LDS Church's FamilySearch database to add same-sex families to Family Tree feature

• Bill Morgan RIVERTON, UT
    Aug. 19, 2018 3:46 p.m.

In regard to the church's recent movements regarding homosexuals, in less than 10 years we will resemble the Episcopal Church. It's a good bet we will homosexual Bishops and Stake Presidents. bill morgan

• kp Arlington, TX
    July 22, 2018 7:50 a.m.

People need to be able to document their family history. That's all there is to it.

• rdean92 Los Angeles, CA
    June 19, 2018 2:29 p.m.

It turns out, Gay people are actually, wait for it.. people.

• rlynn Brandon, FL
    June 18, 2018 6:40 a.m.

After reading some comments I found that two points are being confused. The first is many do not understand what genealogy is, it is the study of family ancestral lines, connecting the relationship of one generation to the next, which produces a pedigree. They need NOT to be genetical relationships. Adopted children are as much apart of family as those that are genetically connected. As a professional genealogist for the past twenty years, I have encouraged those who are adopted follow their heritage or adopted line. The second point is FamilySearch is NOT the LDS Church. Yes, it is funded and directed by the LDS Church, but it is not the Church. As an ex-Mormon who is Gay, I want my great grandchildren to known about me and my husband, we apart of the lives of our grandchildren lives. Will they not have their hearts turned to their fathers? So my marriage should be recorded for future generations in FamilySearch. They will find our marriage in the Utah marriage records. Why Hide it?

• jzwillows willows, ca
    June 17, 2018 9:09 a.m.

As for the reason for this, it is in line with the Church's actions regarding the lgbt. The Church has always tried to show as much kindness as possible to this group. This is another way to do that.

• GingerMarshall Brooklyn, OH
    June 16, 2018 10:12 p.m.

@PBradley: "And I've gone through contortions in my mind to justify past race and the priesthood policies, polygamy, etc, but this could be the last straw on this particular camel's back."

That, right there, should tell you someting important.

Seriously. Read it again. Why do you have to contort your mind to explain away the past? To justify things that, really, are unjustified and unjustifiable?

• GingerMarshall Brooklyn, OH
    June 16, 2018 9:56 p.m.

@jsf: "...but last time I checked, you can't change gender. It's a sealed complete scientific fact."

Biological sex is determined by at least a dozen genes and hormones within the womb during key phases of fetal development.

External genitals only tell part of the story. Internal organs can match, or be different.

Furthermore, interuterine neurological development is also impacted by multiple genes and hormones. MRI technology is finding strong evidence that brain wiring does not always match external genitals.

It is far, far from "sealed scientific fact."

• 1Technician Roosevelt, UT
    June 16, 2018 9:50 p.m.

@ Paul in MD,

Thank you for your words. I just find conflict in what has been done with FS and the doctrine taught in "The Proclamation...." in regards to the definition of family. Without the church as a constant in my life, fighting for what is right, and defying all that is evil, I find it hard to comprehend the intent of this change.

• Frozen Fractals Salt Lake City, UT
    June 16, 2018 7:39 p.m.

Well marriages are marriages, there's nothing complicated about adding that in. As for children of same-sex couples... how are adoptions typically handled in these databases?

• MormonGirl Spokane, WA
    June 16, 2018 3:24 p.m.

Knowing that not one of us is perfect in this life - I have perfect faith that Heavenly Father and his Son Jesus Christ love us.
    I'm glad the important facts of this life can all be recorded on Family Search.
    The Church is not bowing down to current pressure. We are to obey the laws of the land in which we live. That is part of why this change is made.
    Every child of God just wants to be loved and accepted. Hate the sin - love the sinner.

Try hard not to carry nor cast any stones, we live in tough times. Please rise to the occasion.

• M_Hawke Golden, CO
    June 16, 2018 2:42 p.m.

@Bluto and others, you are reading WAY too much into this. This is just an adjustment to reality, albeit an unfortunate reality, that to properly record family history, this change needs to happen. A family tree is NOT church doctrine, it is pure information., that's all.

• PBradley Sydney Australia, 00
    June 16, 2018 1:56 p.m.

A very worrying decision of the Church. For years we have been proud of a faith that has sent out a sure sound of the trumpet, a clarion call of truth that no-one could misinterpret. It's such a sound to which many have been attracted.

Now, like many of the other Christian churches, the trumpet is sounding very off-key. Mixed messages are coming from the Brethren. Some have expressed disapproval in General Conference talks of same-sex marriage, while the only message we hear from others is inclusiveness for gays. And, the "inclusive" message has become far more powerful than the opposite, particularly with the changes to FamilySearch.

So what happens when a child of a gay couple joins the church? Once his or her "parents" die, can they then be sealed to their parents in the temple? I don't know how this can ever unravel without a strike at the foundations of our doctrine.

If the next, seemingly inevitable, step is taken, I'm out. I've based my testimony on the Spirit, the Book of Mormon, the doctrine. And I've gone through contortions in my mind to justify past race and the priesthood policies, polygamy, etc, but this could be the last straw on this particular camel's back.

• Password Lincoln, NE
    June 16, 2018 9:01 a.m.

It would appear that the current church leaders have not been cut from the same cloth that early church leaders were!

• JBs Logan, UT
    June 15, 2018 11:06 p.m.

This is a comment, not DN feedback. I'm getting that more, for some reason.

Anyway, after reading the comments here, I'm reminded strongly of the parable of the 10 virgins, who we know represent members of the Church. Just a thought.

This is such an important change. We need to be able to see how people are linked and have it correctly documented. It's too bad it is causing problems for some because it will be a blessing for so many.

• illuminated Kansas City, MO
    June 15, 2018 7:34 p.m.

@Brentbot

Shortly before the Savior's coming to America, the Book of Mormon says that the wicked had "seduced the more part of the righteous until they had come down to believe in their works and partake of their spoils". Helaman 6

You're beginning to see this in the modern church with news like this. You're seeing signs of it more and more now. I was shocked at the attack by the current leadership on past leaders like Brigham Young for the Priesthood ban. Over 120 years of LDS doctrine has been disavowed. It's open blasphemy against God's keyholders and, I'm very sad to say it, but this is a clear sign of apostasy.

We're getting very close to the second coming when even "the very elect will be deceived". Don't put your testimony in men. Put it in Christ through the Scriptures and the Spirit. Hold your family close. It's time to start praying more.

• BrentBot Salt Lake City, UT
    June 15, 2018 1:12 p.m.

"Slouching toward Gomorrah" never thought the LDS Church would be facilitating the decline in civilization.

• Paul in MD Montgomery Village, MD
    June 15, 2018 12:14 p.m.

@WhatdoIKNOW, it sounds like you are striving valiantly to follow the commandments of God under a very difficult set of circumstances. Please continue on your chosen path.

This announcement is not a change in church policy or doctrine. This is a change in a piece of software the church makes available to the public, not just for LDS temple work. I think the church sees some wisdom in changing the software to allow more people to record their family history and access the information already there. I'm sure there is much to this decision that we have not heard.

I do not believe this portends any change in church doctrine regarding same-sex marriage and temple work, nor do I believe that such a change will ever occur. As stated in conference a few years ago, making it legal doesn't make it right.

• Paul in MD Montgomery Village, MD
    June 15, 2018 11:55 a.m.

@ashbash63, there are a great many families that are not based 100% on genetics. In my own case, my parents were divorced when I was 11. Dad remarried two years later, when I got a step-sister, two step-brothers, and another sister (step-mother's younger step-sister by their father, who she later took in as a foster daughter and eventually adopted). Dad and step-mom had a child together a little while later.

Dad and I joined the church a while later.

When they could marry in the temple, my other siblings were sealed to them, but I had to wait until 18, when I didn't need permission from biological mom.

Parents adopted two more kids out of the foster system. They were eventually sealed to the parents as well.

Family Search shows us as one big family, the way Father will look at us when we arrive. Genealogy is about family, which is about much more than blood.

• Cinci Man FT MITCHELL, KY
    June 15, 2018 11:39 a.m.

So many silly comments on this. Amazing. This is the right thing to do and in no way affects the Church's policies or doctrines. Ordinances to seal gay couples is not in this change. God allowing same sex married couples in the celestial kingdom was not announced. How would same sex couples procreate in the celestial kingdom? Probably the same as they do today - not.

Does surgery to change the gender of the body change the gender of the spirit? No.

The Family: A Proclamation to the World is still good.

• spydyee Asheville, NC
    June 15, 2018 11:37 a.m.

@ashbash63 It is obvious to me that you have no idea how well the LGBTQ community works together to create biological children. My best friend for many years was a gay man. He and his partner were both lawyers. They worked with a beautiful lesbian couple to have several children through IVF. They had and raised together four beautiful children 3 girls and 1 boy. Each couple raised two of the children. Each child was the biological offspring of one of the members of the family who raised them and was adopted by the other parent.

Also, how dare you say adoptions don’t count! My son is adopted by his “dad” and sealed to us. His “biological father” is not in the picture here or in eternity. I am also pretty sure Emma Smith would have a problem with what you are saying! I am pretty sure those precious adopted children of hers are equally as important to her as her own blood children.

• spydyee Asheville, NC
    June 15, 2018 11:18 a.m.

I hope that the ability to record both the birth name and gender as well as the transgender name and gender of an individual will be added during this process or very soon afterward in an update to the system. This is wonderful!

• mominthetrenches South Jordan, UT
    June 15, 2018 9:31 a.m.

Family Search is for ANYONE to use, and as comments have been brought up earlier, this is such a helpful tool to put our families together. This can answer questions or put people in touch, who need information about their families, whether medical or just because they want to connect with their loved ones. It will be a blessing to have anything improve accuracy on Family Tree. Why wouldn't we acknowledge this when there are family units shown on here, such as common law, polygomous and concubine (from other cultures) situations? There is a rising interest in family research, with the way DNA testing is being utilized, and isn't it great that ANYONE can put together a family line on FS and track things about their families? I will say that I have wondered about ordinance work, mainly the current green icons that allows us to request ordinances to be done. Will that Sealing to Spouse one now show? I'm sure that, too, will be handled, and I will support whatever is done about it. I am very excited to learn about this change!

• William Gronberg Payson, UT
    June 15, 2018 9:00 a.m.

I would like to propose the following change to FamilySearch.

The "Sources" section needs to be changed.

I have folks that have 80-100 "Sources". I suggest that there should be within "Sources" a "Primary" and a "Secondary" section. The FamilySearch patron would have the power to decide which section to place each "source".

In my opinion FamilySearch patrons should put birth, marriage, divorce, death, burial and census records in the "Primary" section.

They should use the "Secondary" section for less significant records. An example is "obituary" clippings that just mention a particular person who is remotely related. People with Southeast Idaho backgrounds often have their names in a large quantity of these clippings. The computer indexing of obituaries is a major contributor.

Subject change:

Many people apparently do not know that they can rearrange the "Sources". Ideally patrons should put "Sources" in a logical order starting with birth.

"Sources" titles can be changed using the "Edit" feature. It takes time and effort to "Edit" source titles, but the result is a better family history.

The 1940 census should not be in "Sources" 3 or 4 times.

• BestSolutions Orem, UT
    June 15, 2018 8:55 a.m.

I am sure that the church is doing all that needs to be done to avoid lawsuits. Since Family Search is open to the general public, and the general public uses it then it would accommodate all the public. Groups like the ACLU are taxpayer funded and have unlimited resources, while the church would have to pay all the cost of a lawsuit itself. I think it is pretty obvious the trend that society is taking. This does not change the church's stance on what constitutes a marriage in God's eyes and what kinds of marriages can become eternal marriages via temple ordinances. God's laws are unchanging and eternal. This change encourages everyone to contribute genealogy information. I personally hope that by accepting individuals , not specific practices or behaviors which are against my beliefs, that we can foster friendship to everyone. We can focus on the things we have in common which may include ancestors. Then Gay people will think more kindly about those who are not Gay and have different values and beliefs from them. We need to be kind and friendly to everyone and still be able to adhere to our own beliefs and values. We respect everyone and expect them to respect us.

• Egyptian origins Salt Lake City, UT
    June 15, 2018 8:41 a.m.

Are you kidding me?
    Genealogy is supposed to be our biological/DNA sexual unions of males and females; thus the original meaning of the root "Gen". For the Church to provide alternative parents to their genealogical program strays from its intended purpose and has been the cause of many problems such as Mormons doing Temple work for Holocaust victims. Throughout the Church's history they've switched back and forth as to whether or not just main lines should be done, but by branching out there are more opportunities to attend the Temple, though it denies others the same opportunity, thus, there are family conflicts as a result. It's bad enough that the Church provides ordinance names for those who don't bring their own family names, taking names away from other member's family lines. With the Church's doctrine of Exalted Families, a change from Exalted Couples, this conflicts with alternative family structures, but is a way to provide more baptisms for the remodeled Jordan River Temple which completes the most baptisms of any other Temple. So, this news tells me that the Church is running out of names for members to do ordinance work.

• Gajepi FR, 00
    June 15, 2018 4:05 a.m.

Ici en Europe nous avons les mÊmes questions que vous, les mÊmes intÉrrogations, les mÊmes doutes. Mais si nous comprenons bien le "pourquoi les choses sont ainsi" nous pouvons comprendre que tout Ça est "normal". Le PrÉsident Nelson est le prophÈte et il recevra la rÉvÉlation pour la suite À donner sur le sujet. Nous avons besoin d'un ProphÈte vivant pour que ces questions dÉlicates soient comprises et appliquÉes correctement. Je viens de voir que Adolf Hitler Était dans la base de donnÉes F.H. cela a donnÉ beaucoup de questions...., mais il doit aussi passer par lÀ...non ? Les rÈgles de l'Eglise en matiÈre d'ordonnances du temple ne changent pas ...sauf, si le Seigneur rÉvÈle À ses serviteurs les ProphÈtes quelque chose d'autre que ce que nous savons sur le sujet. Donc, pour le moment, suivons le ProphÈte et ne soyons pas dans la crainte...., qui est À la barre ? Le Seigneur... et croyez-moi Il sait exactement ce qui est bien pour nous....!

• Sketch Bountiful, UT
    June 14, 2018 10:30 p.m.

Patience and faith go a long, long way at times like this. I have been a genealogist for over 40 years, and a family history consultant in many different wards, and I have been witness to many, many changes in how the Church handles genealogical records. It may get tougher to learn the changes every day, but we keep on going.

I personally was surprised by this announcement, and had to think about it for awhile, but then I had to smile. President Nelson surprises us at every turn with new ways to love, accept, and minister to one another. Now we can also minister to more people in new ways. We are all God's children. He expects us to be gracious and caring toward each other. Now we have another way to practice that commandment.

• WhatdoIKNOW Roosevelt, UT
    June 14, 2018 6:48 p.m.

This is filling me with some very mixed emotions. A person strives their entire lives to live the commandments of God, and avoid falling into sin because of same gender attraction, sustains the leaders of the church when they produced "The Family: A Proclamation to the World", battles lustful desires for individuals of the same gender, feels blessed for having married the opposite gender, raised some amazing children, and yet still feels a whole in their life that cannot be filled, and now the Church is acknowledging same gender couples and "their" children as families. I have never had such a hard time with a change in policy as I am having with this one. Are we not to be in the world, but not of the world? I need to get some PH leadership counseling on this one.

• cthulhu_fhtagn Seattle, WA
    June 14, 2018 4:36 p.m.

@NWClerk

"(1) Families can be together forever.
    (2) Homosexual families are families.
    Therefore:
    (3) Homosexual families can be together forever.

Yes, it's a faulty syllogism, but mark my word: Stipulating that (2) is a valid premiss will cause this faulty syllogism to be heard over and over and over again."

The fault begins at (1), which contains undefined terms and cannot be substantiated in its given state.

• refmccain denver, CO
    June 14, 2018 4:27 p.m.

This policy is certainly about more than data collection. The Lord challenges us often to go deeper into His doctrine for additional perspective. This is as good a time as any to deepen our understanding of of temple doctrine and practice.

• MarcMG Orem, UT
    June 14, 2018 3:48 p.m.

Changes in the civil law do not, indeed cannot, change the moral law that God has established. Civil law if not constitutional by the Lord's defenition cometh of evil, e.g., Roe v. Wade, obedience to the Nuremberg Laws provided the impotece for the holocost, Governor Bogg's extermination order of the Mormons . . .
    What is becoming of Christ's Church, who has ascended to power? As members of the church if we stand by doing and saying nothing is it any wonder that the cleansing will begin with us?
    D&C 112:
    24  Behold,   vengeance   cometh speedily upon the inhabitants of the earth, a day of wrath, a day of burning, a day of   desolation, of   weeping, of mourning, and of lamentation; and as a whirlwind it shall come upon all the face of the earth, saith the Lord.
    25  And upon my   house   shall it   begin, and from my house shall it go forth, saith the Lord;
    26  First among those among you, saith the Lord, who have professed to know my   name  and have not  known me, and have   blasphemed  against me in the midst of my house, saith the Lord.

• MarcMG Orem, UT
    June 14, 2018 3:38 p.m.

D&C 84:4 "I say . . concerning the laws of the land . . my people should observe to do all things whatsoever I command them . . . constitutional [law], supporting . . freedom in maintaining rights and privileges . . is justifiable before me . . pertaining to law of man, whatsoever is more or less than this, cometh of evil."
    Same-sex marriage fundamentally changes and has consequences on religious freedom, society, families and children. Changes in the civil law cannot change the moral law that God has established.
    Elder Oaks redefines the Lord's defenition of constitutional law:
    Elder Oaks: "Even where they [believers] have challenged laws or practices on constitutional grounds, once those laws or practices have been sustained by the highest available authority, believers should acknowledge their validity and submit to them. Even where they have challenged laws or practices on constitutional grounds . . . when acting as public officials they are not free to apply personal convictions—religious or other . . . A county clerk’s recent invoking of religious reasons to justify refusal by her office and staff to issue marriage licenses to same-gender couples violates this principle."

• MarcMG Orem, UT
    June 14, 2018 3:30 p.m.

We follow the example of the Saviour by loving the man but not the evil that he does.

In the 90s a BYU professor told me that the church would eventually sanction same-sex marriages. I thought him well intentioned but misguided and illinformed.

However, the church is repeatedly coming out on the wrong side of same sex issues. First, siding against individual liberty and freedom in favor of special LGBT rights in Utah by prohibiting the individual right to discriminate in respect to their own property.

Then the church cut off at the knees the most vulnerable in a same sex household, those with the greatest need for a connection to the light that the church has to offer through the Savior, namely the children.

Then Elder Oaks at the Second Annual Sacramento Court/Clergy Conference in
    Sacramento, California October 20, 2015 excoriated the public servants who refused to issue same-sex marriage licences because it was a violation of their religous beliefs.

Then the tacit affirmation of homosexuality via D. Todd Christoffersons brother's Deseret Book deal and book signing events.

Now the Church is adding same-sex families to Family Search which is the temple name database.

• lancehol Denton, TX
    June 14, 2018 3:23 p.m.

I thumbed through the comments and I wish I wouldn't do that. Now that I've done so my view is this. This was a decision that was likely made by the First Presidency and the General Authorities of the Church. As so I support their decisions and guidance just as we all should. As I have little family left this is not likely an event that I will need to record however as someone who was adopted I have listed them as my family because they are!! I also know my birth family so my family tree has both and Family Search supports that.

• hbeckett Colfax, CA
    June 14, 2018 2:54 p.m.

names of all humans areincluded in FS so what is the big problem any way

• EscherEnigma Ridgecrest, CA
    June 14, 2018 1:46 p.m.

@ashbash63
    "[...] this is about genealogy."
    Genealogy includes tracking adoption and childless couples.

So if you're set on objecting to this, don't try to blame genealogy here.

• Seagull Suz Sandy, UT
    June 14, 2018 1:28 p.m.

Ashbash63

...perhaps that’s why the Church now refers to genealogy as “Family history” or “Temple and Family History”...

...we don’t know everything...

• NWClerk Salem, UT
    June 14, 2018 1:19 p.m.

(1) Families can be together forever.
    (2) Homosexual families are families.
    Therefore:
    (3) Homosexual families can be together forever.

Suddenly, I have lost interest in working on the bells and whistles of FamilySearch: From here on out, I'll just be doing the bare minimum required to take names to the temple.

• ashbash63 Saratoga Springs, UT
    June 14, 2018 12:11 p.m.

Believe me, I get it. We have a grandpa in our family tree we all wish we didn't, but unfortunately bloodlines are bloodlines and no matter how much we don't like it, we have his blood and not our 'real' grandpa's blood. Oh how we wish we did! Adoptions definitely are legal and can be recorded by the church as sealings, I get that, but adopted kids still don't have the adopted bloodlines. And sealing kids of same sex couples to their parents will never be an issue, assuming the church will keep its stance on only a man and woman (I suppose I should say women since men can be sealed to more than one woman) sealed together in the temple.
    It's cool that you can add other things like adopted parents or kids as an extra, but this is about genealogy. Genealogy is about individuals in a line, not marriages or family units. Namely, you are half this guy and half this girl and their birth parents are this guy and this girl, like on a birth certificate, whether the blood parents are together or not. I cannot see any instance where recording a gay marriage is relevant whether by the church, since we don't recognize them as actual unions for religious purposes, or in a genealogical line.

• bass679 Novi, MI
    June 14, 2018 11:25 a.m.

@ashbash63
    So... you think adopted kids don't count as actual family? Genealogy is about more than blood an adopted kids have been being sealed to parents almost as long as dealings have happened in this dispensation. There was even a specific ordinance to be adopted that is now no longer used. My sister and I both sealed to our step father.
    Family search already is set up to record multiple marriages and can even note biological vs sealing relationships. Genealogy is part of family history but it is far from the only thing.

• EscherEnigma Ridgecrest, CA
    June 14, 2018 11:21 a.m.

@ashbash63
    A quick Google search tells me that FamilySearch already includes both biological relationships as well as adored ones, so your concern is a bit late, and far beyond including same-sex marriages.

• ashbash63 Saratoga Springs, UT
    June 14, 2018 11:10 a.m.

This makes no sense. It's physically impossible for a same-sex couple to have a child. It's genealogy, so who your adopted parents are don't matter here. It's about blood and only blood. Whether you have an adopted parent, or same-sex parents, those don't belong in these results. Family is wonderful and acceptance and love and all that is wonderful, but our modern idea of 'family' is not genealogy. This is crazy and useless.

• Fred Vader Oklahoma City, OK
    June 14, 2018 11:06 a.m.

"...yea, and [the devil] leadeth them by the neck with a flaxen cord, until he bindeth them with his strong cords forever." (2 Nephi 26:22)

• EscherEnigma Ridgecrest, CA
    June 14, 2018 10:49 a.m.

... will being listed as in a"gay marriage" mean that Mormon family members won't try that "baptism for the dead" thing fifty years after I'm gone?

If so, sounds great to me.

• Seagull Suz Sandy, UT
    June 14, 2018 10:42 a.m.

...it has been said by sociologists, church leaders, and others that the family is the most important social unit of society...any society...

...not all families include the same numbers of children, or mothers, or fathers, or cousins, or grandparents...the success of the family unit to society is the important factor...

...all families can be united and successful...each member in a family has been blessed with gifts to give.

...families who are tied together, who show love one to another, who strengthen each other, are beneficial to societies..

...thank you to our church leaders and Family Search for recognizing the importance of including all family members in family history documentation...

...what a blessing it will be to have all family members recorded in our pedigrees and connected to our trees...

• jsf Centerville, UT
    June 14, 2018 10:33 a.m.

"I haven't checked to see if the gender of an individual can be changed in FS, but if not, that feature should probably be on the roadmap too."

I don't know if you accept actual science, but last time I checked, you can't change gender. It's a sealed complete scientific fact.

But, what ever we still have the flat earthers, the moon landing was faked, and global warming is caused by man. Fake science is alive and thriving.

• Pale Bear Orem, UT
    June 14, 2018 9:24 a.m.

@EPoint
    "I believe there is some loss of interest and activity when changes to the system make it seem even more formidable, generally, to the beginner and the novice FH patron."

I don't know where you live, but throughout the church there are Temple and Family History consultants who can help you understand FamilySearch and all its features and nuances. You don't have to go to Salt Lake or even a local family history branch. Most local ones are gone anyway because pretty much everything you need is on the computer and accessible in the comfort of your home. Reach out to your local ward for help. If you aren't a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, those same people can help you anyway. If you are comfortable with computers, there are so many helps available online through FamilySearch itself. Also check out the Riverton UT online family history center. It has pictures and step-by-step instructions. You don't have to navigate those orange road construction barrels alone!

• annewandering oakley, idaho
    June 14, 2018 9:09 a.m.

I am happy to see this. Many family historians have been puzzled about how to put same sex families in the tree. Just because we know they are not eternal does not mean we are supposed to refuse to add them to our families trees. No need to jump to any unwarranted conclusions or speculations. If you do family history you know this was a problem that needed solved. Would it make sense to refuse to add families that did not marry legally? How about children that were born out of the marriage or before marriage? They are still families whether they are perfect families or not. It is not our place to judge. Only to research and record. Accurately.

• OlderGreg USA, CA
    June 14, 2018 9:01 a.m.

Hopefully, the biological, adopted, and foster sort of tags will be more predominant.
    Some sort of common law coupling as a child source might also be helpful.

The "genetics" part of genealogy is an important part, medically if nothing else.

• shamrock Salt Lake City, UT
    June 14, 2018 8:49 a.m.

Makes sense. Genealogy is about facts, and leaving out the same-sex marriages would make as much sense as leaving out the marriages of non-Mormons.

• Traveller Farmington, UT
    June 14, 2018 8:09 a.m.

It sounds like a way to avoid potential future lawsuits to me, not a back-door acknowledgement of any future policy change.

• Joemamma W Jordan, UT
    June 14, 2018 7:44 a.m.

I'm very disappointed in the church..
    This implies the church recognizes two gay men or two gay women with kids
    (however they were acquired) as a family?.. I guess the "the proclamation to the world" and what a family is just took a new meaning in the LDS theology??
    .. What's next, gay weddings in LDS chapels followed by gay Temple marriages??

• Dan_S Provo, UT
    June 14, 2018 7:26 a.m.

Awesome change 😃

• bass679 Novi, MI
    June 14, 2018 7:03 a.m.

@ReadMineFirst
    It does not. The marriages are able to be recorded but ordinances for the couple will not be available.

This is just for accurate record keeping. For example, I have a gay cousin, she and her wife have a several children, some from previous marriages to men and one they had together via artificial insemination. Currently only the children from their previous marriages can be recorded correctly. With this change their current family situation can be recorded as well.

• Vermonter Plymouth, MI
    June 14, 2018 6:12 a.m.

@SmithyBen.
    So...the website is just documenting legal marriages. What about children of those who choose to not marry?

@RitaB.
    Glad you are coming around on same-sex marriage. But, like you say, we can all agree that 3 consenting adults attempting to live in a plural marriage is a bit much.

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    June 14, 2018 6:08 a.m.

@custer. But even though "no longer valid," plural marriage certainly WAS valid. So there is a difference when comparing to gay marriage. And, in the next life, those plural marriages, or at least many of them, are likely to continue to be valid.

• Bluto Sandy, UT
    June 14, 2018 5:27 a.m.

@Ritan
    Polygamy was ordained by God and the Prophets.
    Gay marriage (supposedly) never will be?

This is, inevitably, the next step toward Gay Temple Marriages.

What's next...
    Demands for Temple Sealings for Gay couples and children sealed to such unions?

Then...
    Demands for Transgender & "No Gender" individuals?
    They then must also be included in the data base.

Will all the temple ordinances still be listed, for an individual who had them done, before their Gay Marriage?

Or, will their record reflect the current policy i.e. Excommunication, when one enters into a same sex relationship?

If the "NO Gender" thing kicks in, eventually, there would be no way to stop Gay Marriage sealings.

The current movement in our society, is away from any "Gender Identification" at all,
    such as, on Birth Certificates and Marriage Licenses.

For example.... Salt Lake County now lists marriages only as "Spouse One and Spouse Two".
    With no Gender Identification!

What a mess.
    This is just more capitulation to the LGBT community.

"Deviancy continues to be defined downward".
    Senator Moynihan N.Y.

As a family history consultant......I'm out !

• Art Santiago Boise, ID
    June 14, 2018 2:24 a.m.

How do you record the family history of someone who is gay, then transgender, then gender-fluid, then something else, with multiple partners equally varied, and who have multiple “family members”, etc., within one lifetime? This will be a record-keeping nightmare.

• ReadMineFirst Ft. Collins, CO
    June 13, 2018 11:59 p.m.

Sort of confused here...does this mean that Temple ordinances, i.e., sealing of spouses of LGBTQ folks can be submitted? Anyone out there know?

• Mainly Me Werribee, 00
    June 13, 2018 11:10 p.m.

I would caution everyone not to read anything into this. I know there are those who hope and think the Brethren will cave into the secular world and back same sex marriage. Think again. It is clearly against the laws of God and that will never change. This is only for documentation purposes.

• custer Boise, ID
    June 13, 2018 9:35 p.m.

Plural marriages/families are documented on Family Search, even though this form of marriage is no longer valid in the Mormon Church. Accepting same-sex marriages/families simply adds to the list, and is consistent with the policy of documenting all marriages, even those considered not valid by the Church.

• missjanenc Charlotte, NC
    June 13, 2018 8:20 p.m.

For those of you who think the Church is condoning or accepting same-sex marriage you're incorrect.

This move by FamilySearch is merely a change to the program for documentation purposes and nothing more.

• EPoint Roy, UT
    June 13, 2018 8:03 p.m.

I first thought was about how this sight is never set, always changing, perhaps an orange barrel such as UDOT uses for road constructions could become part of the FamilySearch.org icon? Of course it is understood, in order to provide for accurate records of all people the changes must be made. I believe there is some loss of interest and activity when changes to the system make it seem even more formidable, generally, to the beginner and the novice FH patron.

• dpal Provo, UT
    June 13, 2018 6:47 p.m.

@Rocket2010
    I would refer you to SmithyBen's comment. He says it very well.

• Chris Norton American Fork, UT
    June 13, 2018 6:08 p.m.

This is an exciting change and a positive step for the Church and family history. Well done.

• SmithyBen Alpine, UT
    June 13, 2018 5:47 p.m.

The Church is simply documenting legal marriage records. Since gay marriage is allowed per the laws of the land, these legal family records should be documented and available to everyone. Documenting marriages is not the same as condoning same-sex marriage. The line is still very distinct and clear to me.

• SLCMom Salt Lake City, UT
    June 13, 2018 5:27 p.m.

This news makes me so happy I can't stop crying tears of joy. Families come in all shapes, sizes, colors and genders. Acknowledging this, and widening the arms of genealogy is a major step forward widening our arms and our hearts. This change is a perfect example of putting President Nelson's plea into action that we must "Build Bridges not Walls".
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• JBs Logan, UT
    June 13, 2018 5:25 p.m.

Genealogy is genealogy, facts are facts, and information is information. We need it to have a complete family and family tree.

if you have a gay son or daughter, do we remove them from our family or our family tree? No. That would be unbelievably cruel and certainly not what I believe Christ would have us do. They are our children and we love them. Let's treat them like the loved human beings they are.

• HSTucker Salt Lake City, UT
    June 13, 2018 5:23 p.m.

Plural marriages aren't currently legal but are supported by FamilySearch. It makes perfect sense to me that same-sex marriages, which are, should be able to be tracked.

• Rita B Herriman, UT
    June 13, 2018 5:21 p.m.

It makes total sense that FamilySearch would add this feature when so many modern families look like this. And I've gotta be honest. Same-sex marriage is way less offensive to me than polygamy. My ancestors experienced so much pain from polygamy, and the pain continued for generations.

• Rocket2010 Murray, UT
    June 13, 2018 4:45 p.m.

The water in that frogs pot has got to be somewhere around luke warm. I understand why FamilySearch would do this but at the same time I’m counseled to stand for something I believe in even when it’s not popular or could offend someone. I feel sometimes it seems like the leaders talk the talk but don’t walk the walk.

• RG Buena Vista, VA
    June 13, 2018 4:24 p.m.

Gotta admit, this was a bit shocking at first.