Troopers preparing now for lower DUI threshold

• Thomas Jefferson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 20, 2018 7:43 a.m.

In my opinion:

It was a stupid mistake to pass this useless lowering of BAC. It will add nothing to safety. But banning cell phone use would. I bet the dont do that because their 'base' wants to keep doing that unsafe thing.

• neece Hyde Park, UT
    July 19, 2018 2:11 p.m.

@Y Ask Y - Provo, UT
    July 19, 2018 9:46 a.m.
    "Another "message bill", or is this one so that Utah legislators can proudly proclaim their moral superiority to the rest of the country?"

Sorry but I don't get your comment... How is changing the amount from .08 to .05 superiority??
    I could care less if people drink/drugs... its when they get behind the wheel that I have a problem with... so if it wasn't a problem... why change it?

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    July 19, 2018 10:49 a.m.

None of Utah's police agencies have portable breathalyzers that can measure .05%.

• ConradGurch Salt Lake City, Utah
    July 19, 2018 10:18 a.m.

I just hope that they will get tougher on texting and driving. It is not fair to me to have to be on the same highways as those who choose to text and drive. They can Uber or take a taxi.

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    July 19, 2018 9:46 a.m.

If it really won't make any difference, then why was the BAC level dropped?

• neece Hyde Park, UT
    July 19, 2018 8:22 a.m.

Sorry Folks, but if there weren't so many driving while impaired, we wouldn't even be having this discussion.

• AlanSutton Salt Lake City, UT
    July 19, 2018 7:01 a.m.

The key to staying clear of this new law is to not drive after drinking ANY alcohol. It’s not fair to other drivers. Taxis, Uber and Lyft are everywhere.

• sgallen Salt Lake City, UT
    July 19, 2018 6:15 a.m.

I welcome the change because we already have too many tourists crowding our deserts and mountains.

• Kenngo1969 Pleasant Grove, UT
    July 18, 2018 10:14 p.m.

4601: "Regardless of the blood alcohol content law, officers must still have probable cause to stop a motorist."

Reasonable suspicion to stop, probable cause to arrest.

• Kenngo1969 Pleasant Grove, UT
    July 18, 2018 10:08 p.m.

Regardless of the hue-and-cry that has accompanied this pending change in the law, I can't see how it will change all that much: It's challenging enough to apprehend impaired motorists and to prove impairment at 0.08. I seriously doubt Utah's jails are going to overflow simply because Stanley stops by the local bar for half a beer on the way home from work. (Yes, I know that scenario is ridiculous: It's at least as ridiculous as all of the handwringing going on about the pending change ...)

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT