Most black males reach the middle class or higher. Here's what drives their success

Return To Article

Commenting has temporarily been suspended in preparation for our new website launch, which is planned for the week of August 12th. When the new site goes live, we will also launch our new commenting platform. Thank you for your patience while we make these changes.


  • katy Salt Lake City, UT
    July 9, 2018 7:13 p.m.

    A very important fact that enters into this study should have been disfunctional families and children raised without a father in the home. I wish I knew how all children could have homes with both father and mother and drugs/criminal behavior not part of their lives. But I know it is important for children to feel loved and have good examples if they are to reach their potential.
    That's the bottom line that parents can do something about.

  • sashabill Morgan Hill, CA
    July 8, 2018 11:18 p.m.

    It's interesting that attitudes of "victimhood" and "racial identity" politics apparently do not show up among the factors for success.

    Not surprising.

  • majmajor Layton, UT
    July 4, 2018 10:29 a.m.

    Very well written, and thanks!

    Regardless of race, what most people in Utah, (52nd of 54 states and territories in military service per capita) don’t understand is that military members are better educated and healthier then their civilian counterparts. High school, criminal backgrounds, physical fitness, obesity, and medical and mental disorders actually disqualify about 80% of the US population from service.

    Those that serve continue to train, grow and develop greater depths to their intelligence, physical fitness, self discipline, patience, and depth in decision making skills. The civilian community does nothing to support job-hopping individuals. The Services also have a great interest in retaining highly qualified individuals and offer informal and formal mentorship, and schooling, to provide those individuals with the keys to success.

    The military starts with the top-20% of the US population, values their volunteering spirt, and hard work, and the services create environments that the nation’s best and bravest succeed.

    I was privileged to be associated with those that had the courage to serve. Never cared about race. I appreciate those that met every challenge.

  • Say No to BO Mapleton, UT
    July 3, 2018 10:21 a.m.

    Looking at these charts and hearing about all the oppression suffered by people of color (Colin Kaepernick's organization), you wonder why minorities are literally trampling down the fences to get in the United States.

  • CVgal Northern Utah, UT
    July 3, 2018 8:16 a.m.

    These figures are wonderful! There has to be a new "moral awakening" and I don't know how that will happen. We pay people more for having more babies, encourage anyone and everyone to sign up for various giveaways, and throw money at problems which are not working. There would have to be a new Renaissance in morals.

  • UtahTroutStalker Draper, UT
    July 2, 2018 12:55 p.m.

    I am not contradicting the study, but given who sponsored it I would like to see more studies and perhaps some more deep diving into the correlations between marriage, military service, and church attendance.

    While some will comment that marriage represents traditional morals that will of course lead to more success does the same hold true for same sex marriages?

    If military service contributes to success - how? Is it affordable college, and mortgage loans? Is it discipline that is instilled in the military? A combination? Could these same advantages be gained through other experiences besides the military?

  • UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    July 2, 2018 12:06 p.m.

    "So if you accept this article; it shows that "black lives matter" and "white privilege" movements are incorrect. It shows those who are pushing this agenda have socialist beliefs. Instead of earning what they have they want others wealth and hard shared with them."

    Perfectly exemplifies attitudes that are so corrosive. That some (or even most) are now moving forward does not mean that we don't have issues still to work. If someone has cancer, and they have a 40% chance of succumbing to that disease, you don't stop working because they have 60% of survival (or success). And it doesn't mean that we don't worry about cancer and say it is a myth made up by socialist.

    Just last week we have an unarmed youth that was gunned down - and the officer has been charged. In Utah we have a security guard who abused his authority and shot and killed a man. He has been charged. It is proof that their still are those who take this authority and misuse it. In these cases the law came down on the right side. That is the right step. But it doesn't mean that cause is won and we let down our vigilance. Holding police responsible isn't a socialist value... its an American value.

  • imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    July 2, 2018 11:40 a.m.

    This doesn't seem to fit with the statistic, the true statistic, that has most of the crimes being committed by black or hispanic males. Something has to be wrong. Look at the demgraphic of the prison population and the truth comes out very clear.

  • mightyhunterhaha Layton, UT
    July 2, 2018 11:31 a.m.

    So if you accept this article; it shows that "black lives matter" and "white privilege" movements are incorrect. It shows those who are pushing this agenda have socialist beliefs. Instead of earning what they have they want others wealth and hard shared with them.

  • shamrock Salt Lake City, UT
    July 2, 2018 11:27 a.m.

    @GrainofSalt:

    "Most" means more than half, regardless of context. Unless you're the Cheshire Cat, you can't just make up your own definitions.

  • RiDal Sandy, UT
    July 2, 2018 10:34 a.m.

    The Report elucidates one of the most unrecognized aspects of success for all races and all men:
    "The biggest gap for black males appears to be marriage. Only 20 percent of never-married men and 44 percent of divorced males make the middle class or better, but 70 percent of married men are middle class."

    I would submit that, although "marriage" is the most easily identifiable parameter, it is all traditional moral and ethical values in a lifestyle that contribute to success. That is exactly why those qualities have evolved to become "values". They are not just arbitrary, and when society promotes them it is not out of a dogmatically religious imperative to "impose morality on everyone". Morality exists because of its real, positive effects on successful human existence.

  • Thid Barker Victor, ID
    July 2, 2018 10:18 a.m.

    All minorities are doing better economically under the president Trump's policies.

  • GrainOfSalt Draper, UT
    July 2, 2018 9:07 a.m.

    @bass679, while that may be the literal meaning, in the context of the article it is misleading. As with all things, what is being said must be taken in context of the topic.

  • HSTucker Salt Lake City, UT
    July 2, 2018 9:01 a.m.

    Thanks, Lois, for a fair-minded article on the historical progress of blacks in America. From 38% reaching middle class in 1960 to 57% in 2016. Given the record employment levels among blacks in the Trump era, I expect that last percentage to jump up if measured again in 2020.

    "The biggest gap for black males appears to be marriage. Only 20 percent of never-married men and 44 percent of divorced males make the middle class or better, but 70 percent of married men are middle class, the report says."

    It seems to me that if activists who claim pervasive institutional racism redirected their time, effort, and money to reject popular culture and to reinforce norms of marriage and fidelity, the world would be a better place.

  • Tekakaromatagi Dammam, Saudi Arabia
    July 2, 2018 8:55 a.m.

    I love this article. Good study.

    This article is about what is working in fighting poverty. (Some of us still care about the war on poverty). Marriage is important and reducing out of wedlock births.

    "Singletary, who as a volunteer teaches financial principles to inmates, said "what we think about those guys is wrong. … Some are monsters, but there are a lot who if you just give them a chance will benefit our community." They need help to re-acclimate and find jobs, she added."

    We want to punish the guilty with a justice system. But rehabilitation should be the main purpose. So sentencing could propose to a young man, "Get your GED and enroll in a community college (we'll pay) and you won't go to prison." Once the young man is invested in this behavior, it becomes a habit and he progresses.

  • blackattack Orem, UT
    July 2, 2018 8:44 a.m.

    Very interesting article and data. It's great to see positive news related to African Americans and that they are faring better than decades ago. Hopefully this information will build momentum that will further improve the outlook for minorities in America.

  • bass679 Novi, MI
    July 2, 2018 7:30 a.m.

    @GrainofSalt
    Not to be pedantic but that's literally what "most" means...

  • GrainOfSalt Draper, UT
    July 2, 2018 6:39 a.m.

    The headline says "Most black males reach the middle class..." then the first line states that, "Nearly 6 in 10 black men reach the middle class or higher by middle age..."
    Nearly 6 in 10 to me means less than 60%. While that may be a majority, it is a far cry from "most". The overall trend is promising, but there clearly is a lot more to be done to encourage and enhance the success of these youths over time.