Do you own an iPhone? New study says you're probably rich

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    July 15, 2018 11:13 p.m.

I read something once about inner city poor kids that wore the most expensive Michael Jordan shoes. Their parents were on public assistance but they were going to make sure their kids had them to fit in at school and because they all loved Michael Jordan. Kids were even killing each other in some places to take them from kids.

These status things sometimes have nothing to do with whether people can afford them or not. Otherwise, you wouldn't see homeless people with cell phones.

• Fullypresent Salt Lake City, UT
    July 15, 2018 11:09 p.m.

There are poor people all over this country including inner city kids that own them. It means nothing. Their parents and some of these other adults are going without other things to own them. They are status symbols even the poor own.

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    July 11, 2018 12:37 p.m.

Hogwash! Go to any soup line in any ghetto/slum and you can find gang bangers and drug addicts talking on their iphone as they await their free meal. I saw a picture of michelle obummer, poster person of what a first lady should NEVER be, serving soup to a group of "poor" folks as they took selfies with her on their iphone.

• Prometheus Platypus Orem, UT
    July 11, 2018 11:25 a.m.

I'm not rich by any means, but the android platform is horrible, complicated and susceptible to viruses and other cyber attacks.

I own Apple at home, work on Apple at work, and have an iPhone, it isn't about a fashion statement of status symbol, it's about a product that works. I left the PC platform in 2000, and never even glanced back.

...and it's never caught on fire or exploded.

• Big J Bountiful, UT
    July 11, 2018 9:59 a.m.

I knew it! If only I had one then I would be rich.

• NeifyT Salt Lake City, UT
    July 11, 2018 9:56 a.m.

@HSTucker,

I consider those with annual income over $65,000 to be plenty wealthy for sure. If I had that much I would easily be able to afford a nice house paid off in just a few years, be completely debt free; and even have plenty money to actually have some children.

But, even at that amount of money there is no way I would buy an iPhone piece of over-priced garbage that is a status symbol and nothing more. Perhaps, that is why I would be rich at $65K; because I prioritize my money and not spend it on unnecessarily expensive stuff.

• birder Salt Lake City, UT
    July 11, 2018 9:19 a.m.

Not always. You can get older/less popular models for a lot less.

• HSTucker Salt Lake City, UT
    July 11, 2018 9:14 a.m.

It's interesting that the Deseret News considers those with annual income over about $65,000 (top quartile 2016) to be "rich."

• Kralon HUNTINGTON BEACH, CA
    July 11, 2018 8:46 a.m.

Good to know someone spent money to determine that if you purchase goods considered "expensive" you are most likely rich.