State defends elections law in court challenge from Count My Vote

A.G. says success of other initiatives proves process fair

• MaxPower Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 5, 2018 8:56 a.m.

The date for signature withdrawals should be the same as the date the petitions are due. If they can convince a small number to remove their signature, there should be equal opportunity to seek new signatures.

• MaxPower Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 5, 2018 7:37 a.m.

My biggest fear is this opens the door for intimidation and threats.

As posters above have stated, there are drives to get people to remove signatures. Imagine if that were an employer! An employee could feel like their job was in jeopardy solely based on how they felt about Count My Vote.

If you change your mind about signing a petition, simply vote No when it is on the ballot!

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    July 4, 2018 2:21 p.m.

@JBs:

And I'm certain that signature gatherers were always 100% honest about what effect the petitions would have. I'm sure they were always polite and took "no" for the answer. Because nobody getting paid by the signature would ever have any reason to deceive or pressure anyone into signing something. /sarcasm

@sgallen:

It used to be by county. Now it is by Senate District. The point is to protect rural rights by not allowing urban majorities to run roughshod.

This parallels exactly the Electoral College, the makeup of the US Senate, and the process for amending the US Constitution all of which give a voter in Utah a little additional power compared to a voter in Cali or New York State.

Our entire form of government is based on the delicate balance between majority rules and protecting minority rights. Geographic based representation and giving some extra power to rural areas are key components of that balance, in addition to the independent judiciary that can ignore the majority of voters in the majority of States (31 States on a recent hot button issue) if that is what is needed to protect minority rights.

• JBs Logan, UT
    July 4, 2018 9:30 a.m.

I'm certain the people from Keep My Voice were polite and didn't try intimidation tactics to get people to remove their signatures because they are above those kind of voter suppression techniques. (sarcasm)

• Yuge Opportunity Here Mapleton, UT
    July 4, 2018 6:50 a.m.

I don't know whether to laugh or cry about Count My Vote. It was clearly an effort to make sure money talked in selecting candidates for the ballot.

It was intended to stop establishment candidates from being "primaried," a deliciously ironic term in Utah.

But the dysfunctional Utah GOP has made it anything but reform. CMV never settled the question. It only brought voter confusion and lots of bickering over petitions, caucuses and convention delegates.

But, some lawyers are getting rich.

At this point, the movers-and-shakers surely must wish they had never started the mess in the first place.

• Thomas Thompson Salt Lake City, UT
    July 4, 2018 5:39 a.m.

We don't get to "take back" our votes in the voting booth, why should this be any different?

• Mark from Montana Davis County, UT
    July 3, 2018 11:18 p.m.

My daughter signed the Count My Vote petition. At least three times people, always men, showed up and wanted to speak with her about removing her name. Every time they were obnoxious and had to be told repeatedly to leave.

Next time I will make sure I sign the petition, and when they show up, will have the sprinklers come on, plus get a hose to soak them with. I wonder if it would be possible to get a restraining order or a 'no trespass' order against them.

• sgallen Salt Lake City, UT
    July 3, 2018 8:57 p.m.

I think the bigger issue is the 26/29 counties. A handful of people could derail the will of the majority of voters