Proposed changes to teacher licensure will 'exacerbate' teacher shortage, educators say

• Yokohamaboy Heber City, UT
    July 15, 2018 8:02 p.m.

K-12 received 47% of the States spending in 2017, so almost 8 billion dollars. However, isn’t there no law directing that the school districts report what their funding is spent on? I feel like the money is already there but I don’t see where it goes.

• thots TOOELE, UT
    July 15, 2018 3:03 p.m.

I can see this rule change be good in the case of attracting teachers from out of state.

I can see it being really bad in other instances. I had a college professor who came in from industry to teach a multivariable calculus class. He knew his stuff, as he could do all sorts of things to solve these incredible difficult math problems. However, those of us in the class were often left exchanging confused glances at each other as we struggled to follow his logic, as we all wanted to be able to duplicate what he was doing.

Teaching K-12 is even more difficult to jump into because not all of those students are as invested in their own learning as we were in my college classroom. When I went into teaching, I thought that I would be teaching math. I found out that I am actually teaching students. Contemplate the distinction, and you will begin to see why this proposed rule change won't be good in all situations.

• birder Salt Lake City, UT
    July 14, 2018 3:30 p.m.

@fullypresent:
    Benefits for teachers have gone down the tubes since 2011. The state legislature dramatically reduced the benefits, and districts have removed many benefits, also.

• Orem Parent Orem, UT
    July 14, 2018 1:42 p.m.

The continued attempts to attract people to public education are hilarious at best. It isn't like there is a long line of people that want to become a teacher after working in business. I can just hear them now, "Yes let me take less pay, for worse working conditions, less respect, and worse benefits than I have at my current job".

Sure there might be a retired person or two that would want to do this but the ones I have seen don't last too long.

The solution is still the same old simple solution that the legislature wants to keep denying. PAY them more. When teaching becomes financially attractive, the shortage will disappear overnight.

Yes it is that simple.

• squirt Taylorsville, ut
    July 14, 2018 8:20 a.m.

Some of these posts are dripping with anti-union sentiment and a lack of respect for the complexity of teaching.

• marileecr Salt Lake City, UT
    July 13, 2018 10:47 p.m.

I attended this board meeting. Those who gave public comment included concerned parents, practicing elementary and secondary teachers, district specialists, teacher educators, and a UEA member. All cited research that claims teachers are more effective when mentored by professionals in the field where they can get specific feedback on their classroom practice. The current ruling would grant teaching licenses to people who might know content, but don't understand teaching pedagogy, differentiation, identification of children with special needs, contextualization for English learners, or classroom management. Countries with the most praised education systems provide extensive teacher preparation so all children's needs can be met. All the comments made were based on research and personal experience in schools. Only ONE person spoke in partial support of the licensure rule change. That person agreed that university prepared teachers are preferred. I hope the board listens and amends the licensure ruling so that all children have the benefit of a qualified teacher.

• DN Subscriber Cottonwood Heights, UT
    July 13, 2018 3:23 p.m.

The opposition seems to be coming from the teachers' union members and educators who have a vested interest in protecting their "rice bowl" from outsiders who can do just as well teaching without jumping through all the worthless "educational theory" hoops.

Of course, not all people without traditional teacher training will do as well, and many would benefit from it, but to require everyone is a waste of time and only serves to sustain the teacher shortage and justify demands for teacher pay raises.

Team teaching and mentoring for the early time teaching is certainly a good idea, and far better than requiring seat time in "education" courses.

Support the changes.

• chhs2 Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 13, 2018 9:17 a.m.

I don't disagree with the rule change but... will it help solve education's problems? The environment the teacher works in is difficult. With large class sizes. teaching to individuals may be impossible. Bored students cause problems. Money is and will continue to be an issue, in spite of raises. The school district and the legislature seem to have the mindset of how we can educate with the least amount of dollars instead of focusing on what the teacher and student need in the educational process. What they don't need is more testing, but the style of the day is measurement.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    July 12, 2018 9:23 p.m.

Traditional teachers have to move with the times. It might help if outside teachers were required to team teach for 2 or 3 weeks with a seasoned experienced teacher to be mentored and coached by them. Many teachers in our districts were recently given good raises. Many enjoy many holidays off and summers if they do not have a need for a 2nd job. They also enjoy good benefits. If that doesn't help attract new teachers than we have taught our children and grandchildren to focus on the wrong things in society. We need to stop pushing high tech jobs as much and push teaching as a respected, honorable profession. They have the opportunity to make a significant difference in the lives of thousands of children. Some of the intrinsic rewards of the job need to be pushed and advertised as well.