19 mayors back Mia Love in 'toss-up' race against Ben McAdams

• Romneyiswrongforutah Sandy, UT
    July 24, 2018 11:39 a.m.

Iron Rod - Salt Lake City, UT If someone is ignorant enough to fall for those scams I don't feel bad for them, also I think the word you meant was illegal.

• Romneyiswrongforutah Sandy, UT
    July 24, 2018 11:37 a.m.

Six percentage points is not a toss up. Someone please tell Mcsadams that.

• Makid Salt Lake City, UT
    July 23, 2018 11:57 a.m.

@ERB, you don't think that Trump supports Putin? Especially since he has stated so multiple times before and after becoming President.

Trump is raising Tariffs?
    The Jobless rate hasn't increased under Trump?
    Companies haven't moved jobs to other countries because Trump raised tariffs and other countries reciprocated making it cheaper to build their products outside of the U.S. rather than to build in the U.S. and export them?

The exported jobs, make other countries economies stronger, making them greater. The lost jobs make the U.S. weaker driving up unemployment, increasing the burden on government services which Republicans want to cut to pay for a new round of tax cuts for the top 10% right before the election.

Trump wants to further increase tariffs, which will further slow the economy, which will further increase unemployment, furthering the cycle of leading the country closer and closer to another recession with failed Republican Trickle Down tax policies when Rising Tide policies are known to actually work. These are cut the bottom tax levels and either raise or leave the top alone and watch revenues, jobs and wages increase.

• ConservativeCommonTater West Valley City, UT
    July 23, 2018 9:00 a.m.

So, Mormon Republican mayors are supporting Mormon Republican Love?

In other news, water is wet.

Why are these Mormon Republicans supporting Love? It's so the Mormon Republicans in Utah can maintain a lock on a Republican seat in DC.

It doesn't matter that the biggest accomplishment that Love has done is to get some of her constituents a personal guided tour in Zion NP. Can anyone name anything else she has done?

As for her local work, she holds "town hall" meetings by phone, with a very limited number of pre-screened people able to speak with her and gush over her.

Mia Love gets her campaign money from those out-of-state agitators, like the Koch Bros.

Since Love does not have an overwhelming lead over Adams, I'm guessing that the people in her District have seen what she has done...nothing!

Adams, hopefully, will beat Love in the November Blue Wave.

• ERB Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 23, 2018 6:53 a.m.

Makid, if you truly believe Trump is doing all that, just wow.

• PP Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 23, 2018 12:00 a.m.

Rebekka - I was not waiting for 6 million people to die - I was merely pointing out to you what an atrocity is.

Also, what is both funny and ironic at the same time is that you said you phoned Loves office to get her help in the separation of families at the border. You do realize that it was the Obama administration that started the program and Trump that ended it don't you? So is Trump an evil atrocity machine or is he a problem solver? In your own words he is apparently a problem solver. You mentioned that it was not an act of congress that solved the problem, why didn't you credit the person who actually did solved the problem? And for the record, I don't blame Obama for the situation - I blame well meaning laws that came into conflict with asylum cases. So yo don't actually list any atrocities that you claim exist, but the one example you give is actually something pro Trump. Interesting :)

Iron Rod - It is her job to make laws - not enforce them. There are already laws about scam calls, plus there is a national do not call registry that you are free to register your phone number with. What law do you think Mrs Love should propose?

• PP Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 22, 2018 11:22 p.m.

Rebekka, et all.

You didn't list the atrocities you claim. You not liking trump is not an atrocity. The separated families at the border that was instituted by the Obama administration and is not actually anything dramatic if you do your homework - is not an atrocity. Nominating 2 conservative justices is not an atrocity. Making a minor mistake in his speech in Helsinki is not an atrocity. calling the press liars is not an atrocity - even it it wasn't true.

According to the Oxford English dictionary an atrocity is - "An extremely wicked or cruel act, typically one involving physical violence or injury."

So no, you didn't list anything at all - but I would like to know what you think trump has done that is an atrocity.

As I said, I didn't like trump at all, but I'm smart enough and honest enough to admit that I was wrong. If he actually commits an atrocity (or just bad policy) I may change my mind. If you let go of the unreasoning hatred you will be happier. I promise.

• Rebekeh Salt Lake City, UT
    July 22, 2018 3:47 p.m.

@PP

If you're waiting for 6 million people to die at the hands of evil ideology before stepping in and saying 'enough', I'm not sure how to help. I thought I listed what I thought were atrocious behaviors of our commander in chief, the ones that Ms. Love will verbally reject- but fail any action to correct.

@Iron Rod
    I recently called to ask her help in getting the separation of families at the border stopped. I did not speak with her, but did get to speak with a real person who answered. Instead of listening or taking note, he argued with me about how she couldn't do anything because it was congress' job. He assured me that she didn't like what was happening, and was working on legislation, but nothing could be done about it. He even started yelling at me at one point. Of course, days later it was stopped without an act of congress.

At other times I've only been met with a recording to which I leave voicemail. Vote for Ben. Maybe he has enough backbone to correct the truly disgusting policies of our current administration. Plus, he seems like a genuine guy.

• dordrecht Salt Lake City, UT
    July 22, 2018 2:49 p.m.

All those mayors who support Love, are they all Republicans? If so, then the support is obvious.

• Makid Salt Lake City, UT
    July 22, 2018 2:17 p.m.

@Rikitikitavi, one should also remember that a vote for the Republican is also a vote for Trump, which is a vote for Putin, tariffs, increasing jobless rates, exporting of jobs to other countries and making the rest of the world great again.

It is also a vote for making the rich, top 10% of the U.S. richer and the bottom 90% poorer. Cutting services on the same 90%, healthcare, Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security, and any emergency support system while the top 10% have their safety nets in place.

So again, if you aren't in the top 10%, voting Republican is voting against your interests because the whole party just cares about the top 10% or protecting racists. Voting for Democrats means they may support people that disagree with Trump and vote for bills that protect the poor and also speak out against those that try to tear our country apart.

Hmm, that does make it a hard choice indeed. Protect all people and personal choice, or protect the Rich and insert religious views into others decisions, even if they are not religious. Freedom of religion is also Freedom from Religion.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    July 22, 2018 10:45 a.m.

Her record of standing by Trump in some of the dangerous things he is doing to our country should be of concern to all Republicans. We need leaders of courage especially now says. They need to be ethical and accountable or we don't need them.

• Rikitikitavi Cardston, Alberta
    July 22, 2018 9:44 a.m.

Just remember that a vote for the Dem is also a vote for Chuckie Schumer, Nancy Pelosi, Maxine Waters.....well you get the picture! You can even pretend that hillary is still in the picture if you prefer socialism so much!

• RWOFVA RIVERTON, UT
    July 22, 2018 9:00 a.m.

Iron Rod if you do just a little looking on the FCC website you'd see what is being done and that it has nothing to do with Mia Love.

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    July 22, 2018 8:23 a.m.

referencing PP. Eagle Mountain

“Iron Rod - You are barking up the wrong tree so to speak. What does Love's office have to do with robocalls? If you called me for an update on the weather I wouldn't answer you either, because it's not my job.”

Perhaps I was wrong. I thought Mia Love as my Congresswoman’s job was to make laws. You know the kind that would make phone scamming illegal and assess a penalty for breaking that law.

I guess she had the same thought as you “...is not my job.”

By the way exactly what has she done to introduce a bill that she originated?

• Flyboy1 South Jordan, UT
    July 22, 2018 8:21 a.m.

Mrs Love has done nothing to represent the people of this district. She has been a party player the entire time. There are issues that face District 4 are issues for which both conservative and Democrats have solutions. She has done nothing, but agree with the party line in DC.

• PP Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 21, 2018 11:37 p.m.

• PP Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 21, 2018 11:34 p.m.

I doubt this race is as close as this article suggests. We will see I guess.

Rebeka - can you identify some of those "obvious atrocities" that Trump supports? They are not really that obvious to me. To me an atrocity is killing 6Mil Jews or something on that scale, not supposed unhappy illegals at the border. Illegals that have been there in one form or another our whole lives. However, some of the fantastic benefits to the country that Trump has been the architect of are obvious. If you want I will name one or two... or twenty. Believe me, I hated the idea of Trump being president. I thought he would be horrible. Well, I am big enough to admit that I was wrong. Are you big enough to admit that the litany of left wing attacks are without merit?

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    July 21, 2018 10:14 p.m.

My question remains.
    Among the readers has anyone ever had the chance to physically talk to Mia Love about a concern?

• Makid Salt Lake City, UT
    July 21, 2018 10:08 p.m.

It is amazing that an incumbent is in a statistical tie, especially a Republican, in a Gerrymandered district, this far out from the election, in conservative Utah.

What is more shocking is that if you watch the news, you see Paul Ryan's news conferences, Mia Love is right behind him. Nearly every day, multiple times a day, she is in front of the cameras. She is also sending out mailers often regarding the campaign, using her Congressional Office funds, hence no prepaid return postage.

Yet, with all of this, she is barely ahead in the polls and Ben McAdams? He hasn't even started to campaign yet. Maybe a sign here and there but no actual campaigning. That should tell you more about how scared Mia is of Ben.

If Ben is behind by 4 points without any campaigning to someone who is sending mailings weekly that can be classified as campaigning. Just wait for Ben to actually start to campaign, to discuss issues, not presumptions or fears or talking points but actual issues. Ben is happy to go away from his party 90% or more of the time, Mia is less than 2%. This shows me and others who is better for the Country and who is only for the Party.

• Rebekeh Salt Lake City, UT
    July 21, 2018 10:00 p.m.

So no change then? Republicans will continue to support Love and the public will continue to vote republican. Why? She hasn't done anything to support the folks who've voted her in to begin with.

She continues to support Donald Trump with occasional statements that rebuke the obvious atrocities he seems to embrace.

A vote for Ms. Love is a vote for separating families at the border, blatant racism as demonstrated in Charlottesville, propping up Russian oligarchs over American families, and a diminished presence in the world. She supports Donald Trump and does what she's told.

Is this what Utahns want, just so they can maybe end Roe V Wade? Pathetic.

• water rocket Magna, UT
    July 21, 2018 9:54 p.m.

I am not sure either one of these candidates are going to shake up Washington. I do have to say that Ben, with his boyish good looks, reminds me a lot of John Swallow.

• oaklandaforlife Salt Lake City, UT
    July 21, 2018 8:46 p.m.

I do appreciate the 10 mailers received in the past two weeks Mia. I love to kept up to date. What I DO NOT care for is for is the requirement on your mailer to MAIL your so called approval back with a (prepaid) Stamp. Heavens know there is a TON of money in your account to take care of the postage due.

Sincerely,

Gerry Mander

• Chessermesser West Valley City, UT
    July 21, 2018 7:04 p.m.

I love Love. ‘nuf said.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    July 21, 2018 6:10 p.m.

Mia Love's "town halls" and interactions with her constituents are on par with Trump's "rallies".
    Contrived with scripted interactions. Vote her out.

• Rick for Truth Provo, UT
    July 21, 2018 6:05 p.m.

During the past 2 years, over 5,000 Consevatives have moved into the Sarasota Springs area, the only toss up is in your dreams. Love will win by over 10 percentage points.

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    July 21, 2018 5:46 p.m.

None of our current politicians seem to want to address the issue I was referring to in my previous post.

Telephone scamming is a serious problem especially among the elderly and our immigrant populations.

Here is part of an article appearing on KSL.com a few minutes ago.
    The scammers duplicatec the return call as if coming from Rocky Mountain Power,

“ SALT LAKE CITY — Rocky Mountain Power is warning business customers to be on the lookout for scammers.

RMP spokesperson Tiffany Erickson said they got at least 40 reports of scam calls Thursday. The reports came in from businesses across the Wasatch Front and Cache Valley.

She said the scammers spoofed RMP's customer service phone number, so the caller ID showed a legitimate number. She said the scammers sounded believable.l

Come on political leaders do something,!

• Iron Rod Salt Lake City, UT
    July 21, 2018 5:08 p.m.

“and listening to the people in our communities is what I have strived to achieve as their member of Congress," she said.”

I have a difference experience with Mia Love than what the above quote from the article states.

I tried to get in touch with her office to see if she would do something about the barrage of “Robo Calls” that I was receiving. You know the ones that begin with “ Hello, I am Heather from Credit Card Services...

All I could speak with it appears we’re interns. They referred me to the “Do Not Call” list which I have been on since its inception.

Has anyone who reads this post ever called an talked with Representative Love personally?

Has anyone ever attended a town hall meeting where you could ask her a question?

My personal opinion she isolates her self from her constituents.

Am I wrong?

• Myrtle III Draper, UT
    July 21, 2018 3:33 p.m.

Keep McAdams as SLCC Mayor. We need him there. Keep Love as congresswoman. Congress is a dysfunctional body and it's foolish to think McAdams will do any better there. His impact will be much greater as mayor. Keep them both where they are at.