Mitt Romney claims victory over Mike Kennedy in Utah Senate primary

Former presidential candidate cruises in primary in bid for Hatch's seat

• modad Salt Lake, Utah
    July 5, 2018 4:23 p.m.

What's with this "doesn't live here crap. If that's the only thing that's buggin you from supporting a candidate that wants the best for Utah and has a conservative platform then what's the big deal? Also, it's easy to condemn a persons track record when all you have to do is say that yes, I don't have a track record but by darn, my track record, if elected will be perfect and unpickable apartable...lol

• Gildas LOGAN, UT
    June 28, 2018 12:42 p.m.

While I was disappointed I was hardly surprised. Utahns always seem to choose the wrong guy.

It's not that the politically active are out of touch with the voters, it's that the voters are too lazy to attend political meetings or check out the candidates. If we had that kind of voter I believe Mr Kennedy would have done much better.

We now have another 'conservative' that doesn't live here in Utah, although I have no doubt he has a mansion here as well as elsewhere. We have a man that did not stand up for the rights of the unborn when it really counted and who organized socialized medicine.

One thing I like about Romney is that he stated that China needs to be challenged in international trading, just like Mr Trump in fact, which is why I could never understand his hatred for the President.

Ah well! I will stand by GR's election win as I stood by DJT's, but with far less enthusiasm. May he do good.

• Thomas Jefferson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 28, 2018 7:28 a.m.

BYUalum says:

"President Trump needs to have unity in his party's leaders. I congratulate Romney and hope he will give his support to the President and not be a maverick and attention seeker as we see in our neighbor state of Arizona. "

Exactly. When you have an ego like donalds, there is only room for 1 attention seeker.

BigAlAvenger says:

"Utah has probably put another McCain in the Senate."

No. McCain was a war hero. Romney, like the donald, never served but claimed the thing they would have done anyway (mission for romney, avoiding std's for donald*) was their 'service'. We can only hope that Romney has the nerve to be another McCain.

*His words. Look it up.

• BigAlAvenger Summit, UT
    June 27, 2018 11:36 p.m.

Utah has probably put another McCain in the Senate.

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2018 7:46 p.m.

Brave Sir Robin - San Diego, CA

Romney not a resident of Utah? Please inform yourself on any state's residency requirements and Romney's compliance with Utah's requirements.

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    June 27, 2018 4:39 p.m.

@Brave Sir Robin - San Diego, CA - from what I have read is that Romney has listed his legal residence in Utah now for 10 years. That doesn't mean he doesn't have residences other places. But if that is where he pays tax, has his drivers license out of, is registered to vote... that pretty much makes you a resident of that state.

What is that you think makes someone a resident of a state.... ?

• 4601 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2018 12:46 p.m.

Republican insiders voted 49% for Romney and Republican voters gave him 73%. It's a good example of leadership not in contact with the voters.

• Thomas Jefferson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 27, 2018 10:49 a.m.

RiDal -said:

"Very odd outcome. I don't know ANY Republicans who voted for Romney. I wonder if there was crossover voting from Democrats?"

Here is an example of exactly what I was talking about. People who only talk to other extremists and then wonder why Romney destroyed Kennedy.

You should get out from in front of faux news. Go outside. See the sun. And meet your neighbors for a change.

And because you dont seem to know this simple fact, Democrats (or independents) are not allowed to vote in the republican primary (but they still are forced to pay for it).

• bemorefair Villanueva, NM
    June 27, 2018 10:40 a.m.

I love the out-of-touch far-right wingers with their "wha-wha-what happened" whining this morning. They are so out of touch with reality they actually thought they would defeat Mitt Romney. LOL

It is time to take back the party of Lincoln from the far-right cuckoo birds that are hijacking the Republican party.

Speaking of out of touch, Kennedy's apology to a well known, big-time bigot (Rev.) Jeffress was the nail in his coffin. What was he thinking???

• NEAD SLC, UT
    June 27, 2018 10:38 a.m.

@RiDal,

You don't know a single Republican who voted for Romney even though he won the primary by a 3-1 margin? Good grief, man.

You obviously live an extremely sheltered existence and have chosen to cut yourself off from people who disagree with you. You would be well-served by changing your habits so that you are able to interact with those who have even a slight difference in opinion and outlook.

• All American Herriman, UT
    June 27, 2018 10:34 a.m.

@Lia - Sandy, UT
    June 27, 2018 9:17 a.m.

He was born in Michigan, lived in and was governor of Massachusetts, lived in Utah since 2013 where he owns two homes. He does not stay in a hotel here - no need to.

But it doesn't matter where he's lived in the past, he lives here now, and is a transplant like many others who now live in Utah.

• Hank1950 Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2018 10:23 a.m.

I would like to congratulate Mitt Romney and John Curtis they will represent Utah and every one in this state well. This shows that the caucus system is wrong. When people of this state are allowed to choose they select the best candidates. Get rid of this stupid caucus system if the caucus had its way these wonderful people would not have been on the ballot. Obama Care and Romney Card are not the same. Romney was finding ways to save the people of Massachusetts money and still give them health care he did not spend countless billion on his program He cut the budget he did not increase it. He was a wonderful governor for all of the people of Massachusetts.
    Mr. Romney and Mr. Curtis represent all of the people of Utah not some right wing elite caucus group. I am so happy they won.

• RiDal Sandy, UT
    June 27, 2018 10:10 a.m.

Romney will still now probably win, but conservative enthusiasm and turnout has been heavily damped.

• West Jordanians of Utah WEST JORDAN, UT
    June 27, 2018 10:01 a.m.

Way to go Mitt, I mean Senator elect Romney. Yes I will call the November race now. You and Senator Lee will rep us well in Washington. I don’t care if you don’t live in Utah. It happens all over the country. Hilary didn’t live in NY until she decided to run.

• HSTucker Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2018 9:36 a.m.

"There are residents of 49 other states who will be glad to see Mitt Romney going to Washington. I'm a Democrat, and I'm one of them."

Yes, I expect Democrats all over the country will be pleased to see Mitt Romney representing Utah.

• bryantL Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2018 9:35 a.m.

"At the convention, Kennedy positioned himself as David to Romney's Goliath, even passing out foam stones to his supporters. It was enough for him to emerge as the conservative alternative to Romney among the dozen Republicans in the race"

This is gross negligence in reporting and should be retracted ASAP. I was there and Dr. Kennedy made it very clear that his analogy had nothing to do with Romney. In his analogy, Dr. Kennedy was the stone, and the Federal Government was Goliath.

Please take your responsibility as a news outlet seriously. People might actually think what you are saying is accurate from time to time.

• A Guy With A Brain Enid, OK
    June 27, 2018 9:34 a.m.

@ marxist - Salt Lake City, UT - June 27, 2018 6:38 a.m. - "Romney told the Deseret News the day he launched his campaign that he is with Trump's domestic policy agenda to lower taxes, ..." The CBO says Trump's tax cut is sending Federal debt creation into the stratosphere. How will Romney comment?"

My comment: You're going to need more "facts" than that to convince anyone what you claim is true: names, dates, articles, dollar figures, the background info on who supposedly said it and why. You know, "facts".

• DonO Draper, UT
    June 27, 2018 9:28 a.m.

Proving once again that convention delegates as a whole do not come close to representing the electorate. Kennedy beat Romney at the GOP convention, then had his hat handed to him in the primary. The caucus/convention system is dead. The sooner everyone realizes it, the more time and money they can save.

• Lia Sandy, UT
    June 27, 2018 9:17 a.m.

@one vote - Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2018 7:28 a.m.
    "Isn't he from Massachusetts?"

Yes..He will get a PO Box here, like Hatch, who is ALSO not a Utahn,
    so that everyone thinks he lives here.
    When he DOES visit, he stays at a nice hotel.

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    June 27, 2018 9:14 a.m.

imsmarterthanyou - you said "Well this is another sad day for the people of Utah, looks like we are getting at least 2 more years of the same thing we've been sick & tired of for years."

You do know Senate seats are for 6 years - right? Unless something else is happening in 2 years...?

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    June 27, 2018 9:08 a.m.

"Isn't he from Massachusetts?"

No.... but nice try. By the way, Hatch wasn't from Utah either. Lots of politicians run in states and areas where thy weren't born. Is that some kind of new litmus test? Can only run where you they were born?

• Astoria Jim Mamaroneck, NY
    June 27, 2018 8:44 a.m.

Although a Senator is elected to represent a single state, the greatest among them realize the opportunity...even the obligation...to serve the entire nation as well.
    Mitt Romney has both this opportunity, and obligation: At a time when Democrats have little influence, and many other Republicans have demonstrated little courage, Mitt can be a voice for both common sense and common decency in Washington...a one man check and balance on the current President.

• Thomas Jefferson Cottonwood Heights, UT
    June 27, 2018 8:40 a.m.

You know what is ironic? When the uber right thinks its crazy ideas are mainstream because they only ever talk to other people on the uber right. That is what the caucus system 'does' for Utah. It elects the fringe candidate and ignores the actual will of the people.

But it is funny to watch the uber right complain now.

Good luck to Mitt. I sure hope he doesnt bow down to the worst president we have or will ever elect like the rest of the GOP.

• Gil Bates Mayfield, UT
    June 27, 2018 8:35 a.m.

There is a false concept in political science that those who do not go to the ppolls to vote are lazy or simply disinterested.

But there is a group that deliberately stay home rather than choose between Jenny or Mitt.

The algorithms miss these people altogether, especially if they miss a few elections.

But they are a vibrant cadre of swing voters. They gave Trump the victory. They came from BOTH parties.

U-UP and No Labels don't appeal to them. Such campaigns are just a mash-up of outliers from both parties.

Those who predicted the Trump victory included this group in their models. They were right.

The Utah GOP in particular needs to understand this truth. So far, I am not hopeful.

• tesuji Bountiful, UT
    June 27, 2018 8:22 a.m.

I hope Romney keeps calling out Trump on his terrible actions.

• Yorkshire Logan, UT
    June 27, 2018 7:43 a.m.

Lots of whining and crying in the comments here.

I am personally very relieved.

Now Mitt, just don't let us down.

• one vote Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2018 7:28 a.m.

Isn't he from Massachusetts?

• dski HERRIMAN, UT
    June 27, 2018 7:21 a.m.

I voted for Kennedy yesterday knowing he did not have a chance. I have Romney fatigue. I voted for him twice in the past. When he failed to defend himself in the face of negative campaigns against him, I personally felt he cracked under political pressures. Remember, his Romneycare in Massachusetts was the blueprint for Obamacare. That being said, I will hold my nose and vote for him again in the general election. What other option is out there?

• SGU84770 St. George, UT
    June 27, 2018 7:19 a.m.

Perhaps if Romney had been more aggressive spending money in the final weeks of the 2012 campaign against Obama, 4 years of presidential radicalism could have been avoided. Seems a tad unfair that $1million dollars in presidential campaign donations could be used for a local election.

• BYUalum South Jordan, UT
    June 27, 2018 7:00 a.m.

God bless America!

• Flashback Kearns, UT
    June 27, 2018 6:56 a.m.

Jennie should concede now and save a lot of money.

• Lolly Lehi, UT
    June 27, 2018 6:39 a.m.

I heard them say, "we got him", the caucus system will win again since we have forced a Primary and our man will win. As in every other thing, it has always been may the best man/woman win. But in the caucus system it is our man or woman since as a caucus and even though we are a few, very few, the people will follow our lead. It was not to be and Romney earned this and I know his family, his parents and Byron Hansen must be very proud.

• marxist Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2018 6:38 a.m.

• Infocus Gunnison, UT
    June 27, 2018 6:38 a.m.

Abolish the caucus! It has tarnished utah! Come on people....beware of the rogue.....

• bill in af American Fork, UT
    June 27, 2018 6:33 a.m.

My question now is how many of these "true conservative" Kennedy supporters will now turn their support to Romney? I appears that the "true Republicans" have spoken.

• imsmarterthanyou Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2018 6:21 a.m.

Well this is another sad day for the people of Utah, looks like we are getting at least 2 more years of the same thing we've been sick & tired of for years. I voted for Kennedy and now I have no other choice but to vote in Romney. I really would have liked someone new who has the same values as me. Romney values what will make him popular no matter what that is. I has sided with the democrat on more than one occasion and I don't believe he will be a good support to president Trump, who had my vote and will again. Best president in over 100 years!

• What To Do Salt Lake City, UT
    June 27, 2018 6:19 a.m.

I agree 1000% with those that have once again brought to light the disparity between what the delegates and the Caucus systems produce as candidates and those who the public feels best represents them. It is once again clear that the GOP is out of step with the wishes of the public by continuing to push ultra-conservative candidates.

"Count My Vote" was the one ray of light that would have provided a more open process to the ballot for many who wish to serve the community in which they live. However thanks to the efforts of the Ult-right and the support of the Utah GOP, who only wants to maintain power and control by the lobbyists and power brokers, we do not have that option this year.

I sincerely hope that "Count My Vote" will continue to fight for the rights of the people and help bring​ good reasonable candidates to office.

• Irony Guy Bountiful, Utah
    June 27, 2018 6:03 a.m.

A good number of voters I know register Republican so they can vote in that closed primary, but they are really independents.

I think the independents elected Romney. The arch-conservatives turned out en masse for Kennedy, and there still weren't enough of them to make a dent.

As for me, I didn't get to vote in the Republicans' little private election because I won't play the registration game--even though they run their club elections on my tax dime.

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    June 27, 2018 3:02 a.m.

Utah is really going to regret this choice. Mitt is interested only in what's best for Mitt.

• DarthMaul Vernal, UT
    June 27, 2018 2:15 a.m.

The big government establishment movement, AKA the swamp that needs draining just keep on getting re-cluttered by the extreme tunnel visioned rightists or leftists in both parties. The young smart generation needs to step up and dethrone the career politicians.

• LadyMoon Crestucky, FL
    June 27, 2018 12:59 a.m.

Romney already proved he does NOT have the ability to make America great again. He’s too weak, too flip- floppy and was steam-rolled by Trump when Romney proved to be unequal to our president. Get the next Olympic Games, Mitt. You are good at that!

• Grammy3 SOUTH JORDAN, UT
    June 27, 2018 12:44 a.m.

I have hated the caucus system since I moved up here from California. I feel that everyone should have the chance to vote for who they want to represent them back in DC. I did not want Romney at all. Yet I voted for him because I did not really know anything about Kennedy. I tried to listen to him on the radio and was not impressed at all. Just like the Presidential election I voted for Trump because there was no way I was going to vote for Hilary. Today I felt the same way. I agree that something has to be done about the caucus system we need to go back the way that it use to be years ago. Allow those who want to run have a Primary and the one with the most votes goes up against the Democrat. Not the way that this has been.

• The Educator South Jordan, UT
    June 26, 2018 11:05 p.m.

Once again convention delegates prove how out of touch they are with voters.

The sooner we can get rid of the caucus system, the better.

Good riddance!

Get Educated

• It Begins In Utah Logan, UT
    June 26, 2018 10:16 p.m.

There are more than 700,000 registered Republicans in the state (about 47% of all registered voters).

Probably just over 300,000 of those registered Republicans voted in the primaries (about 45% of them, or 20% of the entire state).

80% of registered voters did not or were not allowed to participate in the primary.

It looks like Romney will get about 72% of that total vote (just over 14% of Utah's registered voters supported him in the primary) while about 28% will have supported Kennedy in that election (less than 6% of our total registered voters).

It doesn't seem to me that this is the most representative way to choose those who represent our state.

• RWOFVA RIVERTON, UT
    June 26, 2018 9:50 p.m.

Kennedy won the convention 51/49% but in the primary Romney won 73% of the vote. What more proof do we need that the convention process gives too much power to the more radical zealots in the party.

• Astoria Jim Mamaroneck, NY
    June 26, 2018 9:38 p.m.

A Senator is elected by only one state, but many Americans look to the finest Senators to stand up for the best interests of all Americans, not only those in the state from which they were elected.
    Mitt Romney displayed rare courage speaking out against the excesses of Donald Trump during the 2016 primaries. Now, at a time when Democrats have no power or influence, and many Republicans are too timid to admit the continuing excesses of this President, Mitt Romney has the opportunity to be a voice for common sense and common decency in Washington.
    Hopefully he will use this platform.

• mightymite , 00
    June 26, 2018 9:34 p.m.

It is a sad state of Utah politics . I hope the next generation is smart enough to fall for Utah norm. It will take some time but I believe we will turn an corner.

• CBowden Ogden, UT
    June 26, 2018 9:26 p.m.

Thank you for mentioning the other candidates in the race. Hopefully we can start to hear more about their positions and news about each as we continue into the general election. This is a conversation, not a coronation.

• Sanefan Wellsville, UT
    June 26, 2018 9:06 p.m.

Thomas nailed it. Anyone and everyone knew Romney would win a primary. The current system is designed to make sure only a few ultra conservatives are represented. Tick tock the game is locked. Fortunately, there were enough Romney supporters at the caucuses to force the primary that the whole world knew would be won by Romney and by a huge margin. Thankfully. Time to get rid of the current caucus system.

• Brave Sir Robin San Diego, CA
    June 26, 2018 8:57 p.m.

Question: How do you become a senator for a state you're not a resident of? Hillary Clinton did it in New York, and now Romney? Seriously, how is this legal?

• Thomas Paine South Jordan, UT
    June 26, 2018 8:44 p.m.

This is definitely proof that the Caucus/Convention system doesn’t represent the voice of the GOP party members. Delegates consistently vote against the will of the the voters they pretend to represent.
    Thankfully, we have a system that addresses the caucus system shortcomings.

GOP Leaders, listen to the registered party members. Either fix the caucus system or give it up!

• Proud Polynesian Mahn Provo, UT
    June 26, 2018 8:42 p.m.

Voted for Kennedy, in all honest to goodness I don't know why we're sending a non-Utahn to DC. The guy who for all intents and purposes wasn't supposed to lose 2012, all he had to do was be aggressive against Obama. But he chooses to be aggressive against Trump who honored Utah by giving us back our lands that Obama grabbed. I wasn't a big Trump supporter, but heck he's done more for UT than any President in modern American history. Now we're putting in a liberal MA former Governor who gave us Obamacare, yes I said it, Obamacare was fashioned after Romney care and ya'll gonna hate, but do some homework and tell me it ain't so. Anyways, just thought I'd get my 2 cent in there, that I'm not too happy about Romney.

• UtahBlueDevil Alpine, UT
    June 26, 2018 8:33 p.m.

You've got to wonder about those who claimed Romney wasn't Utahan enough, wasn't conservative enough - ney - a RINO - when they realize that 3 out of 4 Utahans disagree, and think Romney is conservative enough for them.

• I M LDS 2 Provo, UT
    June 26, 2018 8:29 p.m.

Well, of course. How could it be otherwise. This is Utah, so predictable.