam.

BTW, DN....Papua New Guinea is most definitely not an industrialized nation.

• a_voice_of_reason Woods Cross, UT
    Aug. 8, 2018 11:46 a.m.

I am a huge supporter of paid family leave - with individual companies. I think the government can give tax incentives, but should not require it. Companies who voluntarily offer paid family leave will be rewarded by having happier workforces and better employee retention. Those who don't will go without those benefits.
    My biggest concern with the government forcing paid family leave will cause workplace discrimination or it will put companies out of business - most likely both. I'm thinking of small companies - less than 50 or even less than 25 employees. In a small business you don't have backups for most jobs - when somebody is out there job doesn't get done until they're back and nobody else knows how to do it. The company cannot survive a key employee being out and getting paid for a couple months. So, when they hire for that position and a young married woman - or a woman who is already expecting - walks in for an interview right or wrong, that business owner already expects they have months of salary to pay for no work. Even if it's sub-consciously there will be discrimination. How widespread? I don't know, but it will happen.

• zgomer Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2018 11:45 a.m.

How about we get government out of our business and our lives!

• Exercise4Health Salt Lake City, UT
    Aug. 8, 2018 11:30 a.m.

As is typical with "progressive" issues like this, we start the article with an example of how wonderful the entitlement is and how it so wondrously helps families and children and how people just can't make it without this wondrous wonderfulness.

You know what? I would love to take three or four months off work with full pay like this professor did. What a wonderful thing that would be for my family and me and our bonding. But guess what? I'm a small businessman and if I take three or four months off work I not only take a 25-33% cut in pay, I lose much of the business that I have worked so hard for, as my customers go elsewhere in my absence and more than likely never come back. So not only do I take a financial hit, my business might as well be shuttered permanently for all the business I would lose.

If a business has means to provide paid time off, I'm all for it. Nice benefit if you can get it. However, the government has no business mandating such a benefit, even for large business. And the government has absolutely no business providing such a benefit on the backs of the taxpayers. Government workers supping at the government trough is a feast enough as it is.

• Thidder MAPLETON, UT
    Aug. 8, 2018 10:55 a.m.

People of faith should be opposed to any law forcing employers to pay for paid leave. People of faith should equal People for personal responsibility.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    Aug. 8, 2018 10:10 a.m.

I'm not sure the article answered the question it raised in the title. I'm still left wondering Why "People of Faith" (as opposed to non-believers?) are "speaking up" and yet:

"Religious Americans are actually less likely than the average American to support paid family leave, according to Pew Research Center..."

Doesn't sound like a movement or anything. In fact, it sounds like "people of faith" in general are NOT speaking up on this topic! But a few people are speaking up and trying to make it a religious-political issue.

That's not news.

• Red Corvette St George, UT
    Aug. 8, 2018 9:23 a.m.

Religion has a habit of sticking its nose into everything.

• GrainOfSalt Draper, UT
    Aug. 8, 2018 7:41 a.m.

We need to get the government out of telling businesses what to do when it comes to things like this. Covering government dictates in a religious cloak is a subtle but nefarious way to get an oppressive agenda passed. Paid family leave has become a staple at many businesses without the government's help, and that's fine, too. But we don't need to pass a law to force every good idea on everyone else. This is not freedom. Ironically, you are using religion to advocate limiting other people's freedom.