Utah mom writes, illustrates and self-publishes phonics book series

• rvalens2 Burley, ID
    July 6, 2018 1:17 a.m.

When I was a senior in high school, I took a 4th-year, college-level Spanish course. The instructor of the class — who was a native speaker — asked me to read a section of the book from which were studying. I read two paragraphs and when I completed them she said, "Excellent. Now, tell the class in English what you just read."

When I told her I didn't understand much of it, her reply was, "How can pronounce every word perfectly and not understand what you have read?"

I shrugged my shoulders and said, "I was taught how to read using phonics."

"But you learned English phonics!" To which I replied, "Yes, but the skill transferred over. I just had to learn how to pronounce a few words in Spanish and I was on my way."

I will be forever grateful to the teacher in Arizona who taught me phonics. Though she only had me for half of a school year (first grade), it changed my life.

• Ademann Spring, TX
    July 5, 2018 7:56 p.m.

Phonics-based beginner books that don’t have soul-killing artwork are impossible to find. I hope these books find enough success to begin a revival of the traditional ways of teaching. I hope they convince publishers to pick up on the trend.

I know so many parents who put in honest hard work with their children using whole language homework sent home from school and their second-graders still struggle to read books and certainly are missing out on prime years of enjoying reading. It’s a broken system, and these Dash books, in their simple beauty, are a miracle.

I’m a Home Education consultant and I just spent the afternoon with a client who ended up buying these after we looked at a dozen other systems.

• HSTucker Salt Lake City, UT
    July 5, 2018 4:50 p.m.

This story has so many things to like.

I have tremendous respect for those willing to buck the system, to disagree with the "experts" and confidently pursue their own path.

Amelia Murdock and Ashley Imlay: Well done!

• TAS Tehachapi, CA
    July 5, 2018 9:26 a.m.

The only problem with phonics is that the English language is not completely phonic. There are words like to, too, and two which are pronounced the same but spelled differently. If English was phonic like German, you would know how to pronounce the words by the way it is spelled. Learning to read English requires recognition of those words that are not phonic.

• What in Tucket Provo, UT
    July 5, 2018 9:05 a.m.

A century ago there was little illiteracy in the US as phonetics was taught. In the past few decades not and now 40% or so of high school students do not read at acceptable levels. Phonics will help a young person to read much sooner. This is a great article.

• Awzzz Weirsdale, FL
    July 5, 2018 6:41 a.m.

These books are so beautiful!! I’ve been following her series on Instagram and seen so many other parents having success with these sweet and educational books.

• Fiddlesticks Orem, UT
    July 5, 2018 12:30 a.m.

Wow, looks fantastic!

• humbug Syracuse/Davis, UT
    July 4, 2018 9:14 p.m.

Phonics is the best way to learn to read. My second son had a set of black and white booklets in first grade that were phonics based. He learned to read more quickly than his other 3 siblings learned.

Great idea to have these books. They will be greatly appreciated by parents who are trying to heal their children learn to read.

• Xerxes Payson, UT
    July 4, 2018 8:24 p.m.

These books are beautiful, charming, and require decoding rather than guessing.....Thank-you so very much for creating them! What a great series to teach reading in a lovely and correct fashion!

• vm2011 Payson, UT