Last stop — graduation: Refugee's nearly 5-hour commute pays off

Refugee's nearly 5-hour commute pays off in his fight for the future

• hopingtomakeadifference Orem, UT
    June 17, 2018 5:01 p.m.

What an inspirational story and young man! I also love the idea of having this be required reading for all High School students in the State of Utah!!

• ER in AF Layton, UT
    June 16, 2018 7:48 p.m.

I lived 3 years in that part of Central Africa. Part of my job was investigating genocidal acts. Few people know that more people have been killed in eastern Congo since WWII than any other conflict in the world. It keeps going and everyone loses. Successes such of this one is not the norm, BUT they have to be celebrated. Ashraf and Jean De Dieu, Congratulations and I only wish you greater success in the future!

• KristenJ Salt Lake City, UT
    June 16, 2018 6:47 p.m.

His aunt was in my ESL class a few years ago. She was so scared at first but she was amazing. She used her breaks to study and worked so hard. So nice to read about her family!

• CKU Matthews, NC
    June 13, 2018 8:30 a.m.

I love his determination to succeed and wish him the best! Thank you Deseret News for inspiring stories.

• Nan BW ELder, CO
    June 13, 2018 7:31 a.m.

Granny has the right idea. If a compilation of stories about refugees who were and are committed to be helpful citizens were required reading, it would be far more beneficial to students than many books they are reading. The young man's background is sad, but there is nothing depressing about his determination to move forward. I appreciate DN for making such stories available to us. I wish these relocated individuals great success. I appreciate the screening process too.

• Lolly Lehi, UT
    June 13, 2018 6:46 a.m.

The story gives a whole new meaning to, "Whatever the mind can conceive and believe, it can achieve" What a story!

• Granny Saint George, UT
    June 12, 2018 11:03 p.m.

Wow, this article should be required reading for every high school student in Utah.