Many Utah firework accident victims are kids under 5, health professionals warn

• B-Real2 Saratoga Springs, UT
    July 4, 2018 4:56 p.m.

Utah should do what many other states do that still allow fireworks. Do them on the 4th. And then sure, throw in Pioneer Day and New Years. There’s no reason for people to be setting off fireworks 10 days a year. We leave every year the week of the 4th. Only way to survive July. Get out of town for part of the month.

• out4trout West Jordan, UT
    July 4, 2018 3:17 p.m.

I'm sorry but there is no need to panic over fireworks. Parents you have a responsibility to watch your children and make sure they are safe. If you are afraid of injuries take them to the "Stadium of Fire" show in Provo or keep them indoors. Inattention by parents is the number one reason children get injured during the Forth of July Holiday. If you have teenage kids they must be supervised also. If your child/husband/wife is older than a teenager keep them from excessive alcoholic beverage consumption and we will all be a lot safer. Let's use our brains on the 4th instead of letting them wander off on holiday.

• SLTing Payson, UT
    July 4, 2018 2:58 p.m.

This story hits close to home for me. Last year on the night of July 3rd my almost 5 (her birthday was the next day, on July 4th) was hit by a firework. We weren't doing anything unsafe- the adults were lighting them and the kids were over on the grass watching. An arial firework misfired and instead of shooting up, it shot straight out and hit our daughter. We had a hose on right there on the grass which we grabbed and used immediately which helped, but the damage was still extensive. She ended up being airlifted up to the burn unit. She had deep, significant burns on a good portion of her body. I share this because it shows how dangerous they are, and while this was probably a "fluke" it shows that they can be dangerous even when you are using them responsibly. Be safe. I don't wish what she went through or our family went through on anyone.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    July 4, 2018 2:34 p.m.

@NoNamesAccepted

"Is it possible for the DesNews to run a story about fireworks that doesn't have a negative angle to it?"

Maybe it's because there's no positive angle to fireworks and people are starting to realize it.

• xert Santa Monica, CA
    July 4, 2018 9:26 a.m.

I know parents will heed this warning. Keeping kids safe in our nation and looking out for the welfare of kids who aren't are own---we are so good at that as Americans aren't we?

• Sore loser Oakland, CA
    July 4, 2018 8:39 a.m.

There’s a PBS show currently airing called Brimstone and Fury about a Mexican fireworks event in Tultapec and a few scenes are graphic injuries to people getting hit in the eye and blinded

• NoNamesAccepted St. George, UT
    July 4, 2018 8:37 a.m.

How do childhood injuries from fireworks compare to injuries from climbing trees, riding bikes, jumping on trampolines, or even playing soccer? How do all of these compare to the long term effects of sitting on a couch all day playing video games?

Kids under 5 are getting burned from sparklers, not hurt with aerials or other fireworks that would be first types some want to ban. Proper supervision and age limits are key.

• mrjj69 bountiful, UT
    July 4, 2018 6:19 a.m.

hopefully parents will heed this warning,,

• Y Ask Y Provo, UT
    July 4, 2018 4:45 a.m.

Because free range parenting! Woot! Woot!

• ERB Eagle Mountain, UT
    July 4, 2018 12:15 a.m.

To all the people saying, I know what I'm doing and I'd never have a fireworks accident, just google how many accidents there are. Every one of those thousands of people thought there's no way an accident would happen. 4 people die on average, every year from fireworks, let alone thousands of fires, each year.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    July 3, 2018 11:03 p.m.

Hey, Utah, the 2nd driest state in the nation, allows fireworks in July. Kids beware. Darwin's law.

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    July 3, 2018 10:42 p.m.

Most of these "accidents" are burns, and not from fireworks that shoot into the sky or anything like that. They are the same as I got when I was a kid growing up. It was as simple as me as a young kid holding the sparkler to high on the shaft and the sparkler burning down to my hand. I still remember the burn.... very many years ago. That burn was typical of what little kids get.... not from the many other kinds of fireworks.

I applaud efforts to keep fireworks safe. But please, lets not go to hysteria. As a kid I got hurt many times. Fell off my bike several times. Went over the handlebars and face planted ---- needed several stitches to close my chin back up. The list goes on and on. Rather than trying to wrap ourselves in over protective safety blanket rules.... lets teach how to safely do these activities.