Elizabeth Smart abductor Wanda Barzee refuses to attend parole hearing

• ERB Eagle Mountain, UT
    June 13, 2018 12:08 a.m.

I can't think of any reason why Barzee should be released. I feel the info in the article is true, she's still a danger to society.

• twinkleberry67 Layton, UT
    June 12, 2018 7:43 p.m.

I agree that Ms. Barzee is a wily one and crazy like a fox not to mention a master manipulator. Going by what I know of her history with her children, she has more than demonstrated that she has been mentally ill for a long time. Since she has refused to undergo a mental health evaluation, they should assume that her mental illness issues are still a problem. I strongly suspect that if released she would more than likely end up as a homeless case pushing around her belongings in a shopping cart with her mental health issues compounding exponentially due to lack of treatment. I opine that for her sake, she should stay in an environment that is both safe for her and society at large. I for one would rather see her get the help she needs rather than being dumped out of the system as another statistic.

• tqseal Liberal Central (Sugarhouse), UT
    June 12, 2018 7:00 p.m.

@Impartial7
    At the expense of more kidnappings and rapes before she is caught and locked up again?

• NeilT Ogden, UT
    June 12, 2018 5:12 p.m.

If I were a board member I would never vote to parole anyone who wasn't willing to appear before the board in person and plead their case. My opinion is that a mental institution is the best option for her.

• SLC Grandma Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2018 4:32 p.m.

Am I correct in assuming Williams is her court-appointed attorney? I guess she wouldn't be able to pay for one..but he hasn't seen her for a year so how can he really represent her in a legal sense. In a moral sense she is beyond representation, totally delusional.. probably pretty wily, as one responder has said. What would she do, where would she go if she got out?

• LStrebel Clovis, CA
    June 12, 2018 4:27 p.m.

Incarceration may be expensive in dollars to the taxpayers, but the peace of mind to her victims (Elizabeth and her family) is invaluable.

• Harrison Bergeron Holladay , UT
    June 12, 2018 3:06 p.m.

It may be that she feels prison is the best place for her; she may be correct. I wonder if a mental institution wouldn't be a better fit though. It's money well spent keeping her out of society either way.

• Impartial7 DRAPER, UT
    June 12, 2018 2:06 p.m.

She's smarter than we think. She knows that she can't make it on the outside. She's got stability in prison (at taxpayer expense) and wants to live the rest of her years that way. Really want to punish her? Give her parole.

• USAlover Salt Lake City, UT
    June 12, 2018 12:46 p.m.

Honestly, when I hear of people like Barzee getting parole, I seriously question the sanity of our justice system.

• bamafone Salem, UT
    June 12, 2018 12:42 p.m.

For what she did to Elizabeth, the sentence should have been life. The least that should be done is the maximum sentence. Too many sex offenders and child offenders are released, knowing that deviant behavior is never really fixed.

• SCros St George, UT
    June 12, 2018 12:07 p.m.

Humm...let's look at this from another perspective. Mr. Scott Williams has his picture on TV, in all the newspapers...he got what he wanted.

• Weston Jurney West Jordan, UT
    June 12, 2018 12:01 p.m.

She's got three hots and a cot. The alternative is to go back on the outside, and this time live on the street as a pariah, without her husband. Maybe avoiding parole is the one sane thing she's done.